• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2013 [Up2: Console positioning, 360 estimate]

No.....

Again, Zelda launched this month. The Wii U Zelda BUNDLE launched last month. And that bundle included a digital copy of Zelda. The retail copy of Zelda didn't launch until Oct 4.

tracking for this npd finished oct 5

some wwhd (first 2 days) should be included

sense

Price drop and Killzone gone. I guess Tearaway and Vita TV are the two remaining spots for the holdout Vita Turnaround True Believers to move the goalposts.

still waiting on confirmation of vita discontinuation by may 2014 or even end of 2014 if we want to move goal posts

test_account

XP-39C²
I have 38 months, from Jan 2010 to Aug 2013.

Edit - actually forgot about Wii outselling it in Dec 2010.

Yeah it's 32 months.
Thanks for the info :)

I was surprised that it survived the Wii U launch. I'd be willing to bet that PS3 and 360 will continue to dominate the Wii U this holiday season in addition to Xbox One and PS4 leaving it in the dust.

Problem here is that retailers have already taken the Wii U off the shelf to make room for the next gen consoles. I wish that was a joke, but it isn't.
It shall be interesting to see how the consoles sells this holiday indeed. I hope for Nintendo's sake that the WiiU have at least some good sales this holiday.

Unless it sells really well in Japan, which I have no idea if it did, there is very little chance mainland Europe makes up the difference from the US and UK sales.

You don't know mainland EU. And it sold around 350K last week in JP on the PS3 compared to 40K on the 360.
I'm pretty sure it's even or the PS3 GTA is slighty ahead worldwide.

areal

No.....

Again, Zelda launched this month. The Wii U Zelda BUNDLE launched last month. And that bundle included a digital copy of Zelda. The retail copy of Zelda didn't launch until Oct 4.

EDIT: Since NPD doesn't track digital sales, the digital September release doesn't matter. All that matters is the Oct 4th retail release.
Already covered on page one:

I think that WWHD would have two days of results, as the reporting period ended on Oct 5.

chadboban

I think one minor key for Wii U in November/December is getting the Wii off the damn shelf. I still maintain that had an impact during launch last year.

Wow, you know I never actually thought of that. Perhaps Nintendo could encourage retailers to stick Wiis in the back and put Wii U out in front. Has Nintendo discontinued Wii production as yet? I think it's sales have slowed enough to finally put it to rest.

Elios83

I wonder if PS3 taking the crown in the US from the 360 just before the PS4 and Xbox One launch has some kind of symbolic meaning LOL :p
Btw I'm surprised by Kingdom Hearts sales (didn't see it charting) and the GTA bundles helping a lot.
GTAV has been a much more important event compared to GTA4.
3DS did well, Wii U is still a disaster with less than 100k in a 5 weeks month but at least as Nintendo said....it reacted to the price drop defibrillator!! :D

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/npd-gtav-leads-surging-september/1100-6415643/

GTAV is now the highest-selling game launched in any September since NPD began tracking the US industry in 1995.

^ Fascinating.

I must add a correction to this article: NPD has been tracking the USA game industry since the 1980s. The difference is that the further back you go, the more unreliable the NPD data gets. While they have print records of the data in their archives, NPD doesn't guarantee the accuracy of their data from the early 90's, and I don't think it's even available for purchase.

AniHawk

Now that I think about it, Nintendo has to be ecstatic with 3DS right now. Looks like it's finally coming into its own and the next few months are going to be gigantic with Pokemon.

it'll definitely return them to profitability. they might even make a spot for the wii u by the time the gen is through.

Heavy rain exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations, but was a bit of a slow burner. No one had that title pegged at 3 million. you would have been laughed out of GAF for suggesting it.

Beyond likely has a higher target than HR, but nowhere near 3 million.
I wish dude, but I still got the feeling that it will severely underperform based on Sony's expectations. Not a bomba, but not great either. Undeserved of course.

Lumyst

I was surprised that it survived the Wii U launch. I'd be willing to bet that PS3 and 360 will continue to dominate the Wii U this holiday season in addition to Xbox One and PS4 leaving it in the dust.

Ah, I've found it amusing, after following the industry this year (compared to my prior stance as a casual gamer rather than an enthuthiast), how these nonsentient products get characterized (as opposed to, say, users of Sony clock radios saying that Sony Dream Machine clock radios "dominate" over other clock radios). That's not a criticism, just a lighthearted observation about the participants in this industry :p Sure, what we mean to say is "more people will purchase this product than will purchase the other product" and the number of people making that purchase equates to the product itself taking action against another product. Yet it's the consumer that collectively takes actions rather than a product taking an action. So more people are likely to purchase Xbox One's and PlayStation 4's and PlayStation 3's and Xbox 360's (and 3DS's) than WiiU's, perhaps, is what's really going on :)

Ah, I've found it amusing, after following the industry this year (compared to my prior stance as a casual gamer rather than an enthuthiast), how these nonsentient products get characterized (as opposed to, say, users of Sony clock radios saying that Sony Dream Machine clock radios "dominate" over other clock radios). That's not a criticism, just a lighthearted observation about the participants in this industry :p Sure, what we mean to say is "more people will purchase this product than will purchase the other product" and the number of people making that purchase equates to the product itself taking action against another product. Yet it's the consumer that collectively takes actions rather than a product taking an action. So more people are likely to purchase Xbox One's and PlayStation 4's and PlayStation 3's and Xbox 360's (and 3DS's) than WiiU's, perhaps, is what's really going on :)

Stop being rational. You're on a games forum--you have to be tribal and hyperbolic.

Satchel

Banned
Well done to Sony on breaking the Goldberg like streak Microsoft had going.

GTA bundle was smart. I wonder of MS have a CoD one planned for next month.

I really want Diablo 3. Will probably get it on PS4 though. Played the demo on 360 and it was fucking great.

Do we have any past GTA launch month numbers besides GTA IV?

Also, fun with excel:
cEHqqKV.png

*used 93K. Wii sales were amazeballs.

PhantomR

Banned

900x900px-LL-a514bf4b_clapping.gif

Mentioned it before, but launch is something of a different beast.

Resistance as a new IP had a 50% attach rate at launch.

Shadow Fall will basically sell depending upon how the PS4 sells, not vice versa, imo.

Shadowfall will be the 3rd best selling FPS of the PS4's first 6 months, maybe in the top 5 after the first year.

boingball

Wow, PS3 overtaking 360 in sales? No more xx months in a row the bestselling console PR statements from Microsoft?

Bummer that there are no numbers for GTA.

Top Bottom