• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

RoKKeR

Wow. That's the only chart that need to be shown with regards to Wii U.

That's really, really bad. I would guess it's tracking ahead of N64, but I don't know if those numbers are even around.

You also have to consider how much larger the market is now.

It's abysmal for the WiiU.

popeutlal

I wonder if Call of Duty for Wii U is showing any legs at all. The games did just decently enough to stay on Wii. If Activision ever drops Wii U, then they've really got nothing for third party support.
Nope, Wii U version now actually now has less players compared to a month ago.

Daingurse

100k < lego < hunter 3ds+wiiu < 130k
nfs < 10k
IGN4.7 ~ 30k

tumblr_lwt2ceglmP1r7azwyo1_500.gif

Oh shit, Need For Speed was a great port and a commendable effort by Criterion. Damn.

Takuhi

How did the DS castlevanias do at launch?

Dawn of Sorrow did 76K in its first month (very early in the platform's life)
Portrait of Ruin did 120K in its first month
Order of Ecclesia did not chart as far as I can tell (NPD had switched from doing top 25's to top 10's at this point, I believe)

I still say that people are being way to hasty in writing off EA Sports support for the format. I mean, FIFA still gets released on the PS2, for Pete's sake. If they can get 5k out of a zero effort port or roster update, they will do so.

Non-Sports EA games, on the other hand? Yeah, they're probably not happening.

The WiiU is really gonna be Gamecube isn't it?

Well, sales may pick up once there are price-cuts and a 3D Mario is released for it. But it is never gonna be big.

Sony & MS better not fuck-up like that.

big youth

GCN was much like Wii, with 3 years of great games followed by a 2 year drought. I only envied PS2 owners during the final 2 years. I remember it quite well.

Microsoft's earnings today showed just how irrelevant NPD/physical numbers are becoming. Down month after month in NPD revenue but overall they had a 33% yoy revenue increase.

Dalthien

If you made a sequel on a two year cycle instead of TR's five year cycle you could make good money on it at this level. That's the primary upside of at least having sales volume to work with.

Maybe. Although is anything going to be moving big numbers on PS3/360 in 2015? Which means you're now working with new hardware again - and bumping the costs again anyway.

But for this 2013 game itself - these sales come pretty damn close to the definition of disaster, based on the dev budget/time and expectations.

Foffy

Banned
Can we give Castlevania back to IGA?

I'm pretty sure Order of Ecclesia did better than that and I'm sure it cost much less.

I fucking hope so. Does the sales of Mirror of Fate make it the worst selling handheld Castlevania game to date? Didn't Dracula X Chronicles do better?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd just like EA to release ONE game for Wii U that hadn't been released months before for other consoles to see how it does.

Of course it won't do well, but I just want to see how much of an improvement it would be over the crap they've thrown out.

Keep in mind, by the way, that NFS had that half-price sale on Origin.

kinggroin

Banned

The "tracking ahead of X" only matters positively in a positive trend. Otherwise, its an asinine point to bring up and only serves to confuse folks and cloud the real situation.

The best port sold 10k. People can't really complain about lazy efforts :/

I hope you don't believe that the ONLY leg someone had to stand up on in regards to arguing why this game sold poorly. Besides, no one called this a lazy port.

Maybe a lazy way of attempting to sell it perhaps.

Instro

I think Mirrors of Fate is a great game! I wasn't expecting gangbusters for it,but 3ds is still a crap shoot for third party titles except the odd one or two. people have been laughing at the platform recently, saying no ones going to ever come close to even angry birds on it

I'm really happy Nintendo has a lot of momentum but it isn't the ds success story for everyone

How did the DS castlevanias do at launch?

Wikipedia says Dawn of Sorrow did 160k in 3 months in the US.

Oh shit, Need For Speed was a great port and a commendable effort by Criterion. Damn.

It's not really surprising to be honest, who is going to chose a port over the 2 exclusive games that are generally more appealing to begin with.

randomkid

I had much higher expectations for 3DS hardware, and not just cuz I picked one up last month myself. $40 off at several retailers, a well publicized free game promotion with Luigi's Mansion, other $30 off sales different weeks, an entirely new Pikachu model (even if it ended up being somewhat limited) ... tiny growth is not enough here considering all the stops that were pulled. I guess it'll take Pokemon in the fall to really turn things around.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm fully convinced that it would have been beneficial for EA to just pull the plug on that port. No way they are making any money on that one.

Makes you think about almost any future 3rd party game getting 2nd and 3rd thoughts before committing.

I still say that people are being way to hasty in writing off EA Sports support for the format. I mean, FIFA still gets released on the PS2, for Pete's sake. If they can get 5k out of a zero effort port or roster update, they will do so.

Well, there are probably a lot of active PS2s in various 3rd world countries with huge soccer fans. I don't think that is a good comparison for the WiiU.

Yamauchi

Banned
Software numbers for Wii U bring back a lot of GCN memories, only now it is even worse than the kind of abysmal numbers 3rd parties saw on the GCN.

GulAtiCa

NFS U is a great game, but unless you went for the $30 deal at launch, isn't really worth it for a $60 5ish month old port.

I doubt the EA Origin sale would be included, not that I assume it would add much.

Isn't Madden 25 not announced for WiiU ?

And FIFA 14 is not announced for anything other than PS3/360/PC at this point as well.

Madden 25 isnt announced vita, ps4 or 720 either.

Vita is dead, PS4/720 are not out until after August, and 720 doesn't officially exist right now. Make no mistake about it, WiiU not being included in the original FIFA and Madden announcement is bad. Horrible, actually.

TheNatural

My Member!

Yeah it's definitely worse by comparison. And Wii U is going to (already has really) get hit hard by things the Gamecube didn't have to deal with. Like huge online competitive advantages over them. Gamecube didn't have to deal with budget battles like the Wii U will have to deal with low priced 360/PS3 this fall, and Gamecube didn't have to go through a next gen competitor launch either besides the XBox.

Lots of bad stuff on the horizon. There's no easy outs here, regardless of the game lineup. The hole is too deep.

Darryl

Banned
i think i've missed all of the major arguments as to why the DS will pass 3DS guaranteed. is there no way they won't put out a revised, thinner, cheaper model this summer? any market conditions preventing them from doing that? it just seems like something they'd do to coincidence with Pokemon coming out.

most of the new branded 3DS's that I see coming out are all XL so it doesn't seem like the OG is meant to be around for too long.

ascii42

I'm expecting that FIFA/PES2013 were the last to hit PS2, but it would be hilarious if 2014 hits the PS2 but not WiiU.

CrunchyB

That's really, really bad. I would guess it's tracking ahead of N64, but I don't know if those numbers are even around.

The N64 did spectacular out of the gate, thanks to Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. But it slowed down when the initial batch of games dried up. Then there was Goldeneye. Then another long wait until Ocarina of Time, with many months of literally nothing in between. That was very, very bad.

Meanwhile, tons of games came out on the PSX, which overtook the N64 again after a year or so...

I'd just like EA to release ONE game for Wii U that hadn't been released months before for other consoles to see how it does.

Of course it won't do well, but I just want to see how much of an improvement it would be over the crap they've thrown out.

The only way that is happening is if EA has some big licensed kiddie title.

DaBoss

i think i've missed all of the major arguments as to why the DS will pass 3DS guaranteed. is there no way they won't put out a revised, thinner, cheaper model this summer? any market conditions preventing them from doing that? it just seems like something they'd do to coincidence with Pokemon coming out.

most of the new branded 3DS's that I see coming out are all XL so it doesn't seem like the OG is meant to be around for too long.

A new model every year will kill consumer confidence.

Takuhi

I fucking hope so. Does the sales of Mirror of Fate make it the worst selling handheld Castlevania game to date? Didn't Dracula X Chronicles do better?

I don't know its first-month sales, but based on its quite respectable LTD sales in a later, leaked NPD report, it must have done quite a bit better.

TheNatural

My Member!
Just like CoD, Batman, Dark Souls, etc. Everyone already bought that game on the PS360.

People who own PS360's wouldn't give a shit about buying the Wii U version, much less a Wii U, in the first place anyway. Call of Duty came out all of a week later, only because Nintendo launched the Wii U a week after Call of Duty launched.

No one bought it. No one cares. No one is going to sacrifice their Live or PSN friends list and people they play with all the time for a Wii U version. Out at the same time or not, that's a reality Nintendo has to deal with and why third party support has eroded.

prag16

Banned
Releasing ME3 (and not the trilogy) was simply insulting and made no sense. It could have been a shot at capturing Nintendo gamers who weren't familiar with the universe. But instead they ported the third game and sent it out to die.
Indeed. Especially announcing the trilogy for other platforms right before the Wii U launch. I mean, what the fuck were they expecting??

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe. Although is anything going to be moving big numbers on PS3/360 in 2015? Which means you're now working with new hardware again - and bumping the costs again anyway.

But for this 2013 game itself - these sales come pretty damn close to the definition of disaster, based on the dev budget/time and expectations.

To an extent, yes, but stacking on the years is still how you really blow up budgets.

kinggroin

Banned
Software numbers for Wii U bring back a lot of GCN memories, only now it is even worse than the kind of abysmal numbers 3rd parties saw on the GCN.

Bro, this is worse. MUCH worse.

Shit, to think if it wasn't for my desperation to play something on my new Nintendo console coupled with my love for MH, I'd have so little software outside of Mario and Zombi U.

And yeah; at least the GC got some day one 3rd party support and better initial 1st party support.

Top Bottom