• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

rdrr gnr

So, GOW:A is over 600K.
GOW III was 1.1M.

Does anyone know I and II numbers? It'd be interesting to compare them.
I think GoW III has outsold both despite the smaller install base and less time, iirc.

I think GoW: A has had a mixed response overall -- but I think Sony is probably okay with 600k.

Edit: thinkthinktinntitnthitntikthink

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As for EA, somebody on GAF whose name escapes me was heavily hinting that they worked on the Tiger Woods series. They stated that this year's version wouldn't be on the system but next year's definitely would.

I believe this was months ago.

I have no doubts that he was right at the time, but given that he mentioned he was ex-EA, the main question in my mind is if that has changed after all the cuts EA has done.

Why does that matter? Could you buy those games before?

REs4 sold better on Ps2 than on GC.

I'm sure Capcom was ecstatic that RE4 PS2 sold a little less than twice the GC amount on a system with over 7x the fanbase. Surely the GC version was the failure in that case!

Mickey (and a few others) proved before, kid-friendly exclusive third party titles can sell well on Nintendo consoles. Everything else.... Not so much.

So basically you're going to ignore the "everything else"? If you think only kiddy 3rd party games sold well on the Wii you're clearly not looking at any more than kid friendly titles...pretty sure all the CoDs were million sellers. The RE games sold well too

Ridley327

Looks like MH3U did quite OK for itself at retail. I doubt that LCU did what Nintendo hoped it was going to do, but >100k doesn't seem like a horrible total for what the Wii U install base is at right now.

100k < lego < hunter 3ds+wiiu < 130k
nfs < 10k
IGN4.7 ~ 30k

The Wii U from a 3rd party perspective is officially dead,unfortunately.
If exclusives are flopping then multi-plat's like Splinter Cell,Watch Dogs,Batman,etc... have no chance.
I may have to go ahead and dump mine while the prices are still high and re-buy one a few years from now when it's much cheaper.
Sad day, but i knew it was coming.

Terrible comparison. Install base.

moving-the-goalposts-igx7m.jpg

I'm sure Capcom was ecstatic that RE4 PS2 sold a little less than twice the GC amount on a system with over 7x the fanbase. Surely the GC version was the failure in that case!

I'm pretty sure I meant something else.

From release date, to install base. What's next to justify under 10k for NFS?

Scum

I have no doubts that he was right at the time, but given that he mentioned he was ex-EA, the main question in my mind is if that has changed after all the cuts EA has done.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There'll be no FIFA or Madden for the WiiU. I'll like to be proven wrong, but there's more of a chance of PS2/PSP versions of both.

Yeah we shall see I guess.

No madden on wiiu is a coffin nail. Same for FIFA
Oh yea it definantely would be a coffin nail for no ea support. I dont buy sports games on Wii U most likely on 720 next gen like 360 this gen im just being realistic based off EAs history with the franchise not like everybody else quickly accusing and stuff.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Tiger Woods on Wii was once the best selling version for multiple years, I just couldn't imagine them not at least giving WiiU a chance with the series.

DaBoss

Looks like MH3U did quite OK for itself at retail. I doubt that LCU did what Nintendo hoped it was going to do, but >100k doesn't seem like a horrible total for what the Wii U install base is at right now.

Oh yea, MH is a kinda game you would want digitally, but I think that card should be left unplayed. :p

Darryl

Banned
I know the DS Lite came out a year after the original DS, but there was a sizeable time difference between the DS Lite and the DSi.

DS Lite
JP March 2, 2006
AU June 1, 2006
NA June 11, 2006
EU June 23, 2006

DSi
JP November 1, 2008
AU April 2, 2009
EU April 3, 2009
NA April 5, 2009

maybe at the time they had no idea it would result in the same sales that it did, and it took them a bit to come up with a new idea? i dunno i just don't see how releasing a new handheld every year is bad. it seems like common sense business with the market that is out there right now, cellphones every year and stuff. i think you could slim down this OG 3DS that I have quite a bit and make a nice sexy device out of it.

but i have no idea how the other factors like retailers would react to that, so i'm not sure if there was anything else like that i'm missing out on.

EDarkness

Am I the only one pleasantly surprised by the Lego City Undercover numbers? Greater than 100k already makes it one of the best selling WiiU games in NA, and such a title will most likely have large legs on a Nintendo console.

Like Epic Mickey (and a few others) proved before, kid-friendly exclusive third party titles can sell well on Nintendo consoles. Everything else.... Not so much.

I think LEGO City did fairly well considering the user base.

However, it seems like third party games on Nintendo platforms are always gimped in some way. How many people have come to expect the Nintendo version to be gimped off the bat. I know I have. There's always some problem and then they'll blame the userbase for it's failings. I'll admit that NFS is a pretty good port, but at the same time it has not DLC options and this is important for car games. The latest Injustice game also has problems on the Wii U. Either the game is late, or isn't the same as the others in a negative way.

This kind of thing has to stop. If they give everyone the same game at the same time, and the game sells terrible, then I can see where they're coming from, but that usually isn't the case.

Am I the only one pleasantly surprised by the Lego City Undercover numbers? Greater than 100k already makes it one of the best selling WiiU games in NA, and such a title will most likely have large legs on a Nintendo console.

Like Epic Mickey (and a few others) proved before, kid-friendly exclusive third party titles can sell well on Nintendo consoles. Everything else.... Not so much.

Yeah, 100K at this point is a good number for a non-1st party Wii U game. Looking at Reggie's shrunken face, I think they got something going on at E3 lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tiger Woods on Wii was once the best selling version for multiple years, I just couldn't imagine them not at least giving WiiU a chance with the series.

Well it did kind of crash at one point though:

Gamasutra said:
In an environment of general software declines, Electronic Arts faces particular challenges with its Tiger Woods PGA Tour franchise. First-month sales across all formats have plummeted 68 percent compared to the launch of last year's installment, and one analyst thinks the athlete's extracurricular activities might be causing harm to the games.

The golf game, which lends itself well to Wii's motion controls, has been one of the most successful third-party franchises yet on Nintendo's console. But since its June 8 launch, the multiplatform Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 saw an 86 percent decline on Wii that Cowen Group analyst Doug Creutz called "particularly catastrophic."

"Although this is probably due in part to the fact that last year's version shipped bundled with Nintendo's new Motion Plus controller, we are concerned that Woods' scandal woes may have permanently damaged the sales potential of what we believe to be EA's third most important sports franchise, behind Madden and FIFA," Creutz says of the athlete, who has struggled with his public image since details of several extramarital affairs surfaced.
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...c_Wii_Decline_May_Point_To_Scandal_Damage.php

prag16

Banned
Yeah. I think we could get ONE to test the waters. Next year when the install base is a bit bigger perhaps. And it'll probably have the art style of the wii Madden games. -_-.

donny2112

From the console hardware graph, here's what people have posted, so far.

shinra-bansho:
Purple = 261K
Green = 209.5K
Red = 86.7K
Blue = 63.7K

Durante:
Wii U 67
Wii 91
PS3 212
X360 261

Road:
Wii U 67
Wii 91
PS3 212
X360 261

jvm:
Xbox 360 = 261K
PS3 = 210K
Wii = 92K
Wii U = 68K

me:
Purple = 261K
Green = 213K
Red = 91.9
Blue = 69

Since Road and Durante's 1) match and 2) are closer to what I came up with, will go with theirs for the consoles, unless better data comes up. Just need a real handheld number, then ...

Why the "We". You rooting for a sports team or something?
If he is a WiiU owner, wouldn't it be "we"?
Yes, exactly. He's saying that Wii U owners will be blamed for bad sales on Wii U vs. bad sales on PS360 must mean something else besides the owners fault. In that case if he owns a Wii U, it is a correct use of "we."

TheNatural

My Member!
I think LEGO City did fairly well considering the user base.

However, it seems like third party games on Nintendo platforms are always gimped in some way. How many people have come to expect the Nintendo version to be gimped off the bat. I know I have. There's always some problem and then they'll blame the userbase for it's failings. I'll admit that NFS is a pretty good port, but at the same time it has not DLC options and this is important for car games. The latest Injustice game also has problems on the Wii U. Either the game is late, or isn't the same as the others in a negative way.

This kind of thing has to stop. If they give everyone the same game at the same time, and the game sells terrible, then I can see where they're coming from, but that usually isn't the case.

That happens when people look for any minor excuse to rationalize poor sales.

Look at PS2. It was by far the weakest console and in practically all the head to heads against XBox and/or Gamecube at the time, it's third party games were almost always gimped graphically in comparison, lacking AA or some other things. Yet they sold circles around other versions almost always.

Missing a DLC here or there or some goofy feature is practically meaningless. It's looking for an excuse. The games aren't selling, not because people are sitting on message boards comparing every little thing, but because the userbase just doesn't buy those games.

Why is owning a Wii U and a PS3 or 360 mutually exclusive?

Hell, even here on GAF people talk about owning a Wii U just for Nintendo games.

The premise that 95% of Wii U owners are Nintendo fans who only buy Nintendo software on Nintendo hardware is the root of the problem.

Hence the problem isn't that the game came later, it's that they would never buy the game on a Nintendo system anyway, because they have the other systems for that.

I think GoW III has outsold both despite the smaller install base and less time, iirc.

I think GoW: A has had a mixed response overall -- but I think Sony is probably okay with 600k.

Edit: thinkthinktinntitnthitntikthink

GoW II - 550k

Everything else is much lower.

Then Ascension is the second biggest launch in the series. Similar situation was in UK as well. It's pretty decent after all, especially considering that it outsold Judgment, if we count bundles, and it's a spin-off title.

donny2112

Well it did kind of crash at one point though:

It "crashed" to only doing more like the PS3/360 versions had been doing. That's also the version following the whole infidelity scandal for Tiger Woods, too, so it makes sense that the mainstream version of the game, the one more likely to be bought for the name attached to it, would suffer when the name attached to it is besmudged.

Edit:
In fact, all the versions had drops that year, but Wii's was just far and away the biggest drop, since it was 1) bundled with Motion+ before Wii Sports Resort was even released the year before and 2) the most exposed to mainstream buying changes. There really wasn't a legitimate sales reason to drop the Wii version from TW13 on, in my opinion.

Darryl

Banned
also, looks like OK sales on MH3U and Lego. as good as they would've ever gotten. pretty bad numbers on NFS. I hope they weren't expecting much from it.

i'm still completely confident that Wii U can recover and do great numbers. i haven't see a cross-gen strategy from MS/Sony yet that will prevent it from catching on. this stuff is far from doomed, but it is a funny situation to look at in the moment.

I don't understand this thought that Wii U games are going to have long legs(i.e. Lego City). Wii games had long legs because the Wii was selling a shitload of hardware every month. New users pick up games with those consoles along with the huge install base that already existed.

Why would a current Wii U owner interested in Lego City not have already bought the game? It's not like they have a backlog to work through based on software sales numbers.

That happens when people look for any minor excuse to rationalize poor sales.

Look at PS2. It was by far the weakest console and in practically all the head to heads against XBox and/or Gamecube at the time, it's third party games were almost always gimped graphically in comparison, lacking AA or some other things. Yet they sold circles around other versions almost always.

Missing a DLC here or there or some goofy feature is practically meaningless. It's looking for an excuse. The games aren't selling, not because people are sitting on message boards comparing every little thing, but because the userbase just doesn't buy those games.

We're comparing the PS2 and the Wii U to be on some kind of comparable level? PS2 graphics were never an issue.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Then Ascension is the second biggest launch in the series. Similar situation was in UK as well. It's pretty decent after all, especially considering that it outsold Judgment, if we count bundles, and it's a spin-off title.

GoW2 was actually 833K, but yeah it's still not horrendous given it wasn't numbered.

I do think comparing it to GOWII is pretty appropriate.

When you take into account tha ps2 install base was probably >1.5x that of ps3 at the time each were released and the ps3 was already released when GOWII came out I'd say Ascension did reasonably well comparably.

You could also make the argument that GOW is now a bigger property than when GOWII was released. Not sure though if that's measurable or even valid.

Top Bottom