• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia held back tech for the last 5 years. Just made PS5 and Series X outdated

All that power but I still can’t play god of war on it.

I got some news you might not like:

Zoro7

Banned
So we`re pretending that most people who consider buying something like a 3080 don`t already have a PC.....
Oh that’s great I’m happy for them. But let’s get out the mindset that this is an alternative to console gaming at a similar price point. It isn’t.

The 30 TFLOP GPU is like 4x the price of the next-gen consoles.
the 3080 is 699$.....
so you expect ps5 and xsx to come in at....175$? Now that would be a steal.....

Oh that’s great I’m happy for them. But let’s get out the mindset that this is an alternative to console gaming at a similar price point. It isn’t.
If you want more you pay more, simple as that.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Were games not shown running 25 % better performance than a 2080Ti ?

Nice, but people getting a bit hyperbolic here about paper specs.

Nothing shown in the reveal was mind blowing...old games being shown

Digital foundry, and Borderlands 3 still took forever to load.

Its nice that next gen everyone will be playing at 4k60, native, temporal or DLSS or whatever technique and users can brag about quality of light in puddles dependingh on the hardware.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Some of the all time great games are on sorry machines in comparison to PCs, you and I know consoles aren't stronger, but I'm not spending 13 days building a computer and there's always some subplot in building a PC (dramatic os downloading, $500 + to build etc.) OP will be sitting building a PC while we're all gaming on our new PS5s.

Mic%2BShot.gif

xPikYx

Unfortunately because of consoles we are far from seeing this running on our pcs

QdbdE4T.jpg

WBY3D0l.jpg

If there were still developers doing games only pc that would be a different story, unfortunately we are constrained by running console games at higher framerates and slighty better effects. so it is correct to say that consoles are holding back technology advancement

Last edited:
Just for the GPU, I meant the whole ensemble. You need a motherboard, CPU, RAM, cooler, case, etc. You can't just throw out a fucking GPU price and call it a day.
Uh huh....sure, you totally meant full system cost and didn`t simply mix up the 3080 and 3090 gpu models.

The 30 TFLOP GPU is like 4x the price of the next-gen consoles.

and
You can't just throw out a fucking GPU price and call it a day.
How many people interested in buying such a GPU don´t already have a PC hmmm? I´d bet that only a small minority would have to completely start over to make use of ampere cards.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This thread hurts my mind because it is asinine and I am sober. Nvidia didn't hold shit back. When you are winning it makes no sense to stop. The 20 series was a big step forward regardless of how marginal the improvement was outside of ray tracing.

Consoles are not the same as PC. The whole system is as cheap or cheaper than a middling GPU. And consoles are the mass market. Games will look better on PC but will largely be built for consoles. They will be great on whatever platform/GPU you choose.

Sethbacca

Unfortunately because of consoles we are far from seeing this running on our pcs

If there were still developers doing games only pc that would be a different story, unfortunately we are constrained by running console games at higher framerates and slighty better effects. so it is correct to say that consoles are holding back technology advancement

Or PC devs could take the plunge and make something that would actually give people a reason to justify spending absurd amounts of money; but they won't because god tier PCMR rigs are a tiny percentage of the population. Buying in at the mid tier almost always presents a much better value than buying in at the bleeding edge. The current average desktop is roughly as powerful as an Xbox One X on the GPU side of things.

Last edited:

replicant-

People need to stop this Ampere > XSX & PS5 narrative.

I'm seeing it all over twitter atm using the 3070 as an example. Why buy a XSX when you can get a 3070?

To cut to the chase to get the best out of my 3080 I've got a good x570 motherboard, Ryzen x3800, 32gb 3600 Ram, PCI 4.0 1tb M2, 2tb SATA SSD, AIO Cooler and a high quaity case. roughly £1500.

Last edited:
Uh huh....sure, you totally meant full system cost and didn`t simply mix up the 3080 and 3090 gpu models.

and
How many people interested in buying such a GPU don´t already have a PC hmmm? I´d bet that only a small minority would have to completely start over to make use of ampere cards.

So what is the point then?

If "this GPU cost the same as consoles, but is x times faster = why would anybody buy a console??" is the point, it doesnt add up, if you assume that people have high end PC already. Then why would they buy console anyway, if they are already so deeply invested in PC world?

If it is PC vs Console as in value, then it should be "starting from zero"

No point to compare two different audiences and say that yeah for consoles price I can get this gpu, if that is their hobby anyway, right?

Point of consoles is literally to have cheap, affordable system made for gaming in a manner that PC just cant compete with it on price and game quality, on same price range.

To get good enough gaming PC it cost like 1000-1500€ starting from zero. and high end ones go easily above 2000€.

So yes, if you compare this GPU to next gen systems, you must use the price for whole new PC or there is no point other than "current PC owners get fast gpu for 699"

Console only gamers could not care less, if they dont have 2500€ in their pocket for high end pc (why would they buy cheap on that aint much different from next gen?) + console.

Until devs see PC as the lead gaming platform, and not somewhere to re-sell your old console cast-offs, then this new tech is largely irrelevant.

Show me a new 'crysis' and i'll say well done. Until then, i laugh at the price you want me to play, so that i can up-res and increase a 'slider' on donkeys old console games and some indie tat that would run on a fridge

iHaunter

and
Regardless, it's not an exact like for like. When you buy a console, you get everything. If you already have a PC, it doesn't matter as much obviously. That's not the point of consoles anyway.

Regardless, it's not an exact like for like. When you buy a console, you get everything. If you already have a PC, it doesn't matter as much obviously. That's not the point of consoles anyway.
agreed.
As always, if you want more you pay more. There really isn`t a way around this.
Consoles are an incredible value for what they offer.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
I don't have $1500 to spend on a device just for gaming. I live in a PC-less household. Its dumb to drop over a grand in something that depreciates so rapidly.

This is why consoles exist.

iHaunter

the pricing you have in your head is ridiculously wrong.
A PC for about a grand already runs circles around the XSX.....Nvidia just made it really easy to stay within the 1k limit for a beastly machine with the 3070.

agreed.
As always, if you want more you pay more. There really isn`t a way around this.
Consoles are an incredible value for what they offer.

Getting a CPU/SSD/RAM that won't bottleneck the 3080 for a grand is not possible. Not to mention a case and a aftermarket cooler for the CPU. Did you even include a PSU strong enough to power it? The numbers in your head are way off.

Last edited:
So what is the point then?

If "this GPU cost the same as consoles, but is x times faster = why would anybody buy a console??" is the point, it doesnt add up, if you assume that people have high end PC already. Then why would they buy console anyway, if they are already so deeply invested in PC world?

If it is PC vs Console as in value, then it should be "starting from zero"

No point to compare two different audiences and say that yeah for consoles price I can get this gpu, if that is their hobby anyway, right?

Point of consoles is literally to have cheap, affordable system made for gaming in a manner that PC just cant compete with it on price and game quality, on same price range.

To get good enough gaming PC it cost like 1000-1500€ starting from zero. and high end ones go easily above 2000€.

So yes, if you compare this GPU to next gen systems, you must use the price for whole new PC or there is no point other than "current PC owners get fast gpu for 699"

Console only gamers could not care less, if they dont have 2500€ in their pocket for high end pc (why would they buy cheap on that aint much different from next gen?) + console.

Not only that, but the pc you currently have also needs to be compatible with this. Like for me, my mobo wouldnt even support it. Essentially, i would need a new build from scratch. Not exactly ideal.

"Affordable" powerful GPUs are all nice and good, but consoles are still by far the easiest and most affordable way for the mass market to get into gaming.

Its not even close.

Getting a CPU/SSD/RAM that won't bottleneck the 3080 for a grand is not possible.
you obviously haven`t built a gaming PC in the last 5 years......If you avoid the "gamer grade"-crap pc components aren´t actually that expensive.

Last edited:
Great counter argument. Show me the hardware that costs $1k to support a 3080 including the GPU cost.
Yeah...thanks for reading....

A PC for about a grand already runs circles around the XSX.....Nvidia just made it really easy to stay within the 1k limit for a beastly machine with the 3070.

the 3080 is too much for a 1k build. But the 3070 already trumps the 2080 ti which mobs the floor with the XSX and leaves a good 500$ for cpu, ssd, mobo,, ram and psu so,......

Last edited:

iHaunter

Yeah...thanks for reading....

the 3080 is too much for a 1k build. But the 3070 already trumps the 2080 ti which mobs the floor with the XSX and leaves a good 500$ for cpu, ssd, mobo,, ram and psu so,......

Even to not bottleneck the 2080Ti you'll need 2-3x the cost of the console in hardware (2080Ti is $1300). Also make no mention that no matter how good your specs are, you'll need a PCIE 4.0 system to keep up with the PS5 since the SSD I/O throughput is only possible on PCIE 4.

Last edited:
These consoles have no release date or price yet they are going to release outdated. I am a PC gamer but been on console most of this gen because of my kids.

It's been obvious that Nvidia has been holding back a jump with video cards for 5+ years releasing cards that barley make any jump. These 3000 series cards just prove that and now make next gen consoles not even out very outdated.

I have never been less excited for the next wave of consoles. I might just say F it and build a PC for me and my boys instead.
how does this make the ps5 outdated people who buy the ps5 will 100% be the market vs pc which is like android not everyone will have it so still many years behind since devs will always account for the lowest common denominator 😜

Even to not bottleneck the 2080Ti you'll need 2-3x the cost of the console in hardware (2080Ti is $1300).
A 3070 is 499 and what kind of nonsense are you spouting concerning bottlenecking the 3070......a mid range zen cpu, a normal nvme ssd and 16gb of ram and such a machine leaves the XSX in the dust without the gpu ever being held back by the cpu...unless you want to play CS:go in 1080p and 300+ fps with it.....

Last edited:

PerfectDark

Banned
The point is not the price or cost of consoles or gpu's.

The point is you want to go into a next gen console with top of the line hardware. These consoles last 7+ years. Thethe 3000 series for nvidia is one of the biggest jumps in power ever in gaming. These console can't even be considered next gen. They are coming out of the gate already ancient and outdated the way hardware is pushing forward in a few months.

Are they better the current consoles of course but your buying consoles built on tech from 5 years ago. These consoles are already going to feel 5 years old on release. How terrible do you think these consoles will be in 3 years? We will have RTX 6080s in 3 years.

Entroyp

PS5 is way more powerful than PS4, that’s what matters to me.

How my future gaming PC compares to my PS5 is irrelevant because it will be 3x-4x the cost... of course I expect it to be way more powerful.

PS5 is way more powerful than PS4, that’s what matters to me.

How my future gaming PC compares to my PS5 is irrelevant because it will be 3x-4x the cost... of course I expect it to be way more powerful.

Well, apparently thats news to that master race. They apparently all got Alzheimers at the same time and forgot that new GFX cards usually come out regularly and are more powerful than what console GPUs have.

Last edited:

QdbdE4T.jpg

WBY3D0l.jpg

You got it backwards, buddy: If it wasn’t for consoles raising the standards every generation, you would be playing the Original Quake at 24K 360 frames per second. The large PC market, which has entry level configurations and no SSDs is the one that will be dragging everything down.

Xenon

QdbdE4T.jpg

WBY3D0l.jpg

Wow I had no idea the PC Gamers got together and decided all to upgrade their Hardware at the same time. Congrats on the win guys

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
See, this is why you need fucking exclusives.. a reason to go out and buy an underpowered box.

Face it, Nintenda Soooweeetch has more appeal than a Xbox Series X

When is the last time a PC centric game took advantage of the latest technologies available? Well, Crysis. Nothing else since, and I doubt you will see anything of that scope in the near future, imo. The PC market is simply too fragmented to allow it. The cards get more and more powerful, without ever getting exploited for anything other than adding a layer of effects on a relatively simple and often outdated game skeleton.

Last edited:

Bl@de

Some of the all time great games are on sorry machines in comparison to PCs, you and I know consoles aren't stronger, but I'm not spending 13 days building a computer and there's always some subplot in building a PC (dramatic os downloading, $500 + to build etc.) OP will be sitting building a PC while we're all gaming on our new PS5s.

Yeah ... Maybe you really should stick to consoles if it takes 13 days for you to build a computer.

DJT123

So much asinine justification for settling for an entry level gaming experience on here. Consoles are OK, no need to bend your brains in order to downplay the other side who maybe take the hobby more seriously.

QdbdE4T.jpg

WBY3D0l.jpg

You're right, it's CONSOLES preventing this from happening, not the fact that over 90% of PC gamers are still in the 10 Series and lower. That can't POSSIBLY hold PC gaming back, no siree.

Krisprolls

Banned
I got some news you might not like:

Until now all PC got was a crappy port of the old HZD, so don't hold your breath for God of War or any other recent game.

Last edited:

JimboJones

The point is not the price or cost of consoles or gpu's.

The point is you want to go into a next gen console with top of the line hardware. These consoles last 7+ years. Thethe 3000 series for nvidia is one of the biggest jumps in power ever in gaming. These console can't even be considered next gen. They are coming out of the gate already ancient and outdated the way hardware is pushing forward in a few months.

Are they better the current consoles of course but your buying consoles built on tech from 5 years ago. These consoles are already going to feel 5 years old on release. How terrible do you think these consoles will be in 3 years? We will have RTX 6080s in 3 years.
Consoles will still be the baseline and relevant even with more powerful hardware on PC, but we will get to experience dat sweet performance and image quality uplift with more powerful hardware🤤

Last edited:

Bkdk

Very exciting times ahead for pc gaming. A lot of people will upgrade their pc consider Rtx3080 is such a value purchase, also Microsoft has been super on point with their pc support lately, 3 strong goty contenders within a month all on PC game pass, with Many more great pc games to come there, just a perfect time for so many to upgrade, rtx3080 Should last 6 years for many and it will likely be the power for second version of console half way through next gen around 2023.

xPikYx

You're right, it's CONSOLES preventing this from happening, not the fact that over 90% of PC gamers are still in the 10 Series and lower. That can't POSSIBLY hold PC gaming back, no siree.
many of them can't see a reason to upgrade their gpu to play console games lol

Kaleinc

Banned
I probably missed it when nvidia took an oath to report its 10 year roadmap (which is set in stone and can't be modified) to console makers.

DeaDPo0L84

It'll always be confusing to me when people assume high end gpus are useless because there are no PC exclusive games to fully leverage them. While that may be true to an extent, most every 3rd party game when played on a high end PC is league's better than on console.

I know Horizon is the big gotcha game right now but even with the issues it had at launch it's still better than the console version and will continue to improve. CP2077 is legit the only reason I'm buying a new GPU. With maxed out settings and full ray tracing capabilities plus the ability to maintain 60fps or higher,fuck yes that's worth it to me.

Is it an exclusive,no,but the CP2077 experience I'll have is exclusive to PC because consoles will be an entirely different experience. Then you look at other games like Destiny 2 that also don't take full use of current gpus BUT the experience on PC is entirely different than on console. For a game I have put nearly 1,000 hours into there is zero fucking chance I'd ever play it on console again cause of how shitty it is there.

Also guess what, I'll probably buy a PS5 as well to play those few exclusive games that may/may not come to PC cause I'm in a position to do so. But Xbox and all 3rd party games will play best on a high end PC and that's where ill play those games. If this is mind boggling to you or you're unable to comprehend this scenario then just move on,this childish back and forth is fucking exhausting,feel like I'm on gamefaqs.

Last edited:

avalonzero

The consoles aren't really outdated. The next gen raises the bar for games all around so that PC's have games with newer engines and tech that will make their hardware shine even more. Consoles sort of feed the PC market in a lot of ways.

Top Bottom