• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWReport rumor: Nintendo "doubled down" on motion controls for Star Fox Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Should have been like splatoon with a map on the gamepad.

Or, you know, make it utilize the control sticks built into the pieces of plastic the console is shipped with.

Nah fuck it lets just replace the main controller with an iPad, that'd be great.

...except the control sticks are used?

What is going on in this thread?!

gafneo

Banned
Dual analogues are dope, I like innovation, I even bought a Steam Controller!

The tablet is a weird idea but games like Mario Maker work incredibly well on it, the only thing I hate is how terrible the hardware is. The screen is bad, the battery is incredibly bad, etc.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe. of course I won't buy Star Fox if it's motion controls only, there's no way in hell i'm wasting money on that thing

Well I think there is enough types of motion out there for everyone. It's like when people say they don't play video games and never will, but somehow there is billions being poured into things from GTA to Candy Crush. What I mean is, there is a wide spectrum to go by.

Mory Dunz

I edited my post with more info ;)
The thing i liked, and something people seem to be missing, is the cockpit view on the gamepad is more of a last resort when killing enemies (to aim more accurately), relegated to specific areas (boss fights), or a means to unlock secrets also in specific and less busy sections of levels. Once you know WHEN to switch (and i felt the game had good pacing switches to indicate this), it becomes very satisfying and unique.

thx

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Star Fox Zero + Mention of motion controls becoming important to the gameplay - remember that traditional control is an option = Kill Miyamoto

I can't believe Miyamoto decided to make us control the game by shouting insanities into the microphone instead of just pushing buttons... What a dumb decision, Miyamoto hasn't done anything good in is whole career.

Seems like wording used to rile people up.

It's a gamepad, other than what they showed there's not much you can do by way of motion controls.

Vena

I can't believe Miyamoto decided to make us control the game by shouting insanities into the microphone instead of just pushing buttons... What a dumb decision, Miyamoto hasn't done anything good in is whole career.

This would work great in Splatoon... it comes rather naturally.

Hell, "doubling down on the motion controls" just sounds like they're focused on fixing it to work better with the star fox concept more than anything.

On top of the video I already posted, the Nintendo Direct just a few months ago ALSO demonstrated the stick-controls again.

And I very much doubt that's changed since then--particularly as that was AFTER the delay announcement. Why show off a feature they know they're going to cut?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like wording used to rile people up.

It's a gamepad, other than what they showed there's not much you can do by way of motion controls.

Yeah, the "doubling down" on motion controls wording is troubling. If true, it could mean any stick only control method is half-assed if they put a ton of focus on making the game optimized for motion controls.

But it's just wording in a click bait title, so who knows what's been changed.

Star Fox Zero + Mention of motion controls becoming important to the gameplay - remember that traditional control is an option = Kill Miyamoto

The entire premise of the thread = (IS) devs (so probably Miyamoto) have put more emphasis on motion controls => (ERGO) it is quite probable that early remarks of motion controls being optional are no longer valid.

Not that panic attacks are sensible, but the fact that PR has said something about the game half a year ago combined with the fact that game got delayed isn't the greatest argument ever.

TDLink

On top of the video I already posted, the Nintendo Direct just a few months ago ALSO demonstrated the stick-controls again.

And I very much doubt that's changed since then--particularly as that was AFTER the delay announcement

That stuff makes me happy but they still need to have the levels adjust to those controls, which hasn't been confirmed yet. Otherwise there are still problems with it being slow and sparse in enemy density.

The entire premise of the thread = (IS) devs (so probably Miyamoto) have put more emphasis on motion controls => (ERGO) it is quite probable that early remarks of motion controls being optional are no longer valid.

Not that panic attacks are sensible, but the fact that PR has said something about the game half a year ago combined with the fact that game got delayed isn't the greatest argument ever.

But they showed the game off just barely over 2 months ago...

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Good.

Get it out of your system now Nintendo because I don't want to see any Motion Controller nonsense when the NX rolls around outside a gyroscope.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Good.

Get it out of your system now Nintendo because I don't want to see any Motion Controller nonsense when the NX rolls around outside a gyroscope.

What type of motion control is there on the Wii U gamepad outside of a gyroscope?

Eh...

It was closer to 3 months ago and the stuff they showed was almost identical to the e3 stuff but with some minor graphical upgrades. We haven't really seen anything truly new since e3.

It's been 2 months and 14 days, so no, not closer to 3-months.

TDLink said:
It was closer to 3 months ago and the stuff they showed was almost identical to the e3 stuff but with some minor graphical upgrades. We haven't really seen anything truly new since e3.

They showed off an entirely new level

Close enough. And regardless my point stands. They've basically shown us nothing new since e3.

No, it's not "close enough" when you were the one who argued your estimate was closer than mine, which it wasn't.

And apparently you missed my edit, because they showed off an entirely new level. But even if they hadn't shown anything new, the point remains it's extremely unlikely they would showcase a feature, only to cut it so soon

TDLink

It's not "close enough" when you were arguing your estimate was closer than mine, which is wasn't.

And apparently you missed my edit, because they showed off an entirely new level
You're being semantic. I don't care about who's technically closer in time. That really doesn't matter. You're right your number Is closer by a couple days than mine. Who cares.

My point Is we should know a lot more about this game than we do considering it's allegedly coming out in a couple of months.

Toxi

Banned
From the shambolic reveal behind closed doors in 2014 to now I've never seen a game in a major series have so little positivity around it.
Pretty sure Metroid Prime Federation Force beats Star Fox Zero in that department.

You're being semantic. I don't care about who's technically closer in time. That really doesn't matter. You're right your number Is closer by a couple days than mine. Who cares.

Who cares? You did, circa a few posts ago. You can't argue semantics, then say that's not the argument when called out on it

My point Is we should know a lot more about this game than we do considering it's allegedly coming out in a couple of months.

So you want them to show off every level before release? If it's a standard Star Fox game, they've already shown almost half of it off, based off level counts

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
What type of motion control is there on the Wii U gamepad outside of a gyroscope?
Besides the Wii Backwards Compatibility? I'm not sure because I gladly gave away my Wii U in 2012 after I was done with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate since I couldn't stand the tablet controller or the badly performing OS.

I will tell you thou I would take a rebranded Wii U Pro Controller on the NX over having to deal with the Wii's Waggle controller or the Wii U's Brick controller again.

Won't it just be nice to play a new Star Fox game on home console? It's sometimes nice to go into games without knowing every nook and cranny.

Green Yoshi

Starfox would make perfect sense with the pointer function of the Wii Remote. But on the WiiU gamepad with two screens? Give me a break.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Take it with a grain of salt, but my cat just told me you'll have to insert the whole gamepad into your butt (yep, the gamepad. No wiimote support) and shake it to the beat of the music to control your arwing.

How out of touch can Nintendo be?!

Starfox would make perfect sense with the pointer function of the Wii Remote. But on the WiiU gamepad with two screens? Give me a break.

My only Star Fox experience is with Star Fox 3DS and SF Command on the DS (via Wii U Virtual Console.) As much as I do like Command with the stylus controls (practically a pointer), it's very different to SF3DS in game feel be it classic control or gyro. Again, pointer is cool as hell, many I'm sure would dig Kid Icarus on Wii U with that control option. Anyway, I'll say that would be a neat option, but wouldn't the sense of a flight sim be lost and become more of a light-gun game? At least, I lost that flight sim sense with SF Command...

I have such a bad feeling about this game and it breaks my heart. I'm really hoping Platinum can pull it together because we're long overdue for a good star fox game.

This thread, on the other hand, is simply obnoxious. Motion control haters are so tiresome. Look at Splatoon: when that game first dropped, many were declaring--most with no basis other than a half-hearted attempt in the introductory section of the game--that motion was terrible and that sticks were the clearly superior option (sans aim-assist, no less).

Flash forward to today, and most skilled players use motion. Yet, you still get incredulous people saying "well, that's impossible," as if their personal preference were some immutable law of nature.

The hate is so bad, many people who have tried and liked the Splatoon motion controls don't even call a spade a spade--even though you literally move the pad to control the cursor (in concert with the sticks granted). No, they're "gyro controls" instead. Totally different. Ditto for VR controls. Give me a break.

What's frustrating is that if Star Fox turns out to be bad, folks will blame the motion controls without ever inquiring whether their actual implementation was good or bad. It'll just be another case of "lol motion controls." And that would be a shame, because if Zero controlled like Splatoon, people (including the dev team, apparently) wouldn't be freaking out so much over this right now.

If the game sucks, my money is on the whole cockpit conceit mucking things up. Splitting your attention between two screens in a fast-paced space shooter just seems like a clumsy idea.

I have such a bad feeling about this game and it breaks my heart. I'm really hoping Platinum can pull it together because we're long overdue for a good star fox game.

This thread, on the other hand, is simply obnoxious. Motion control haters are so tiresome. Look at Splatoon: when that game first dropped, many were declaring--most with no basis other than a half-hearted attempt in the introductory section of the game--that motion was terrible and that sticks were the clearly superior option (sans aim-assist, no less).

Flash forward to today, and most skilled players use motion. Yet, you still get incredulous people saying "well, that's impossible," as if their personal preference were some immutable law of nature.

The hate is so bad, many people who have tried and liked the Splatoon motion controls don't even call a spade a spade--even though you literally move the pad to control the cursor (in concert with the sticks granted). No, they're "gyro controls" instead. Totally different. Ditto for VR controls. Give me a break.

What's frustrating is that if Star Fox turns out to be bad, folks will blame the motion controls without ever inquiring whether their actual implementation was good or bad. It'll just be another case of "lol motion controls." And that would be a shame, because if Zero controlled like Splatoon, people (including the dev team, apparently) wouldn't be freaking out so much over this right now.

If the game sucks, my money is on the whole cockpit conceit mucking things up. Splitting your attention between two screens in a fast-paced space shooter just seems like a clumsy idea.

Interesting, I don't have a bad feeling about the game, just the reception.

I understand where you're coming from regarding motion control hate. For Star Fox though, I also understand where the hate comes from... It's like one more obstacle to like something that is already disliked for whatever reason.

I don't get the feeling that the dev team is freaking out (people for sure though), when I read that they are doubling down on motion controls. I read it as meaning that they're pretty confident in it, now it's just a question how to convince the preemptive objection to them.
The article reads "it's not all cat treats and scratching posts" with the game. It comes across not like there's a problems in dev land, but a problem in that "My owner dug those controls, but seems like most people disagreed with him (like I often do)." You know, the fact that there is even motion controls is the real problem.

GrandiaX

Banned
Poor Star Fox and Metroid. Killing each franchise slowly. Nice job Nintendo. These franchises need new developers and a complete overhaul. Unfortunately it will never happen.

Interesting, I don't have a bad feeling about the game, just the reception.

I understand where you're coming from regarding motion control hate. For Star Fox though, I also understand where the hate comes from... It's like one more obstacle to like something that is already disliked for whatever reason.

I don't get the feeling that the dev team is freaking out (people for sure though), when I read that they are doubling down on motion controls. I read it as meaning that they're pretty confident in it, now it's just a question how to convince the preemptive objection to them.
The article reads "it's not all cat treats and scratching posts" with the game. It comes across not like there's a problems in dev land, but a problem in that "My owner dug those controls, but seems like most people disagreed with him (like I often do)." You know, the fact that there is even motion controls is the real problem.

I hope you're right. That whole cat conceit is bizarre, btw. I guess I was more concerned by Shocking Alberto's comment in the OP. Does he have insider knowledge?

I can see how how long-suffering star fox fans would be frustrated by the inclusion of a controversial control scheme. All they've been asking for is a classic return to form, after all. It's understandable. I guess I was teeing off on the wider issue of motion control hatred. Some folks genuinely seem to think that motion controls are inherently evil or something.

Simbabbad

I love how some people freak out at any rumour, or rush to spout negativity, when Nintendo has basically never released a game with bad controls.

I'm very much anticipating this game, BTW, precisely because of how original it looks.

I hope you're right. That whole cat conceit is bizarre, btw. I guess I was more concerned by Shocking Alberto's comment in the OP. Does he have insider knowledge?

I can see how how long-suffering star fox fans would be frustrated by the inclusion of a controversial control scheme. All they've been asking for is a classic return to form, after all. It's understandable. I guess I was teeing off on the wider issue of motion control hatred. Some folks genuinely seem to think that motion controls are inherently evil or something.

Ah, I just read up on what he posted. He also says that what he says is not thread worthy (in a later post). Wouldn't you like to know his sources? My first thought is someone(s) in QA, but my first thought probably means nothing. I mean, as you've read so far in this (and other threads) about motion control: Some will yell broken. Others will sing praises.

EDIT: Regarding a classic return, how far off will Star Fox 0 be once the player selects the "not motion control" option?

As long as alternate control schemes are available, I don't see what the issue is.

Motion controls are the least of this game's problems, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom