• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD To Produce First Digital Download Chart in US? Wants to stop the ‘misinformation

spwolf

plagiarize said:
in this instance couldn't they get the number from the publishers?

you can't in retail because the retailers know what they ship, but not what they sell through.

right?

is it a trust issue though that the pubs might distort the figures?

publishers do not get this info that fast... they get shipped but not sold.

so retail online stores like PSN, Live, Steam, D2D, Pulse, etc, are the ones that need to provide the info.

NPD is kind of in a rock and a hard place situation with regards to releasing information publicly. Release too much and the people that pay the big bucks for the info are gonna get pissed off, release too little and you risk losing ground to the most idiotic of competitors as the info-starved public grabs at whatever they can.

As worthless as it is, zlkgldskgh chortz oi-oi's magic number barn has gained a lot of traction in places less discerning than GAF. That a guy estimating sales numbers by counting the number of drips from his shower faucet after a hot shower has been able to do that speaks to the difficulty of the line that NPD walks with regards to secrecy.

Rlan

somuchwater said:
I'm pretty sure that Shadow Complex is responsible for this. It actually sold higher than #10 or #9 on the NPD list, right? I'd guess that NPD now feels like they're behind.
One, it's a worldwide amount for digital sales, rather than just America, and two -Trials HD beat Shadow Complex for the overall month ;)

As the guy who is doing his best to tell people how well Xbla and Psn games are selling, i'll have my full response when i'm not on an iPhone.

Incidentily, vg chartz have started their own seperate business under another name to sell their digital download numbers. This may be a reaction.

FrankT

Rlan said:
One, it's a worldwide amount for digital sales, rather than just America, and two -Trials HD beat Shadow Complex for the overall month ;)

As the guy who is doing his best to tell people how well Xbla and Psn games are selling, i'll have my full response when i'm not on an iPhone.

Incidentily, vg chartz have started their own seperate business under another name to sell their digital download numbers. This may be a reaction.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that (bolded).

Now that first point is an interesting one because I keep forgetting this. Now how in the world would they break it down for the US then. They would almost certainly have to have publisher data if they want to have accurate US lists.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AstroLad said:

My god you're stupid. :lol

The ESRB is not a government agency. It's an independently run ratings board that was setup by software publishers.

Plus, the ESRB wouldn't even have this information. It's nothing but a ratings board.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dialmydrive said:
I don't know where you get your information but you are wrong...way off track here.

NPD releases figures to the public on a monthly basis.

NPD doesn't release LTD hardware figures to the public.

NPD doesn't release much in the way of LTD software figures to the public--if I wanted the LTD numbers of, I don't know, the top ten best selling games of the last 24 months, that info isn't out there in the public.

NPD doesn't respond when Bethesda announces they've "sold 4.7 million copies of Fallout 3" week one. In fact, I've never seen NPD respond to any published-released sales claim with NPD data.

... so what did you feel he was wrong about?

Rlan said:

I wonder if it's anything more than the "sample collection from a random gamertag registration site" they were using.

ZealousD said:
My god you're stupid. :lol
You aren't even a junior, for shame.

Rlan said:

Thanks for the clarification! I had no idea Trials HD sold so well! (Word of mouth, I guess?)

Kifimbo

That a guy estimating sales numbers by counting the number of drips from his shower faucet after a hot shower has been able to do that speaks to the difficulty of the line that NPD walks with regards to secrecy.

I think it speaks of the worthlessness and incompetence of many journalists.

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:

NPD doesn't release much in the way of LTD software figures to the public--if I wanted the LTD numbers of, I don't know, the top ten best selling games of the last 24 months, that info isn't out there in the public.

NPD doesn't respond when Bethesda announces they've "sold 4.7 million copies of Fallout 3" week one. In fact, I've never seen NPD respond to any published-released sales claim with NPD data.

On occasion they do release LTDs, but it is rare. Like for example when they gave out MGS4 LTD's at the end of the year last year plus a couple of others. Very rare though.

