• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakely

Compared to last gen (first September):

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

So PS4 did about expected and Xbox One did way better than 2nd place last gen (if we just look at the HD consoles). Pretty good for Sony and fantastic job for MS, really turning things around. Lots of momentum leading to Halo and Call of Duty in November.

Also the One almost doubles last month's sales, from 160k -> ~285k

This is amazing.

Fantastic job, for MS. If they did any better they might have been beaten 3-1 instead of 2-1. Keep that momentum rolling!

Really?

I was thinking they are pretty bad for a five week month with a major title release, major marketing campaign and free game promotion. In its single strongest territory.

The PS4 numbers are finally what you would expect to be seeing in a market elading console, not "through the roof".

Lowered expectations: the generation, I guess.
Nyarlathotep is one of the huge Nintendo fanboys that went PC after the Wii U disaster and have been downplaying the PS4 and XB1 ever since, while still doing plenty of Nintendo defending mind you. There is no way to spin these numbers other than great. Yeah, they're not early Wii years levels but nothing was. Someone posted the list, this 540k is like #3 all-time for September. The "consoles are dying" crew will have to wait another month. Why is there even a crew for that, anyway? Handhelds are dying would be a better cause to take up with how mobile has dominated that landscape. Consoles aren't going to be dead for another couple of gens. I think one more after this one, so that's ~10 years or so.

You can't compare two years of X360 + 1 Wii + 1 PS3
vs
two years of Wii U + 1 PS4 + 1 XBO

Why can't you?

EDIT:
Nyarlathotep is one of the huge Nintendo fanboys that went PC after the Wii U disaster

the WiiU flopped so hard it reversed the flow of time and made me a PC gamer since the early 90s?
Capture_zps21bf34d9.png

I guess its easier to dismiss a dissenting opinion by just shouting FANBOY at it.

Hoje0308

Banned
You forgot Until Dawn as well.

And there will be others. Overall very nice. Hell Uncharted 4 alone is enough to make me stoked.

Yeah, I can't wait to see what Neil and Bruce do with U4 and BB is already paid for. Still though, NMS is the one I'm really hoping for. I always forget about Until Dawn. From what I've seen it probably isn't for me. I like horror, but it looks like horror, as done by David Cage. Nope.gif

zeromcd73

What's confirmed beyond BB, The Order and U4? I assume Everyone's Gone to the Rapture and No Man's Sky are there too, but obviously that's just my guess.
Ratchet and Clank, Tearaway, Rime, and probably some third party Japanese PS exclusives (Persona5, Disgaea5 etc).

Pretty disappointing numbers for Sony tbh. With all the positive buzz around the console and hype surrounding Destiny I would guessed for about twice that. Xbox One really isn't that far behind considering the rough start they got. Pachter may not have been right but he was pretty close, and October NPDs should be interesting.

Is this straight from the mind of BGamer?

I'm not sure anyone knows really. Despite how awesome of a console the PS4 is its holiday exclusive lineup is......somewhat lacking. But exclusives are far from the only thing that sells systems as Destiny just showed.

That being said its 2015 lineup. Hot damn.

why the hell are they release bloodborne AND the order in the same month? big mistake, it's gonna divide consumers. the order should come out in a different month.

Mory Dunz

Compared to last gen (first September):

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

So PS4 did about expected and Xbox One did way better than 2nd place last gen (if we just look at the HD consoles). Pretty good for Sony and fantastic job for MS, really turning things around. Lots of momentum leading to Halo and Call of Duty in November.

Also the One almost doubles last month's sales, from 160k -> ~285k

image.php

This is secretly the best post in the thread.

Much better than that essay on the first page. ;)
tl;dr
it.

Can't really say that.

Back in 2007 there were 3 truly competitive consoles.

Now there are just 2.

Year on year sales for hardware are 136% up. That is not indicative of a shrinking market.

I wouldn't say PS3 was very competitive in 2007.

Can't exactly compare last year where the PS3 and 360 were on their last legs versus this year with PS4 and Xbone's first years added.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Pretty disappointing numbers for Sony tbh. With all the positive buzz around the console and hype surrounding Destiny I would guessed for about twice that. Xbox One really isn't that far behind considering the rough start they got. Pachter may not have been right but he was pretty close, and October NPDs should be interesting.

I'm trying to figure out if this post is serious.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wait, what? We have numbers? And these are correct?
:|

We're trying to avoid aggregate #s please (even though you only did two). But yes, they are, and they're quite good. PS4 had the second best September ever for a console in the US (first going to the Wii in 9/2008 with some ridiculous #) and the XB1 sold quite a bit more compared to last month (second best month of the year after the Titanfall month) =).

MavFan619

Banned
why the hell are they release bloodborne AND the order in the same month? big mistake, it's gonna divide consumers. the order should come out in a different month.
And in my case give me 2 exclusives my PS4 has been thirsting for since Infamous and TLoU: Remastered one after another. I kinda dig that even if it's silly :p

David___

Banned
Do you honestly believe MS didn't make a few phone calls on that one? I'm not being snarky, just curious.

For the release date? No. TF would've gotten cannibalized by Destiny, MCC and CoD. EA and Respawn want this franchise to be relevant and releasing during the downtime is the best way to get the foundation set and build a core fanbase.

Very unlikely. SSM released a game last year, it's unlikely they'll have another game out so soon.
Didn't a separate team make Ascension?

I'm talking about Stig's game that was being worked on for 4 years.

BigDug13

There's no division of customers. Bloodborne is going to completely swallow The Order up if they're released in the same month. Unless they give The Order a week lead time so that every owner of The Order can finish the interactive movie prior to Bloodborne. :p

logikk

Neo Member
Good number for Smash and Hyrule, but the Wii U is NOT succeeding. Awful sales, and I think it's highly unlikely there will be a turn around on that front.

The Wii U basically only gets good numbers from a big game (Mario Kart, Smash, etc.), but they are losing their player base quickly. They really need to make this a short generation and get a new console out there that can compete, with maybe some new IP. I don't really know what else they can do at this point.

orochi91

Nyarlathotep is one of the huge Nintendo fanboys that went PC after the Wii U disaster and have been downplaying the PS4 and XB1 ever since, while still doing plenty of Nintendo defending mind you. There is no way to spin these numbers other than great. Yeah, they're not early Wii years levels but nothing was. Someone posted the list, this 540k is like #3 all-time for September. The "consoles are dying" crew will have to wait another month. Why is there even a crew for that, anyway? Handhelds are dying would be a better cause to take up with how mobile has dominated that landscape. Consoles aren't going to be dead for another couple of gens. I think one more after this one, so that's ~10 years or so.

I've been wondering for some time now, but that clears it up lol

I'm trying to figure out if this post is serious.

Not serious.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Can't believe some people still seriously think that MCC will make the XB1 beat the PS4 in November.

Always thought this was laughable, even more so now. MCC will be similar to The Last of Us: Remastered where it will sell great to existing owners but people aren't going to run out in droves to buy the console for it. At least no more than they already would have with it being November and all.

Both consoles did way better than I expected this month. I figured PS4 would be in the 375-400k range.

Mr Moose

We're trying to avoid aggregate #s please (even though you only did two). But yes, they are, and they're quite good. PS4 had the second best September ever for a console in the US (first going to the Wii in 9/2008 with some ridiculous #) and the XB1 sold quite a bit more compared to last month (second best month of the year after the Titanfall month) =).

Edited. Was just wondering if that Homer person was correct (I haven't read the last few pages).

The Wii U basically only gets good numbers from a big game (Mario Kart, Smash, etc.), but they are losing their player base quickly. They really need to make this a short generation and get a new console out there that can compete, with maybe some new IP. I don't really know what else they can do at this point.

Thats ok, neither do they.

BigDug13

Always thought this was laughable, even more so now. MCC will be similar to The Last of Us: Remastered where it will sell great to existing owners but people aren't going to run out in droves to buy the console for it. At least no more than they already would have with it being November and all.

Both consoles did way better than I expected this month. I figured PS4 would be in the 375-400k range.

Most people who really love Halo and want more Halo already own an XBO. I totally agree with that. MCC is going to have huge sales from a software perspective, but from a "selling consoles" perspective, I think most of the biggest fans have already purchased XBO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom