• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Probably going to build a new computer after this and the Ivy bridge stuff is out. I'm primarily excited to get rid of my 5870, which I absolutely hate. Not buying ATI's shit again.

confused

Banned
RPsNO.jpg

hTKHx.gif

looks hot. Convinced me, at least.

mxgt

Banned
Saw it appear on Overclockers for a second

£430, jesus. If I sell my 570 it's considerably less but i'm not sure if it's worh it or not

JudgeN

How long does it take for Amazon to normally get fresh on the market GPUs? Would love to pick one up without having to pay tax.

Honestly for the people lamenting getting a 7970, just do a slight overclock and you will get 680 performance, with better minimum FPS.

Im still waiting on benchmarks at 5760 * 1080, but seeing the 2560 results im not expecting the 680 to perform better than the 7970. Still if they prove me wrong, I will be selling my 7970 soon.

What I really need is an overclocked 680 vrs overclocked 7970 review both with Stock cooling, should be very interesting.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No game should you be CPU limited with a i7 930. Are you running stock clocks?
I don't know what to do then.

In the games where I've encountered dips below 60 fps I would basically stand and face a portion of the level with FRAPs reporting a framerate below 60 and adjust settings. In the case of Battlefield 3, for instance, I found that even taking my settings to the lowest settings versus the highest could not bring the framerate up in those instances which suggests to me that the drop was caused by the CPU.

I'm not running stock clocks, but I'm still keeping it pretty reasonable (3.2 Ghz instead of 2.8). Most games are fine, I suppose, but I try to eliminate any and all performance dips and that is proving difficult with some games.

I still haven't been able to enjoy The Witcher 2 as it just doesn't run consistently at all (though I suspect the issue there is the game itself). It's never choppy, but it likes to hover between 50-60 fps which simply doesn't appear smooth.

scogoth

I don't know what to do then.

In the games where I've encountered dips below 60 fps I would basically stand and face a portion of the level with FRAPs reporting a framerate below 60 and adjust settings. In the case of Battlefield 3, for instance, I found that even taking my settings to the lowest settings versus the highest could not bring the framerate up in those instances which suggests to me that the drop was caused by the CPU.

I'm not running stock clocks, but I'm still keeping it pretty reasonable (3.2 Ghz instead of 2.8). Most games are fine, I suppose, but I try to eliminate any and all performance dips and that is proving difficult with some games.

I still haven't been able to enjoy The Witcher 2 as it just doesn't run consistently at all (though I suspect the issue there is the game itself). It's never choppy, but it likes to hover between 50-60 fps which simply doesn't appear smooth.

I'm running a 930 at 3.8 with 2x GTX470 and have never been CPU limited. I hit 120fps in BF3 at high settings. Dropping down to low I get 150, which is why I dont think your CPU limited. I guess 600MHz is making a huge difference.

TheExodu5

Banned
NVidia still doesn't fare too well in Metro 2033.

And whoa, massive leap over my GTX 570 for Shogun 2.

shogun2_1920_1200.gif

Are there any Witcher 2 benches out there? It's primarily the game I want to upgrade for.

demigod

us.ncix.com taking orders on 680 for $499, not bad. Thought it would be $550 at least. AMD needs to drop the 7970s to $449 imo.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's a damp squib in terms of overclocking & a shame that the base frequency is locked. Wonder how people will react.

Wait...what? That sounds ridiculous.

That seriously tells me something better is around the corner. Low tdp, low noise/temps, and locked clocks? They're holding it back for something else.

I'm waiting on my purchase for sure.

Why is this, ram issue?

Architecture/driver issue.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm running a 930 at 3.8 with 2x GTX470 and have never been CPU limited. I hit 120fps in BF3 at high settings. Dropping down to low I get 150, which is why I dont think your CPU limited. I guess 600MHz is making a huge difference.
Keep in mind that my framerate CAN go much higher than 60, but I am limiting it to 60 fps with v-sync on purpose. It holds that most of the time, but there are plenty of instances when it still dips.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For Aussies, a few 680s appeared on StaticIce early this morning and were later removed. If memory serves, they'll be at least ~$650 (~$100 higher than a 3GB 580).

1-D_FTW

us.ncix.com taking orders on 680 for $499, not bad. Thought it would be $550 at least. AMD needs to drop the 7970s to $449 imo.

I don't know. 3 GB vs 2 GB. The 7970 beats the 680 in the latency benchmarks over at techreport (possibly driver related, possibly not). Unless you're pre-disposed to not deal with AMD drivers (which no amount of money will change), does it really dictate they be 50 dollars cheaper?

Got an EVGA 680 from newegg, now to sell my GTX 470. How much you think I could get for it?

Judging from ebay, around 175. Slightly more or less depending on what brand it is.

Just read the entire Multi munitor extreme resolution review at HardOCP and even though I don't believe the performance gain over the 7970 is enough for me to go out and sell mine for a 680 I must say im disappointing in AMD and I should have waited.

For me, AMD GPUs are over, I have been their customer since the 9800 days and next time I get a GPU It will be an nVidia, cheaper price and better performance per dollar, who would have thought, congrats nVidia.

Damn, missed out on the ASUS so I had to settle for an EVGA.
Although I'm technically downgrading in performance by a little bit (currently have a GTX 590), getting rid of SLI will be worth it. Simply not interested in it anymore, because of microstutter bullshit and spotty compatibility. For instance, I had to play Alan Wake with only one of the GPUs in the card - playing it with a single, gimped GTX 580 GPU is not the most ideal way to do it. It was only two days ago that the SLI profile was finally released, and the performance difference is like night and day.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll still get a good amount for the 590, so the damage to my wallet will probably be nullified. I think I have another older card around here that I can sell as well, so yeah... can't wait for the new card to arrive.

Looks like it's selling out pretty fast on Newegg as well. Down to two manufacturers.

scogoth

how much can you OC this card? is the 7970 OC on par with the 680 OC ?

680 ocs differently, it's now an offset for GPUs boost with the ability to raise power limits. You cannot directly over clock it. Good news, you won't be able to fry your card, bad news, hardcore ocing will be difficult.

Generally 680 wins at max vs max oc. Metro likes that extra VRAM and avp has always been better on AMD cards.

max_oc_vs_7970.gif

And really EVGA? You can make a better looking hydro copper 680

GTX-680-126.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
WHAT! ALL SOLD OUT ALREADY!? Wow, sorry, I am raging. Can't believe they went THAT fast on newegg... ugh.

Ordered one on amazon since i'm a Prime member and there's no sales tax for Californians there, unlike newegg. sadly it's already sold out there too :( hope new stock arrives fast.

Wonder how many 7970 users are hit with buyer's remorse these days?

I know I am, raging right now actually, lol the only reason i didnt wait was because i honest to God thought nVidia wasnt going to implement triple screens or even 4 screens in a single GPU. They did a LOT of things right with this GPU, GK110 will be a monster, will have to wait for that.

It looks like Nvidia have a massive winner on their hands! I can't wait to see what the GK110 will bring and for the 104 price cuts that will come with it. Might hold off on my build until it comes out...

Ivy Bridge + GK110!

Mystery

Waiting for the Hydro Coppers to come out, then I'll be in for 2. Just ordered a new Danger Den double wide case the other day, in anticipation of Kepler. :D

I definitely should have waited but, I don't feel too bad about it. There isn't much I can do about it now and the card has been great up to this point.

I think AMD is in quite a pickle right now, they NEED to drop down the price, but damn I (and every other owned) will be livid if they drop it by $100~$200 in the 3 months its been on the market, they are fucked either way.

Top Bottom