• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinz

knZAB3a.png

Good luck with this in your pocket!

just wait till you see the codpiece storage accessory.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
I think people need to get this negative preconception of a 'gimmick' being a bad and unnecessary thing out of their heads.

The definition of a gimmick is "a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business."

While this isn't necessarily bad for a one time thing to garner attention. But when the basis of your hardware is designed around it... then it is bad.

Peterc

Wow, you personally lost all credibility when you said VR is a gimmick.

Lol, yes, why isn't it a gimmick?
Why should the wii would be a gimmick?

You lost me there.

VR doesn't work for FPS games, i know I've a dk2 for 2 years already, and you?

VR can be a nice gimmick, that work for PC, but sure not for a gaming console.

And yes its a gimmick like everything else.
Can you live without it? yes

Is it for some games better? Yes

The same points fit also for wii motion, that why it will be used for 80% of VR games in the future.

You personally lost all credibility

Dear Nintendo:

Please keep being experimental when it comes to software. But give us a normal #%@$ing controller to use. They work. They work really well. Enough with the gimmicky bs.

PS - Make a new God damn Waverace.

How are you getting non-gamers on board with Gamepad 2.0 ? They didn't wanted the Gamepad, they won't want that because there's no physical but virtual butons.

Yeah, if this is real it will be dead on arrival. I really hope it's fake, otherwise Nintendo clearly has no idea what they're doing.

grebby

Assuming this is all legit of course. But man, this isn't the way. I get that Nintendo hasn't been trying to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft for a while now but this really isn't the direction they should be heading. I think this controller looks terrible, there's no way around it. From a design standpoint it looks like a complete mess.

The odds of Nintendo capturing the casual market again in the age of smartphones is incredibly small, so at what point did Nintendo think yes, let's remove just about every button from the controller and have input primarily be touch? And no, I seriously, seriously doubt Nintendo has some haptic feedback secret sauce. Nintendo has been doing these pretty wacky ideas for a while now, but I've always been able to get behind them in some way. The DS, Wii and even Wii U you could recognise that ok, that does look like something that could be interesting.

None of this looks interesting to me at all. Obviously there's no buttons, but even the screen just seems poorly designed and thought out. Sure, the technology is cool to have these unconventional physical forms for a screen but it's not practical at all when the left and right sides will always be covered with your hands. Hand sizes vary, so how are developers supposed to design their games to ensure that no vital information is obscured because of someone's hand? Just seems like they're creating these problems when they really don't need to. Also the screen is stretched far too wide with not enough height, I just don't see how that display would be adequate for gaming.

Removing buttons and having an oval shaped display just screams gimmick, I would really love for Nintendo to prove me wrong. But I can't help but feel concerned because of how Nintendo utilised the Wii U's controller during its life. I guess we shall find out what they're really up to in the coming months.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Lol, yes, why isn't it a gimmick?
Why should the wii would be a gimmick?

You lost me there.

VR doesn't work for FPS games, i know I've a dk2 for 2 years already, and you?

VR can be a nice gimmick, that work for PC, but sure not for a gaming console.

And yes its a gimmick like everything else.
Can you live without it? yes

Is it for some games better? Yes

The same points fit also for wii motion, that why it will be used for 80% of VR games in the future.

You personally lost all credibility

This is such an incoherent and disjointed stream of consciousness.

bart64

Banned
I was convinced earlier but now switching to #teamfake:

--I've never seen a product, even a prototype, match a patent application so closely.
--There is some evidence of 3D printing on the left stick.
--The sticks look uncomfortable--actually, the whole thing looks painful to hold.
--How the hell are ports going to work with a screen that is so narrow?

Big One

Banned
I actually love the concept of having a mini-tablet screen covering the controller's front. If anyone can do it and it be comfortable, it's NIntendo.

However I'm not a fan of a lack of buttons. There needs to be both here. Basic buttons with a touchscreen surrounding them would be sick.

How are you getting non-gamers on board with Gamepad 2.0 ? They didn't wanted the Gamepad, they won't want that because there's no physical but virtual butons.
Not really. They will like that they can see what touching something does. Wii worked out because you just had to flick to do something. Non-gamers do not want to memorize A is Jump, B is duck, etc.
Pretty much NX is Wii 2.0. Wii U was GameCube 2.0.

Kssio_Aug

It has to be fake.

Its like getting the Wii U gamepad, making it oval, taking off face buttons, add uncessary screen space wich will be covered by your fingers. Its like going all the way backwards.

An oval screen doesn't even makes sense... I imagine, by all the concepts, that the same image running on the controller could be streammed on the TV, wich is widescreen.

I think his point is that saying motion controllers were a gimmick and VR isn't is hypocritical, especially when the same arguments can be made for both (not perfect in its first implementation, not suitable/ideal for certain types of games, etc). I think

Apt101

I'll withhold final judgement until I've had a chance to see how it works. But man. The idea of using quasi tablet-game controls is not something I am interested in at all.

I hope some kind of classic controller is also available at launch. Maybe a cheaper SKU without that thing.

-Horizon-

The definition of a gimmick is "a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business."

While this isn't necessarily bad for a one time thing to garner attention. But when the basis of your hardware is designed around it... then it is bad.

And this is also a definition:
an ingenious or novel mechanical device

spekkeh

Banned
Redefines the input space. Touchscreen buttons.

Where the fuck have you been the last decade.
I must have missed the consoles with only two thumbsticks and scrollwheels as input.

Having a tablet with buttons for a controller was playing it too safe?
Yes the Wii u is 'just' a Nintendo DS, which was nine years old by that point. The asymmetric gameplay (as main console gimmick), was relatively novel but ended up mostly unused.

How do you know?

Too small and impractical. 5 to 6 face buttons require bigger buttons to be effective. See any fight pad or Megadrive controller. Not only this thing is rather small, but the stick is right on the middle which means 6 buttons even at small size would reach the middle of the controller... which is terrible to use.

Also, good luck having on decent dpad on that thing.

Yes the Wii u is 'just' a Nintendo DS, which was nine years old by that point. The asymmetric gameplay (as main console gimmick), was relatively novel but ended up mostly unused.
Wii U Gamepad was pretty much the Pro Controller with a screen and terrible battery. The most safe thing ever.

Peterc

No, it are just facts. Like you can call the wiiu gamepad a gimmick.
But it could be used for allot games that will be better then using a traditional controller. (rts games for example)

The same goes when playing FPS.
Keyboard+mouse > traditional controller.

I believe that each control has their purpose, some are better for specific games than others.

Not really. They will like that they can see what touching something does. Wii worked out because you just had to flick to do something. Non-gamers do not want to memorize A is Jump, B is duck, etc.
Pretty much NX is Wii 2.0. Wii U was GameCube 2.0.

Wii worked out because the movement made sense. NX is still a controller, which requires you to press an input. NX = Wii U 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom