• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am kinda interested in Red Steel 2 numbers. I think the public will really react negatively to the change away from the awesome gangsta styling of the first.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Seven hundred thousand DSes. In March.

Just let that marinate for a minute.

SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND. IN MARCH.

Baki

charlequin said:
Really kind of shocked at how well XIII did. The PS3 alone put up numbers equal to the entire first month of XII, and then the 360 moved another 500k units. Huge reversal of the series' decline in the US and going multiplatform is unquestionably a major factor.

Fantastic number for God of War 3 -- the series has now officially ascended to nearly the highest ranks pretty much out of sheer positive response to previous franchise entries -- though I expect a whole lot of crying about how the 360 still moved more hardware this month.

Nice hardware numbers all around, BTW -- this month actually looks healthy after some really anemic recent numbers.

I think God of War benefits from the fact that since exclusives are so few and far between, it got alot more attention than its predecessors. This includes the press and SCE.

Shizzlee

5z38rs.jpg

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Don't really see why people are wowed over the PS3 software numbers for the month, it is God of War 3 and FFXIII they are supposed to sell well. :lol

Good month overall though for all consoles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I Push Fat Kids said:
Red Steel II?
Fragile?
Strange Journey?
Infinite Space?
Deadly Premonition?
My guess would be that if you combined all five of those games, you probably wouldn't even reach half the 10th place game's sales.

Mrbob

360 and PS3 hardware numbers seem a bit low for a 5 week month but wow at God of War 3. This is a lot higher than anyone projected. Releasing the God of War Collection ahead of time was a great move.

MLB The Show 10 had a nice jump too. MLB The Show 09 sold 305K, MLB The Show 10 made a nice jump to 350K.

Serenity

elrechazao said:
This presumes that hardware sales would have been higher, which doesn't follow logically at all based on past performance. It's an awesome excuse however.

I mean its not like there wasn't news stories on the shortages or anything or a myriad of anecdotal evidence but of course thats all fanboy conspiracy:D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:
I am kinda interested in Red Steel 2 numbers. I think the public will really react negatively to the change away from the awesome gangsta styling of the first.

I am going to predict 45k.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Jonsoncao said:
PS3 exclusive surpassed 1m in its debut month for the first time!!!!!!

congratz SCEA :lol
What'd MGS4 get?

Also, what's with people saying Sony pulling the plug on PS2 and PSP? It's the only hardware making a profit, why the fuck would they do that? It's selling 100k+ a month. That's a lot of money being made :/

Zophar

EviLore said:
FINAL FANTASY XIII PS3 SQUARE ENIX Mar-10 828.2K
FINAL FANTASY XIII 360 SQUARE ENIX Mar-10 493.9K

That's like a 65/35 split, just like I said it would be. Was it worth it MS?

Nirolak said:
My guess would be that if you combined all five of those games, you probably wouldn't even reach half the 10th place game's sales.
Agreed. Still don't understand why Gaffers even bother to ask about these kinds of games in a sales thread... pro-tip: the numbers won't be purty,

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
survivor said:
Silver > Gold confirmed. No need to deny it Gold owners.
Gold exclusives:
Mankey
Primeape
Growlithe
Arcanine
Spinark
Ariados
Gligar
Mantine
Phanpy
Donphan
Sableye
Baltoy
Claydol
Kyogre
Mantyke
Gliscor

Silver exclusives:
Vulpix
Ninetails
Meowth
Persian
Ledyba
Ledian
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Delibird
Skarmony
Mawile
Gulpin
Swalot
Groudon

Sorry, but Gold easily has the better exclusives.

miladesn said:
Hardware is very low for both PS3 and 360 compared to Feb.
and I think Versus will remain exclusive!

You forget that MS subsidized a bunch of the advertising that ended up contributing to sales of both versions, undoubtedly. (I don't believe that console specific advertising for multiplats does anything besides get the word out about the game itself, regardless of platform.)

But we shall see.

mr_nothin

Banned
Zero-Crescent said:
I thought this was a rather funny pattern. Final Fantasy XIII PS3 outsold Final Fantasy XIII 360, and Battlefield BC2 360 outsold Battlefield BC2 PS3. By a similar margin even.
Basically, give ps3 more diversity and stick to fps's on the 360! simple!

Jigsaw

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:
Don't really see why people are wowed over the PS3 software numbers for the month, it is God of War 3 and FFXIII they are supposed to sell well. :lol

gow2 sold around 800k during launch npd...now compare ps2 and ps3 hardware bases when the games were released

wizword

Banned
Cruzader said:
Yes, finally a 1Mil PS3 game! Damn.

Also I will eat my crow in that I said BC2 360 would prolly beat GOW3 sales and I am glad to do so!

and lol@ the "spinners". PS3 had the terrible thing with stock. It was around mid march that Sony addressed the issue.
So how does this change the fact that it got outsold by its two competitors? Sony incompetence when it has its two biggest console sales releases and gets outsold by its competitors is pathetic.

"ZEUS! YOUR SON HAS RETURNED!"

"The hands of death could not defeat me. the sisters of fate could not hold me. and YOU will not see the end of this day, i WILL have my revenge."

"WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW FATHER!"

Jonsoncao said:
PS3 exclusive surpassed 1m in its debut month for the first time!!!!!!

congratz SCEA :lol
Yeah, does seem like it finally happened. Took years and (what feels like) dozens of releases and a lot of good marketing. With it being the third in an already successful NA series and good marketing being the chief reasons it did well, I'm certain.

FFXIII did about what I thought it would though I honestly expected a little better showing for X360 numbers. FF does still feel like PS franchise...might take another big multi-platform release in the series to break that and have it transform into just being a big title across platform divides.

kame-sennin said:
NSMB clearly responsible for Wii's success, as well as it's previous shortage.

Releasing a 2D mario was like casting cure 3 with a recover spell added on for effect so it(HW sales) bounces back up every so often.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Zophar said:
That's like a 65/35 split, just like I said it would be. Was it worth it MS?
Do you think the Xbox 360 would have outsold the PS3 in the month of FF13's release if the game wasn't on 360?

So yeah, probably worth it.

Road

charlequin said:
Nice hardware numbers all around, BTW -- this month actually looks healthy after some really anemic recent numbers.
Total hardware per week:

January - 410k
February - 507k
March - 430k

Nintendo's strong performance was not enough. It is better than last year's March, though -- 398k per week.

spwolf

elrechazao said:
This presumes that hardware sales would have been higher, which doesn't follow logically at all based on past performance. It's an awesome excuse however.

you are right... if it wasnt in out of stock, sales would have been actually lower... thats the way internet works.

FYI, as much as i remember, it did get in-stock in force late in the month, which is probably why it got the sales it got.... and it seems it is out of stock again in many stores like target or gamestop... wtf sony...lol.

Top Bottom