• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWReport rumor: Nintendo "doubled down" on motion controls for Star Fox Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeM86

Yeah, they released sooo many bad games lately.

They've released less than a handful, yet have released many great games lately also. Yes, amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis sucked, but countless other titles have not

Let's not mess the issue here.

We've known this game would focus on motion control since 2014.
We've known it'll also have a non-motion option since E3.

Why people are reacting like this, I have no bloody clue.

Let's wait until we, you know, have confirmation of whatever doom narrative people have here before we start bitching. Sheesh.

Major Marvelous

Neo Member
I enjoyed the gyro controls from Splatoon, so I'm sure I'll be ok with the controls in this game. Not sure why everyone is going crazy.

They are well designed games, sure, don't recall them being broken or anything like that. Just not good games.
Is there any reason why you don't think they're good games? The mechanics or just the premise? Otherwise, I'm having a hard time seeing how you can see the games as well designed yet not good.

Nintendo has handled this series terribly. Are they really so lacking in creativity that they need to remake the same game over and over? How about a sequel to Assault, please? How about not ruining how the game looks because you insist on forcing the gamepad nobody wanted into it?

Motion controls were there from the very beginning, how could they possibly double down on them? You have to use two Gamepads to play now?

Alberto's quote is a bit shocking, but really nothing is going to keep me from playing this. It looks better each time we see it and I'm optimistic.

TDLink

It sucks really.

Imagine if Platinum had given full leeway, and if Kamiya was around. We'd get Macross-tier shooting shenanigans, Fox and Wolf shouting each other's names while their fighters barrel roll against each other and their laser beams acting like rapid fire fist clashing, more character interaction, and a much more flexible gameplay.
Doubling down on removing them would be a preference. This game could have been so much better. Blazing fast action combat of platinum with a Nintendo IP. Such waste.
This pains me greatly. There was so much potential with giving Platinum this IP. Instead they're just being forced to follow Miyamoto's flawed vision.

Like I said a couple of pages ago, I really don't agree with Miyamoto's belief that every game in a series has something radically different about it. Look at most Nintendo franchises and they are all this way. Now, sometimes that is great. It's cool that every Zelda, for example, is pretty different while keeping the same core consistency.
But it becomes a problem with series that go on long hiatus like Star Fox. Due to this line of thinking every SF game that comes out is extremely different and based around a different focus. We aren't allowed to just have a "normal" classic Star Fox, despite long gaps between releases. Since SF 64 each one has been something entirely else. And most of those are still enjoyable and good games, but they aren't really what people want in a SF game. And this looks to be following that trend, but it's wrapping itself in the literal trappings of 64 (which is also bad). People want Star Fox 64-2, yes, but not literally the same locales and story remixed from 64...and this isn't that anyways because of the motion controls informing the game design in a seemingly negative way.

You see this same problem with Miyamoto's influence in other series like Paper Mario and Metroid. He's stated himself that it is why we haven't received a new F-Zero in over a decade. This thought process permeates throughout Nintendo due to Miyamoto's influence. It is one of the reasons they have been so successful. It keeps franchises fresh and new. But at the same time it prevents some franchises from being able to iterate in a positive way. It works for Zelda and Mario because they come out frequently. It worked in the Wii Punch-Out because it really suited that series. But for franchises long dormant like Star Fox, sometimes people just want another one like the best in the series. Instead every single time there is this insistence to make it different from what made those initial entries so successful in the first place.

I don't understand how Miyamoto can't see what the two perspective aiming that is shaping the game due to the gyro controls is doing to the core game design.

Rodin

The implication that "Nintendo" is a single entity rather than having many people, each given specific workload with Star Fox Zero being Miyamoto's work.
I read your edit and removed that quote from my post. That being said Miyamoto is the producer and merely a supervisor in SF0, directors are Hashimoto and Hayashi. If a game made by a team of a certain number of people has problems is not because of the producer or the directors but something likely went wrong during the development because of issues we may not know about. And we can't even know if the game is great, good or bad until it comes out.

They've released less than a handful, yet have released many great games lately also. Yes, amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis sucked, but countless other titles have not

Let's not mess the issue here.

We've known this game would focus on motion control since 2014.
We've known it'll also have a non-motion option since E3.

Why people are reacting like this, I have no bloody clue.

Let's wait until we, you know, have confirmation before we start bitching. Sheesh.
I was being ironic if that wasn't clear. The reactions in this thread are baffling to say the least.

JoeM86

I read your edit and removed that quote from my post. That being said Miyamoto is merely a supervisor in SF0, if the game has problems is not because of him and him alone but likely something went wrong during the development but we can't know this until the game comes out.

I was being ironic if that wasn't clear. The reactions in this thread are baffling to say the least.

The only new info is what ShockingAlberto has said, but that's just rumour at this time and it's illogical for people to go so crazy as to cancel preorders based on rumour.

Honestly if the audience, or at least the bulk of the audience, wants another regurgitated 64, better for the series to die.

Even though the audience up until Zero hasn't really gotten a original game that's identical to SF64's game design ever since it's release?

If people simply wanted a regurgitated 64 the 3DS remake should had been a commercial smash, rather than doing okay numbers at best. Similarly, Zero is being played up as a modern adaptation of SF64, and yet pre-release reception seems to be lukewarm at best. That kinda points to people wanting more than just a SF64 rehash from a new Star Fox game...

Only the sith deal in absolutes. I will do what I must.

One bad game and Nintendo is suddenly falling from grace lol?

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Amiibo Festival.

Devil's Third (I even defended this game once)

Is there any reason why you don't think they're not good games? The mechanics or just the premise? Otherwise, I'm having a hard time seeing how you can see the games as well designed yet not good.

Mechanics. Premise had potential.

Rodin

The only new info is what ShockingAlberto has said, but that's just rumour at this time and it's illogical for people to go so crazy as to cancel preorders based on rumour.

I agree, although i think that people who enter this thread to say "preorder cancelled" or "they just lost a sale" probably don't even own a Wii U.

Amiibo Festival.

Mechanics. Premise had potential.

Devil's Third isn't a Nintendo game
Mario Tennis is a good game with good gameplay, the problem is that it was rushed and lacks content but if it was a 20$ eShop download i doubt people would have complained about it (aside from Golden Sun fans)
amiibo Festival is a party game and an experiment to see how amiibo-based games would do on the market, the problem was releasing it for 60 bucks instead of giving it for free with the AC amiibo

Not sure what's your point

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I always thought he was the head in SF0's development, not just supervisor.

This pains me greatly. There was so much potential with giving Platinum this IP. Instead they're just being forced to follow Miyamoto's flawed vision.

Like I said a couple of pages ago, I really don't agree with Miyamoto's belief that every game in a series has something radically different about it. Look at most Nintendo franchises and they are all this way. Now, sometimes that is great. It's cool that every Zelda, for example, is pretty different while keeping the same core consistency.
But it becomes a problem with series that go on long hiatus like Star Fox. Due to this line of thinking every SF game that comes out is extremely different and based around a different focus. We aren't allowed to just have a "normal" classic Star Fox, despite long gaps between releases. Since SF 64 each one has been something entirely else. And most of those are still enjoyable and good games, but they aren't really what people want in a SF game. And this looks to be following that trend, but it's wrapping itself in the literal trappings of 64 (which is also bad). People want Star Fox 64-2, yes, but not literally the same locales and story remixed from 64...and this isn't that anyways because of the motion controls informing the game design in a seemingly negative way.

You see this same problem with Miyamoto's influence in other series like Paper Mario and Metroid. He's stated himself that it is why we haven't received a new F-Zero in over a decade. This thought process permeates throughout Nintendo due to Miyamoto's influence. It is one of the reasons they have been so successful. It keeps franchises fresh and new. But at the same time it prevents some franchises from being able to iterate in a positive way. It works for Zelda and Mario because they come out frequently. It worked in the Wii Punch-Out because it really suited that series. But for franchises long dormant like Star Fox, sometimes people just want another one like the best in the series. Instead every single time there is this insistence to make it different from what made those initial entries so successful in the first place.

I don't understand how Miyamoto can't see what the two perspective aiming that is shaping the game due to the gyro controls is doing to the core game design.

I disagree in the notion that SF was given that treatment (as in, forced "innovation"). Adventures was just a reskinning of a most-likely mediocre Rare game with no SF intentions. Assault was an arcade game scrapped and turned into a console game that is so unpolished yet has gems in it that it makes me cry that we will never see its full potential. Command is... Command. I have no idea what they were going for it.

So they never really had a goal of "innovating" with Star Fox in their releases after 64.

Even though the audience up until Zero hasn't really gotten a original game that's identical to SF64's game design ever since it's release?

If people simply wanted a regurgitated 64 the 3DS remake should had been a commercial smash, rather than doing okay numbers at best. Similarly, Zero is being played up as a modern adaptation of SF64, and yet pre-release reception seems to be lukewarm at best. That kinda points to people wanting more than just a SF64 rehash from a new Star Fox game...

And yet you always see people complain about why "it's not like 64!" in these threads.

Like I feel like me and some few are the only people wanting a "fulfilled" version of Assault.

JoeM86

Amiibo Festival.

Devil's Third isn't developed by Nintendo

Mario Tennis is developed by Camelot.

Amiibo Festival was a mis-step yes.

So, that isn't actually Nintendo's based on your examples. Interesting.

Peltz

I don't know, this game looks excellent to me. But then again, I've loved many uses of motion controls previously.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Seeing plenty of videos of people playing Wii Music it's understandable why many don't like motion controls.

Apparently the concept of subtle movements is foreign to them.

I expected a better spin, Joe. Saying that Camelot isn't basically a second party developer and Nintendo had no hand in the game is naive.

But sure, keep your head in the sand, the problems will go away.

J@hranimo

Banned
Hmm....this is interesting, but fortunately for me I'm still looking forward to the game.

If it controls shit, then it controls shit. At least I supported the Starfox series. Also some of ya'll should leave the hyperbolic comments alone lol.

TDLink

I always thought he was the head in SF0's development, not just supervisor.

I disagree in the notion that SF was given that treatment (as in, forced "innovation"). Adventures was just a reskinning of a most-likely mediocre Rare game with no SF intentions. Assault was an arcade game scrapped and turned into a console game that is so unpolished yet has gems in it that it makes me cry that we will never see its full potential. Command is... Command. I have no idea what they were going for it.

So they never really had a goal of "innovating" with Star Fox in their releases after 64.

And yet you always see people complain about why "it's not like 64!" in these threads.

Like I feel like me and some few are the only people wanting a "fulfilled" version of Assault.

Each of the three Star Fox Games post 64 are radically different from 64. And with Command they very much wanted to have classic style Star Fox on-rails levels, but Miyamoto vetoed it because he wanted it to be different. There are interviews out there with Dylan Cuthbert saying as much. I like Assault and Command a lot despite being different...but I want a traditional Star Fox like the first two and 64 again. Is that too much to ask? It's been nearly 20 years. And Command was a decade ago now. Star Fox Zero absolutely primarily exists because Miyamoto had this control scheme/two perspective idea. He's admitted as much that it originates as a Wii Tech demo for this idea. I highly doubt this game would exist without it. And that's a problem in philosophy of what is needed for there to be a new entry in a franchise.

JoeM86

I expected a better spin, Joe. Saying that Camelot isn't basically a second party developer and Nintendo had no hand in the game is naive.

But sure, keep your head in the sand, the problems will go away.

Nintendo does have a hand in every game they finance, sure, but that doesn't mean they're solely responsible for everything that goes wrong and it's irrational to say so.

Boss Doggie

Each of the three Star Fox Games post 64 are radically different from 64. And with Command they very much wanted to have classic style Star Fox on-rails levels, but Miyamoto vetoed it because he wanted it to be different. There are interviews out there with Dylan Cuthbert saying as much. I like Assault and Command a lot despite being different...but I want a traditional Star Fox like the first two and 64 again. Is that too much to ask? It's been nearly 20 years. And Command was a decade ago now. Star Fox Zero absolutely primarily exists because Miyamoto had this control scheme/two perspective idea. He's admitted as much that it originates as a Wii Tech demo for this idea. I highly doubt this game would exist without it. And that's a problem in philosophy of what is needed for there to be a new entry in a franchise.

I doubt you'd have your 64-like game again with Platinum in full control, since they'll probably treat it differently.

And yeah they were different, but my point is outside than Command they never seemed to be developed with innovation in mind due to their history.

TDLink

I doubt you'd have your 64-like game again with Platinum in full control, since they'll probably treat it differently.

And yeah they were different, but my point is outside than Command they never seemed to be developed with innovation in mind due to their history.

Yes with Platinum it would have more flair and probably a bigger focus on "cuh-razy" moments in the narrative. But I'm ok with that. I like platinum and I think that could work with Star Fox. I don't need it to be 100% the same, but I want the core to be the same. This game the core is very clearly changed.

And part of my point is that not only was something like Command developed with "innovation in mind", but they have waited a decade to bring out another title because rather than just release a new game with its traditional and proven gameplay they had to wait for Miyamoto to come up with a way to make it different. This is the same reason that Miyamoto has stated we haven't had a new F-Zero. It's a dumb way to look at making new games in a franchise.

Let's apply some logic:

If I delay a major title for 6 months, am I spending this time "doubling down" on the control scheme ... or am I working on additional features and general polish.

Hmm... tough one.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I am sure Project Giant Robot and Project Guard are going to be GREAT!!!!!!!!!
yIJPVbY.jpg

You will all be having THIS MUCH FUN!!!!!!!

Boss Doggie

Yes with Platinum it would have more flair and probably a bigger focus on "cuh-razy" moments in the narrative. But I'm ok with that. I like platinum and I think that could work with Star Fox. I don't need it to be 100% the same, but I want the core to be the same. This game the core is very clearly changed.

And part of my point is that not only was something like Command developed with "innovation in mind", but they have waited a decade to bring out another title because rather than just release a new game with its traditional and proven gameplay they had to wait for Miyamoto to come up with a way to make it different. This is the same reason that Miyamoto has stated we haven't had a new F-Zero. It's a dumb way to look at making new games in a franchise.

I honestly feel like they just really don't care about this franchise as much as Miyamoto, and even then I feel like Miyamoto is handling the series wrong.

Speaking of which I wonder if that has an effect on SF's representation in Smash. in Brawl Star Fox got so much love, complete with references to things only found in source materials. In Sm4sh Star Fox felt like sterilized and Orbital Gate felt like a bastardized "SF0"-ed version.

gafneo

Banned

Also, Platnum isn't going to mess this one up. development hell is for games with no release window. We had StarFox gyro controls in SF64 3D. It's not like it will turn into SuperMan 64.

Davey Cakes

Debbie Downers, the thread.

People will shit on anything if it doesn't align exactly with their expectations and desires.

This isn't just a Platinum game. Nintendo likes to experiment. If you're a Nintendo fan, you need to get fucking used to it.

If the game sucks and bombs hard, then that'll be that. But writing it off so soon is just another reason why gaming in general is a cynical mess of a hobby sometimes.

This wouldn't suprise me. Potential motion controls aside, this looks awful regardless, unfortunately.

It sucks to say it since I love Star Fox and P*, but... yeah, hard pass for me on this.

spookyfish

If true, then Nintendo's string of legacy "hits" continues.

Mario Party 10

Animal Crossing Bored (U C wut I did there!) Game

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

and now this.

Not really sure of the context in regards to how they have "doubled down", so I'll wait for more concrete info. It's impossible to tell if this means doubled down as in Skyward Sword's combat with was good, or if it's everywhere without reason like Skyward Sword's swimming, which was bad.

dangatang

Neo Member
I don't really trust platinum to make intuitive motion controls, they have a hard enough time with their standard controls.

Pinky

Banned
WTF is this thread? Is this about SF0 or is this another "lol, Nintendo sucks" thread?

Nothing here surprises me anymore. #NeoFAQS

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like that in the year of Splatoon and Mario Maker apparently Nintendo's 2015 output is summed up by Amiibo Festival and a Mario Tennis.

I understand why people are disappointed they didn't get a proper Animal Crossing, because they apparently love cherry picking.

WTF is this thread? Is this about SF0 or is this another "lol, Nintendo sucks" thread?

Nothing here surprises me anymore. #NeoFAQS

I would venture to guess a majority of people in this thread are Nintendo fans, like myself.

But nice work with the GameFAQs reference. Maybe the mods won't think to look at the spoiler.

TheJoRu

Watching Nintendo's fall from grace is truly hysterical and depressing.

Nintendo has a console. Nintendo needs games for this console. No one (well, almost) but Nintendo itself develops games for this console. Nintendo therefore commissions a lot of games. Some of the games turn out poor, because the need for games right now = short and rushed development.

There is no fall from grace. Nintendo is trying to fill gaps in the release schedule, and at times (Mario Tennis, Amiibo Festival etc.) the quality suffers for it. With a more successful console the need to churn out games quickly would be smaller, meaning more leeway with development times. A game like Mario Tennis would've been possible to delay in order to make more content, because games from other companies would lessen the blow.

MagnesD3

If this is the case (and it probably is) this puppy will bomb just like the last few star fox games. Ive hated seeing one of my favorite franchise just torn apart over the years and it sadly seeming like the trend will continue.

blog-fish-jump.jpg

I personally played Star Fox Zero at E3 and the controls were incredibly precise, the level design was pretty barren but the core mechanics were solid. I can't fathom how they could have gotten worse. I imagine it will be a similar case to Skyward Sword where some people love them and others hate them.

Pinky

Banned
I would venture to guess a majority of people in this thread are Nintendo fans, like myself.

But nice work with the GameFAQs reference. Maybe the mods won't think to look at the spoiler.

I mean, I see SF0 in the thread title, but it looks like some are using this thread as an opportunity to shit on other Nintendo games as well. Like I said, not surprised. And if the mods see my reference, oh well. Don't care.

Jigorath

Banned

Your level of spin is embarrassing.

Nintendo published all of those games. They put their names on those titles, and they should take responsibility for how they turned out.

TDLink

blog-fish-jump.jpg

I personally played Star Fox Zero at E3 and the controls were incredibly precise, the level design was pretty barren but the core mechanics were solid. I can't fathom how they could have gotten worse. I imagine it will be a similar case to Skyward Sword where some people love them and others hate them.

My problem isn't even the controls in and of themselves (especially since the analog is an option anyways), but because they're forcing the game design to be more sparse and barren as you noticed. It is intrinsically changing the core and overall slowing down the game, and that's my biggest problem. When you used gyro controls on the 3DS remake of 64 it also took out enemies for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom