• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2000 Series card reviews thread

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Articles:

OC3D:
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/nvidia_rtx_2080_and_rtx_2080_ti_review/1

TechPowerUp
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Founders_Edition/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_Founders_Edition/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_Gaming_X_Trio/

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

KitGuru:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...dia-rtx-2080-ti-founders-edition-11gb-review/

Videos:

JayzTwoCents:

Gamers Nexus:

HardwareCanucks:

Dave Lee:

Last edited:
I'll watch the videos after work but I had a quick look at the written article.

Performance in current titles - i.e ones which don't take advantage of the RT or DLSS tech on the RTX cards - also don't really show a massive kick on in performance. The RTX 2080 in particular is almost a frame for frame match with the GTX 1080Ti in all resolutions but doesn't have quite enough horsepower to make the most of the RT side of things as we saw on the previous page. Sure the old adage about skipping a card holds true, and we're sure that nVidia will say the RTX 2080 is designed to replace the GTX 1080, because nobody would go from a GTX 1080 to a 1080Ti. Fine, but the RTX 2080 still only has 1080Ti performance in current titles, even if there are some extra bells and whistles under the hood.

We can't review theoretical future titles, only what is available today. The RTX 2080Ti is, as you would expect from such a hefty investment, a bit more promising in current titles with the 4K performance in particular showing a healthy boost over its predecessor. Obviously if you can spend this much on a card you've got a 4K screen, and if so then the RTX 2080Ti has enough to pique your interest, finally bringing 60FPS gameplay to the single card solutions, something we've been crying out to have for a long time.

Doesn't sound great.

To those of you who know more about these things than I do (most of you), if you had a 1080 and a 4k monitor with the urge to upgrade, what would you do? 2080 ti is not an option.

GoldenEye98

Overall it appears to be performing how nVidia said it would(~35-40% better than previous gen).

But there are a few cases where it is performing a bit better, this in particular is insane.
oEQIkov.jpg

That is what can happen when the Turing architecture is utilized.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Founders_Edition/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_Founders_Edition/

It seems like if you currently have a 1070 or less and money's no real object then the gains are enough to justify upgrading. If you're using a 1440p or 4K display...

Last edited:

Chiggs

To those of you who know more about these things than I do (most of you), if you had a 1080 and a 4k monitor with the urge to upgrade, what would you do? 2080 ti is not an option.

Might as well, honestly. Not like AMD is going to produce anything that rocks the boat.

Skyr

Yep keeping my 1080Ti.
Very low difference to the 2080 in most games.
The 2080Ti is out of question for me for the price.

TacosNSalsa

My take away from the Gamer's Nexus video is either wait or if you must upgrade a 1080ti will give you the almost the exact same performance in most games , is readily available and can be had at $650-ish especially if you live near a Micro Center (assuming you are in the states) I might actually do that my self ..

longdi

Banned

At least it is running the Star Wars RTX demo at 44-60fps at 1440p, not bad.

Another gen of RTX cards, lower prices, and newer RTX games, perfect timing from Nvidia!

Boss Mog

The 2080 Ti should've been the 2080 and the 2080 should've been the 2070 really. That's how it's been the last few gens, the 70 beats the previous generation's Ti by a small amount. I think this was originally the plan since Ti's never launch at the beginning of the gen and are usually a mid-gen upgrade. Sadly the lack of competition allows nVidia to pretty much do what they want and charge what they want.

Last edited:
There's ZERO perf/$ improvement with 20 series. It's all only about Raytracing and DLSS...

performance-per-dollar_2560-1440.png

2080 replaced 1080ti instead of replacing 1080 and 2080ti is the old new titan, but no more Ti with 20 series. [looking at the price]

What an embarrassing launch for Nvidia.

mikemandey

So I've just bought Predator XB271hu as my new monitor, now I'm torn between picking a used gtx 1080ti from my friend for around $500 or RTX 2080 knowing that both of them have quite similar results in benchmark tests above

So I've just bought Predator XB271hu as my new monitor, now I'm torn between picking a used gtx 1080ti from my friend for around $500 or RTX 2080 knowing that both of them have quite similar results in benchmark tests above
I would get that 1080ti, if it wasn't used to farm. 1080ti = 2080 perf for the most part. [no game currently has DLSS..] Wait for next gen imo. 30 series will have to be a redemption for Nvidia from this failure, so I'd expect a more reasonable launch, at least.