But will they show actual numbers....

I can see them just doing a list of the top titles without actual units sold like they did the PC chart.

Holy crap at this thread

AstroLad said:
Originally Posted by ZealousD:
Uhhhhhh... did you read the Wikipedia article? I don't think that video games sales numbers are government-controlled information.
Uh, yes:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia:
The act explicitly applies only to federal government agencies. These agencies are under several mandates to comply with public solicitation of information.

Seriously? Are you serious?

Woodsy said:
I'm not even sure NPD data is all that valuable, to be honest. Retailers and publishers know how much is being sold through and investors for publicly traded companies get that information in monthly or quarterly reports. If a console or game isn't selling, that's already known weeks in advance and retailers and publishers have already made those adjustments in the channels long before NPD figures even come out. If anything, it's nothing more than a post-mortem report.

It's probably free because, other than fueling internet flame wars, it's not super valuable other than FYI information to those who are not real investors.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Go ahead and buy this months NPD report. Im sure its very cheap :lol :lol

charlequin said:
NPD only tracks monthly and doesn't even provide consistent LTDs for the most successful games or ongoing hardware LTDs, allowing companies to actively misrepresent their sellthrough to consumers by citing shipment figures if they so choose. All that plus a level of retail coverage that at very least suggests a potentially larger margin of error than NPD would like to let on.

And you clearly have never seen the actual NPD spreadhseet.

They track all 700+ games currently in stores, including the 7 copies of Sega Bass Fishing for Dreamcast currently sitting at FYE stores around the country.

And as for the margin of error.....do you understand how statistics work? Heres a hint: You dont need to sample 100% of retailers to know what 100% of sales are.

botticus

jamesinclair said:

They track all 700+ games currently in stores, including the 7 copies of Sega Bass Fishing for Dreamcast currently sitting at FYE stores around the country.

And as for the margin of error.....do you understand how statistics work? Heres a hint: You dont need to sample 100% of retailers to know what 100% of sales are.
At this point I think everyone's seen at least one NPD spreadsheet. :lol

His point was regarding what information NPD provides publicly.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Son of Godzilla said:
You aren't even a junior, for shame.

Would it have been better if I posted nothing but a stream of laughing faces? Or maybe questioned whether he was serious?

I might as well say it directly rather than insinuate it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ZealousD said:
Would it have been better if I posted nothing but a stream of laughing faces? Or maybe questioned whether he was serious?

I might as well say it directly rather than insinuate it.

no, it would have been better if you realized it wasn't a serious post that you were arguing with in the first place...

AndyD

aka andydumi
Will Sony/MS/Nintendo release the numebrs though? Somehow I don't see them giving NPD the sales for the DL games.

Chris Remo said:
Everything that happens in the real world is a fact. Do journalists not have the right to be paid for the information they have to put time, money, and effort into tracking down?
Of course they do. If somebody wants to pay you for it. You can't however own the facts. If you write a story about XBLA sales, and obtain the sales numbers of the top 10 puzzle games, you can copyright your story, and own it, but everyone else can report their own stories using the numbers you obtained.

If you consistently obtain worthwhile information, people will come to you first to get it.

spwolf said:
publishers do not get this info that fast... they get shipped but not sold.

so retail online stores like PSN, Live, Steam, D2D, Pulse, etc, are the ones that need to provide the info.
how is a digital download 'shipped'? surely, when you buy something on Steam, PSN, Live or whatever, the publisher of that game gets their cut of the profits in pretty short time afterwards?

i can see reasons for not trusting publishers over the people selling the digital stores, but that's a much blurrier line with regards to DD anyway. EA offer their own digital downloads. Capcom have their own. Valve have their own. I'm sure there are others.

spwolf said:
to you as an customer, none of sales info released by any tracking company matters at all.

So you agree that I have no compelling reason to care that NPD is able to remain profitable in their sales-tracking business?

Chris Remo said:
Everything that happens in the real world is a fact. Do journalists not have the right to be paid for the information they have to put time, money, and effort into tracking down?

Yes, journalists have the right to be paid for their performance of their actual job. But inasmuch as this question maps to the recent arguments by publishing figures in the news business claiming that copyright should prevent other news services from drawing factual information from their stories in their own reporting, no, corporations do not (or rather, should not be considered to have an innate moral right) to sell factual information that they've gathered and restrict the movement of that information once they've sold it.

One of the areas that really frustrates me, personally, is the way that copyright (and patent, and trademark) law has become structured such that it primarily protects corporate interests as the expense of individual human creators, leaving me in the difficult position of advocating against extant or proposed laws even as my ultimate goals include protecting individuals' ability to be paid for creative or information-intensive work.

dialmydrive said:
I don't know where you get your information but you are wrong...way off track here.

I'm self-evidently not, unless you can point me to the source where I can get, say, the final LTDs of the top 50-100 titles on each current platform so as to, say, go through and correct their Wikipedia entries with legitimately accurate figures for their US sellthrough.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jtyettis said:
On occasion they do release LTDs, but it is rare. Like for example when they gave out MGS4 LTD's at the end of the year last year plus a couple of others. Very rare though.

Yeah, there are the occasional updates given out through journalists who ask, and kudos to them for doing that, but charlequin's original point is that since there's no steady policy of releasing rolling LTDs for important titles, the information is not really available, and I tend to agree.

Chris Remo said:

The notion that since information is true, it is monetarily worthless, is insulting to me. Not because the kind of journalism I do is particularly valuable, but because there is so much gathering of information in this world that is genuinely costly and difficult to obtain, and yet there is an increasingly prevailing attitude that none of it is worth anything. I really worry that our standards of quality of information are just going to continue to drop into the toilet, because as people are less and less willing to pay for any kind of information, the people who cover current events--be they journalistic, market-driven, or whatever else--are simply going to have smaller and smaller budgets to do it with, and are for obvious reasons going to care less and less about providing objective, fact-checked, rock-solid information.

This is getting a bit off topic, sorry about that. This issue is just one of particular concern to me. People complain about full-screen skinned ads and companies trying to charge for information and everything else, and obviously it's anyone's right to complain about anything, but the place that stuff is coming from is a general lack of value people now assign to good information.

As for caring about corporate interests--I don't care about "the NPD corporation" specifically, I have a general personal stance that says information is not inherently valueless and there is such a thing as good information and bad information, and good information costs more money to create and distribute, and therefore SOMEBODY is going to have to pay for it.

I don't want to take us further off topic either, but the issue we're dancing around is copyright. The important factor to remember here is that you can't own information. Even original ideas eventually become public property after they're released. The only stopping block is copyright law which grants writers and publishers a temporary monopoly on information so that they can stay in business long enough to publish new works. Regardless of the liberal interpretation modern corporations take with regard to copyright law, what NPD is doing violates the spirit of the law - even if it technically does not break it.

The concept of copyright originates with the Statute of Anne (1710) in Britain. It established the author of a work as the owner of the right to copy that work and the concept of a fixed term for that copyright. It was created as an act "for the encouragement of learning", as it had been noted at the time that publishers were reprinting the works of authors without their consent "to their very great detriment, and too often to the Ruin of them and their Families". As such, copyright was first created with the intention that authors might have some control over the printing of their work and to receive some financial recompense, so that this would encourage them to write more books and thus to aid the flow of ideas and learning. As the act itself says: "for the encouragement of learned men to compose and write useful books".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

So while copyright definitely provides financial protection for publishers, its main purpose to to increase the wealth of public knowledge. If anything, some of NPD's actions seem to be directly opposed to that goal.

As to your point about the value of journalism, you need to understand that the nature of markets is that value is flexible. Valuable things lose value and valueless things gain value. If people don't want to pay for news anymore, that means they no longer find it valuable. It's not up to journalists to determine the value of the content they produce, but rather it is the buying power of the customer that determines the value of any product. If the customer decides that your product is valueless, you either must find away to add value to said product or find a new way to make money.

Rlan said:

You may want to not use that name in here, since you'll end up being banned. I wasn't aware of this, either, but I can't believe any of it for a second. And trust me, NPD has been working on this for a couple of year's now. This definitely isn't a reaction to anything that site does. oioi relies on NPD, not the other way around. If NPD stopped providing anything to the press, oioi would be in a world of hurt. If he actually was able to effectively track sales, he would be able to provide dollar figures, number of point cards sold, and things like that.

If oioi was selling reports like this, publishers would rip oioi a new ass once they discovered his methodology, or lack thereof. The only idiots dumb enough to buy it would be the gullible ones in the investor community but I doubt that ship would stay afloat for too long. I recall the original methodology being nothing more than guesstimates based off registration sites. That's hardly worth spending money on. And if oioi was doing this, the press would catch wind of it and all of us would know about it.

Stumpokapow said:

NPD does release LTD platform sales to press whenever press asks for it. I always find those numbers in various news articles each month. I know I can email them and ask for it and they will give it to me. Why wouldn't they? The same for LTD software numbers. They don't give away the shop but I have seen plenty of places including here on gaf where NPD has provided LTD software units for various titles. Why is it NPD's responsibility to respond to what publisher's release? NPD works with publishers, not against them, and definitely not for them.

jamesinclair said:

I've been around at GAF long enough to have seen full leaked sheets here. I mean "provides" as in to the public, since numbers that only $50,000/yr subscribers have access to and are forbidden contractually from releasing or even confirming do not actually prevent misinformation of the type identified in the OP.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
somuchwater said:
I'm pretty sure that Shadow Complex is responsible for this. It actually sold higher than #10 or #9 on the NPD list, right? I'd guess that NPD now feels like they're behind.
I'm pretty sure Battlefield would have ranked much higher in it's opening month. Both probably factor in, though, insomuch that multiple titles challenging retail numbers in consecutive months show that successful DD games are becoming a larger trend worth paying attention to.

botticus

dialmydrive said:
Why is it NPD's responsibility to respond to what publisher's release? NPD works with publishers, not against them, and definitely not for them.
They certainly aren't obligated, but it seems like it would fall in line with their (new?) philosophy of refuting harmful
dialmydrive said:
PR hype and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants estimates

charlequin said:
I've been around at GAF long enough to have seen full leaked sheets here. I mean "provides" as in to the public, since numbers that only $50,000/yr subscribers have access to and are forbidden contractually from releasing or even confirming do not actually prevent misinformation of the type identified in the OP.

Again with more incorrect information. Subscribers are not forbidden to confirm or deny sales numbers. I don't know where you're getting your info., but every month the manufacturers and many publishers release their sales numbers and cite NPD. If it were so forbidden, why doesn't NPD step up and stop us from releasing what we do each month?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dialmydrive said:
NPD does release LTD platform sales to press whenever press asks for it. I always find those numbers in various news articles each month. I know I can email them and ask for it and they will give it to me. Why wouldn't they? The same for LTD software numbers. They don't give away the shop but I have seen plenty of places including here on gaf where NPD has provided LTD software units for various titles. Why is it NPD's responsibility to respond to what publisher's release? NPD works with publishers, not against them, and definitely not for them.

"I don't agree with what charlequin is asking NPD to do" is not the same as "charlequin is wrong when he says NPD doesn't do this".

charlequin said that NPD does not report hardware LTDs to the public. They don't. They provide rounded to the nearest hundred thousand or so LTDs to journalists when journalists ask.

charlequin said that NPD does not report software LTDs for significant titles on a regular basis. They don't. They do provide rounded numbers to journalists for specific titles when journalists ask--normally 3-4 per month is about what I see.

charlequin said that NPD does not respond to publishers asserting obviously bogus channel stuffed figures. They don't.

Like I said, totally fine that you don't think NPD should publish sales data in response to publishers shooting their traps, or that you don't think NPD should give away big lists of software LTDs, but you told him he was wrong when he really wasn't.

jay

jett said:
Doesn't NPD extrapolate like 60+% of the market anyway? Lulz misinformation.

You must not understand statistics. Vic Ireland can vouch for how NPD is always accurate.

jett

D-Member
jay said:
You must not understand statistics. Vic Ireland can vouch for how NPD is always accurate.

Are you being sarcastic? Vic Ireland has actually said that NPD were never accurate with sales of WD's games.

derder

dyls said:
You mean like the misinformation that happens when a game fails to make the top 20 for the month and everyone assumes that it's a total bomb? Want to stop the misinformation? Release the full retail numbers to the public every month or (gasp) week. How that business model would work for them I have no idea, but Media-Crate, Famitsu, and Chart-Track seem to be doing okay.

To the op, why would you ever think that amassing data for downloaded games would be tougher than retail? It's probably many orders of magnitude easier.
I doubt that "everyone" extends outside of 4,000 or so armchair analysts who have no influence over retail sales.

I don't see the point in this. Do publishers not receive exact numbers of how many games are downloaded? It seems like this is a waste of time and resources to me.

botticus

dialmydrive said:
Again with more incorrect information. Subscribers are not forbidden to confirm or deny sales numbers. I don't know where you're getting your info., but every month the manufacturers and many publishers release their sales numbers and cite NPD. If it were so forbidden, why doesn't NPD step up and stop us from releasing what we do each month?
So if NPD Subscriber #37781 decided to come on GAF and post data on request, NPD wouldn't mind?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
derder said:
Do publishers not receive exact numbers of how many games are downloaded? It seems like this is a waste of time and resources to me.

people other than publishers are interested in sales figures and publishers are interested in their competitor's sales figures.

Chris Remo said:
I can't believe people are being so snarky about NPD wanting to make money off this kind of thing.

How do you propose they stay in business, exactly?

From what I've heard, games are their highest-profile segment, and yet it makes them less money than almost any other segment they track, because every goddamn internet person is constantly demanding free information and then it gets leaked if it isn't given away, whereas in other industries people actually pay for useful information rather than just obsessing on forums about it.

I don't have a problem with GAF analysis and so on, I think it's really fascinating, but I can't stand how entitled so many gamers feel to all this free information when it is in fact one of the ways this company actually brings in the revenue they need to operate as a business.
sounds like their price is too high, or their value is too low then.

freddy

Banned
“Objective third party tracking is essential to separating the wheat from the chaff. In other words, accurate tracking will provide a no-nonsense view of what’s happening on the publisher level, keeping away from the spin, and in some cases, misleading information that often appears on the internet.

This would lead me to believe that the publishers are the ones pushing for these figures to be made public as they are the ones who want to curb any misleading information on the internet for PR reasons.

In an industry pushing for a DD future it's not so hard a stretch to make if the figures are favourable.

I'd love to see WiiWare, DSiWar, XBLA, and PSN download info.

I think it had been negligible for a while but now with Castle Crashers, GTA: The Lost & The Damned, Battlefield 1943, various CoD map-packs, Fallout3 add-ons . . . I think the DLC market is really starting to become a real factor in the market which reduces the retail market in detectable amounts.

Kifimbo

botticus said:
So if NPD Subscriber #37781 decided to come on GAF and post data on request, NPD wouldn't mind?

There surely are guidelines. Nintendo probably can't reveal informations about Sony's games for example.

dialmydrive said:
Again with more incorrect information. Subscribers are not forbidden to confirm or deny sales numbers.

Are you suggesting that if I had an NPD subscription, I saw that game X had sold 852,000 copies under NPD's tracking in its first month, and then the publisher announced that they had sold "1.2 million copies in the US in their first month of sales," I would be allowed to, without consultation with NPD, simply announce in public or run news articles on videogame-related websites stating that this press release was inaccurate, and providing the 852,000 figure as proof, cited to the NPD report, that my assertion was correct? What if I made a habit of doing so for every major release to see a corporate press release?

speculawyer said:
I'd love to see WiiWare, DSiWar, XBLA, and PSN download info.

I too would love to see this.

In a perfect world the consumer would have free access to perfectly compiled sales data for every industry. Unfortunately, a knowledgeable consumer makes business difficult.

Virtual Console sales?

charlequin said:
Who says I'm interested in seeing them stay in business?

Serious question. What benefit does the continued profitability of the NPD company, using a business model based on (at best) a questionable application of copyright law, have for me as a game consumer?

In many other industries, including theater-run movies, TV, books, and music, a broad swathe of sales information is publicly available either for free or at small, consumer-level costs (like a Billboard subscription). In Japan, three competing trackers release huge amounts of public information (enough to populate a relatively accurate database of most title's overall performance) on a weekly basis; NPD only tracks monthly and doesn't even provide consistent LTDs for the most successful games or ongoing hardware LTDs, allowing companies to actively misrepresent their sellthrough to consumers by citing shipment figures if they so choose. All that plus a level of retail coverage that at very least suggests a potentially larger margin of error than NPD would like to let on.

In terms of legitimate responses to that, illicitly utilizing their "proprietary" information (no matter how questionable the basis on which it's protected) to build a "competing" service like zzchartzz is pretty inappropriate, but snark seems eminently reasonable to me.

This. Seriously fuck the NPD. For films I can track any movie ever released and see their profit LTD's. Can't do that for games.

donny2112

dialmydrive said:
According to NPD, they already track online gaming and DDL sales information to a certain degree but not yet at title level.

IIRC from a previous press release, I thought they were going to do this by getting a group of gamers and asking them what and how often they download games. If that's still the case, to me it seems hopelessly flawed unless they can get 60% of all gamers (i.e. around what they have in the retail market) to be a part of that group. It makes sense to me that statistics can say if one person from a few thousand strong group downloaded a game last week that that's representative of 10,000 other people downloading a game last week. It does not make sense to me to say that the game that person downloaded is representative of what all 10,000 of those other people downloaded, though. It's the same issue I have with Nielsen's ratings when they try to go down to a specific title level. What NPD needs is to get the publisher's themselves to release their 100% coverage (of their specific market) to them to compile into an overall listing. I just do not see that happening anytime soon.

botticus said:
At this point I think everyonewho was involved in GAF's Sales-Age four of five years ago has seen at least one NPD spreadsheet. :lol

Most new salesagers have no idea that NPD tracks thousands of games each month (or at least used to).

dialmydrive said:
You may want to not use that name in here, since you'll end up being banned.

Only posting numbers from them is bannable.

charlequin said:
Are you suggesting that if I had an NPD subscription, I saw that game X had sold 852,000 copies under NPD's tracking in its first month, and then the publisher announced that they had sold "1.2 million copies in the US in their first month of sales," I would be allowed to, without consultation with NPD, simply announce in public or run news articles on videogame-related websites stating that this press release was inaccurate, and providing the 852,000 figure as proof, cited to the NPD report, that my assertion was correct? What if I made a habit of doing so for every major release to see a corporate press release?

IGN got in trouble for mentioning rounded figures in a podcast for some titles two years ago, so I have to think they're not too fond of subscribers reposting the data.

So this is the vgcrudz site it's now using in an attempt to legitimize what it does? It cannot get the respect it feels it deserves, so they geniuses over there decide to try and cover it with a new brand and different direction? Interesting how they took NPD's tag line, played with it a little and claimed that as part of their description "make informed business decisions"

Industry and media are going to loooooove this.

http://www.fadellc.com/

Top Bottom