• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWReport rumor: Nintendo "doubled down" on motion controls for Star Fox Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

Both Project Robot and Project Guard were listed as individual TBA releases in the earnings report/investor meeting. Speculating this is what the "doubling down" comment means is just that: pure speculation.

The thread is about a rumor from a well-respected Nintendo website, so I don't see what's wrong with speculating on another site's speculation?

- We already know that Platinum is involved with Project Guard. That's been confirmed.
- We haven't heard anything about Project Guard and Project Robot since E3 2014.
- In an interview with GameSpot, Shigeru Miyamoto hinted that both Project Guard and Project Giant Robot might be connected to Star Fox for Wii U in some fashion.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-connecting-star-fox-on-wii-u-with-project-guard-and-project-giant-robot/1100-6420390/

Nintendo is showing off Star Fox, which Justin Haywald has already played, and two other tech demos, titled Project Giant Robot and Project Guard. But the robots in Project Guard look like the same as the one in the Star Fox demo. Is there a connection between all three? Are these two tech demos indicative of what might appear in the new Star Fox? "You noticed something very nice there," said Miyamoto to GameSpot when quizzed on the similarities.

"Today, I'm only answering questions about the Star Fox games. But, there will be multiple different kinds of missions in the Star Fox games, so maybe something like that could appear. And I think the robot that came down from the helicopter is the same robot that you were shooting in the security game."

TDLink

The funny thing is, Star Fox 64 had a stealth section on Zoness... and it kept the original gameplay and was still fast paced.

Yeah, and it worked great. There was no need to slow it down or change it up. They managed to make an idea of a stealth level work within the existing gameplay.

Well, they've never been afraid to mix it up with star fox. The stealth level didn't bad to me personally, but it's a matter of taste.
But since only having the arwing, they've added:
- Full Range Arwing Mode (no longer on rails)
- LandMaster
- Submarine
- Chicken Walker
- and now the motion control stuff.

A lot of these probably weren't met with inital praise, or praise at all, but it can't be denied there's a precedent of chaning the gameplay formula

I'd argue all of those are weaker than the normal on rails Arwing gameplay. That said, at least the Landmaster and Blue Marine levels were still on rails and otherwise normal, just different vehicles. And the all range Arwing stuff was different and not as good, but still worked because they kept up the frantic pace and mostly reserved it for certain boss battles rather than entire levels (although there were a few).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This is seeming more and more like a skip for me.

I was kind of lukewarm on it anyway. I loved Star Fox and Star Fox 64 back in the day, but have barely played SF 64 3D and the genre in general doesn't do much for me.

Add in my general dislike of motion controls, and goal of using this year to eliminate the modest backlog I have, and I'm seeing little reason to bother.

Mory Dunz

If it does happen, that's how they'll do it. Worked for GTA it'll work for Zelda.

yea.
It's still crazy to me that people bought FFX/2 HD for both PS3 and later for PS4. Unless there's some big changes I'm missing.

Goes to show that this stuff works....hence every company is doing it...

TunaLover

The motion controls would be optional but they will hamper the whole gameplay, like doing the game slow paced in order to not get the player dissoriented with cockpit view. Some times I really whish Miyamoto step aside.

hatchx

Banned
I'm fairly disappointed in everything I've seen/heard about Star Fox Zero so far, and I was the one who made this giant speculation thread about it pre-e3.

I guess the on-rails levels they demo'd look pretty fun, and are atleast going to have some Nintendo polish and an interesting control interface, even if it ends up being a bit obtuse.

If they were smart, and wanted to relinquish Star Fox Zero after the bad e3 showing and delay, they should have done the following:

-double down on the classic, on-rails style levels. If they had 6 ready for release, maybe try to get 8. Polish them.
-Make all the slow-paced stealth missions, which look terrible, as optional 'Slippy' Missions. Polish them up.
-Add project Robot and project Guard to Star Fox Zero, give them some Star Fox branding and polish them.
-Maybe make a hard mode, or refit the 6-8 on-rails levels for co-op and make them extra challenging.
-try, as much as they can, to add some sort of online dogfight.
-promise 2 more DLC levels through-out 2016, or something

At the very least, they are releasing in April which was a pretty significant 6 month delay. It means they see something in the project. I still have hopes this extra time will lead to a re-reveal and people will see the light. Who knows.

gafneo

Banned
It really makes me sick reading these complaints about motion controls. They are a selling point you numskulls.

Diffense

what if I told you that some people don't like motion controls and that's why they're complaining?

I don't like analogue sticks. I want to play Star Fox with a d-pad. That's how the first Star Fox worked. Why change? Stupid Nintendo.

imBask

Banned
What if I told you that people bought the wrong console if they hate motion controls.

Bayonetta, Mario 3d World, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Smash, Mario Maker and many other don't force you to use motion controls and are pretty damn good. This console is not centered around motion controls anymore, it's centered around the stupid gamepad which is another problem entirely

gafneo

Banned
Bayonetta, Mario 3d World, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Smash and many other don't force you to use motion controls and are pretty damn good. This control is not centered around motion controls anymore

Bayonetta touch controls, Splatoon is motion only. Play Metroid Blast and tell me those controls are crap.

I will say that we've yet to see any sort of tangible product of the 4 month delay, so until I see what it entails, I withhold judgement based on rumors, even from a source on a respected website that is incidentally represented by their cat.

Bayonetta touch controls, Splatoon is motion only. Play Metroid Blast and tell me those controls are crap.

Bayonetta touch controls make the game much easier for my liking, but they are still optional. Splatoon has the option to turn off the motion, but I keep it on for more precise aiming.

And Metroid Blast was good. Don't know what else to tell you.

Bayonetta touch controls aren't mandatory, touch controls aren't motion controls, and Splatoon isn't motion only. Splatoon and the Zelda games are basically the only ones that use motion controls at all. Does TP still use gyro aiming, or did they drop that?

gafneo

Banned
The Wii?

You're including the people who delayed the game in that case, the people making it.

Lol, you buy something called the Wii and are mad over motion support. That's like being mad that the wedding was over in 5 minutes after getting married in Vegas.

imBask

Banned

Splatoon is not motion only this is just wrong and bayonetta can be played with a pro controller. It's an option, that's the big point here

I gave up on Mario Galaxy because of motion controls, and it played a minor part of this otherwise great game, you won't convince me on motion controls.

gafneo

Banned
Bayonetta touch controls aren't mandatory, touch controls aren't motion controls, and Splatoon isn't motion only. Splatoon and the Zelda games are basically the only ones that use motion controls at all. Does TP still use gyro aiming, or did they drop that?

There is no option to turn off gyro in Splatoon. The only other option is to play with Wii motion plus in mp. Bayonetta 2 is better without traditional controls is all I'm saying.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Splatoon is motion only.

No it's not. There's a sticks only option a ton of people use.

I don't really care for it (stick aiming sucks without autoaim), but I don't like the gyro aiming only.

The only reason I bought a Wii U after hating the Wii largely because of motion controls (and lack of HD) was because most games I was interested in just had traditional controls. If it was largely motion focused again, I wouldn't have given it a second glance as I really only like traditional controls and would go retro games only if they ever go away (or just quit gaming entirely).

imBask

Banned
There is no option to turn off gyro in Splatoon. The only other option is to play with Wii motion plus in mp. Bayonetta 2 is better without traditional controls is all I'm saying.

yes there is, what are you saying lol, turning it off is literally the first thing I did after completing the tutorial

Yeah just. Just keep shouting that thing every one of us refutes, man. That'll do you good.

gafneo

Banned
Splatoon is not motion only this is just wrong and bayonetta can be played with a pro controller. It's an option, that's the big point here

I gave up on Mario Galaxy because of motion controls, and it played a minor part of this otherwise great game, you won't convince me on motion controls.

You gave up on Mario Galaxy because you are spoiled. Those waggles are so minor that the laziest human alive can pull them off with no experience of exercise whatsoever.

There is an option to turn of gyro in Splatoon. You can aim with dual sticks. What is happening here lol

Is this performance art?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Maybe try doing research before you spout shit like a jackass.

I play Splatoon without ever moving my GamePad. I'm fairly sure Star Fox will be the same.

Mael

This isn't really what I'm saying. Maybe Miyamoto didn't have anything to do with Other M, but the line of thinking is the same. "We can't just make 2D metroid. We can't just make Prime Metroid. We need to do something different". That line of thinking is great in commonly released franchises like Mario and Zelda. It keeps them from getting stale. It's not as welcome in series like Metroid and Star Fox that go through long droughts. People wait a long time for a new game and then it's some experiment with the skin of the series they loved instead of actually being like it. That is disappointing.

Your point about "we need to do something new" is probably a mantra from all the old heads of Nintendo (which is probably why they try to make the games but different each time).
Still for Metroid, he's not the one deciding for 2D Metroid (that's Sakamoto) or Metroid Prime (that's Tanabe).
He has no input on it and I'd say he already have his hands full without having to oversee Tanabe overseeing Metroid Prime games.
There's such a thing as delegating decisions.
You might as well blame the CEO for bugs going past the QA.

Costner-18-ManOfSteel.jpg

Mit-

I say you're not only wrong but that's a terrible business decision.
Off topic but I have no idea how putting the new Zelda on NX is a bad decision in any way. Twilight Princess sold tons of Wiis and did at least 4x better than the GameCube version. Putting it out on Wii U while the NX launches, and not putting it on NX, would be an awful business decision.

Star Fox Zero probably can't do that, because the Wii U GamePad is being so heavily integrated into the fundamental controls of the game (unless of course the NX has similar capabilities). They need to release ASAP before Wii U is dead.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If nothing else, Nintendo threads on Gaf are useful for finding people who need to go on the ignore list ASAP.

gafneo

Banned
yes there is, what are you saying lol, turning it off is literally the first thing I did after completing the tutorial

Maybe there was an update. Turn them back on. You are ruining the game. Also, if people are that stubborn. There is always an update to change controls.

Diffense

Sorry guys. Motion controls are here to stay. With smartphones coming equipped with gyros and VR controllers like the Vive's extending your hand in the virtual space it's only going to become more pervasive.

I don't think tiltling a controller to aim is anything to "not like". It's an incredibly natural movement, more so than manipulating a stick with your thumb only. The only time I do the latter is when I'm playing games whereas I'm moving objects I'm holding with both hands literally all the time.

If nothing else, Nintendo threads on Gaf are useful for finding people who need to go on the ignore list ASAP.
Hey, don't be hasty. This is entertaining!

Sorry guys. Motion controls are here to stay. With smartphones coming equipped with gyros and VR controllers like the Vive's extending your hand in the virtual space it's only going to become more pervasive.

I don't think tiltling a controller to aim is anything to "not like". It's an incredibly natural movement, more so than manipulating a stick with your thumb only. The only time I do the latter is when I'm playing games whereas I'm moving objects I'm holding with both hands literally all the time.
I have to sit uncomfortably to play them though. It works better with smart phones because you move the whole screen with you. And more smart phone games don't really use motion controls because it's not very intuitive.

imBask

Banned
You gave up on Mario Galaxy because you are spoiled. Those waggles are so minor that the laziest human alive can pull them off with no experience of exercise whatsoever.

It ruined the game. It has nothing to do with laziness, I hate the wiimotes with a burning passion

anyway you're clearly trolling why am I even responding

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I refuse to play games where I have to use my hands. They're for babies.

What was it about the controls in Galaxy that made you give up? Such a great game and the controls aren't that intrusive fom a waggle perspective.

gafneo

Banned
Maybe try doing research before you spout shit like a jackass.

I play Splatoon without ever moving my GamePad. I'm fairly sure Star Fox will be the same.

Or maybe I don't play Splatoon everyday or obsessing over motion hatred negativity to give a damn jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom