• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

derExperte

970 was afair $299 MSRP and ended up costing 350€ with a good cooler so the 1070 could easily reach 450€. Ehhhh.

dr_rus

A notable absence of FP16 btw - looks like GP10x parts won't have that double pumped like GP100.

i'll upgrade to either a 980ti or a 1070 i think, from a 970

if they actually make use of those vr speed bumps it's worth it for me there alone

That's a strange choice considering that for a price of 980Ti you can get a 1080 now which will be better all around.

What were the base specs for GP100 ?

You've listed them in your post - 10.6TF of FP32. An overclocked 1080 will essentially reach the same ballpark.

Onemic

What's the better value, two 1070s in SLI or a single 1080? Also consider I'm building a VR PC and I think you can't use GPUs in SLI, at least with Occulus.

There are currently no VR games that support SLI and it seems like there will be no support in the near future

J-Rzez

Its almost a sick joke to release cards like these knowing hbm2 is around the corner

Right, that's what's stopping me from going 1080, and just going 1070, guess it depends on the performance of each in real world. But I need an upgrade now, waited too long, my 780 is dying on me.

I hope AMD has an answer for this, I really wanted to give them a go, but who knows when they're doing anything at this point. For many consumers, I think they need a response soon. If they don't, one can assume they don't have anything to counter nvidia at this time.

Damn though, that means the EVGA/Zotac's will be +$100 for their models likely.

kuYuri

How well can the 1080 run Arkham Knight max settings 1080p? 60fps?

My 980 Ti can do that right now at 1440p/60fps with a dip here and there, let alone 1080p. If the 1080 is really more powerful than Titan X, then it will be easy.

Durante

A notable absence of FP16 btw - looks like GP10x part won't have that double pumped like GP100.
Yeah that's a tiny bit disappointing if true.

Probably a better decision from an overall performance reliability across games (new and legacy) standpoint, but if planned for that could have been really impressive in plenty of rendering tasks.

Since the other topic got closed as I was typing...

I was going to go to bed but then I didn't, didn't watch the stream but watched the topic for reactions. That's pretty much what I expected with these cards at the upper end, not sure why so many were insistent on them only being like a ~20% increase from the last generation despite a node shrink and improved architecture. My absolute bare minimum since the discussion ramped up a couple months ago was 35% (and that was before factoring in a node shrink and architecture improvements) with the 1070 being around and either slightly under or a bit over a 980Ti, they actually might've exceeded my expectations in putting it above even a Titan though IIRC I did warn someone some time back about spending $1,000 on one now when NVIDIA could bring out a card that is around that or better for half the price or less, looks like I was right.

/BarryWindham

I'm upgrading from a GTX 460. Anybody got me beat? I don't know how I'm going to deal with all this irresponsible amount of power

SswW2Pk.jpg

If I hadn't upgraded to a 970 last year I'd be right with you... Except now I see your CPU, lol. Recycled GPU? A 1070 or 1080 will be a ridiculously massive upgrade.

UnrealEck

I might stick with my 980 Ti until the next line/architecture.
The GPU market is moving way too fast now. One year ago 980 Ti was out and already we've got these cards blowing it away.

Bolivar687

Banned
Supposedly they are. But I guess we won't know for sure just yet. I mean, AMD cards were running DX12 better iirc. How well will these run it?

Does AMD have a show coming up yet? Will they announce one now due to this?

Rumors/Speculation have them announcing at Computex or E3, with availability at the end of June. Unless they miraculously get their cards out before the 1070, I just don't see how they can compete with the Nvidia marketing machine and brand enthusiasts. Even if the rumors are true about big Polaris 10 providing 980Ti performance at $300, it probably can't take back marketshare against the 1070. And competing at the lower end is a non-starter, that market is already saturated with competitively priced products.

Here are Nvidia's internal benchmarks for ROTR DX12 and Witcher 3, 1080 vs 980:

AF0DHBU.png

Wonder if they'll have coil whine on the 1070 again. I went through 3 970s and had to settle on the most quite one because I couldn't be bothered dealing with RMA anymore

Oxn

The GPU market is moving way too fast now. One year ago 980 Ti was out and already we've got these cards blowing it away.

More like not fast enough.

You just mad, but thats how things work in the top end world.

McHuj

This is snails pace compared to a he late 90s/00's

mitchlol

I'm gonna do a full new PC build towards the end of the year. my i5 2500K and 970 will see considerable performance increase. I'm also going to go all out and get a G-Sync monitor. I guess that means I'm going to need the 1080.

wbEMX

AMD will very likely go for lower affordable segments.

But they would have to use controversial benchmarks like Ashes and Quantum Break.

That's exactly the point. I wanna see how the 1070 will hold up against AMD on DX12 performance. They need to get this straight, because at this point my 970 is basically worth shit the moment DX12 becomes really widespread.

Vlaphor

Wonder if they'll have coil whine on the 1070 again. I went through 3 970s and had to settle on the most quite one because I couldn't be bothered dealing with RMA anymore

I've had a few video cards with coil whine and it does eventually go away. Sometimes rarely, I'll get a game where the menu runs at a million fps and I'll hear some whine then, but that's very rare.

Hawk269

At work during all of this so it has been hard to keep up with info. Anyone have a link where I can watch the presentation when I get home?

I'm starting to think I can get by with a 970 for now, and that the 1070 would be overkill for my backlog. How long before the used market prices start to fall?

Zackat

If I overclock my 5820k will it be fast enough for these cards?

I dunno how to overclock but I am guessing there are guides out there for it somewhere.

Grassy

Does anyone in AU know normally how long it took for local stores to have it available after this release date?

Last year when the 980Ti was 'officially announced' at Computex, it was available for sale the same day here.

puebla

Fuuuuuuuuck, think I'm gonna let my 970 stick around for another year. That 1070 is amazing value, so is the 1080. Buying parts for my new rig tomorrow.

dLMN8R

Man I'm glad I kept my GTX 680 instead of upgrading to a 970/980 :) 2016 VR with Pascal here we come!

(Probably this fall, not anytime soon)

I'll try to hold off until the Ti, but I might end up buying a 1080. I'm glad I can slot use this with my 500w PSU.

Its almost a sick joke to release cards like these knowing hbm2 is around the corner

Is March 2017 your definition of around the corner?

Edit: Sorry for assuming you were talking about Nvidia cards. If you're someone who purchased a 980/970 and you're on the 1080/1070 upgrade cycle, then HBM2 is another two years away.

This is snails pace compared to a he late 90s/00's

Yep, those were the days.

Rumors/Speculation have them announcing at Computex or E3, with availability at the end of June. Unless they miraculously get their cards out before the 1070, I just don't see how they can compete with the Nvidia marketing machine and brand enthusiasts. Even if the rumors are true about big Polaris 10 providing 980Ti performance at $300, it probably can't take back marketshare against the 1070. [/IMG]

Tbh all it takes for AMD would be a VR entry level card at 220$. (~970 performance) Nvidia won't have anything against that card till 1060/1050 arrive. It's not like people are only buying 379$ cards these days.

I'll wait for some actual benchmarks/reviews for the 1070 to come out...if all goes well on that then I'll try and get one over the Summer

Top Bottom