• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWReport rumor: Nintendo "doubled down" on motion controls for Star Fox Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there was an update. Turn them back on. You are ruining the game. Also, if people are that stubborn. There is always an update to change controls.
It's been there since day 1 haha

I bought it on launch day and stopped after a week, I never used motion controls.

imBask

Banned
What was it about the controls in Galaxy that made you give up? Such a great game and the controls aren't that intrusive fom a waggle perspective.

a little was too much for me, I just can't stand it at all, like 0

also the non-HD didn't help with that game, the Wii was just a huge mess to me

gafneo

Banned
It ruined the game. It has nothing to do with laziness, I hate the wiimotes with a burning passion

anyway you're clearly trolling why am I even responding

I'm not seeing your point. There is a lot of people who like motion. Maybe more or less than traditional. Who knows. Should a fan of motion cry that everything is traditional?

You are going to be the biggest outsider when VR takes over.

Nah mate, Vr is only motion. Maybe they added an update for analog do turn that back on. If you're doing motion only you're actively ruining the game yeah.

Like who fucking knows I don't play vr every day.

gafneo

Banned
It's been there since day 1 haha

I bought it on launch day and stopped after a week, I never used motion controls.

Why not try them? Have an open mind. Should everyone give up on guitars the first time they pick one up and don't play like Hendrix?

Foffy

Banned
So, is the game full blown motion controls? Like, you don't use the analog sticks for moving and aiming?

I can see how this can be a disaster. I also imagine a Codename S.T.E.A.M. kind of "apology patch" to such glaring design issues. And like for that game, it will be too late.

Mentok

Banned
There is no option to turn off gyro in Splatoon. The only other option is to play with Wii motion plus in mp. Bayonetta 2 is better without traditional controls is all I'm saying.

Mfw+my+name+have+some+blue+in+it+now+i+m_4550ca_5446923.gif

Bayo 2 is amazing with traditional controls....and as others have said, you can turn gyro off in Splatoon.

So, is the game full blown motion controls? Like, you don't use the analog sticks for moving and aiming?

I can see how this can be a disaster. I also imagine a Codename S.T.E.A.M. kind of "apology patch" to such glaring design issues. And like for that game, it will be too late.

The last time we saw footage, moving was still analog while the AIMING could be used with gyro or optional right analog.

gafneo

Banned
i'm not excited about VR gaming at all. VR movies or experiences or whatever they are could be cool, that i'm into

Let me ask you this. Why are you so afraid of motion? You scarred for life after breaking a TV while playing Just Dance?

Foffy

Banned
The last time we saw footage, moving was still analog while the AIMING could be used with gyro or optional right analog.

...You can't aim when you move the ship like in other games? The stick would normally move the ship and the crosshair.

Have they separated these two mechanics, so the stick moves and the aiming crosshair requires an entirely different action?

CrisKre

I absolutely LOVED what I played at E3. I spent quite some time with it to be sure, but it felt like controlling remote-controlled toys, and played unlike any other game. Im not worried at all and will sure love the final product.

Day 1.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
...You can't aim when you move the ship like in other games? The stick would normally move the ship and the crosshair.

Have they separated these two mechanics, so the stick moves and the aiming crosshair requires an entirely different action?

Yeah. Think Sin and Punishment 2.

It seems only for the motion controls. The control-stick works just like it has in past games

Yeah. Think Sin and Punishment 2.

I don't think that's right--that's only for motion controls, since we know the Right-Stick is for boosting and whatnot.

Off topic but I have no idea how putting the new Zelda on NX is a bad decision in any way. Twilight Princess sold tons of Wiis and did at least 4x better than the GameCube version. Putting it out on Wii U while the NX launches, and not putting it on NX, would be an awful business decision.

Star Fox Zero probably can't do that, because the Wii U GamePad is being so heavily integrated into the fundamental controls of the game (unless of course the NX has similar capabilities). They need to release ASAP before Wii U is dead.

Well the difference between Twilight Princess and the upcoming Zelda game is that there was already an exclusive Zelda game on the Gamecube, Wind Waker. Plus the Wii was an enhanced version of the Gamecube anyway so porting was easy. Deriving the Wii U of its sole Zelda game would probably cause mistrust in Nintendo in Wii U owners which is an audience they need. Zelda U is pretty much guaranteed to sell a bunch and get a big marketing campaign anyway. Sales shouldn't be a problem but they need to do so in a way that satisfies current Wii U owners so they don't feel abandoned. Plus, it's pretty much a given the NX is going to use an ARM chip over Power PC so porting isn't going to be as easy. If they do port Zelda to the NX it's going to be later.

Have you not looked at Star Fox Zero for literally a year?

TDLink

There is no option to turn off gyro in Splatoon. The only other option is to play with Wii motion plus in mp. Bayonetta 2 is better without traditional controls is all I'm saying.

What even is this post...Everyone is focusing on your Splatoon comment (which is wrong) but the other part is far more egregious. Bayo 2 better without traditional controls?! What? The whole point is it's a combo heavy third person action game.

I can't.

Have you not looked at Star Fox Zero for literally a year?

To be fair, they've shown essentially nothing new since the E3 reveal. That's really bad and telling if the game is two months away

imBask

Banned
Let me ask you this? Why are you so afraid of motion? You scarred for life after breaking a TV playing Just Dance?

why do you keep projecting these ideas? I don't like it. They're not fun to me, that's it. It has nothing to do with laziness or being afraid of anything, I just want a physical feedback of what i'm doing otherwise I don't find it enjoyable, you seem to have a hard time understanding that different people love different things

VR Gaming looks terrible to me, not only will I have no physical feedback, but i'll have a fake visual feedback too. AND, VR gaming still has a huge motion sickness problem, getting sick is not something i'm interested in when i'm gaming

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I initially played Splatoon without motion control because they didn't "click" right away. What a mistake that was. I can't imagine anyone behind that great online with only stick aiming.

I initially played Splatoon without motion control because they didn't "click" right away. What a mistake that was. I can't imagine anyone behind that great online with only stick aiming.

I was only ever used to mouse aiming so gyro is literally the next best thing to that kind of precision for me.

TDLink

Apparently. And this is my primary issue. I hope they have the option at least to not have them separate.

watershed

Banned
I think it became clear that the game had issues when we all saw that players were expected to look at the gamepad to aim while also looking at the tv to navigate and use a combination of motion controls and analog sticks to do both. I haven't played it, but from other's hands on videos and write-ups it seems like the game is just asking players to do too much all at once and it gets jumbled and simply isn't very fun.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So they should focus on the Wii U version now and an NX version later.

Only if they have another killer app for NX launch.

That thing needs to sell well out of the gate (especially the console version) or they're in deep shit.

Core gamers have left in droves, and anyone into games at all will be skeptical of early adopting a new Nintendo console after how bad the Wii U failed in sales and appealing to people outside of Nintendo diehards.

Mory Dunz

I absolutely LOVED what I played at E3. I spent quite some time with it to be sure, but it felt like controlling remote-controlled toys, and played unlike any other game. Im not worried at all and will sure love the final product.

Day 1.

Did that include any of the:
- stealth part
- chicken walker
- Landmaster
- free range flying

Well, I'm 99% sure it included the free range flying, but what about the rest? I mean, if there's someone who's actually played the game here, might as well get impressions. Instead of having decade old arguments.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
...Ew. It worked there because of the Wii Remote. That's totally missing, here.

Have you tried Splatoon? It requires some adaptation time but once it clicks, it's glorious.

The only major difference with S&P2 is that the controller isn't split in two. You'll get used to gyro aiming with the gamepad, I can assure you.

Mit-

So they should focus on the Wii U version now and an NX version later.

I have a feeling they aren't thinking like that unfortunately, especially given the lack of success on the platform. I wouldn't be surprised if, similar to Twilight Princess, the game gets put off until they get an NX port ready, and then simultaneously launched on both platforms (in order to sell more NX consoles).

