• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that Sony charging for online play really harmed MS more than Sony. People are migrating to PS4 in droves, they are not willing to pay for two subscriptions. MS should remove the paywall from Xbl.

I highly doubt there are very many people who own a PS4 and are only put off from buying an XBone by the fact that they'd be paying two subscriptions to play online on both. The bigger factor keeping them from buying both would be the fact that the libraries are mostly identical.

kpaadet

yaM.gif

Does Phil own any non gaming related t-shirts?

logikk

Neo Member
On a kind-of-side note, I was trying to think of the upcoming first-party games for PS4. All I could get was LBP3, The Order and Uncharted. Any other big ones I can't think of right now?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
On a kind-of-side note, I was trying to think of the upcoming first-party games for PS4. All I could get was LBP3, The Order and Uncharted. Any other big ones I can't think of right now?

The only one you need, Bloodborne.

Well Hyrule Warriors, unless heavily digital, suggests it can't be that far off the last one.

That said, these types of games overwhelmingly sell primarily in the holiday season as they're bought as Christmas gifts.

The last one ended up in #10 best selling for the year, no?
I do recall it was in the top ten for the year, but can't remember the placement.

So could be something like a 100K drop off from first month of the last iteration.

But yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens to the tail of sales/Christmas sales, since there'll be a concentration of sales around the holiday.

Seems pertinent for the future of other brands like Just Dance as well, as it will at some point presumably need to transition its audience from the Wii - although they may be aiming to move to mobile.

Verendus

Banned
I think there'll be a 2 million difference in the US between the two consoles at least, by the end of 2014. It may be a little early to say that, but that's what I'm feeling right now after the performance this month. Momentum is really strong, and the coming months should continue to be great. I'm really interested to see what Microsoft plans to do in terms of promotions and offers. It's the biggest quarter of the year. It's time for most of that budget to be spent, and it's pretty clear they're going to be doing a huge push.

SCEA feels like a more exciting place sometimes.

No the problem is that those subs are converting to PS4. They are bleeding subscribers. Where do you think thy massive % of PS4 owners that didn't own a PS3 that Yosp was talking about is coming from exactly? Most are likely 360 owners from last gen who have switched over to the console that will run their multiplat FPS and Sports games best.

Sure, raw power is key now that your favourite is winning. No way buddy, multiplats sold high on Wii in generations past. Multiplats is the base but not the flavour.

Carl

How many NPD threads have there been on gaf? I swear it's like people routinely forget that games bundled with hardware aren't counted when reporting games sold.

Personally it completely skips my mind every month. Maybe due to pal charts confusing me. I'll try to remember next month :p

So we know that hardware revenue increased 135 % YOY, we know 3ds sales, we know how much Wii U rose over last month, we know PS4 sales was roughly 550k. Vita sales can be approximated to zero. If someone could give an estimate of 360 + PS3 sales, we should be able to predict XBO sales fairly accurately.

Biker19

Banned
As great as this is for Sony, I wish they would come good on their promises, the OS is still the same as it was on launch, the media functions are near non existent, and the network is still unstable despite many many 'stability' updates.

I am one disappointed PlayStation fan

They're working on it. This stuff takes time, & Sony's no software company like Microsoft is.

No the problem is that those subs are converting to PS4. They are bleeding subscribers. Where do you think thy massive % of PS4 owners that didn't own a PS3 that Yosp was talking about is coming from exactly? Most are likely 360 owners from last gen who have switched over to the console that will run their multiplat FPS and Sports games best.

And it'll get worse for MS next year as current PS4 owners will convince more of their friends &/or their families to pick up the PS4 console.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do recall it was in the top ten for the year, but can't remember the placement.

So could be something like a 100K drop off from first month of the last iteration.

But yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens to the tail of sales/Christmas sales.

Seems pertinent for the future of other brands like Just Dance as well, as it will at some point presumably need to transition its audience from the Wii - although they may be aiming to move to mobile.

I still have some mental scars from them debuting Just Dance mobile at E3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcaONVYsaTc

Key2001

Umm why? Outside of new console buyers there was no reason to pick physical over digital or the other way around.

I'd like MS to give out those digital numbers, simply because at least from personal experience most of the people I know have gone 80-100% digital.

It is not hard to see that there was more of a push for the physical version of Destiny on the XBO than on the PS4.

There was no incentive for new (non-bundle buyers) or existing console owners to buy the physical version of Destiny over the digital version. Not to mention that was a big push by Sony with the digital version of Destiny.

On the XBO there was an incentive to buy(or rather receive for free) the physical version of Destiny over the digital version for new console owners during launch week. These new console owners on the XBO could count for as much as 100k or more; which could had been more than enough to put the standalone XBO version of Destiny over the PS4 on NPD.

N.Domixis

Banned
I think there'll be a 2 million difference in the US between the two consoles at least, by the end of 2014. It may be a little early to say that, but that's what I'm feeling right now after the performance this month. Momentum is really strong, and the coming months should continue to be great. I'm really interested to see what Microsoft plans to do in terms of promotions and offers. It's the biggest quarter of the year. It's time for most of that budget to be spent, and it's pretty clear they're going to be doing a huge push.

Lol there is no way that is happening.

This thread is moving at the speed of light...

If the speed of light smoked crack so I don't know if this has been brought up or no .

People are wondering how the XBO version of Destiny sold more than PS4. I have seen people talk about the destiny ps4 bundle but not accounting for digital sales. Digital sales aren't counted either and I would bet if bundles and digital sales were included the ps4 would would actually be ahead.

teiresias

Doesn't MS usually at least say something like "fastest selling Xbox" in their PR, they didn't even mention that this time. What kind of sales would the X1 have to had for it to have fallen behind 360 launch aligned in that case? That could actually be impossible if it would have to have sold a negative amount of consoles, but I don't know what the numbers would be at all, so just wondering.

Great sales for PS4 as expected. I didn't think standalone Destiny XB1 would outsell standalone PS4 though even with the deal .

I'm interested in seeing how much XB1 hardware was moved this month. It seems that many of you think it did great because of the deals/pack-ins. 300-350k, maybe?

Ouch at the 3DS 40% sales decline even with Smash releasing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
People are wondering how the XBO version of Destiny sold more than PS4. I have seen people talk about the destiny ps4 bundle but not accounting for digital sales. Digital sales aren't counted either and I would bet if bundles and digital sales were included the ps4 would would actually be ahead.

It is. Read Sony's PR.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

But yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens to the tail of sales/Christmas sales, since there'll be a concentration of sales around the holiday.

Actually as a second follow-up, I forgot to mention that Activision is doing a really interesting tablet experiment for Skylanders this year: http://www.wired.com/2014/08/skylanders-trap-team-tablet/

Disney Infinity 2.0 also has an f2p version on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom