• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of Rereleases from Nintendo

This is not only a smart strategy for any platform, but a pretty obligated one for Nintendo given the Wii U failed.

In fact don't worry, they'll eventually run out of things to re-release, but the consolidation and reactualisation of their franchises is what ight bring us new titles.

Zannegan

I think Smash is (and should stay) a series for characters that got their start in games. That said, kid Goku would have a totally awesome moveset.

There are just too many great characters out there to represent in any one Smash game. They're spoiled for choice even just sticking to videogames. Hell, even just Nintendo games from the past decade would be enough to fill out a Smash roster multiple times over.

-MD-

Wii U games are a big reason why I bought a Wii U.

Skipped WiiU entirely because it was such a big flop and I knew they'd port the good games to the next console.

Saved a bunch of money and got the best versions of those games, win-win.

Shini42

I pay 10 euro more for playing skyrim on the pot, no really!
is that a problem for you?
;)
ok stick with ps4.
or install ps4 in bathroom.
;)
anyway being a pc and switch gamer no problem here.

nowdays it's quite impossible to find a console only gamer.
and among those find a a switch only gamer super rare.
pc+console is the most common combination among 99.9% of gamers.

So by that logic skyrim would have been no meaning on switch.
still you have to consider that switch is a portable console masked as hybrid/home console despite that funny marketing mantra from Nintendo of USA during first unveiling.
that's is the added value for me and many others.
I don't have a constipation, so I barely have time to read Gaf ;)

staen

But for many of us, WiiU owners, months of re-releases of games we already own equals as months of no titles.

But the ports aren't at fault for that. It's not like the absence of ports would result in a ton of new games being released during these software droughts. It's an issue Nintendo has had for a long time due to weak third party support but this time they're filling in those gaps with ports. The issue isn't ports, it's the lack of new games.

I think Smash is (and should stay) a series for characters that got their start in games. That said, kid Goku would have a totally awesome moveset.

There are just too many great characters out there to represent in any one Smash game. They're spoiled for choice even just sticking to videogames. Hell, even just Nintendo games from the past decade would be enough to fill out a Smash roster multiple times over.

Wrong thread?

Crazyorloco

Mario Kart 8 sold nearly 9 million copies on the Wii U.

Rationalize that into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, go.

In less than a year, It’s at over 7 million on the switch. I think Nintendo did the right thing.

The Wii U had some great games, but it didn’t have the audience for them. The switch will allow more people to play those great games. Heck, I owed Mario kart 8 on the Wii U and bought it again on the switch. It’s a great game.

I’m still playing a bunch of Nindies and games from last year on the switch. I’m sure after E3 we’ll have even more game announcements.

I dont mind the WII U ports as I had a WII U at launch but sold it a year and half later when it became clear there wernt many games coming. So with the Ports I can buy games that I missed out on.

theclaw135

Banned
I'm just not seeing an issue. The games are entirely new to Switch owners who never bought a Wii U, and under no foreseeable circumstances would do so.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Skipped WiiU entirely because it was such a big flop and I knew they'd port the good games to the next console.

Saved a bunch of money and got the best versions of those games, win-win.

A console is defined by it's library. If you wanted Wii U games, you should have bought a Wii U.

theclaw135

Banned
A console is defined by it's library. If you wanted Wii U games, you should have bought a Wii U.

At the time sure. But now? If somebody new to gaming were to ask me today which console to buy first, you can bet Wii U won't be my answer.

Zog

Banned
At the time sure. But now? If somebody new to gaming were to ask me today which console to buy first, you can bet Wii U won't be my answer.
I am talking about at the time when Wii U was current. People acting like they knew the best games would be ported are crazy. What basis do they have for that. Just imagine how well the Wii U could have done if the people who want to play Wii U games on the Switch would have supported it.

Why do so many people assume Smash Bros. is a port? First of all, Nintendo has always been straightforward that their ports are indeed ports, and they show gameplay of the ports. Not this time. All they showed in the trailer was a CGI video of an Inkling and BOTW Link and some figures in the flames with the Smash logo. Second, the logo is a little bit different from the Sm4sh logo. Third, the copyright says 2018, not 2014-2018. Finally, and most importantly, the developer is listed as HAL, not Bandai Namco.

I own a Wii U (bought in mid-2013) and am still excited for Switch ports of Wii U games that I skipped because I never felt like playing it. The size, feel, resolution, and battery life of the gamepad mixed with the lack of releases made me lose interest in the system almost immediately. It was never going to be a success.

-MD-

Nah, I bought a Switch instead.

WiiU's controller was bad, it was overpriced and they stopped making games for it because it sold poorly so I saved my money and waited. Now I'm rewarded with remastered versions of all the WiiU games I wanted to play.

People acting like they knew the best games would be ported are crazy.

Nobody KNEW but people anticipated it, there are discussions about this subject from years ago and it looks like we were right.

Just imagine how well the Wii U could have done if the people who want to play Wii U games on the Switch would have supported it.

That's not how it works, WiiU was destined to flop, the public spoke.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Nah, I bought a Switch instead.

WiiU's controller was bad, it was overpriced and they stopped making games for it because it sold poorly so I saved my money and waited. Now I'm rewarded with remastered versions of all the WiiU games I wanted to play.
...and this is why Nintendo's current policy of porting last gen games is a really bad idea. Maybe people who bought the Wii U can skip the Switch and get the best Switch games next gen and from here on out people should just skip every other Nintendo console.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

Good point. But I could barely go to the bathroom using the WiiU Gamepad. With the Switch I can take these games where ever I want, and not worry about it. That makes these games virtually brand new, when you take the game experience into consideration.

I wouldn't deny there is little effort to port these games, but there is a lot gained by simply being on Switch, even if the software technically running the same game. There's new value. And I highly doubt these ports are taking the place of new games. The software output for new games would be no different without the ports..the new games will come, regardless. It's not like Nintendo's internal teams are having an extended holiday. They're working on new software anyway...

-MD-

...and this is why Nintendo's current policy of porting last gen games is a really bad idea. Maybe people who bought the Wii U can skip the Switch and get the best Switch games next gen and from here on out people should just skip every other Nintendo console.

If they wanna wait 3-5 years and are confident the games they want will be ported then more power to them!

Zog

Banned
Good point. But I could barely go to the bathroom using the WiiU Gamepad. With the Switch I can take these games where ever I want, and not worry about it. That makes these games virtually brand new, when you take the game experience into consideration.

I wouldn't deny there is little effort to port these games, but there is a lot gained by simply being on Switch, even if the software technically running the same game. There's new value. And I highly doubt these ports are taking the place of new games. The software output for new games would be no different without the ports..the new games will come, regardless. It's not like Nintendo's internal teams are having an extended holiday. They're working on new software anyway...

You can't go to the bathroom with the PS4 or the XBox One either. If you are comparing Wii U to Switch, sure the Switch has more range but before the Switch was released the Wii U was the only one you could leave the room with. People who never bought a Wii U because of the controller make little sense because it's not like the competition could do what the Gamepad could.

Tevious

As a Wii U owner, I've had no reason to invest in a Switch thus far. I get that the Wii U failed and it makes sense to re-release those games on the Switch, though. However, Nintendo isn't doing anything to get me to bite on the Switch and into their ecosystem. Ideally, I'd like to retire my Wii U and get all these Switch ports for the games I already have, but I'm not fucking buying all those games again at full price because Nintendo fucked up with the Wii U. Nintendo should really be offering an upgrade program for these ports, especially since their first party titles never drop in price until they become Selects years later.

-MD-

So you think that Nintendo is ok with the sending the message the consumer should only buy every other console since the best games will always be ported?

1. It's irrelevant since the amount of people that would be willing to sit out an entire generation is minuscule
2. WiiU and Switch aren't the same console, one flopped and one is a major success. If you greenlit an expensive sequel to Bayonetta would you want your game to rot on a console with a tiny install base? I highly doubt it. Hence ports.
3. Nintendo isn't sending that message, people are buying Switches and Switch games all day long, nobody wanted the WiiU so people held off.

You can't go to the bathroom with the PS4 or the XBox One either. If you are comparing Wii U to Switch, sure the Switch has more range but before the Switch was released the Wii U was the only one you could leave the room with. People who never bought a Wii U because of the controller make little sense because it's not like the competition could do what the Gamepad could.
Sometimes it's worse to have a feature implemented poorly than to not have the feature at all. The gamepad would suffer from signal loss once you got more than 20 feet away (in my condo it was more like 10) and as the only controller included in the box it had dreadful battery life. It also felt and looked cheap, was awkward to hold compared to a normal controller, and the second screen never worked as well as it did on the DS/3DS where you could easily see both screens at once. It was a really bad idea.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

Fair enough. But you have to recognize that each system has its value. On the WiiU, these games were brand new, and Switch will get its share of new games. But in future generations it is not yet clear what the new value would be. In case of the PS4, there were a lot of remasters, and the new value brought by the generation were the new graphics. It's not that different here.

So, if the new games get a version for a future system, it's gonna be a future value that isn't clear yet. I don't think people will stop buying new games just because a future port may come. There is an audience for new games, and there may be an audience for remasters. I bought many remasters already, including some Gamecube games in HD for the WiiU, and the value I got from these games is completely different compared to what I got in the original game. I'm not gonna avoid a game I want just because it may come to a future system.

theclaw135

Banned
So you think that Nintendo is ok with the sending the message the consumer should only buy every other console since the best games will always be ported?

It doesn't matter. Each generation, consumers enter and leave the gaming market, meaning the ports are fresh games to enough people.

Last edited:

Shini42

Why do so many people assume Smash Bros. is a port? First of all, Nintendo has always been straightforward that their ports are indeed ports, and they show gameplay of the ports. Not this time. All they showed in the trailer was a CGI video of an Inkling and BOTW Link and some figures in the flames with the Smash logo. Second, the logo is a little bit different from the Sm4sh logo. Third, the copyright says 2018, not 2014-2018. Finally, and most importantly, the developer is listed as HAL, not Bandai Namco.
Even if this will technically be a "new game", chances are it will be something like Spla2n. Version 1.2

WaterAstro

It's disappointing but expected. Nintendo doesn't have the studios to keep releasing top quality titles. Nintendo fans should be used to it.

It's actually good that they are getting some sort of third party support.

It makes sense from a business standpoint. First of all, they keep selling! And second of all, they would not have recouped their costs on those WIi U games I fear given the install base. Getting them out on the booming Switch - in truth - gives many people their first chance to play them.

That said, bring on Metroid!

bosnianpie

Rereleases doesn't necessarily need to be something bad, I'm sure we all have some games from the past that we missed out on or want to experience again. Nintendos mistake is putting too much emphasis on these games, atleast from my point of view.

As a potential customer I look at Switch and I see Mario and Zelda, they both look like fantastic games, but then what?
I don't need a time machine back to 2011 to play Dark Souls, LA Noire and Skyrim. Do I want to play Smash instead of RDR2? Metroid over Cyberpunk 2077? Pokemon before The Last of Us II?

No, I think the competitors still have the advantage over Nintendo when it comes to game library.

I'm really curious about how they will do in the long run. Switch is selling very well but technically it's already an obsolete machine and the competitors could be ready for a new generation in a year or two.

I'm ok with rereleases. I'm not ok with the prices, especially when it would be really easy to check the accounts of Wii U owners and offer discounts for games they already own. I know why they're full price - people are buying them at full price - but that doesn't mean I can't think it's bullshit. I'd really like to retire my Wii U but there is no fucking way I'm paying 60 bones for a game I bought and completed 4 years ago. New games or discounts please, no more of this M.O.

Top Bottom