• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nuclear experts: Fukushima is much worse than Japan is letting on. Leaks everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does this company still exist? The government should take over, this is not a matter of just cleaning up but a national disaster.

That happened last year. The Japanese government bought a 51% stake in Tepco basically giving them power over it... The thing is, is that the government isn't really doing anything to influence Tepco to do things any better and here we are today.

Tepco needs to be broken up and leave the final chunk of it responsible for the containment of Fukushima no1 plant and surrounding areas. The profitability factor needs to be taken out of this. Bottom of the barrel cheapness is what gave us the shitty containers that had crap seals and solder welds.

Love your user name BTW.

I also would like this to become a joint international effort. Nearly 3 years on and still they're floundering about like Homer Simpson.

I'm no nuclear expert but once you build a nuclear plant is there no way of dismantling it safely? Seems like that would be an easy fix...

the decommissioning of a nuclear station is normally possible even if very expensive (however funds are put aside along the whole life of the nuclear plant).

However the issue here is that the core melted, hence it becomes very very very difficult to deal with it. Even going near that stuff is extremely difficult.

That is why the containment is already difficult as it is, not even thinking of moving the material to another location (which one ?).

keep in mind that they are using around 300-400 tons of water everyday to cool down the fuel rods preventing further meltdowns. This water becomes radioactive... there lies the issue.

Berto

keep in mind that they are using around 300-400 tons of water everyday to cool down the fuel rods preventing further meltdowns. This water becomes radioactive... there lies the issue.
Do they "recycle" the same water that becomes radioactive to cool it down again?

So, just for reference:

what exactly happens when they stop cooling the reactors?
and: what type of damage would be associated with allowing the cores to burrow themselves into the ground? (aside from potentially causing a magma eruption if it goes that deep)

Anyone happen to know these scenarios?

the decommissioning of a nuclear station is normally possible even if very expensive (however funds are put aside along the whole life of the nuclear plant).

However the issue here is that the core melted, hence it becomes very very very difficult to deal with it. Even going near that stuff is extremely difficult.

That is why the containment is already difficult as it is, not even thinking of moving the material to another location (which one ?).

Interesting. I'd also like to know what would happen if they don't cool it.

How big is a nuclear core? Could they find a way to remove it remotely or something? Then send it off into space :D

Do they "recycle" the same water that becomes radioactive to cool it down again?

I am not sure how the cooling circuit is at the moment ....

And if you stop the cooling down you risk further meltdown of the fuel rods ( I guess ) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_meltdown

If you do not cool it down, you have further meltdowns, more dispersion of nuclear material, and if left it there, I guess the temperature could become so high to create a breach in the containment vessel of the reactor.

It is easier to contain the nuclear material while it is in solid form, as fuel rod, rather than not.

Disclaimer : I am not a nuclear engineer .... take the above cum grano salis .

This is getting out of control.

AFP - Vapour has begun rising again from a reactor at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, more than two-and-a-half years after its core melted down, the site's Japanese operator said Friday.

Tokyo Electric Power said it believed the steam was coming from a puddle sitting atop the reactor, but has not been able to clarify why vapour started appearing occasionally from July this year.

TEPCO said the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant remained stable, with sensors in and around it showing no increase in levels of radioactive release.

The steam appeared as TEPCO found more evidence that radioactive waste water at the plant was contaminating groundwater that is on its way to the sea.

Thousands of tonnes of water were poured on the reactors to tame the meltdowns sparked by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami. TEPCO says their temperature is now stable but they need to be kept cool to prevent them running out of control again.

The continuing nuclear catastrophe at Fukushima has come under the international spotlight in recent weeks as Tokyo fought off challenges from Madrid and Istanbul for the right to host the 2020 Games.

Speaking to Olympic chiefs in Buenos Aires ahead of their decision to award the Games to Tokyo, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the situation at Fukushima was "under control".

Thousands of tonnes of radioactive water are being stored in temporary tanks at Fukushima. Much of it has been used to cool molten reactors at the plant.

TEPCO and Japanese officials are considering releasing some of it into the Pacific Ocean after filtering out radioactive materials, but face opposition from fisherman and neighbouring countries.

The Japanese government has decided to spend $470 million on a scheme to freeze the soil around the reactors to form an impenetrable wall of ice they hope will direct groundwater away from them.
http://www.france24.com/en/20130913-steam-seen-fukushima-reactors-tepco

Koomaster

The Japanese government has decided to spend $470 million on a scheme to freeze the soil around the reactors to form an impenetrable wall of ice they hope will direct groundwater away from them.
Have humans invented freeze rays while I wasn't paying attention? Curious how they are going to do this.

Have humans invented freeze rays while I wasn't paying attention? Curious how they are going to do this.

If they employ the same technique as used in Rotterdam when they built the new central station, they'll pump liquid nitrogen and brine into the ground, forming a dam of frozen ground. I can't really see this as being feasible in the long run though, as they will have to keep pumping in liquid nitrogen almost continuously.

linsivvi

Uh, yet another leak has been found:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/new-leak-at-crippled-fukushima-nuclear-plant-tepco

TOKYO —A new radioactive water leak has been discovered at Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, its operator said on Wednesday, according to Japanese news agencies.

Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) said the highly radioactive water had leaked at the Fukushima Daiichi plant from a different storage tank to the one where a similar leak was found in August, Jiji and Kyodo news agencies reported.

It was not clear how much water had leaked from the 450-ton tank. TEPCO said it had determined that contaminated water had accumulated within barriers around the tank, and may have flowed past the barriers.

Seems like this has become the kind of routine bad news that people and the media are not even going to pay attention to any more, even though it's getting worse every month.

Uh, yet another leak has been found:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/new-leak-at-crippled-fukushima-nuclear-plant-tepco

Seems like this has become the kind of routine bad news that people and the media are not even going to pay attention to any more, even though it's getting worse every month.
I doubt it's a new leak and it most likely won't be the last they announce. TEPCO isn't an engineering company and it shows in their lack of quality in the tanks erected to collect water along with their ad-hoc way of handling stuff like water leakage and storage. SMH...

Has this gotten worse than Chernobyl?

If the leaks and contamination of the ground water and potentially the pacific ocean are as bad as these reports are making it out, it's among the worst ecological disasters in history. There needs to be convened some international meeting to deal with this ASAP, but we're too busy being worried about other relatively inconsequential shit.

Even if it does become obvious over time that Fukushima was and is a worse nuclear incident than Chernobyl, the Japanese government will fight hard to refute those claims. Just remember how long it took for them to admit they had multiple meltdowns. It took nearly a year to admit it.

Personally, I think it is at or beyond the level of Chernobyl because of the uncontrolled leaking into ground water and the thousands of tons of untreated water that's leaked or washed out to sea. While the pollution may be less than a drop in a bucket when relatively speaking, Chernobyl didn't do that and the concrete entombment while not a permanent solution, did stop the spread of further fallout thanks to all the people the USSR threw at it. Bottom line both are bad.

Iacobellis

If the leaks and contamination of the ground water and potentially the pacific ocean are as bad as these reports are making it out, it's among the worst ecological disasters in history. There needs to be convened some international meeting to deal with this ASAP, but we're too busy being worried about other relatively inconsequential shit.

I don't know if it's worse exactly but TEPCO and the Japanese government seem determined to handle it worse than the Soviet government handled Chernobyl.

I'd like to visit Naraha and Tomioka someday. Abandoned places are just so eerie, you know?

The Japanese gov't needs to swallow their pride, stop trying to cover things up and open their gates en masse for more foreign experts. They have done this to a small degree but not enough by far.

I really don't care if Japan wants to bumble their way through this and wallow in their own shit but it's starting to not just be only their problem anymore. They thoroughly screwed up, and the least they could do now is have the common courtesy to let someone else try and undo this mess.

Put Iwata in charge of Japan.

He'd run the country into the fucking ground but nobody would care because they'd be putting out FUCKING ADORABLE ANIME AND VIDEOGAMES DESU DESUUUUU.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Put Iwata in charge of Japan.

He'd run the country into the fucking ground but nobody would care because they'd be putting out FUCKING ADORABLE ANIME AND VIDEOGAMES DESU DESUUUUU.
You got some tainted Molly. Turn down.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"TEPCO said" shouldn't be something we hear anymore. Japan has basically become an irradiated water factory that is leaking all that water in the Pacific, and it will continue forever. At some point, California is fucked. All those fruits and vegetables will have to be avoided somehow. Everyone will have a geiger counter at home.

jimi_dini

The last report, that I read about it, didn't contain "no danger for public". Which is a bit worrying, because normally they include it all the time, even when it's not true.

Hopefully the one adding that sentence was taking a piss.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Japan PM seeks overseas help on Fukushima leak

TOKYO (AP) — Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Sunday that Japan is open to receiving overseas help to contain widening radioactive water leaks at the crippled nuclear plant in Fukushima, with leaks and mishaps reported almost daily.

Abe made the comments in a speech at an international science forum in Kyoto in western Japan.

"We are wide open to receive the most advanced knowledge from overseas to contain the problem," Abe said in his English speech to open the conference on energy and environment.

"My country needs your knowledge and expertise," he said.

Despite Abe's reassurances to the International Olympic Committee last month that the leaks were "under control," many Japanese believe he was glossing over problems at the plant.

Abe did not say whether he still thinks the leaks are under control, or give any specifics about foreign participation.

royalan

Jesus christ. Why isn't this a bigger deal? Or is it? Am I missing something?

Yeah, this is getting scary.

If tons of radioactive water are leaking into the pacific daily, this is a much bigger issue that could have global ramifications. This shouldn't just be left up to Japan anymore.

How is nobody talking about this?

Crayons

Banned
Yeah, this is getting scary.

If tons of radioactive water are leaking into the pacific daily, this is a much bigger issue that could have global ramifications. This shouldn't just be left up to Japan anymore.

How is nobody talking about this?

Miley Cyrus twerking is more important.

I would say that nuclear power plants in general are very safe, (assuming that safety regulations are very strictly met) but what I don't understand is building them in areas that earthquakes will happen, effectively making the plants radioactive time-bombs. How is it even remotely legal?

Aroo

Neo Member
I keep reading this in the news every other day on how it's much worse and no one knows what to do. I was suppose to purchase my tickets to japan last month for my vacation in December (never been to japan) but now I'm considering France. I don't think I can wait any longer to buy my tickets.

RM8

I keep reading this in the news every other day on how it's much worse and no one knows what to do. I was suppose to purchase my tickets to japan last month for my vacation in December (never been to japan) but now I'm considering France. I don't think I can wait any longer to buy my tickets.
Were you planning to visit the Fukushima Power Plant? If not, I don't see why you would change your plans to visit Japan.

xenist

I remember how many here on Gaf downplayed this when it first happened. Has gotten so bad now.

Did you expect anything other than that from GAF?

TEPCO and especially the Japanese government should be getting internationally buttfucked into oblivion for the way they tried to sweep this under the rug. It's intentional criminal negligence. Accidents this big have global ramifications. They do not have the right to downplay them and try to fucking save face.

acrid

Banned
I would say that nuclear power plants in general are very safe, (assuming that safety regulations are very strictly met) but what I don't understand is building them in areas that earthquakes will happen, effectively making the plants radioactive time-bombs. How is it even remotely legal?

I'm a tech at a nuclear plant, and yes, the safety regulations take precedence over anything. We have on site NRC (federal employees) reps that oversee tasks on a daily basis. They have nothing to do with power generation, and will shut the plant down if they feel something is not safe. I can't speak for other plants, but ours is designed to withstand a 5.0 quake, and we're not in a quake prone area.

Pachinko

It would be absurdly expensive but couldn't they essentially build a multi layered concrete wall that went around the entire power plant , then cap it off with a huge roof and finally build a sea wall as well so this entire site is contained ?

Of course each layer of concrete would need to be laced with lead particles and have sheets of lead with various thickness between them. Have some monitoring equipment installed at each level and in the soil and ocean water around the area AS well as some towers nearby to monitor air radioactivity.

Finally, once this whole thing is complete , you have a single access tunnel deep underground with multiple doors where you send in a team of robots to slowly dismantle the entire power plant. This would be a multi decade operation , hopefully after 30 or 40 years the robots would be advanced enough to obtain radioactive materials and neutralize them for proper disposal - placing them back into mines around the earth where the stuff comes from or even blasting them onto the moon or other planets.

Sounds like complete science fiction but so does every technology before it's actually built.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

I'm a tech at a nuclear plant, and yes, the safety regulations take precedence over anything. We have on site NRC (federal employees) reps that oversee tasks on a daily basis. They have nothing to do with power generation, and will shut the plant down if they feel something is not safe. I can't speak for other plants, but ours is designed to withstand a 5.0 quake, and we're not in a quake prone area.

I remember reading somewhere that these particular plants were still operating under outdated pre-chernobyl safety regulations at the time of the accident, and that had they been brought up to standard the current crisis could have been avoided. Is that true?

It would be absurdly expensive but couldn't they essentially build a multi layered concrete wall that went around the entire power plant , then cap it off with a huge roof and finally build a sea wall as well so this entire site is contained ?

Of course each layer of concrete would need to be laced with lead particles and have sheets of lead with various thickness between them. Have some monitoring equipment installed at each level and in the soil and ocean water around the area AS well as some towers nearby to monitor air radioactivity.

Finally, once this whole thing is complete , you have a single access tunnel deep underground with multiple doors where you send in a team of robots to slowly dismantle the entire power plant. This would be a multi decade operation , hopefully after 30 or 40 years the robots would be advanced enough to obtain radioactive materials and neutralize them for proper disposal - placing them back into mines around the earth where the stuff comes from or even blasting them onto the moon or other planets.

Sounds like complete science fiction but so does every technology before it's actually built.

The idea I heard a few weeks ago that they were thinking about was making an ice wall so it would freeze all the escaping water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom