• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

UnrealEck

More like not fast enough.

You just mad, but thats how things work in the top end world.

How are they not releasing cards fast enough? There's cards for everyone in every price/performance bracket and new ones every year or so.
If you mean GPUs being outdone by ~1 year younger GPUs, it's the way it works in the top, mid and low end world.

KingBroly

Banned
Rumors/Speculation have them announcing at Computex or E3, with availability at the end of June. Unless they miraculously get their cards out before the 1070, I just don't see how they can compete with the Nvidia marketing machine and brand enthusiasts. Even if the rumors are true about big Polaris 10 providing 980Ti performance at $300, it probably can't take back marketshare against the 1070. And competing at the lower end is a non-starter, that market is already saturated with competitively priced products.

Here are Nvidia's internal benchmarks for ROTR DX12 and Witcher 3, 1080 vs 980:

AF0DHBU.png

Even with DX11, it'd be worth the upgrade just for Witcher 3, me thinks.

Durante

If I overclock my 5820k will it be fast enough for these cards?
Easily. It's plenty fast in the vast majority of scenarios imaginable even without an OC.

Rumors/Speculation have them announcing at Computex or E3, with availability at the end of June. Unless they miraculously get their cards out before the 1070, I just don't see how they can compete with the Nvidia marketing machine and brand enthusiasts.
Is it all just the "marketing machine and brand enthusiasts" to you?
Not even a shred of actually providing compelling products at convincing price points and/or adding new software features relevant to enthusiasts?

Quonny

So, I want a 1070. When will I be able to order one? Launch day, days before? Tomorrow? Now? Please? I want.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Feels bad when your hardware isn't top of the line anymore, but I will stick with my 980Ti a bit longer. The 1070 looks like a very good deal, much better than what the 970 was imo.

dr_rus

Yeah that's a tiny bit disappointing if true.

Probably a better decision from an overall performance reliability across games (new and legacy) standpoint, but if planned for that could have been really impressive in plenty of rendering tasks.

Yeah, feels like a missed opportunity, for using the chip as a less power hungry and cheaper DL machines as well some gaming related optimizations. Would've probably be buried under the FP32 console code though anyway.

Is it all just the "marketing machine and brand enthusiasts" to you?
Not even a shred of actually providing compelling products at convincing price points and/or adding new software features relevant to enthusiasts?

Yeah, at this point 1070 basically kills off everything AMD has above 390 (Duo Pro being an exception in more than one way). Polaris will have to come sooner.

Does it support asynchronous processing? Those DX 12 performance for maxwell got me worry.

"Asynchronouse processing" isn't the reason you're worried for Maxwell's DX12 performance.

J-Rzez

Rumors/Speculation have them announcing at Computex or E3, with availability at the end of June. Unless they miraculously get their cards out before the 1070, I just don't see how they can compete with the Nvidia marketing machine and brand enthusiasts. Even if the rumors are true about big Polaris 10 providing 980Ti performance at $300, it probably can't take back marketshare against the 1070. And competing at the lower end is a non-starter, that market is already saturated with competitively priced products.

980Ti performance for $300 is meh at this point with better performance for $380. Does AMD seriously not have something to compete against Nvidia right now? Waiting on their big HBM2 cards is going to be an eternity, from both makers, probably into Q1/Q2/Q3 of 2017 even... Such a great, but frustrating time.

If AMD replies, they may have something against this. If they don't, they don't have a counter. They can't be dumb enough to let nvidia get the jump again, especially if they have something to counter with.

Vuze

Anyway, subbed the thread since I guess this will be the "OT" for the cards. Trying to catch some sleep now and hopefully there will be plenty of nicely written articles about the cards and event vlogs up when I wake up :p

I've had a few video cards with coil whine and it does eventually go away. Sometimes rarely, I'll get a game where the menu runs at a million fps and I'll hear some whine then, but that's very rare.

It got worse on my 970

Used to only happen at 200 + fps now it starts below that, and for some reason in dying light it even happens at 60 fps

In menus with 500-1000 fps my gpu is basically singing songs

My SSD has coil whine too, so between the two loading screens can make my pc sound like an old 56k baud modem.
Beep booop prrrrrrrrrr tooot

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Fack, the 1080Ti is going to retail for $800 isn't it?

Reminder that the 780Ti launched for 699, and the 980Ti for 649.
780 was dropped from 650 to 500 when 780Ti launched.

kaskade

I think I'm just gonna return the 970 I bought not too long ago to get the 1070. Hopefully they show up on Amazon. Will they have it on that June 10th date?

dmr87

AF0DHBU.png

PR slides and it's a regular 980, the Ti is a pretty good step above the 980 so I don't expect any miracles when we get to real life tests and performance. Excited to see what we get.

Custom cards could be insane looking at the clocks you're able to get out of these babies though.

Zackat

Easily. It's plenty fast in the vast majority of scenarios imaginable even without an OC.

Thanks! I am a computer dummy for the most part especially getting into all this kind of stuff.

^Oh man, are we bringing back terribly generic graphic card box art mascots

Paragon heroes are ehh for sure. Game looks super purty though. Some of the other hero designs look pretty neat.

Mr_Moogle

I'm thinking I might go for a 1070 and sell it off on ebay next year when the HBM2 cards arrive. I'll lose a little bit of value but I don't think I can hold out another year.

AF0DHBU.png

PR slides and it's a regular 980, the Ti is a pretty good step above the 980 so I don't expect any miracles when we get to real life tests and performance. Excited to see what we get.

Custom cards could be insane looking at the clocks you're able to get out of these babies though.

Yea, it seems to be in line with expectations, no? I believe the expectation was about a 25% improvement over the 980Ti, IIRC. The Ti is a good deal more powerful than the basic 980 so it seems to be about right.

980Ti performance for $300 is meh at this point with better performance for $380. Does AMD seriously not have something to compete against Nvidia right now? Waiting on their big HBM2 cards is going to be an eternity, from both makers, probably into Q1/Q2/Q3 of 2017 even... Such a great, but frustrating time.

If AMD replies, they may have something against this. If they don't, they don't have a counter. They can't be dumb enough to let nvidia get the jump again, especially if they have something to counter with.

Until we see reviews from multiple sources we don't know how fast these cards really are.. People are jumping the gun a little just going off nVidia marketing.

Helznicht

Will wait for reviews and benches. Hopefully the sites will find a way to bench VR. I want to see how well these cards do 4K VR (Elite Dangerous)

Ash735

I'm more interested in that GTX1070, if it performs well and the price stays good when it comes over to the UK, I'd be very tempted to grab it.

Phawx

Guys, wait for reviews on these cards. There is a reason you didn't get a clean % better. There is also a reason that there is a "founders edition"

Yields are bad and performance at the same TDP of a 980ti is 30-40% better. Edit: based on their shitty graph. I'm assuming a 980ti is a "3.5" on their graph.

Wait for HBM2. You can stay on team green, but just wait for HBM2

1.5x and more for a 970.

Do you have a source for these figures you're throwing out?

zedge

Sorry if I missed it, but what are the power requirements? My current PS is fine for my 970, will it be ok with a 1070? (550W}

rickyson1

my 850W should easily be fine for two 1080s right?(and 3 monitors etc)

pretty sure i'm more than fine but should really double check before I order them

The question is the relative performance of the 1070, because not only it has quite a bit less overall power, but also the older memory AND a lower bus width.

So it's likely the gap to the 1080 increases, and that means it will be faster than a 980, but probably not reaching a 980 Ti.

Compsiox

Banned
This is the best day ever.

I moaned and gasped multiple times as he described the 1080 to us in detail

IM SO HAPPY!! ;-;;

J-Rzez

Until we see reviews from multiple sources we don't know how fast these cards really are.. People are jumping the gun a little just going off nVidia marketing.

Well yeah, I'd love to see some legit benches first too. Just last time I screwed myself waiting, took months to get the card then lol. I'm probably going 1080 as of now, so that one may have more availability, but that 1070 is going to go fast, meaning stock is going to go fast. You're going to have to leap of faith for that thing.

Jimrpg

Guys, wait for reviews on these cards. There is a reason you didn't get a clean % better. There is also a reason that there is a "founders edition"

Yields are bad and performance at the same TDP of a 980ti is 30-40% better. Edit: based on their shitty graph. I'm assuming a 980ti is a "3.5" on their graph.

Do you have a source for these figures you're throwing out?

What exactly is a founders edition and why do they cost more?

Emarv

Some of us have just been waiting for too long, my dawg. Way too long.

3pic

Neo Member
Availability and Pricing

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" will be available on May 27 for $699. It will be available from ASUS, Colorful, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, MSI, NVIDIA. Palit, PNY and Zotac. Custom boards from partners will vary by region and pricing is expected to start at $599.

Phawx

This is the best day ever.

I moaned and gasped multiple times as he described the 1080 to us in detail

IM SO HAPPY!! ;-;;

giphy.gif

What exactly is a founders edition and why do they cost more?

A "founders edition" is what a 1080 was supposed to be when they taped them out. If 10% of the chips they get back are what they are supposed to be, they bin those chips as "founders edition". If 30% of your chips are working but can't clock to what you scheduled, you bin those as the "regular" edition. If 40% of your silicon is only partly working, you make 1070 "founders editions" and if 20% is just garbage, you make those 1070s.

Top Bottom