SonGoku

Is it gsync? if not play at locked 30 fps
Wait for next year, competition should drive prices down and maybe even get a 7nm beast at a reasonable price.

Whitecrow

Banned
Do you know why we have processors with multiple cores?
We reached a point where increasing clock speed got almost imposible for the times. So, they took the other route.

Same is happening now with rendering. The room for improvement in rasterization got incredibly small, now you can basically throw more pixels or mor fps, but immersion in games NEEDS more than that, so now also, a new route is necessary.
The new cards are not this expensive for its performance, they are expensive for what they mean for graphics rendering tech, and all the investment and resources Nvidia put on it to make it possible.

It may not be worth RIGHT NOW, but soon enough we will see clearly the fruits of this path having been taken.

And no, Nvidia is not paying me.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Doesn't really look good. Hope the prices of the 1080ti falls a bit toward the end of the year so I can upgrade my 970. The new gen is uninteresting me. I'd rather see hardware makers push for good HDR in gaming monitors than RT. HDR makes a huge difference. The RT reflections.... well, I was not exactly blown away by the demos. Not worth the mark up.

pawel86ck

Banned
Resullts arnt as good as leaks suggested (even "official" Nv charts).
sotr_4k_2.png

Results from PClabpl, 29-50fps in new tomb raider doesnt look good at all, although there are some games like wolfenstein 2 that's shows HUGE performance boost.

But I have to say I like what DLSS is doing, not only it give HUGE additional performance boost, but at the same time picture quality is NIGHT AND DAY better compared to TAA. Even on YT highly compressed video I could tell a clear difference in shrpness, TAA looks very clean but blurry as always (basically like upscaled picture) while DLSS looks like SSAAx4, PICTURE QUALITY IS STELLAR. For so many years I was used to playing with MSAA, and I just couldnt stand FXAA, TAA, or other blurry crap AA method. If every new big game will support DLSS, for that feature alone I would buy RTX card.

And here's some DLAA vs TAA screenshots comparison, because it's hard to appreciate image quality based on YT video
https://pclab.pl/art78828-21.html
TAA looks very blurry compared to DLSS in that finall fantasy demo, and that fps diffrence is HUGE, minimal fps has doubled while picture quality increased at the same time.

Also RTX performance looks better than I was expecting. I thought star wars demo will run at 20-24fps in 1080p, so 30-35fps in 4K looks very good. Just imagine next gen consoles with grpahics like that.

scydrex

Every year the GPUs are more expensive... i imagine the 2070 will have a price of $499 or $599 and the 2060 $299 or $399.

Kreydo

Way too expensive for the little power gain, and no title out to use the tech it good for.

I hope people will be smart enought to not buy and to stop those price to goes higher years after years, it's starting to be out of control.

Last edited:

klosos

am going to hold off and see what AMD bring with navi next year , i cant think of much coming out for PC in the next 9 months which warrants me upgrading from a GTX1080 to be honest. If RDR2 gets released on PC then i might have to reconsider my stance.

its the Nvidia price gauging that really irritates me , the 200+ g sync monitor tax now over a grand for the 2080ti Founders editon , Nope not happening

Might as well, honestly. Not like AMD is going to produce anything that rocks the boat.
My take away from the Gamer's Nexus video is either wait or if you must upgrade a 1080ti will give you the almost the exact same performance in most games , is readily available and can be had at $650-ish especially if you live near a Micro Center (assuming you are in the states) I might actually do that my self ..
Wait for next year, competition should drive prices down and maybe even get a 7nm beast at a reasonable price.
Thanks for the replies, all. Monitor isn't gsync.

Cheap 1080 ti seems mighty tempting.

PhoenixTank

Sounds like a pretty poor value proposition without the new tech in play. You're paying a premium for extra silicon that is underutilised right now - Chicken/egg problem I guess. Not surprised by this, but am surprised that Nvidia hasn't forced others to have everything ready for launch day. That said I'm not sure how limited availability really is right now, nor when ga will happen - might be resolved and a moot point by then.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Damn.... the 970 was release at $329 was it? and now the 2070 $499 or $599...

Yeah, it's crazy. I have a 970 and will just stick with it. I'm not going 4K anytime soon (maybe fall 2019 at the earliest--not enough content and to many other spending obligations after buying a home). I still get 60FPS on high or ultra in most things I've been playing, 30FPS worst case.

I'm honestly non-committal to upgrading the PC period. I just don't care that much about graphics anymore and spend most of my time on Sony and Nintendo first party games anyway. All my attempts to get into PC exclusives, some indies aside, have failed as well as I hate kb/m controls and don't like genres like Sims, RTS, 4X, MOBA, CRPGs etc. So I mostly opted for just indies and multiplats--but the latter I've been going more and more with PS4 Pro versions as I'd rather buy physically and sell off when I'm done to keep costs down.

Assuming his monitor is 60HZ and he upgrades to a GPU that can handle 4K/60 or close to it (1080ti/2080), would it not be better to cap the FPS at 60? Or enable Vsync?

Wouldn't either of those options result in a better experience than capping the framerate at 30?

I'm in a similar position to the guy you quoted in that I already own a 4K TV and am saving up for a PC Build that I plan to use with it, but I really don't want to play at 30FPS.

why should they improve perf/$ when there's no competition left?
Well that's the whole point in releasing a new product to the market in the first place, if you want to sell it that is. Otherwise there will be no incentive for your previous client to upgrade, if he sees no improvement.

20 series is an actual downgrade in that regard. 980 to 1080 was +40% perf/$ upgrade! wheres 1080 to 2080 is actually a downgrade.. [~ +45% price increase, but only ~ +37% perf increase] That is an embarrassement of epic proportions to any self respecting tech company.

And when you account for the fact that new features [DLSS or Raytracing] are not even available at launch just makes it look like an even more of a failure. There's literally nothing to justify such horrible perf/$ right now.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The main reason I preordered a 2080ti is I have a nice 4k tv (well a few of them) and 1080ti is not quite good enough for playing comfortably in some games. I'm obsessed with Total Warhammer right now and 1080ti is like mid 30s with drops into 20s. From a bench today I see the 2080ti can do 50fps in TW2 and it's not dropping into 20s. I've been putting off getting a high end card for several years since I got a 4k tv because it had been just off being able to play games in 4k with the options turned up. I watch footage of people playing games in 4k on a 1080ti and there's more than a few which average only 40 to mid 40s with some pretty harsh drops (e.g. watch dogs 2)

nemiroff

Gold Member
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/122270-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-rtx-2080/
Let's get something obvious out of the way first: the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is the fastest consumer graphics card on the planet. Period. Taken over seven titles featuring specific games engines, the performance uplift at 4K over the GTX 1080 Ti is at least 33 per cent. The lead is closer to 40 per cent on newer titles that hammer all facets of the raster engine. It is the first true 4K60 card

Just like I thought. I don't give a crap about the price, spent money on worse. The cards will be absolutely perfect for VR, so I can't wait to get my Ti Trio in a couple of days and put it to use in DCS and PC2 (wish they had DLSS profiles already though).

It's also a relief to see that the cards are relatively cool and quiet.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well that's the whole point in releasing a new product to the market in the first place, if you want to sell it that is. Otherwise there will be no incentive for your previous client to upgrade, if he sees no improvement.

20 series is an actual downgrade in that regard. 980 to 1080 was +40% perf/$ upgrade! wheres 1080 to 2080 is actually a downgrade.. [~ +45% price increase, but only ~ +37% perf increase] That is an embarrassement of epic proportions to any self respecting tech company.

And when you account for the fact that new features [DLSS or Raytracing] are not even available at launch just makes it look like an even more of a failure. There's literally nothing to justify such horrible perf/$ right now.
It's a tricky one to argue. This is a huge shift in GPU design and I think they're taking an important first step here. This is as significant a leap as NV20 back in the early 2000s with the introduction of programmable shaders. However, it's just the first step and one that isn't friendly to the average consumer. So I think it's a great, important graphics card but also one only for early adopters with money to spare. The technology will evolve and improve with subsequent series eventually becoming more immediately useful.

I think it's quite exciting but, again, not the best value.

It's very shortsighted to label this an embarrassment, however. Turing is a huge accomplishment but it's just the beginning.

I'd rather see something like the 20 series versus a larger gain in traditional performance with no major shifts in design.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

I don't even think the point of these cards is about good perf/$ or "value". It's simply about being able to have the most latest and powerful consumer graphics cards available. That's what you are buying here and there's a premium for it...

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/122270-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-rtx-2080/

Just like I thought. I don't give a crap about the price, spent money on worse. The cards will be absolutely perfect for VR, so I can't wait to get my Ti Trio in a couple of days and put it to use in DCS and PC2 (wish they had DLSS profiles already though).

It's also a relief to see that the cards are so cool and quiet.

I was thinking that too. I figure new VR headsets will be out before 7nm gets going so I may as well get the card I'll eventually get now. I'm not the type to normally spend so much but I could be neutral on its cost by just being a bit less wasteful in spending. I cancelled the nytimes and wsj the other day which together could buy me one of those every few years

Orta

Banned
Still more than happy with my 1070 and I'd plump for a second hand 1080ti if I were in the market for a new card.

Will wait till the 3000 series pops up before I take the jump to 4k gaming.

Vlaphor

I have a 1080ti and these reviews are convincing me that I can hold onto this card for another generation

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
For those who want to have this in a console form factor: The Digital Storm Bolt X and Falcon Northwest Tiki now list both the RTX 2080 and 2080Ti as an option to put in these machines.

Which might be interesting for some, you will have a console sized PC that finally contains something unique that you can't find in the console space yet (RTX tech).

nemiroff

Gold Member
I was thinking that too. I figure new VR headsets will be out before 7nm gets going so I may as well get the card I'll eventually get now. I'm not the type to normally spend so much but I could be neutral on its cost by just being a bit less wasteful in spending. I cancelled the nytimes and wsj the other day which together could buy me one of those every few years

I didn't believe in Pimax's VR headset, so sadly I kinda missed the Pimax 8K train. Now after the relatively stellar reviews I'm trying to get my hands on one, but it'll probably not happen for a while yet.

Edit: Oh, wait, it doesn't have reprojection yet.. That's a concern..

Last edited:

BenBuja

Neo Member
Resullts arnt as good as leaks suggested (even "official" Nv charts).

Results from PClabpl, 29-50fps in new tomb raider doesnt look good at all, although there are some games like wolfenstein 2 that's shows HUGE performance boost.

But I have to say I like what DLSS is doing, not only it give HUGE additional performance boost, but at the same time picture quality is NIGHT AND DAY better compared to TAA. Even on YT highly compressed video I could tell a clear difference in shrpness, TAA looks very clean but blurry as always (basically like upscaled picture) while DLSS looks like SSAAx4, PICTURE QUALITY IS STELLAR. For so many years I was used to playing with MSAA, and I just couldnt stand FXAA, TAA, or other blurry crap AA method. If every new big game will support DLSS, for that feature alone I would buy RTX card.

And here's some DLAA vs TAA screenshots comparison, because it's hard to appreciate image quality based on YT video
https://pclab.pl/art78828-21.html
TAA looks very blurry compared to DLSS in that finall fantasy demo, and that fps diffrence is HUGE, minimal fps has doubled while picture quality increased at the same time.

Also RTX performance looks better than I was expecting. I thought star wars demo will run at 20-24fps in 1080p, so 30-35fps in 4K looks very good. Just imagine next gen consoles with grpahics like that.
DLSS looks incredible in this comparison. Much better than native 4K with TAA. Wow. I really hope they add DLSS to older games in the future as well

It's a tricky one to argue. This is a huge shift in GPU design and I think they're taking an important first step here. This is as significant a leap as NV20 back in the early 2000s with the introduction of programmable shaders. However, it's just the first step and one that isn't friendly to the average consumer. So I think it's a great, important graphics card but also one only for early adopters with money to spare. The technology will evolve and improve with subsequent series eventually becoming more immediately useful.

I think it's quite exciting but, again, not the best value.

It's very shortsighted to label this an embarrassment, however. Turing is a huge accomplishment but it's just the beginning.

I'd rather see something like the 20 series versus a larger gain in traditional performance with no major shifts in design.
Oh no I can't argue with the legend himself. :messenger_spock: I'm just disappointed at the moment with such an underwhelming launch, but I've been the one praising/defending the Raytracing on here... IF only nvidia waited a bit more for devs to include DLSS and raytracing in at least 3-5 games before launching those cards, then we would have seen much rosier [warmer] reception from many reviewers. I'm afraid that DLSS implementation takes some tangible time or else we would have seen in a few games already at launch instead of two old demos.

Is there likely to come a time when the 1080 ti prices (brand new) bottom out, then begin to rise again due to a lack of stock? Just wondering when the optimal time to pick one up is likely to be. I watched a Gamers Nexus video a few weeks ago and Steve reckoned October would be a good time to strike.

Top Bottom