• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia held back tech for the last 5 years. Just made PS5 and Series X outdated

This announcement killed any interest I had in getting the PS5. Spent dinner chatting with brother on building a desk top for the living room.

Enjoy ratchet and clank, I’ll take Cyber Punk please.
Cyberpunk should be fine for your calculator. Its does come out for this gen aswell so your woodclass storage will be up to the task.

Ratchet & Clank from PS5 would get rendered picture by picture on that laptop..

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
:messenger_tears_of_joy: You were never buying a PS5.

signed up for the perorder thing. I tend to buy tech shit on impulse even if I don’t need it. When them preorders go live it’s to tempting.

last console I wasn’t going to buy was the Xbox one x, got 2 of them. Before that was thenps4 pro, got 2 of them and before that was the Wii U, got 2 of them also...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And I should care about this why?......If I was that obsess about power then I would have bought PC by now, but getting super powerful PC is not gonna get me the games I want so whats the point?

I took a decade for PC to finally get Persona 4 Golden, how long it would take to get 13 Sentinels or SMTV on PC1?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Consoles with their low level API will be able to punch above their weight. Like every gen we will see the same pattern.
Early (third party)games will portray them as weak (less usage of low level APIs but rather easier to progrsmm for high level ones),
and later in the Gen they will catch up and if we are lucky we will have at some point a state of the art PS5 exclusive again proving this fact just like the HZD PC port did.
I mostly game on PC these days, but this is so true. Eventually, the best looking games will be exclusives released on PS5 (since Microsoft doesn't believe in generations LOL), 3-4 years from now, eclipsing anything on PC. But these new Nvidia cards are fucking beastly, and Nvidia knew they had this "ace in the hole" for when the consoles launched, they've been silently waiting to drop this bomb. Sneaky bitches.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
PC GAMER:
main-qimg-4cb49775893fdb35d6dc110133329d8e

Nvidia did exactly what folks were expecting/hoping for power wise

The entry point for that tech is mindblowing. If Sony starts pushing their exclusives to PC then why even console game with the 3070 being the same price as the the consoles?

Im getting the 3090...and if we get any more concrete signs of Sony trying their hand at PC more than that little corporate briefing thing + Horizon/Death Stranding....then I more than likely won't even look at console gaming for this generation.

Then again if Sony DIDNT push more exclusives over to PC then that puts them in better position...Why get a Series X if a 3070 is available

Last edited:

Shrap

The entry point for that tech is mindblowing. If Sony starts pushing their exclusives to PC then why even console game with the 3070 being the same price as the the consoles?
If they do that then I'm out of the console game for good. We already get MS exclusives on PC so to have Sony's as well would be massive.

I just don't know if Sony would do it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Checking your posts prior xbox one x release.....brb

check the other forum, played mostly Sony exclusives and Destiny for years. I did end up getting Witcher for Xbox because my PS4 controller was always dead from playing other stuff so didnt want to to wait to play it.

The PS4 pro/PSvr thing got on my nerves a bit (not passing hdr thru and major flickering issues) but still was my main system untill the Xbox one x came and destiny went cross save.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
These consoles have no release date or price yet they are going to release outdated. I am a PC gamer but been on console most of this gen because of my kids.

It's been obvious that Nvidia has been holding back a jump with video cards for 5+ years releasing cards that barley make any jump. These 3000 series cards just prove that and now make next gen consoles not even out very outdated.

I have never been less excited for the next wave of consoles. I might just say F it and build a PC for me and my boys instead.
Sure yea everyone's going to buy the $1500 graphics card. Because we know every PC gamer will. Not that more than 95% of them buy low to midrange cards. Not at all.

Krisprolls

Banned
So while PC/XSX version will be 4K/60, the PC version will be what ? 8K/120 ? What's the point ?

If I must freeze the game and count every pixel to see the difference, or buy cybernetic eyes, why should I care ?

Diminishing returns killed the need to put so much money in a PC for better versions, in my opinion, unless you're absolutely crazy about graphics and fps. I've got money to buy any Nvidia card, but I like to get my money's worth, and here it's just not there for me. PS4 Pro was already pretty close to PC versions... That's why I keep my 1070 PC for PC exclusives only, and I won't upgrade it.

What's sure is console exclusives will run more than fine. The rest is about games. And games are mostly about talent and budget. Those are often on consoles.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Sure yea everyone's going to buy the $1500 graphics card. Because we know every PC gamer will. Not that more than 95% of them buy low to midrange cards. Not at all.

The thing is even the 3070 is a beast and it has a pretty decent price also. The three cards shown today are better than the gpu in any console that´s a fact.

First the AMD funeral thread, now this.

FYI: All consoles, every new console generation gets "outdated" by PC. It's nothing new. PCs have new components made from hundreds of different manufacturers throughout the year while a console either gets a mid gen refresh (something that recently started) or gets a new version of that console every 6-7 years.

In other words, water is wet.

These consoles have no release date or price yet they are going to release outdated. I am a PC gamer but been on console most of this gen because of my kids.

It's been obvious that Nvidia has been holding back a jump with video cards for 5+ years releasing cards that barley make any jump. These 3000 series cards just prove that and now make next gen consoles not even out very outdated.

I have never been less excited for the next wave of consoles. I might just say F it and build a PC for me and my boys instead.
ImpossibleUntimelyAlbacoretuna-max-1mb.gif

Gosh, I can't wait to plug my controller into my new 3070 and play the games it projects onto my wall in 4K HDR.

Or, alternatively, you'd also need to factor the cost of potential RAM, CPU, Mobo, PSU, and Monitor upgrades. Especially the latter two.

Yes this is impressive, but let's not pretend this is a console killer, man.

I'm also lowkey pissed that Nvidia basically confirmed the rumors that they both held back on their GPU tech AND overcharged for what they did put out with the 20 series.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
You forgot to add some componentes to that price, last time i checked a cpu, power suply, ram, Mother board, etc were needed to run the card

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
If they held back AMD is more to blame. As for the 2000 series, we all knew that TF didn’t raise as much as they might to make room for RTX and Tensor cores

J____Av

Your boys will hate you and not appreciate the power

BlackTron

I just typed "BREAKING NEWS: high end PC hardware is way better than consoles" in that other thread, try to go on with my day and walk right into this.

WTF is going on today???

Bryank75

Banned

I had that reaction initially...I was saying to myself that I could delay buying a PS5 and just build a PC with a 3080 but then I looked at the games on PS5 over the next year and other potential exclusives....

PS5 will always justify its existence and it's wide adoption as long as it has great games that are not on other platforms bolstered by 3rd party exclusives and content.

The elimination of load times and hidden loading like elevators will make a huge difference too.

FarawayDownrightHornet-size_restricted.gif

Remind me again how much it cost to build a high-end PC for gaming.

The Alien

Banned
If by "outdated" you mean not 'too of the line'. Then yeah, consoles are outdated.

As expected.
As it has been for all of eternity.

PerfectDark

Banned
Remind me again how much it cost to build a high-end PC for gaming.

Cost you about $1300 to build a ryzen 3000 series with a rtx 3070 super. $1500 for a 3080 super. Of course that goes with a nice gold+ psu, case, 16 or maybe 32gb of ram, mobo and a 1tb ssd.

I understand consoles offer great value for the hardware. Allot of people have allot of money. I would pay 2k for a console with 3090 rtx super. Sick of limitations on stuff. Be like if the best TV you could buy would be a $500 TV.

I want a monster of a console. I do not want a PC.

Last edited:

Soltype

I have no doubt nvidia's been drip feeding performance, they don't have any real incentive to blow their load.

Top Bottom