• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Numerous Xbox 360 marketplace games and DLC soon delisted, 'Xbox 360 sunset' starting?

what a confusing post.

if you have them on disk, pop it in the xbox, it will download the digital "thing"

its been like this since forever. I am not sure whats going on here..
I will try and unconfusion.
I own lots of xbox 360 games on disk. Many of them are backwards compatible.
They are all in a box in a closet. I can't get to them and would like them all to go away.
Years ago there was talk of a disk to digital trade in program. No details were ever given and seems to have been abandoned.
The hope was for a small fee I could trade in my physical disks and get a digital code in return.
The hope is gone. If I want to play old 360 games I'm going to have to dig them out of the closet.
It's just a pain in the butt.

The other option is to just simply rebuy all the games digitally. I don't want to spend money doing that when I already have them on disk. 2023 has new games to buy instead.

Last edited:

wvnative

i just checked the Series X store and those games are already gone.

some more warning would have been nice.

WoJ

I still play Defense Grid 1 and 2 obsessively!
Best GWG ever!
I want DG3 so much!
Me too! And I'm with you on wanting DG3.
4syZ0RS.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
i just checked the Series X store and those games are already gone.

some more warning would have been nice.
That's the whole point of this - some of these games are backwards compatible (playable on the One / Series), but never got moved to the "modern" storefront. There are a few games that did get moved over, so those aren't in danger of being delisted (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect 2, Witcher 2, etc.). But there are a bunch of games that were only ever available on the Xbox 360 storefront - the old "marketplace", that are being removed. Stuff like Daytona USA, Counter Strike GO, and Spelunky were never purchasable on the Series X store, but they ARE playable on the Series X, and they're getting removed.

You can (for another 6 days) purchase them online to add them to your account.

wvnative

That's the whole point of this - some of these games are backwards compatible (playable on the One / Series), but never got moved to the "modern" storefront. There are a few games that did get moved over, so those aren't in danger of being delisted (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect 2, Witcher 2, etc.). But there are a bunch of games that were only ever available on the Xbox 360 storefront - the old "marketplace", that are being removed. Stuff like Daytona USA, Counter Strike GO, and Spelunky were never purchasable on the Series X store, but they ARE playable on the Series X, and they're getting removed.

You can (for another 6 days) purchase them online to add them to your account.

I just do not understand how this BC process works from a behind the scenes standpoint, if they were re-authorized for BC/distribution on modern consoles why couldn't MS migrate them over?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just do not understand how this BC process works from a behind the scenes standpoint, if they were re-authorized for BC/distribution on modern consoles why couldn't MS migrate them over?
Maybe it was a "well it's cool if legacy owners get to keep playing the games they own on newer hardware, but we don't want to sell Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed III remaster at the same time. But we still want people with only an Xbox 360 to be able to buy the game."

In the case of something like Daytona USA, it's possible that SEGA has the rights to sell the game on the Xbox 360, but not on modern consoles, because of music rights or something. Then they kind of get around the issue by making the 360 game available on modern consoles if you already own it.

In the case of indie games like Spelunky or Defense Grid, I have no idea lol

wvnative

Maybe it was a "well it's cool if legacy owners get to keep playing the games they own on newer hardware, but we don't want to sell Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed III remaster at the same time. But we still want people with only an Xbox 360 to be able to buy the game."

In the case of something like Daytona USA, it's possible that SEGA has the rights to sell the game on the Xbox 360, but not on modern consoles, because of music rights or something. Then they kind of get around the issue by making the 360 game available on modern consoles if you already own it.

In the case of indie games like Spelunky or Defense Grid, I have no idea lol

Stupid legal horseshit

Anyway, I went on the online store, Daytona is listed but won't let me buy it, and I no longer see a listing at all for Prince of Persia 2008. For me they seem to be gone.

Stupid legal horseshit

Anyway, I went on the online store, Daytona is listed but won't let me buy it, and I no longer see a listing at all for Prince of Persia 2008. For me they seem to be gone.
Did you go via the website to purchase before downloading on the xbox?, that's how I got it recently.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How does Daytona play? Was it patched up? I never got it 10 years ago on 360, but going by reviews back then people said it plays arse. Analog control is way too sensitive.

93xfan

Banned
How does Daytona play? Was it patched up? I never got it 10 years ago on 360, but going by reviews back then people said it plays arse. Analog control is way too sensitive.
I didn’t find it to be a problem. Had a good time with it personally, but never played the arcade.

For anyone who owns Left 4 dead 2, You can buy its DLC from INSIDE the game. It wouldn't show up for me on the Series X store, But I was able to buy the 2 dlc sets in game.

Naked Lunch

Its 100% a must buy. Really. Dont miss out.
No clue what the analog control complaints are talking about - it controls how it always did - those people probably just didnt know how to play it.
Turning in Daytona is all about down shifting - its never been particularly easy.
I play it quite often - and somehow still able to outdo my best times.

Havoc2049

Went to buy Daytona USA and it said I already own it. To top it off, I already got all the Achievements back in 2017. Damn it, I was really looking forward to getting the Achievements! 🤣 Oh well, at least I have it downloaded on my Series X now.

The funny thing is, I recently busted out my OG copy on my Saturn and was having a blast, thinking that it had been the early 2000's since I last played it.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I'm not that bothered about Daytona being lost forever because it is all well and good having that ....but the REAL story is why Sega never bothered about bringing part 2 to consoles over the past decade, and they probably won't bring it to modern day consoles either in the next decade...

skybaby

I'm not that bothered about Daytona being lost forever because it is all well and good having that ....but the REAL story is why Sega never bothered about bringing part 2 to consoles over the past decade, and they probably won't bring it to modern day consoles either in the next decade...
They have so so many arcade racers they could port over...

xrnzaaas

It never did, for some reason from the website you could never use your wallet credit. You could only use it on a 360 and can still use there today.
That always pissed me off, especially after they merged the stores and still didn't try to fix it. I'd love to buy some 360 games to play on the newer consoles, but I can't use the wallet.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Related but also unrelated:
360 is entering into the retro gaming phase - and the main thing that worries me as someone who still uses it often - is the console was designed to hold only like 4 or 5 game patches at a time. Once you go over that limit - the patches need to download again.

That 4 or 5 patch limit covers the Cave shmups I still play alone - not to mention the entire Armored Core franchise and lots of other exclusives too.
Interesting to see how long the 360 patch server will remain up. Im wondering if theres a way to store those patches on a thumbdrive or something.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just realised, Prince of Persia 2008 has an epilogue DLC / expansion which I'd never played.

This I guess is being delisted with the game, and obviously isn't available on disc so this is your last day to get it:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/Epilogue/00000000-0000-400c-80cf-00015553080c

Oh yeah, even though the expansion *is* a wet fart and just ends in another cliff-hanger like the base game, losing this content forever is a damn shame no matter how you look at it.

GametimeUK

Any recommendations on what to pick up (For backwards compatibility)? I've got Daytona.

Last edited:

CaptainABAB

Just realised, Prince of Persia 2008 has an epilogue DLC / expansion which I'd never played.

This I guess is being delisted with the game, and obviously isn't available on disc so this is your last day to get it:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/Epilogue/00000000-0000-400c-80cf-00015553080c

I have most of these titles but none of the DLC. Is there any noteworthy DLC (similar to this Price of Persia suggestion) that I should consider picking up for these games?

jshackles

Unfortunately I can't really justify spending hundreds of dollars on backwards compatible games that I probably won't ever play. The downside once again to our lovely all digital future.

Fox Mulder

Gotta get the dlc since it’ll be gone forever if you want to play later. I didn’t buy the two L4D campaigns back in the day.

Top Bottom