• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Road

I guess that 1138k for PS4 is right.

cs must have erased the post that guy was referring to.

Thanks for everything, cs.

So we enter December with 909 for X1 and 1158 for PS4. December where Sony will be spread hugely thin but has good early adopter word of mouth. So we can expect maybe X1 to outpace PS4 in Dec but not drastically?

Oh, I should note I'm still using the 220K figure for Wii U.

I don't know if the number 232K posted by famousmortimer is closer - but it ends up being a 364% increase over October which doesn't fit with Nintendo's PR of 340%.

ethomaz

Banned
What are you using to deduce that?
I think I did a mistake.... I forgot Wii.

PS4: 1151k (estimate)
Xbone: 909k
360: 647k
Wii U: 232k

PS3 + Wii: 14%

PS4 + Xbone + 360 + Wii U = 86%

2939 = 86%
3417 = 100%

PS3: 410k
Wii: 68k

I think 1150k for PS4 and 410k for PS3 is a close number minimum number..

Crisco

Banned
I mean, the Vita 2000 has been out for what,2 months? And they haven't even announced a US release date for it because there is still too much stock of the original one. That's pretty shitty.

Sony will likely not share any actual numbers until after their 'big shipment' this week.

Based on what we're hearing from all the channels globally, Sony is massing up one major shipment to :

- Asia launch countries ( 500k by mortimer's words )
- Spain ( 60k )
- US ( ???k )
- EU ( ???k )

Any new sharings from Sony will probably come a day or two after 20th December, where PS4 will launch in Malaysia, and the rest of their shipments probably selling out as they are.

500k for Asia? Isn't that way too much?

Edit: Forgot about Japan!

Dalthien

Where was that? I just looked through all his posts.

It's almost 2 am here, maybe I should go to bed...

A different poster (I can't remember who) mentioned that the PS4 was 1138k earlier in the thread, and he/she attributed the number as coming from creamsugar, I'm guessing that's what creamsugar is referring to when he says that someone already mentioned it earlier. Maybe creamsugar mentioned it in a different forum, or twitter, or somewhere - but that seems to be the number, and creamsugar kind of verified it by referring back to that previous poster's comment.

I think the 3DS is doing well but it isn't going to do DS numbers. It'll do half what the DS did at best unless something changes big time. That's pretty bad for Nintendo since they to have lost a ton of customers

That gap between 3DS and DS is going to explode. We only just recently reached a point where their paths crossed. Now is when DS Lite was exploding. 3DS is about to get left completely in the dust. Still appears to be a success until you look at Nintendo's own projections for it, in which case you can only view it as a failure. Ditto Wii U.

Wasn't it incredibly obvious though that the 3DS was never going to match lifetime sales of the OG DS? Surely Nintendo has market analysts that could have clued them in on that. Even in the case of the Wii U, I don't think Nintendo ever originally expected it to do Wii numbers. As far as projections vs. reality goes, I still don't think that's an accurate litmus test. If a system sells less than the company forecasts, that definitely doesn't automatically qualify it as a failure.

Do we have any clue as to how profitable the 3DS hardware and game sales are for Nintendo? I'd be incredibly curious to read into that (but I doubt that information is available.)

You are correct in everything you stated and the 3DS did fine. There's just some on here that only see things in extremes. Since it didn't break a million or outsell the brand new consoles, that somehow equates to awful.

Yeah, it seems like this is the case. It probably didn't break a million PRECISELY BECAUSE of the two new console launches. Given all of the circumstances, 770K seems fine.

Why don't Sony just announce their numbers?

If they announce the numbers when they are great, when they don't announce the numbers, the assumption is that they are bad. So they never announce the numbers, mostly to avoid putting the Vita in a bad light.

KoopaTheCasual

People downplaying the XBO results need a reality check: If the PS4 hadn't launched as well it would've been the new biggest launch month ever for a dedicated gaming platform. People claiming the death of gaming probably feel stupid right now, as well they should.
hes-right-you-know-93164244350.jpeg

This entire site is.
Err... not so much this. Calm down, playa.

Why don't Sony just announce their numbers?

Because for months, they haven't done so, presumably because they were selling less than Microsoft. Maybe they're just in the habit of not doing so? Maybe they don't want it to look like any time they don't do so means a negative result? Maybe they just like their 2.1 million worldwide number to remain the one that's out there?

Who knows.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I guess I'm the only one asking for the numbers/split for Just Dance, Disney and Skylanders....
=(.

Btw, I do think Mario Kart & Smash have a chance of doing better than 3D Mario. Part of it is that Nintendo's output for the Wii U (and games that were mostly targeted to the Wii U audience) has basically been platformers and minigame collections.

Platformers:
NSMBU + Luigi U
Mario 3D World
Sonic Lost World
Rayman Legends

Minigame Colections:
Nintendo Land
Game & Wario
Mario & Sonic
Wii Party U

Basically the only exceptions to this were Lego City, WWHD, Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101. The latter definitely bombed, but I think that's because folks are hesistant to jump onto a platform for a new franchise that got middling reviews. On the other hand Pikmin 3 seemed to sell somewhat decently (opened at a bit over 100k iirc). Zelda was a pretty remake, but that's it.

If you aren't a fan of platformers or mini-game collections, you have to either be interested in third party ports (which are typically better or at best on par with 360/PS3), or really interested in the couple exclusive titles that were different (ZombiU, Lego City (over GTA V?), Pikmin 3, or Wonderful 101).

Mario Kart & Smash are at least big known entities in different genres than the ones above. We'll see whether that makes any difference though....

so I don't think anyone should be mocking MS for the XB1 sale numbers, I think it did pretty good having in mind it's more expensive than PS4 and it got released a week later

I'm very happy to see the consoles off to the amazing start that they're at, but frankly,I'm also not ready to start clapping hands for either one of these consoles until after they both break the 5mil mark.

I'm of the opinion that both consoles are still in their 'launch euphoria' stage, that happens to be far stronger than previous gens due to the existence of two highly popular platforms doing very very well, a very long generation before this & a ton of pent-up demand. An euphoria that both consoles won't shake off until they reach the 5m mark.

There's still a meek pessimistic ghost in me who fears that sales will plummet after they've sold out to their most dedicated core fans, whom I believe both consoles have at least 5m of them, easily.

I'm very happy to see the consoles off to the amazing start that they're at, but frankly,I'm also not ready to start clapping hands for either one of these consoles until after they both break the 5mil mark.

I'm of the opinion that both consoles are still in their 'launch euphoria' stage, that happens to be far stronger than previous gens due to the existence of two highly popular platforms doing very very well, a very long generation before this & a ton of pent-up demand. An euphoria that both consoles won't shake off until they reach the 5m mark.

There's still a meek pessimistic ghost in me who fears that sales will plummet after they've sold out to their most dedicated core fans, whom I believe both consoles have at least 5m of them, easily.

I'd bet Sony does 5M by launch of Infamous SS and >8M by end of calendar 2014.

If it was 364% they would use 360%, or at least use the more friendly number 350%.

Why are you quoting things I've already read to me?

340% is such a specific figure for PR to use. It's definitely between 340%-350%, otherwise they would simply say "over 350%." That would max it at around 227k, unless the range provided for October is slightly inaccurate.

You guys misunderstand. I was saying that they said "over 340%", not that I thought they said a number higher than 340%.

KoopaTheCasual

Anyway, I feel like the next 3 months will be predictable for NPD results, going off of Sony's schedule. Mark my words!~

December: Xbox One wins NA

January: PS4 takes back NA

February: Xbox One wins NA again

After that, it's anyone's guess with both Titanfall and Infamous coming out. We'll see how much both exclusives pull.

500k for Asia? Isn't that way too much?

Surprised me, too. This is anecdotal, but demand is pretty high around here.

Even at crazy prices ( $500 range ), the console's back-ordered till late Jan/Feb. Some bundles are still available at launch, but 90% of all the SKUs are already 'poof!.'

Codeblew

Because for months, they haven't done so, presumably because they were selling less than Microsoft. Maybe they're just in the habit of not doing so? Maybe they don't want it to look like any time they don't do so means a negative result? Maybe they just like their 2.1 million worldwide number to remain the one that's out there?

Who knows.

Is that Tempest 2k on the Atari Jaguar in your avatar?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. These are record-breaking launches. Remember Sony's "we could sell 5 million units without any games" comment from last gen? Yeah, that didn't work out for them. The demand is real. The home console market may well contract significantly from last gen, but these machines are going to hit 100+ million combined without breaking a sweat, and that's a large, perfectly viable market.

Dalthien

340% is a very specific percentage change to cite for PR. If it was 350%, or 360%, or 370% they would have cited that.

Yeah, but do we remember where the October number came from (honest question - I don't remember offhand, and I'm too lazy to go digging for it). But I've got WiiU at 51k for October, which would make 232k a 355% increase - you've got WiiU at 50k, which makes for a 364% increase. You can see how quickly small numbers can change the percentage.

Just a 1k shift in October's number changes the increase by 9+%. Do we have a hard and fast number for October, or is just a range based on some percentage multiplier from a previous month's number that we also don't know exactly, etc. etc. etc.?

Top Bottom