• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield Thread

wilflare

I saw a video which made a pretty valid point on why the Shield Tablet is not very portable. I am tempted to get Shield Portable, but I think they will make a 2.0 version sometime this year. I will wait for that one.
I know it is pretty much a phone, but I use my phone as a phone and would not like to use it to play games.

I agree. I'm kinda more inclined towards the Shield Portable as well but I really want a 2.0 instead... (and I'm more inclined towards a DS4 as the controller but that can be worked out)

If I ever get the Shield Tablet, it will be mounted on a spare DS4 or something with GameKlip or something like that

RemotePlay and Limelight were fun to try on my Note3 - won't be using them much though. like you said, phone's a phone

FamousAspect

Neo Member
I love the shield portable. Lately I've been playing The Evil Within on it, before that DMC, Tomb Raider and others.

Sometimes at the end of the day I just want to lay down on the couch and game. Shield portable is perfect for that.

addyb

I love the shield portable. Lately I've been playing The Evil Within on it, before that DMC, Tomb Raider and others.

Sometimes at the end of the day I just want to lay down on the couch and game. Shield portable is perfect for that.

This.

Had a hard couple of weeks and more often then not I just cant be bothered turning my pc or consoles on to game. So far this does everything I want. It still seems surreal playing pc games on a portable device. That as well as ps4 games, emulation and some decent controller supported android games means it's absolutely brilliant for my needs. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I've bought max payne, Chinatown wars, the bards tale and dead trigger 2. Any other must have ports? I was thinking half life 2 and vice city.

This.

Had a hard couple of weeks and more often then not I just cant be bothered turning my pc or consoles on to game. So far this does everything I want. It still seems surreal playing pc games on a portable device. That as well as ps4 games, emulation and some decent controller supported android games means it's absolutely brilliant for my needs. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I've bought max payne, Chinatown wars, the bards tale and dead trigger 2. Any other must have ports? I was thinking half life 2 and vice city.

pick up portal, HL2, vice city and san andreas. all pretty nice ports.

georgc

I don't know of this is the place to say it but I love the shield streaming technology. I have a raspberry pi and limelight and being able to stream games/emulators/media to my tv from my gaming rig with 1ms lag is amazing. I've enabled remote desktop settings in geforce experience and it's like my computer is hooked right to my tv. It blows my mind everytime.

I don't know of this is the place to say it but I love the shield streaming technology. I have a raspberry pi and limelight and being able to stream games/emulators/media to my tv from my gaming rig with 1ms lag is amazing. I've enabled remote desktop settings in geforce experience and it's like my computer is hooked right to my tv. It blows my mind everytime.

Wow. Didn't think of the pi being able to do this. I have a few spare ones lying around.

Yes!
I finally managed to get the over-the-internet streaming working at my girlfriends place. I think it was allowing the port forwarding on the router that finally managed to allow for it.

Pretty cool that I was able to get it working, but I'm sure I'd have a better connection if my PC at home had a wired connection to my router. It's just too far away for that to be viable. The connection was spotty and not very playable on a 2.4GHz connection (not even the South Park SoT's character creator), but once I switched my Shield to the 5GHz wireless it worked a lot better and I was extremely impressed by how little delay there was in the controls, even with playing a shooter like Borderlands 2.

I also didn't realize that Nvidia gave Shield owners access to a Gaikai/Playstation Now type of service for free (as far as I can tell). It's the Nvidia Grid thing and there's actually a nice little selection of games available (I own most of them already, but still). I don't have a 5 GHz connection at my place, so it's pretty stuttery and usually disconnects after a while, but I was able to play quite a bit of LEGO Marvel.

Krejlooc

Banned
I also didn't realize that Nvidia gave Shield owners access to a Gaikai/Playstation Now type of service for free (as far as I can tell). It's the Nvidia Grid thing and there's actually a nice little selection of games available (I own most of them already, but still). I don't have a 5 GHz connection at my place, so it's pretty stuttery and usually disconnects after a while, but I was able to play quite a bit of LEGO Marvel.

Grid is new-ish, actually. I think it launched a month or so ago. It's also free right now, which is kind of cool.

addyb

Yeah grid is free until June. New game gets added every Tuesday as well :)

Hopefully the sub prices are reasonable and not ps now pricey.

DrMcNulty

I think Nvidia really caught lightning in a bottle. The streaming quality is so good it almost seems like magic. I think if MS is smart, they should purchase this technology for their next system. But I really, really hope not. I love the open nature of the platform and I hope that never changes.

Krejlooc

Banned
do you need a shield tablet to do 1080p streaming or can you do 1080p streaming to the shield portable? I ask because game stream is annoying and the way it changes my resolution every time I launch the game, but doesn't change it back when game stream is closed.

do you need a shield tablet to do 1080p streaming or can you do 1080p streaming to the shield portable? I ask because game stream is annoying and the way it changes my resolution every time I launch the game, but doesn't change it back when game stream is closed.

Portable is 720p, but i believe it will downsample higher resolutions. Think you need to turn off 'game optimization' to keep it from changing your game res and other settings, tho.

Tested PS4 Remote Play on my Nvidia Shield Portable: stream works, but my Shield has significant input lag (making any game unplayable), despite my very own PS Vita performing admirably under the same network conditions (no input lag whatsoever).

No idea why the Vita would perform better than the Shield under the same network environment (both are connected wirelessly to the router, which in turn is directly connected via ethernet cable to the PS4).

I see a few also suffering from this same input lag on various forums: anyway of addressing this issue? The fact that the Vita streams perfectly fine via remote play indicates it's an Android/Shield issue specifically.

RobbieNick

I purchased a refurbished Shield from FRYS a little over a week ago and have had a great experience with it so far. However, I only learned right now in this thread about GRID. This works great! I only get a bit over 30 FPS, but I'm on a 3.5 MPS DSL line and the minimum is supposed to be 10MPS. Cosidering I can't get Playstation now to work at all, this is huge. I can't believe the service is free until June of this year!

Rafterman

Banned
Those of you who own this device, which streams better Steam In-Home or Nvidia Shield? I've been playing around with the Steam streaming but I really don't like how much it degrades the picture compared to how it looks on my native screen. Does Shield have this same problem?

Krejlooc

Banned
Those of you who own this device, which streams better Steam In-Home or Nvidia Shield? I've been playing around with the Steam streaming but I really don't like how much it degrades the picture compared to how it looks on my native screen. Does Shield have this same problem?

It depends on your router and the device receiving the stream. I actually create an adhoc network using the built in 802.11ac dual band built in nic on my mobo (h97z) and both stream about the same. Im streaming from a pc with an i7 4970k to the steam machine they gave me at dev days, however. I'd imaging using a pc with a poor cpu over a wireless g connection would be awful, as an example.

For some reason in my environment, I feel like nVidias solution is the worse, I use limelight instead of Gamestream and its so much better its not even funny.

My environment is Gaming PC connected to router via Gigabit ethernet and Shield using 5GHz network.

wilflare

You can try the beefier cousins for the pi. Like the banana pi pro or hummingboard. I got mine at 720 60fps and its flawless.

Not sure about the Raspberry Pi, but the Amazon Fire TV stick definitely does if you're looking for a cheap Limelight device.

thanks guys! hmm I have the FireTV and it doesn't do 1080p60. will be surprised if the TV stick does 1080p60 :O

nVidia really needs to look into releasing a Shield Portable 2

addyb

Been looking at some of the tegra games on my portable. Decided to take a punt and go for shadowgun. A blatant gears rip off but I think it's really good. Especially for a few quid. I tried the dead zone version as well which is MP only and came top in my first game Lmao I had no idea what I was doing either.

I tried dead on arrival 2 as well but removed it after 5 mins. A bit crap imo.

addyb

I tested limelight streaming last night and found it terrible compared to the nvidia stream. Even with tweaking the settings. Ok a bit OTT not terrible but not as good as nvidia default which works quite well for me.

All depends on the game. For some reason borderlands pre quel has lag every few mins but borderlands 2 (also in my steam library) doesn't.

Thinking about picking up a Shield Portable but I do have some questions:

- A lot of talk about a v2 potentially coming soon. Are these rumors coming from anywhere at all? Are they 100% speculative?

- I don't have a compatible card for streaming yet. Do I have any other options for game streaming? Maybe Splashtop?

- I know I just missed the Gamestop deal; have deals been frequent at all? Should I try waiting for a deal?

The act of writing this post made me think maybe I should just prioritze getting a new gfx card and wait for either a v2 or a deal on v1? What do you all think?

Krejlooc

Banned
Thinking about picking up a Shield Portable but I do have some questions:

- A lot of talk about a v2 potentially coming soon. Are these rumors coming from anywhere at all? Are they 100% speculative?

- I don't have a compatible card for streaming yet. Do I have any other options for game streaming? Maybe Splashtop?

- I know I just missed the Gamestop deal; have deals been frequent at all? Should I try waiting for a deal?

The act of writing this post made me think maybe I should just prioritze getting a new gfx card and wait for either a v2 or a deal on v1? What do you all think?

Get a gfx card first imo.

Krejlooc

Banned
I played freedom planet in my bed last night, I can't tell you how awesome that is. I have used Kainy and splashtop and all other solutions in the past, and I am still blown away by how well Gamestream works. It's pretty much on par with my WiiU gamepad using my H97n dual-wifi 802.11ac built into my mobo. I just build an adhoc network at boot on my PC by calling a script I wrote, then connect directly to my PC at the 5ghz band. Smooth as silk.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is it easy to hook it up to play emulators on the TV? I know it has a console mode but I don't know if that has any limitations.

It's android so it has a ton of options for getting it onto a big screen. For example, you can google cast to any android device, like chromecast or google nexus player, to mirror the output of the device wirelessly to your screen. Or if your display supports miracast, you can output wirelessly to the screen as well. You can also use allcast to get this wirelessly mirrored to a device.

Of course, the best option is just using a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to output from the thing to your tv directly.

suikodan

To remote play PS4 on the Shield Portable this is what I did:

1. Update Shield Portable to Android 4.4.2
2. Install the Playstation App from the Google Play store
3. Download the beta 4 version on the remote play fix from this thread
4. Run that APK file from your downloads to install it
5. Open the new Remote Play app
6. Skip any controller pairing and click next to start it looking for the PS4
7. Sign in once to your PSN account then skip the search
8. Pair the device with your PS4 by going to the add device under remote play settings on the PS4 (ensure the connect directly is turned off while your at those menus)
9. Enter the number on the Shield and it should connect
10. IMPORTANT: Hold start until the controller mapping comes up. Remove any button mappings
11. FOR FULL 720p RESOLUTION: Before connecting to the PS4, hit the settings dots in the upper right. Change the video quality to high. This will only work if you have a very strong connection. It works great for me when I'm only a couple feet from my 5ghz wireless router. Any walls in between and the connection breaks up.

And that's all! You don't need to be rooted, just go through the steps and it should work with full controller support. Even R3 and L3 work as they should with games like CoD or Battlefield. To use the PS button touch the screen and hit the little bars at the bottom.

I get stuck at step 9. I can enter the numbers but the app says that it cannot register the PS4. Could it be because I already have 2 devices (PSV and PSTV) paired with the PS4?

So I just got a Nvidia shield portable now they have come down in price. Previously I have been using a nexus 7 with a wired controller for mainly the .emu emulators. I am aware that if you upgrade from 4.2 these programs have issues.

Question is should I stick at 4.2 and use these or update to the latest version of android? Is it only these ones affected and if so is retro arch a better option? Also will not updating to the latest version cause me issues down the line say with pc streaming when I get round to trying it?

Weevilone

I'm considering a Shield Tablet, but I'd rather just add a 128GB microSD card than spend for the 32GB model.

However, I'm reading that it doesn't quite address the issue of storage limitation. Can a friendly Android user please explain or link me to something explaining how internal memory differs from the expanded memory?

Thanks

mr stroke

Does the NVIDIA shield let me stream every game on my PC to my TV/tablet (Stuff not in Steam or Origin like-SC2, Smite, GOG library, DOS emulators, etc..)
Or is it only select compatble games?

Does the NVIDIA shield let me stream every game on my PC to my TV/tablet (Stuff not in Steam or Origin like-SC2, Smite, GOG library, DOS emulators, etc..)

You can stream most things, but some will need to be added manually on the host PC in geforce experience. Not everything works, though. I could stream anything I'd tried until today when I couldn't launch Resident Evil HD.

Mikeside

I'm getting a bonus in the next few weeks and I've decided I want a SHIELD.

I'm going to be using it to play games streamed from my awesome PC on the sofa while my partner watches shit TV but also I'm away with work a LOT, so I want something that will be able to play a lot of games whilst I'm sat in a hotel room.

I'm torn between the SHIELD and the tablet & controller combo.

Is there anything like the GameKlip for attaching the SHIELD tablet to the controller? What if I used a DS4 instead?

Is there any way of streaming games from my PC over 4G, or is it local only?

I'm considering a Shield Tablet, but I'd rather just add a 128GB microSD card than spend for the 32GB model.

However, I'm reading that it doesn't quite address the issue of storage limitation. Can a friendly Android user please explain or link me to something explaining how internal memory differs from the expanded memory?

Thanks

My only Android device with an SD card is my Note 2, so I can only talk about my own experience with the storage.

To my knowledge (at least with Android 4.3), you can't actually install apps to the SD card anymore. There's an option in the App Info screen to move some of the app data to the SD card, but the majority of it is usually required to be installed on the system memory. Stuff like movies, music, and pictures can all be put on the SD card. I hear Lollipop improved the SD card usefulness, but I don't know how or if it's even true.

If you're using emulators I think you can be OK with having the games on the SD card (it might depend on the emulator).

With the few years I've had my 16GB Note 2, I would recommend getting a 32GB internal device minimum espcially if you want to have a lot of games installed. My 16GBs of internal storage has lasted me up to this point but it is tight; I don't have many games installed (and not very large ones) and I do find myself deleting some games to make space.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How far away from your computer can you be in order to stream games to your shield? Do you have to be close by, or can you drive to another place in town? Sorry if the question is stupid.

iceatcs

Not all supported, quite of number of them are not working even with the pictures I.e. Picture with no control working. Directdraw games seem have problem with it.

Even not all Steam games are work well with it.

Delt31

Can someone please help me find an emulator for the nvidia shield portable that runs super mario world at 0 frameskip? Surely there must be one. NOT AUTO I want no skipping. Thanks

Krejlooc

Banned
My micro-HDMI to HDMI cable arrived yesterday so I tried Metal Gear Rising with the streaming tech at 1080p using 802.11ac

awesome performance, the shield really is a cool portable.

A while back I mentioned that I was having trouble streaming things which weren't officially supported, but I realised that it was because I had the "optimise games" setting turned on. Now I can launch anything from Steam.

Top Bottom