• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2013 [Up2: 3DS, 360, Pokemon Combined, GTAV]

Yanikun

Banned
The DS in april 2007 with the release of pokemon sold a bit more, it was april and in march it sold 500k.

If pokemon and the 2ds can't lift 3ds sales near ds levels i think the console is going to sell,at best, half of what the ds did

Half of what the DS did is pretty much where most people have been seeing the system for a long while now. I personally expect a little over 80 mil though.

I think it would be a satisfying performance considering the mobile craze. There's a lot of room for improvement in Western territories, so I'm hoping that the 2DS and the current library will increase the 3DS baseline in the West.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The fact that Batman outsold Assassin's Creed should be what we're all celebrating in this thread.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
which product is successful? because they only have 1 that is right now, and no one's claiming its not.

As for the other one... you want a big indicator of how the console ecosystem is doing?
no just dance in top 10.

Would you be able to shed some light on the performance of the Just Dance sku on Wii (I'm surprised it didn't make it inside the top 10 for October 2013 results overall) and how much it outsold the Wii U version (maybe percentages)?

Nintendo seems actively trying to court the ''casual'' crowd once again but the results are barren.

lefantome

Same of you try way to hard to spin every positive sale result for the 3DS into something negative. DS sales will never again be achieved in the environment we are now, time to move on.

Then what? The DS performed that way because it was perfect for the market at the time. 3ds is not performing that well, the market changed, nintendo offer didn't, it's their choice, which now is still ok, because the 3ds is selling ok.

This doesn't change the fact that one of their two core business is shrinking very fast.

Sakura

I will say though Nintendo needs to stop with their insane expectations. They are making a successful product look worse because of their insanity. The 3DS is going to have a great holiday and yet they will have to drop forecasts which detracts from that.

I don't think the 3DS forecast is THAT crazy. They did about what, a million units for October? If they have a really strong holiday, I could see them being at least somewhat close to the forecast. Certainly far less crazy than their Wii U forecast.

Mory Dunz

I wouldn't be so sure.

November Launch:
Wii U - 425k
PS3 - 197k
360 - 326k
Wii - 600k

3DS November 2011 - 795k (Mario Land)
3DS November 2012 - 540k (Paper Mario)
3DS November 2013 - ? (Zelda, Pokémon, 2DS, really... no comparison)

I'm confident 3DS will continue to outsell all other systems.
For some reason I thought launches would hit like a million in the month.

Hm, it'll be interesting to see if the 3DS actually outsells the new system.

My prediction:
PS4>(close)3DS>Xbox1

But who knows.

The audience right now is hardcore Nintendo fans who were willing to spend $350 to get their Nintendo games.
Of all the bad decisions Nintendo made regarding the WiiU...charging premium while actually losing money on the hardware is the worst. The Wii's price (and value proposition) was within an affordable range and set it apart from the X360/PS3. Without a strong, visible selling point the WiiU just comes across as an expensive PS360 with a small selection of Nintendo games and third party ports.

AHA-Lambda

Glad to see AC4 underperform after AC3 tbh

And glad to see Batman seemingly doing quite well :)
Reviewers were too harsh on it

Miles X

Wellllll ... if PS4 sells 1mm, it will compete with Xbox 360 for top spot. Pachter has said he expects 1.5-1.6mm in November 2013 in the U.S. alone, I believe.

It's not really going to do that though is it. Sony expect 3m year end. 50/50 Europe/US 50/50 Nov/Dec.

750k each place each month. (This isn't even including all the smaller places and that US is about 1/3rd sony's market.

starmud

November will be great for 3ds. hopefully this Christmas makes the platform pop enough to carry it into a stronger spring.

J-Man

Heavy Rains launch numbers wouldn't have made it into the Top 10 in the October 2012 NPD results, so Beyond could have sold well enough without making it into the Top 10 this month. Actual sales are what matter and not where it places on a list. That being said, I have a bad feeling about its sales long term.

I'm wondering how NBA2K did this year, it was a strong #1 last year with nearly 1.3M copies sold. If it didn't drop a huge % of sales this year and came it much lower in the Top 10, that certainly speaks to the health of game sales this holiday season.

Linkhero1

Of all the bad decisions Nintendo made regarding the WiiU...charging premium while actually losing money on the hardware is the worst. The Wii's price (and value proposition) was within an affordable range and set it apart from the X360/PS3. Without a strong, visible selling point the WiiU just comes across as an expensive PS360 with a small selection of Nintendo games and third party ports.

Their worst decision was to abandon the Wii two years prior to the launch of the Wii U. They essentially shot themselves in the foot without realizing it.

Guevara

Sure no one is claiming the 3DS is unsuccessful, but what I'm getting at is that Nintendo sets insane expectations every year, and when they don't meet them they are detracting from the actual success the 3DS is.

Yeah they've missed sales projections at least twice, and revised down at least once. The 3DS is doing pretty well, but they're managing expectations poorly.

I don't think the 3DS forecast is THAT crazy. They did about what, a million units for October? If they have a really strong holiday, I could see them being at least somewhat close to the forecast. Certainly far less crazy than their Wii U forecast.

predicting the Miami Heat to have a losing record and miss the playoffs is less crazy than the Wii U forecast too

3DS will probably outsell 2011. Are people really expecting the 360 to beat the 3ds with its successor releasing even at 99. Exactly how much are people expecting from it in November when its been down so heavily all year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

mm hmm.

Wellllll ... if PS4 sells 1mm, it will compete with Xbox 360 for top spot. Pachter has said he expects 1.5-1.6mm in November 2013 in the U.S. alone, I believe.
http://www.examiner.com/article/ps4-to-outsell-xbox-one-at-launch-predicts-pachter

“I guess the first couple of weeks 1.5 million [PS4] and Xbox One probably 1 million, so 2.5 million combined, which is a lot. That’s what I think you are going to see,” Pachter concluded.
Interesting, I think it's impossible but what do I know. He is the one getting paid.

3DS will be the best selling handheld though. Slay, slay.

The fact that Batman outsold Assassin's Creed should be what we're all celebrating in this thread.

Pretty silly to compare a current gen game to a cross gen game. Anyone interested in AC and is buying a PS4/bone is obviously waiting for the superior versions. That does bring up a good question though, why the hell isn't Batman cross gen?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Xbox 360
November 2009: 820K
November 2010: 1400K
November 2011: 1700K
November 2012: 1300K

What are y'all expecting it to do this November?

allan-bh

1.5m for PS4 in november alone?

I doubt that has so many consoles available

Sakura

Really? Then that means the wii u version sold more than PC.

They don't count digital numbers for PC.

For some reason I thought launches would hit like a million in the month.

Hm, it'll be interesting to see if the 3DS actually outsells the new system.

My prediction:
PS4>(close)3DS>Xbox1

But who knows.

I'm not sure why people seem to expect system launches to move so many units. Has a console ever sold 1 million units in launch month in the US? 400~k is what I expect.

I'm going to go out on a sturdy limb and say 2/3DS will be the top seller for Nov and Dec.$99 BF is going to do insane things for it. All the while still riding the Pokehigh. It's not going to be close. Maybe not DS and Wii high, but very very.

edit: And definitely agree on 360 for home consoles.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm not sure why people seem to expect system launches to move so many units. Has a console ever sold 1 million units in launch month in the US? 400~k is what I expect.
Xbox (original) did 720K in its launch month.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm glad Batman still did really well despite the media's best attempt to downplay its awesomeness.

I'm betting a lot of people who would have bought the game were waiting for ps4/xb1 to come out. Don't celebrate just yet.

Linkhero1

Xbox 360
November 2009: 820K
November 2010: 1400K
November 2011: 1700K
November 2012: 1300K

What are y'all expecting it to do this November?
I expect somewhere around 1000k, however, I don't know what the black friday deals look like so it could definitely sell more.

Damnit. I thought Y would be more popular because the legendary in the cover looks more badass.

I usually like to choose the less populer version of the same product. Guess I chose wrong

jwhit28

If 3DS makes it through next gen launch month in 1st, when will it be knocked off that perch? Could Gran Turismo 6 do it?

The DS in april 2007 with the release of pokemon sold a bit more, it was april and in march it sold 500k.

If pokemon and the 2ds can't lift 3ds sales near ds levels i think the console is going to sell,at best, half of what the ds did
We've already come to terms with 3DS being no DS. Get off it man. Time to let that go.

catmincer

Really? That's like, twice what the 360 did in its launch month. Did the OG Xbox launch at the beginning of the month or something?

IIRC it was $100 cheaper than the 360 at launch. There was the crappy core Xbox 360 but nobody sane bought that.

Top Bottom