• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWReport rumor: Nintendo "doubled down" on motion controls for Star Fox Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Regarding a classic return, how far off will Star Fox 0 be once the player selects the "not motion control" option?

That's the rub I think. People are arguing that if the game is balanced around the motion controls and the two screen set-up, then the game will be compromised even when playing with sticks. That's assuming the game doesn't scale its intensity depending on the chosen control scheme. (Honestly, I can't see nintendo bothering.)

The argument makes some sense to me in light of the dual-perspectives thing; could be that they had to dumb the game down to account for the player constantly switching between screens, which would suck for those using sticks.

Again, if Zero controlled like Splatoon, this wouldn't be a problem--in fact, they'd probably have to make the game faster and throw more enemies at the player to account for the additional accuracy.

Edit: don't nobody be talking mess about the Double Down, damn it. I won't stand for it...

When has doubling down on anything ever been a bad idea? Oh yeah...

KFC_Double_Down_%22Sandwich%22.jpg

That said, these two companies have crafted some of the finest games this medium has ever seen; I'll give them the benefit of playing the game before casting aspersions.

Pizza

...except the control sticks are used?

What is going on in this thread?!

I was exaggerating, but I dislike that Starfox looks to be a first person flight sim on the gamepad and the stuff happening on the main screen seems like it shouldn't be the focus while playing. And the whole game suffers for that.

Motion control hate is irrational around here.

I don't mind if people try motion controls and hate them.

It doesn't mean they are bad but it at least means they are bad for them.

What is obvious though is that some write them off immediately upon hearing they're in just based on the premise of them(the infamous "gimmick prejudice"), not the practicality.

They can be hit and miss but I give them a fair shot(except for Splatoon, I was impatient and too eager to play the game so I went with dual analog and jumped into the online---will definitely keep them in mind even after all this time though).

Yukinari

Motion control hate is irrational around here.

There are Nintendo games that use motion control great like Galaxy and Pikmin 3. It doesnt need to be shoehorned into Star Fox.

Makes me worried about how theyre gonna innovate F-Zero if they ever revive it. Will they tack on a new control scheme like Miyamoto said could happen?

Diffense

The game is built around gyro controls so alternate controls would probably be tacked on. I would be in favor of their removal if it meant a more focused experience.

fhqwhgads

It's good to know GAF has moved on from "Fire Iwata" to "Fire Miyamoto" now.
Seriously though it seems like people are just looking for reasons to hate SFZ because they got bored of complaining about amiibo.

jariw

That's the rub I think. People are arguing that if the game is balanced around the motion controls and the two screen set-up, then the game will be compromised even when playing with sticks. That's assuming the game doesn't scale its intensity depending on the chosen control scheme. (Honestly, I can't see nintendo bothering.)

The argument makes some sense to me in light of the dual-perspectives thing; could be that they had to dumb the game down to account for the player constantly switching between screens, which would suck for those using sticks.

Again, if Zero controlled like Splatoon, this wouldn't be a problem--in fact, they'd probably have to make the game faster and throw more enemies at the player to account for the additional accuracy.

Edit: don't nobody be talking mess about the Double Down, damn it. I won't stand for it...

I'm so confused by this thread. What does "even when playing with sticks" mean? Doesn't Star Fox Zero always play with sticks, it's just the aiming part that's with gyro?

Diffense

I'm so confused by this thread. What does "even when playing with sticks" mean? Doesn't Star Fox Zero always play with sticks, it's just the aiming part that's with gyro?

The E3 control scheme that i'm aware of has aiming mapped to gyros and movement controlled by both sticks (L-altitude, R-heading). It was never a motion-only game.
Probably there was an option to aim with a stick but those weren't the default controls.

jnWake

MOTION CONTROLS?!

MOTION?

M-

I actually like them, but we still have to see if they're good or bad in this game.

AdanVC

I just hope for the best and that the game will turn out to be an ok title. It definitely lacks that charm most Nintendo games have of what I've seen so far.

What does "doubling down" even mean here? Added more of them? Tried to make them work better? Removed the apparent option to turn them off? Added Wiimote support? Like what?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I used to enjoy IR pointing and (well made) motion controls on the OG Wii.

I really don't like motion controls with the Wii U Gamepad. It's too much of a brick to move around and switch attention between screens. It's a bit of a mess.

Why not go pure analog? It has worked in the past.

I would be happy with the conventional control scheme for this one. Or they could go back to Wiimote+nunchuk, that would be OK too. But I don't like the gyro on the Gamepad, it just doesn't work for me.

This has nth to do with W101 nor usual PG titles. Where's the action, where's the ambition, where's the over the top scenes, where's the fast pace ?

SF0 just look like a slow and boring shooter with a gimmick shoehorned to it.

It's pretty obvious PG here is doing an asset work, not a creative work.

Your opinion is noted!

Am I going to be the only one that asks what double down means?

It's a blackjack term (maybe other games too? I don't gamble much) where you receive a chance to double your bet mid-round under certain circumstances. In this case, it means that Nintendo is attempting to put more emphasis on motion controls in some way in the hopes that it will pay off by making the game better/cooler/more popular.

Thus, people worried that traditional controls are no longer an option, people worried that there will be bizarre new gimmicks that may go wrong, etc. When the game already had the option of being played in a motion-centric way, people are concerned that ratcheting up the motion control someone may be actively hostile to people who don't like motion controls.

Tookay

What does "doubling down" even mean here? Added more of them? Tried to make them work better? Removed the apparent option to turn them off? Added Wiimote support? Like what?

Yeah, I'm a little baffled by what they mean.

It was a motion-controlled game before. How is it any different in its current state than previously?

Bulbasaur

Banned
It's a blackjack term (maybe other games too? I don't gamble much) where you receive a chance to double your bet mid-round under certain circumstances. In this case, it means that Nintendo is attempting to put more emphasis on motion controls in some way in the hopes that it will pay off by making the game better/cooler/more popular.

Thus, people worried that traditional controls are no longer an option, people worried that there will be bizarre new gimmicks that may go wrong, etc. When the game already had the option of being played in a motion-centric way, people are concerned that ratcheting up the motion control someone may be actively hostile to people who don't like motion controls.

Thank you for the clarification.

Yeah, I'm a little baffled by what they mean.

It was a motion-controlled game before. How is it any different in its current state than previously?

When someone tells me they're doubling down on a task with a time limit, like homework or a project, I assume they mean working hard to get it done on time and to an acceptable standard.

On the other hand, when someone "doubles down" on an opinion I assume they are being stubborn and insisting the sky is objectively red or some such nonsense.

I feel like either could potentially apply in this situation.

It's good to know GAF has moved on from "Fire Iwata" to "Fire Miyamoto" now.
Seriously though it seems like people are just looking for reasons to hate SFZ because they got bored of complaining about amiibo.
lmao...

People want the game to be bad, coupled with some "insiders" just spouting stuff anybody could make a guess on people are going nuts

majik13

Hopefully, if it truely aint working, they cut their loses, and retool the game for NX. You know that Miyamoto saying. Hopefully they make the right choice.

TDLink

lmao...

People want the game to be bad, coupled with some "insiders" just spouting stuff anybody could make a guess on people are going nuts

I don't think anyone actually wants this game to be bad. Star Fox is one of Nintendo's niche core-appealing series (along with Metroid and F-Zero). Most Nintendo fans want good entries in these series since they rarely release at all.

I don't think anyone actually wants this game to be bad. Star Fox is one of Nintendo's niche core-appealing series (along with Metroid and F-Zero). Most Nintendo fans want good entries in these series since they rarely release at all.
Considering people taking a dump on the game before they even play it im just saying it how I see it. I mean I can see where they coming from but sheesh calling it a bad one for you played it? How somebody gonna call the game boring it aint even out yet? Like who are you?

TDLink

Considering people taking a dump on the game before they even play it im just saying it how I see it. I mean I can see where they coming from but sheesh calling it a bad one for you played it? How somebody gonna call the game boring it aint even out yet? Like who are you?

You don't need to play the game to see that the level design is sparse and the game speed is seemingly slower due to being designed around the Gyro controls. Or that time is wasted on stealth levels where you control a robot or Project Guard/Giant Robot type stuff. None of that is really Star Fox-y.

Also some people did play the game at E3, and those reports are mixed at best.

The last new Star Fox game was in 2006...10 years ago. We might not get another Star Fox for another 10 years. We want it to be good.

You don't need to play the game to see that the level design is sparse and the game speed is seemingly slower due to being designed around the Gyro controls.

Also some people did play the game at E3, and those reports are mixed at best.

The last new Star Fox game was in 2006...10 years ago. We might not get another Star Fox for another 10 years. We want it to be good.
You do need to play the game though to determine if it is boring. I didnt say anything about slow or sparse. Yes people played the game at e3 and yeah its mixed reception. Still it was never the full game. Hold on for the one time.. geez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom