• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia held back tech for the last 5 years. Just made PS5 and Series X outdated

PerfectDark

Banned
These consoles have no release date or price yet they are going to release outdated. I am a PC gamer but been on console most of this gen because of my kids.

It's been obvious that Nvidia has been holding back a jump with video cards for 5+ years releasing cards that barley make any jump. These 3000 series cards just prove that and now make next gen consoles not even out very outdated.

I have never been less excited for the next wave of consoles. I might just say F it and build a PC for me and my boys instead.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
These consoles have no release date or price yet they are going to release outdated. I am a PC gamer but been on console most of this gen because of my kids.

It's been obvious that Nvidia has been holding back a jump with video cards for 5+ years releasing cards that barley make any jump. These 3000 series cards just prove that and now make next gen consoles not even out very outdated.

I have never been less excited for the next wave of consoles. I might just say F it and build a PC for me and my boys instead.

What a silly hot take.

Nothing is being made outdated. Consoles and PCs are different products.

BlackM1st

Banned

Good. Galaxy Z Fold 2 is a letdown of epic proportions, so I can spend 1500 on something more worthy.

Consoles with their low level API will be able to punch above their weight. Like every gen we will see the same pattern.
Early (third party)games will portray them as weak (less usage of low level APIs but rather easier to progrsmm for high level ones),
and later in the Gen they will catch up and if we are lucky we will have at some point a state of the art PS5 exclusive again proving this fact just like the HZD PC port did.

What kind of hot take is this?

Nothing has been held back. You realize how there are multiple generations of GPU always being worked on, right? I hate to break it to you, but there's a GPU being worked on by Nvidia right now in early testing phases that will smoke the 3000 series. How do I know this? Because that's how it works. Also, Nvidia GPU's have been making great strides over the years, so I don't know where you've been. Turns out when you make the jump to a much smaller node and in your second generation of ray-tracing performance, you'll get some massive gains.

Not to mention the PS5 and Series X are no slouch. By the time they come out, they'll still be considered a entry level high-end gaming PC. Something you could absolutely not say when the PS4/Xbox One released.

Last edited:

CobraXT

Banned
Are anyone even willing to pay more than 500 $ for a console ? dafuq people want from MS and Sony to do ?
lets say Nvidia can make 60 teraflop GPU tomorrow that cost 3000 $ ? will you buy it ? it dosent make a
difference since most PC gamers are still playing on entry leve GTX 1050ti-1060 GPUs with HDDs

Last edited:
The advantage of developing for consoles is that you are working with one set of hardware. This allows you to optimize like crazy, and really eek out performance from hardware that would otherwise be considered out of date.

People put too much emphasis on being current with graphics, as long as consoles dont go back to 8bit games we''ll be fine with them giving us what they can get out of the hardware being sold at any given generation.

Additionally, consoles intentionally dont release with cutting edge everything typically to keep the consumer price of the machine down. It's convienent and often cost effective for consumers to buy a $500 machine that plays games compared to spending a ton of money on a really good gaming PC. Played right, it's also very profitable for businesses. If it wasnt, consoles would be dead years ago and we'd all be on PCs.

Consoles with their low level API will be able to punch above their weight. Like every gen we will see the same pattern.
Early (third party)games will portray them as weak (less usage of low level APIs but rather easier to progrsmm for high level ones),
and later in the Gen they will catch up and if we are lucky we will have at some point a state of the art PS5 exclusive again proving this fact just like the HZD PC port did.
200.gif

Traxtech

Everything is made to the lowest common denominator so don't let your bubble get too big before it bursts, games will be made around the consoles still which is still a win since they're more powerful now so PC gets a double win. Mega hyped for the new cards

HTK

Banned
These consoles are nowhere near being irrelevant you're just playing yourself in the heat of the moment.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Outdated" by enthusiast GPUs that will cost 3x as much as an entire PS5/XSX. I think most people would be hesitant to buy a $1500-2000 console.

Consoles will always be outclassed by top tier gaming PCs, how could they possibly not be while still having a mass market price point?

Last edited:

StormCell

You still have to have games for it. Since Sony is releasing more of their content to PC, it could be well worth it. I don't see them making a far superior product for desktop and basically making their PS5 console look bad.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
This was only done to stick it to Sony/Microsoft/AMD, great to see Nvidia not pull any punches, perf way higher than rumoured, cost of the 80 and 70 are bother lower than rumoured.
The only thing disappointing is the RAM capacity.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
"Outdated" by enthusiast GPUs that will cost 3x as much as an entire PS5/XSX. I think most people would be hesitant to buy a $1500-2000 console.

Consoles will always be outclassed by top tier gaming PCs, how could they possibly not be while still having a mass market price point?
The issue is now, that we might get really expensive consoles and that 3070/3080 is relatively cheap and really powerful.

Emmy

Neo Member
Outdated? In what sense? Suddenly, all developers canceled their console projects and started drooling over new graphics cards?
Do you want to say that new consoles won't produce great looking games with new never before seen game mechanics?

GHG

Gold Member
The amount of meltdowns on this forum because of Nvidia announcing a new $500 GPU that is better than next gen consoles... It's astonishing.

It's like people are finally waking up to the fact that the PC always has the capability to be a generation ahead.

Last edited:

UrgeLoLUS

Neo Member
I’m a pc gamer, and a console gamer. The release of these cards from Nvidia shows us one thing for sure. Nvidia has been trying to milk us for every dime instead of pushing things forward.
Only now that they are facing real competition for AMD do they step up their game and gives us a real generational leap for a decent amount of money.
I will for sure upgrade my pc this winter, but that doesnt make my ps5 purchase any less exiting.
As a few people here is pointing out, when developing for pc you have to make the game for det general pc market, not the top end. I belive many of the best graphics will be on console.

PS4 and XBoxOne were a lot more outdated and still we had a long, healthy generation, that in the end of the ride will be close to 200 millions of consoles sold and probably more than 1.5 billion of games.
People will be fine.
Tech got a real bump this time, we should be happy. Everyone will benefit from tech advancements, even those who will not spend so much money in a videogame station

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I think the fact you can buy an xsx, a ps5 and a switch and still have spare money for subscriptions to all their multiplayer services for the price of that single GPU should give you an idea how silly that comparison is.

In any case, since the gaming AAA market is dominated by consoles, you'll be rendering 10 teraflop assets on that 1500$ gpu of yours for the foreseeable 7-8 years.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The issue is now, that we might get really expensive consoles and that 3070/3080 is relatively cheap and really powerful.

The 3070 is still the cost of an entire next gen console (I believe they will be $500), and then you still need the rest of the computer (let's not get into the "I already have part X and Y" discussion - I don't, for example). And while on paper it has about 2x the compute performance of the PS5 GPU, I doubt that's gonna translate to 2x the actual real world performance.

M1chl

The 3070 is still the cost of an entire next gen console (I believe they will be $500), and then you still need the rest of the computer (let's not get into the "I already have part X and Y" discussion - I don't, for example). And while on paper it has about 2x the compute performance of the PS5 GPU, I doubt that's gonna translate to 2x the actual real world performance.
It might be more honestly, because nVidia uses different TF rating and they always has lower number. Obviously if something did not change. Will see : )

Leonidas

Damn.

Not even next-gen launch and XSX was already x60'd.

At this point I wonder if Nvidia will bring out 3050 Ti on par with PS5 :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It might be more honestly, because nVidia uses different TF rating and they always has lower number. Obviously if something did not change. Will see : )

Compared to what? Old AMD GPUs, or RDNA2?

And "coding to the metal", while silly in how some people talk about it, is kind of a thing. A game made specifically for a certain console (which will never happen with a PC game) can definitely make it punch above its weight. As can be seen in what Sony 1st parties have done with a 1.8TF GPU and a weak notebook CPU.

Last edited:

M1chl

Compared to what? Old AMD GPUs, or RDNA2?
No I meant AMD vs nVidia, they calculating different their TF number. nVidia brought most often higher performance per TF then AMD. AMD was winning on the paper, but nVidia by real world performance.

DESTROYA

B-b-but what about that SSD God level secret sauce ?

giphy.gif
Samsung has that covered

Elog

Over the majority of the last console generation I have gamed on an 1080ti and a 2080. Despite this, the best looking games have been played on my PS4Pro. The 'only' thing that my PC does better is the higher FPS.

I think the advantage in terms of graphical fidelity will be even bigger to the PS5's advantage the coming generation. First party titles run so much closer to the metal than on the PC which gives a huge efficiency advantage to the console side in addition to all the bells and whistles you can add when only having to cater to one hardware platform. If you add that PC games will be developed to scale from very old hardware and HDDs to these modern cards and SSDs, there is only so much you can do in terms of advanced post-processing and geometry without developing completely different games for the different hardware configurations.

So net-net - I think PC games will continue to look worse and most of that extra power will be diverted into FPS instead of graphic fidelity. There is so much that doesn't scale in graphics.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This announcement killed any interest I had in getting the PS5. Spent dinner chatting with brother on building a desk top for the living room.

Enjoy ratchet and clank, I’ll take Cyber Punk please.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No I meant AMD vs nVidia, they calculating different their TF number. nVidia brought most often higher performance per TF then AMD. AMD was winning on the paper, but nVidia by real world performance.

TF is always calculated the same way, it's a simple calculation of the number of compute units/cores multiplied by the clock frequency.

But yes, different GPUs can accomplish more or less in one cycle. And my point is that RDNA2 GPUs do more per cycle (or per TF) than previous AMD GPUs. I don't know exactly how Ampere compares though.

This announcement killed any interest I had in getting the PS5. Spent dinner chatting with brother on building a desk top for the living room.

Enjoy ratchet and clank, I’ll take Cyber Punk please.

Enjoy Cyberpunk, I'll take both please.

Last edited:

M1chl

TF is always calculated the same way, it's a simple calculation of the number of compute units/cores multiplied by the clock frequency.

But yes, different GPUs can accomplish more or less in one cycle. And my point is that RDNA2 GPUs do more per cycle (or per TF) than previous AMD GPUs. I don't know exactly how Ampere compares though.
Sorry my mind is messing with me again, AMD has a big advantage with double precision, with single it gets destroyed by nVidia. So yeah, as if I haven't said anything : )

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Enjoy Cyberpunk, I'll take both please.

30fps Cyberpunk, might as well cover your screen in mud and enjoy the filth. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

to be clear I’m just joking, Enjoy the game.

Last edited:

TonyK

I am on the opposite way. I played all this generation on PC, except for Sony and Nintendo exclusives. And now PS5 have all my interest meanwhile I lost interest in PC.

My reasons after years as PC gamer (I have a 1080ti and more than 600 games on Steam):
- I don't like the split of games between different stores
- HDR support is worse than consoles
- Lack of quick resume
- Games are more unstable. Not because crashes, I didn't have that problem, but instead because random hiccups, lost frames when loading, glitches...
- I'm tired of tweaking options to optimise games. I'm done with RTTS, Nvidia Inspector... whatever.

So no, next gen consoles are not obsolete, simply they are for people like me, that only want to put a game and play.

Top Bottom