Also, while Wii U first and NX later might seem like it'll sell more total copies of the game due to double-dipping, I imagine selling more NX consoles is a hell of a lot more important to them than potentially getting their customers to double dip on a game (which, is pretty shitty too).

I think how quiet and vague they've been about the game, despite announcing it so long ago, is evidence they'll be putting its release off until NX is out.

gafneo

Banned
why do you keep projecting these ideas? I don't like it. They're not fun to me, that's it. It has nothing to do with laziness or being afraid of anything, I just want a physical feedback of what i'm doing otherwise I don't find it enjoyable, you seem to have a hard time understanding that different people love different things

VR Gaming looks terrible to me, not only will I have no physical feedback, but i'll have a fake visual feedback too. AND, VR gaming still has a huge motion sickness problem, getting sick is not something i'm interested in when i'm gaming

If you are going to not buy Star Fox over motion, that's ridiculous to me. I was just wondering where the hate is coming from. There has to be a reason for it. When dual analogue was introduced, were you mad? Do you tend to hate innovation? Did you hate the idea of off TV mode for Wii U?

Mory Dunz

Or why not both if they're able to? We have no idea how close to completion it is, and whether an NX version would impact the Wii U one in any way

I think NX console is coming in 2017, so I could see Zelda coming out in 2016 on Wii U and then on NX sometime in 2017. Maybe launch, maybe later. 3D Mario could be the launch title in 2017.

Personally, if they came out within a month of each other, I wouldn't double dip at all.. But If Zelda NX came out months later with better gfx and a update or two, I might/likely. That's why I think its the best business decision.

I have a feeling they aren't thinking like that unfortunately, especially given the lack of success on the platform. I wouldn't be surprised if, similar to Twilight Princess, the game gets put off until they get an NX port ready, and then simultaneously launched on both platforms (in order to sell more NX consoles).

How many times does Nintendo need to reconfirm Zelda Wii U for 2016 before people will believe them?

CrisKre

Did that include any of the:
- stealth part
- chicken walker
- Landmaster
- free range flying

Well, I'm 99% sure it included the free range flying, but what about the rest? I mean, if there's someone who's actually played the game here, might as well get impressions. Instead of having decade old arguments.

It included the

- Landmaster
- free range flying

I also saw played really closely the other 2, which wherent available to the public but played by reps.

The thing i liked, and something people seem to be missing, is the cockpit view on the gamepad is more of a last resort when killing enemies (to aim more accurately), relegated to specific areas (boss fights), or a means to unlock secrets also in specific and less busy sections of levels. Once you know WHEN to switch (and i felt the game had good pacing switches to indicate this), it becomes very satisfying and unique.

Calvero

Banned

oh come on. wrong wrong wrong. have you never been in the options menu before?

edit: oh god i didn't even notice the rest of the post. and your others after. you must be joking.

Mory Dunz

It included the

- Landmaster
- free range flying

I also saw played really closely the other 2, which wherent available to the public but played by reps.

cool, what'd you think of the "non-traditional" gameplay in particular?
(Free range probably counts as traditional at this point. But now with the new double aiming)

imBask

Banned
If you are going to not buy Star Fox over motion, that's ridiculous to me. I was just wondering where the hate is coming from. There has to be a reason for it. When dual analogue was introduced, were you mad? Do you tend to hate innovation? Did you hate the idea of off TV mode for Wii U?

Dual analogues are dope, I like innovation, I even bought a Steam Controller!

The tablet is a weird idea but games like Mario Maker work incredibly well on it, the only thing I hate is how terrible the hardware is. The screen is bad, the battery is incredibly bad, etc.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe. of course I won't buy Star Fox if it's motion controls only, there's no way in hell i'm wasting money on that thing

Pizza

Should have been like splatoon with a map on the gamepad.

Or, you know, make it utilize the control sticks built into the pieces of plastic the console is shipped with.

Nah fuck it lets just replace the main controller with an iPad, that'd be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom