• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Mobile Kepler - 2W, 192 cores more powerful than 8800GTX

KKRT00

This has downgraded textures and effects compared to the PC version for people who didn't read the AnandTech article. Sub surface scattering was definitely removed based on this.

SSS is in, they've even turn it off and on in the demo and its actually visible on those shot.
But yes, assets quality is reduced.

Saty

Today marks a new technological milestone in Unreal Engine history.

Thanks to an exciting collaboration with our partners at NVIDIA, we are demonstrating desktop PC game content developed with Unreal Engine 4 on NVIDIA’s next-generation mobile processor, “Logan.”

The demonstration unveiled today is special because it is running on OpenGL 4.3, the most advanced specification for rendering graphics across a wide range of platforms. In addition, Logan is a fingernail-size system on a chip (SOC) that features the same Kepler GPU architecture that powers the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, 780 and Titan video cards.

For the past three years at GDC, Epic has chosen to develop and showcase our high-end technology demonstrations – Samaritan, Elemental and Infiltrator – on NVIDIA Kepler-based GPUs. Now we have that same powerful GPU architecture in a mobile chip.
http://epicgames.com/community/2013/07/epic-games-at-siggraph-2013/

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/07/24/sweeney/

JordanN

Banned
Very impressed with the tech demo! I could actually see Nintendo go with such or similar chip in their next handheld if the performance and effiency are real and not fake like in the past. I could actually see devs porting over X360/PS3/Wii U games to the 4DS if the CPU and GPU are this good. Tesselation should help keep the poly count down too :)
Don't you mean up? Tessellation introduces new geometry, not less.

I don't really care for smartphone or tablet gaming (especially without physical controls).

The barrier to making a closed platform consoles hooked up to the TV used to be very high and the value you'd get from a console vs. a similar priced PC was much better, in terms of performance, form factor and support (to some).

3-5 years from now, I don't see how closed platform consoles won't start to see massive competition from people who offer similar price/performance/form factor options with Steam or any other digital delivery system. Maybe even retail discs.

What do closed platforms have left to offer? Exclusive games? Reliability?

Snakeyes

I don't really care for smartphone or tablet gaming (especially without physical controls).

The barrier to making a closed platform consoles hooked up to the TV used to be very high and the value you'd get from a console vs. a similar priced PC was much better, in terms of performance, form factor and support (to some).

3-5 years from now, I don't see how closed platform consoles will start to see massive competition from people who offer similar price/performance/form factor options with Steam or any other digital delivery system. Maybe even retail discs.

128 GB GGGR5

Yeah, 2W but with that *small* heatspreader above the soc.

Nvidia history in the mobiles soc´s :

Tegra 1 - Prepare for the future (in the end wasnt so fast)
Tegra 2 - Prepare for 4x the future (in the end nobody even noticed)
Tegra 3 - Prepare for the Warp drive (born dead)
Tegra 4 - Prepare to conquer the universe (we´ll see)

Im still waiting for dat pc performance Nvidia !!!

Ty4on

While I wouldn't hate open platforms (I'd looove console games in 1080p and 60fps) I don't think closed will die because they're so much easier for the consumer. A PS3 will always play a PS3 game like any other PS3 and games made for Android will be made for a million GPUs without any of the features or performance of this chip.

8800GT was able to run Crysis 2 in average 30+fps in 1900x1200 on lowest settings [so higher than consoles]. So yeah.

There weren't even consoles that output at higher than 1080p and you're comparing it to the PS3/360 GPUs which are way weaker than the WiiU's so I don't know how you're determining anything

WolvenOne

Getting there, but probably not as impressive as some people are assuming. I saw a number of typical tricks developers use to ease the burden on GPU's during cinematic scenes. During gameplay, the visuals simply wouldn't look this good.

Still, its progress. At least assuming they can shrink the energy draw to fit current batteries it is.

While I wouldn't hate open platforms (I'd looove console games in 1080p and 60fps) I don't think closed will die because they're so much easier for the consumer. A PS3 will always play a PS3 game like any other PS3 and games made for Android will be made for a million GPUs without any of the features or performance of this chip.

Perhaps. Just as an example though, couldn't another option be a small form factor box that runs windows and steam games and GOG, etc... at per-determined specs? The cost of the hardware is also going down, so I don't see that as a barrier to manufacturers offered more PC content available. You'd just have to partner up and integrate PC digital distribution storefronts into your box.

How big would the market for bringing such a thing under the TV be (not including people already gaming on PCs)?

New Battery Tech Coming.

Should help with all these quads and newer gpus in mobile. Don't know when the tech will be ready for consumers though ;p

Really interesting stuff, I hope the tech matures sooner than later.

On the topic of the GPU demo: Logan might be extremely advanced relative to other mobile graphics platforms,but if that island demo is anything to go by, it is paired with a very slow ARM cpu.

I'm willing to bet something major had to take a hit for Logan to fit in such a thermal profile. My guess is that it is running on a 64bit memory bus -- whereas Nvidia's desktop GPUs generally run on a 256bit bus.

Alchemy

Now we just need mobile phones with proper controls built in, and a user base that values software. All this mobile tech is great for laptops to me, but shit for phones and tablets. Joe Average has proven time and time again on the App Store they don't value the same games that people on consoles and dedicated gaming handhelds do. The majority of people don't own phones to play games, its just a side activity and their spending habits show as much.

Blearth

Banned
Now we just need mobile phones with proper controls built in, and a user base that values software. All this mobile tech is great for laptops to me, but shit for phones and tablets. Joe Average has proven time and time again on the App Store they don't value the same games that people on consoles and dedicated gaming handhelds do. The majority of people don't own phones to play games, its just a side activity and their spending habits show as much.
Yeah! Nobody bought X-Com or KOTOR!

Why are people so angry at Nvidia?

This info is impressive, no matter how you try to spin it.

Will they achieve the same performance with a retail product? We'll see.

I call this bullshit. Otherwise, they'd just have to stack all those chips to make it a 20W, 10 times more powerfull than 8800GTX.

Rashid

Banned

There's a battery advancement every week pretty much but they never happen because the US govt' as well the Chinese who control most REE would lose out on a lot of money if suddenly battery demand reduced a fuck ton because they last a week again. So they quietly shut down the projects by force and make sure they never see the light of day in real world production and use.

velociraptor

Fuck tablet gaming. I want this tech in my laptop!

This sounds amazing. The 8800GTX can play EVERY SINGLE PC game @ 720p at mid-high graphics.

This has downgraded textures and effects compared to the PC version for people who didn't read the AnandTech article. Sub surface scattering was definitely removed based on this.

In the video they said they haven't removed SSS...

According to the video at least, the mobile version uses textures in lower res and the shaders have been simplified to be single pass, while on titan they do many many more passes for each shader to iteratively get the most realistic result.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
There's a battery advancement every week pretty much but they never happen because the US govt' as well the Chinese who control most REE would lose out on a lot of money if suddenly battery demand reduced a fuck ton because they last a week again. So they quietly shut down the projects by force and make sure they never see the light of day in real world production and use.
Source?

Any source for this?
Would be nice to read about.

ElusiveCoder

Neo Member
All this processing power in a mobile GPU is nice and everything, but there's a major issue with most mobile devices; they tend to just use a reference design for the SOC with little or no "on chip" RAM for the GPU and a single channel memory bus.

So fill rate is terrible, texture fetch times are terrible and all that bus blocking means the CPU and GPU are fighting for resources.

Until the device manufacturers stop being such cheap-skates on the SOC design, it's not going to matter how beefy the CPU and GPU are. Without a good system design, it's going to be very difficult to come close to the sort of performance we're used to seeing on current gen consoles.

velociraptor

Curufinwe

Whatever helps you sleep at night mate.

I sleep just fine knowing there are no magical solutions coming in the next five years for battery life and heat dissipation in half inch thick tablets. I'm sorry reality conflicts with your dreams of tablet domination in graphics.

KKRT00

I sleep just fine knowing there are no magical solutions coming in the next five years for battery life and heat dissipation in half inch thick tablets. I'm sorry reality conflicts with your dreams of tablet domination in graphics.

So You havent read article at all?

BTW have You heard about Razor Edge Pro Tablet?

Curufinwe

So You havent read article at all?

BTW have You heard about Razor Edge Pro Tablet?

Yes I have, and yes I have. The Razor Edge Pro Tablet is bears very little resemblance to the vast majority of tablets because it's a bulky, heavy, and expensive niche product.

Top Bottom