• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car games, broadly speaking, has always been more of a UK thing than the US, hence why I'm not terribly surprised that Forza Horizon 2 missed the US top ten. I would expect Drive Club to follow suit.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Sir, it did not sell more on the current base if 5x more of the people are playing it on the other base. Do the math and tell me what you came up with.

For the people that had a PS4 and XB1 already, it sold more on XB1. The rest is assumptions.

Even that's an assumption actually.

AniHawk

family systems still seem to be last gen platforms. they'll probably be the go-to until these new platforms drop in price next year and have a library better suited for kids. i think sony is planning for that with rumors of jumpstarting all their old mascot games again. it would be a good thing. until then, it's really weird, but not too surprising that the wii u continues to sell those kinds of games better than platforms with larger userbases.

EL CUCO

I'm part to blame for Destiny stand alone selling more on Xbox One.

I bought my 2nd PS4, a Destiny bundle

flkraven

Crazy. Much lower install base and exclusive marketing deal with Sony, yet Destiny sells more on Xbox 1? Has to be wrong, no?

driver116

Bear in mind: Destiny numbers include those bundled in an offer but not those which are part of a hardware bundle. and obviously not digital sales either.

GamerJM

Banned
Destiny 2 is going to move mountains. The franchise got its foot in the door in a big way with a mediocre first entry - imagine its dominance when it shores up all its weaknesses.

Assuming the second entry is good. If Bungie fails to improve I could see it bombing. Then again who knows.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
I know 6 peeps who already owned PS4's and all bought the digital version of Destiny because they figured it's one of those games that will be in their perma-play rotation for the rest of their year.

Still, nice little victory for the bone to claim

This is exactly why I went with digital for this, and Diablo 3. New strat this gen for long term purchases. All single player games will be physical copies, unless they're some free digtal game.

But are digital sales not counted, as well as bundle sales in the NPD?

Vestal

Gold Member
I suppose that's true, but we don't know, just like we don't know how many bundles that PS4 + Destiny sold (which resulted in X1 showing more sold at retail for Destiny).

I guess it goes both ways.

Yeah the days of true software numbers are long gone. Digital is going to continue to murky the waters.

For example out of my 5 closest friends on Xbox live 4 of us are 100% digital.

Mooreberg

Well, no surprise that Destiny is huge. Another nail in the coffin of game review relevence. Black Friday sales should be quite interesting.

family systems still seem to be last gen platforms. they'll probably be the go-to until these new platforms drop in price next year and have a library better suited for kids. i think sony is planning for that with rumors of jumpstarting all their old mascot games again. it would be a good thing. until then, it's really weird, but not too surprising that the wii u continues to sell those kinds of games better than platforms with larger userbases.

Sony is already prepping for that this holiday with LittleBigPlanet3. That game will appeal to more casual and family gamers.

Re: Destiny

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/1...st-month-in-playstation-store-history/112357/

According to Activision internal estimates, the PS4 system is the #1 platform worldwide for Destiny based on units sold through as of October 4, 2014.

Sony Announces That September 2014 Was the Biggest Month in PlayStation Store History
I think this is important to quote and should be included in the OP. Activision confirmed PS4 sold the most Destiny units worldwide. I know this is NPD, but may be pertinent.

mocoworm

Haha. Look at the time stamps on the posts.

John Bender already and Hydrophilic attack had their posts already written and ready to paste in. How bizarre.

Vespene

da9a839ead4a9b6c789fe63ecab254c37590f282d20ef191bd2df80c4e4744da.jpg

Destiny PS4 sales being cannibalized by bundle makes sense to me, free Destiny w/ XB1 being reason it outsold standalone PS4 does not to me. Roommate is 360 gamer who plans to upgrade to XB1, thought Destiny was PS4 exclusive until I told him otherwise. I doubt the amount of people who got Destiny through the free bundle with Xbox One is way smaller than people are thinking it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom