• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

EDarkness

I'm fully convinced that it would have been beneficial for EA to just pull the plug on that port. No way they are making any money on that one.

Makes you think about almost any future 3rd party game getting 2nd and 3rd thoughts before committing.

You have to consider that there was the $30 deal for it on their site and it's available online on the eShop and we don't know about those sales either. I'm sure in total it's sold more than 10k.

Still, the Wii U version of Need for Speed didn't allow for players to get DLC. In a car game, that's pretty crappy.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I fucking hope so. Does the sales of Mirror of Fate make it the worst selling handheld Castlevania game to date? Didn't Dracula X Chronicles do better?

Is it being sold on eShop? That could be another 14% or so sales ha

Miles X

I doubt that revenue increase is due to the videogame portion of EDD.

Of course that's what you think.

EDD revenue increased, primarily due to higher Xbox 360 platform and Windows Phone revenue. Xbox 360 platform revenue increased $641 million or 55%, primarily due to the recognition of $380 million of revenue related to the Video Game Deferral and higher Xbox LIVE revenue

Vita is dead, PS4/720 are not out until after August, and 720 doesn't officially exist right now. Make no mistake about it, WiiU not being included in the original FIFA and Madden announcement is bad. Horrible, actually.
Not that bad. EA could still have a team developing a Wii U specific madden 25. I wish people that actually play madden and follow madden news would actually explain to me why its bad news. Especially with two next gen consoles coming out Madden is likely going through some changes fundamentally.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You have to consider that there was the $30 deal for it on their site and it's available online on the eShop and we don't know about those sales either. I'm sure in total it's sold more than 10k.

Good point. Not sure how much more it could be propelled but 10k is a bad sign.

People who own PS360's wouldn't give a shit about buying the Wii U version, much less a Wii U, in the first place anyway. Call of Duty came out all of a week later, only because Nintendo launched the Wii U a week after Call of Duty launched.

No one bought it. No one cares. No one is going to sacrifice their Live or PSN friends list and people they play with all the time for a Wii U version. Out at the same time or not, that's a reality Nintendo has to deal with and why third party support has eroded.

The idea though is that Nintendo fans would buy those games, now that they are available in a nintendo console.

It's not ridiculous to assume that, but naive considering 3rd party software sales on previous Nintendo consoles.

So it's OUR fault for not buying full priced several months late ports? Noted.

Why does that matter? Could you buy those games before?

REs4 sold better on Ps2 than on GC.

Dalthien

To an extent, yes, but stacking on the years is still how you really blow up budgets.

Which is kind of what I'm saying. If they want the same level of quality that a 2-year cycle would give them on a sequel releasing on 360/PS3, then there's a good chance that they'll be bumping that 2-year cycle to something longer in order to build the sequel from the ground up for new systems - because there's no chance at all that they will even come close to 3.4M (which is already 32-45% below expectations) on 360/PS3 in 2015.

Kimawolf

People who own PS360's wouldn't give a shit about buying the Wii U version, much less a Wii U, in the first place anyway. Call of Duty came out all of a week later, only because Nintendo launched the Wii U a week after Call of Duty launched.

No one bought it. No one cares. No one is going to sacrifice their Live or PSN friends list and people they play with all the time for a Wii U version. Out at the same time or not, that's a reality Nintendo has to deal with and why third party support has eroded.

So, with the newer systems only selling eventually in the 1 million range maybe a bit more, why would 3rd parties bother to develop for them when 99 percent of their base will still be on 360/ps3?

And why would people abandon their current friends to go to a system with maybe 500k people who own it? the technology isn't THAT impressive from everything they've shown, so it can't be that.

Road

And probably cross again (perhaps only briefly) this holiday season.

To be ahead of the DS by December, the 3DS will need to sell 4.9 million this year.

Not impossible, but not very easy, considering it sold 3.6 million last year, and three months in this year it is at ~580k against ~660k in 2012.

Very cheap options on the holiday season certainly would go a long way. The question is how much Iwata is willing to sacrifice his position as CEO (reduced their profits) just so Reggie can say again the 3DS is selling better than the DS. =P

Dawn of Sorrow did 76K in its first month (very early in the platform's life)
Portrait of Ruin did 120K in its first month
Order of Ecclesia did not chart as far as I can tell (NPD had switched from doing top 25's to top 10's at this point, I believe)

Castlevania 3DS deserved much better. It's a good game.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Of course that's what you think.

EDD revenue increased, primarily due to higher Xbox 360 platform and Windows Phone revenue. Xbox 360 platform revenue increased $641 million or 55%, primarily due to the recognition of $380 million of revenue related to the Video Game Deferral and higher Xbox LIVE revenue

The videogame deferral?

I don't see how revenue can increase when console price is down YoY as well as unit sales. Xbox Live membership increases isn't going to fill that gap.

antonz

Need For Speed is EAs own damn fault. The Game was ready for launch with the others and they sat on it instead. It would have been the only major racing game in the launch window and would have been accepted as such.

Why the fuck do I want a title they sat on for 5 months and then release for full price and not even include everything.

If it wasn't already obvious before but 3rd parties are pretty much done with the Wii U right? After this year, how many 3rd party pubs are gonna wanna develop games for it? Nintendo sure has a job on their hands getting themselves out of this situation and it's looking more and more likely that the Wii U is not going to last long this generation.

They couldn't have squandered that 1 year head start if they tried any harder. It seems like they even stopped marketing the damn thing since last December.

who gives a shit if Microsoft office is making them a lot of money that has nothing to do with the game department.

Office is part of the EDD?

His argument was that NPD was irrelevant because their revenue increased despite being down YoY, when that revenue increase likely wasn't the result of the videogame portion of EDD. For Microsoft's biggest market, NPD is certainly relevant.

Of course it's relevant, and truth is there was more money spent on the 360 platform the previous month than anywhere else too. Considering that only the 360 is actually making money in the EDD, it's pretty easy to assume the 360 platform had a hand in it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I fucking hope so. Does the sales of Mirror of Fate make it the worst selling handheld Castlevania game to date? Didn't Dracula X Chronicles do better?

I don't know the launch month, but believe it or not Dracula X Chronicles' LTD isn't that far off from 10x that.

There was a time when handheld games were pretty healthy in the US even on the PSP!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As for EA, somebody on GAF whose name escapes me was heavily hinting that they worked on the Tiger Woods series. They stated that this year's version wouldn't be on the system but next year's definitely would.

I believe this was months ago.

TheNatural

My Member!
So, with the newer systems only selling eventually in the 1 million range maybe a bit more, why would 3rd parties bother to develop for them when 99 percent of their base will still be on 360/ps3?

And why would people abandon their current friends to go to a system with maybe 500k people who own it? the technology isn't THAT impressive from everything they've shown, so it can't be that.

Because the current systems sales are in a decline stage and there's carryover from the fanbase they've built up on those systems.

You really think Microsoft is going to say 'oh this Live thing was cool, but hey we're resetting all your Gamertags all your friends list and you have to start from scratch!"

People are going to migrate over eventually. I really doubt Sony or Microsoft is going to scotch earth everything tied to accounts on the previous consoles.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Am I the only one pleasantly surprised by the Lego City Undercover numbers? Greater than 100k already makes it one of the best selling WiiU games in NA, and such a title will most likely have large legs on a Nintendo console.

Like Epic Mickey (and a few others) proved before, kid-friendly exclusive third party titles can sell well on Nintendo consoles. Everything else.... Not so much.

DaBoss

they did it with the DS to much success (almost every year at least - close enough that a consumer would feel the effects of their confidence being crushed all the same)

I know the DS Lite came out a year after the original DS, but there was a sizeable time difference between the DS Lite and the DSi.

DS Lite
JP March 2, 2006
AU June 1, 2006
NA June 11, 2006
EU June 23, 2006

DSi
JP November 1, 2008
AU April 2, 2009
EU April 3, 2009
NA April 5, 2009

EDarkness

Square Enix must be starting to feel real nervous about that Deus Ex port.

Why they chose Deus Ex in the first place is beyond me. It better be priced right, otherwise it's DOA. It it sells more than 20k, they should be happy with that. For a game that old, released on any system, there's just not much it's gonna do in the first place.

Top Bottom