• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzicfreq

Banned
If Nintendo is serious about this, then they need to be on their A game at launch. They need a launch title on par with Wii Sports and Twilight Princess that makes this look easy and fun to use.

That's the only way they could make this work, if this isn't a doctored hoax. If they can't make this enticing in 30 seconds, this is so sunk.
But we need this again
Cqn35WO.gif

Why doesn't any picture show the backside where the cable plugged in on the white model? Why would that cable be so massive?

Why would the IR transmitter (I'm assuming that's what it's supposed to be, given its similarity to the one on the Gamepad) be on the bottomn, where it can't hit shit?

Anarky

Banned
Eh, it was fine in the other thread when we were all just speculating and he did the same thing. These NDAs are serious and you have to be careful how you frame your words. This controller has got people here ANGRY and I think it's just silly. It's fekkin' Nintendo.
Takeda straight up said that they were including a novel control method a few months back and folks chose to ignore it, repeating over and over that the only hook would be a shared library. It's willful ignorance.

Link?

If it is real and its this close looking to the patent, then 100% it will have interchangeable face buttons since everything else is based off the patent.

So i'm not to worried about not buttons right now

I'd still worry if I were you. Modular controls were from a different and much older patent.

For those just catching up

• Leaks of the same device a different leaker gave out appeared, black model this time
  • Game Informer states "yep that looks similar to what I heard, not confirming it tho"
  • Treehouse staff retweets this thread
  • A new leaked image appears on the internet, at another angle
  • Treehouse staff deletes tweet mysteriously later
  • Still waiting for a bold back of the unit image
  • TEAMREAL AND TEAMFAKE EMERGE

You sir are the best.

My heart says this is real, but holy shit do I hope its not.

tr00per

The image on the controller, which is at an angle, should also be at an angle. It isn't. It matches the screenshot perfectly.

Oh really? I wasn't following. Damn. It's funny if you think about it because the people at Nintendo who really know what it is are either sweating bullets or laughing hysterically

jblank83

Okay I'm ready to post my conspiracy theory.

Ready? I believe it's fake and the shell is 3D printed fitted with a glossy plastic "Screen".

The nubs don't look like they move at all (paired with a convenient "alibi" by saying "they're not supposed to move"). Also some weird scratches on the thumbstick nub.

ocOQqc8.jpg

Still #TeamReal

Going back to this one more time, look how much of a gap there is between the "screen" and the casing. The edges of the screen even look punched/cut out, ragged. Like it was punched out and just sort of stuck on a cheap plastic model.

Made this:
(thanks whoever made the handles pic)
Here's what I think they could do with this if it's real.
From what I gather, the patent says that the stick can be used a button so make that the main action button and build everything around it.
You can't move the camera and use the face buttons on a normal controller at the same time so you can always rest your thumbs on the analog sticks. Seems like a pretty decent solution.

Neoxon

IMO, this is the next handheld.
Not only would it greatly increase the NX's price, but it would also mean that Nintendo would have no separate handheld on the market. Plus we already know there's another handheld coming thanks to one of our own insiders (Matt, he stated that the handheld's native resolution is "Higher than you expect, lower than you'd hope") & one of Nintendo's investor briefing slides citing the another console & handheld.

trutrutru

People need to relax lol. If this is the controller, then i guarantee they will have an attachment that offers grips and actual buttons. Whether it will come with the console or be sold seperately is another thing. But there will be one. Nintendo have made comments about the need for actual buttons. They got you covered im sure.

Giving us the option of touch only controls could open up some interesting control scheme ideas

MogCakes

Never was confirmed a fake. Also looking at the new images, that screen is amazing, I really doubt it's been printed, the reflections are just too crisp with no waviness

The screen was not printed, it's most likely a laser-cut clear plastic sheet sanded to fit into the mold. While it looks impressive in the photo thanks to the reflection, if you go into any arts and crafts store or a Hobby Lobby and look at the clear plastic sheets, they all reflect light.

Hell, it might not even be clear plastic, but glossy black plastic.

If this is a fake it's a pretty damn good one.

It's not half bad, it fooled me at first. And then I took a closer look at the nub. The ABS threads give it away.

Grief.exe

Valve 3D printed all of their prototypes for the Steam controller, the presence of 3D printing doesn't necessarily mean it is fake.

Vena

Scroll wheels actually are the innovation in here, as opposed to the gimmicky screen. I seriously love this idea. Say this controller have face buttons, dpad, triggers, screen and these wheels... It'd be freakin great. Now that would be Nintendo innovation.

I fully suspect this thing actually does have buttons, just not on the face.

They are just part of a separate unit. This thing is too peculiarly shaped to actually be a stand-alone. Also notice how the only "confirmed" information about no face buttons. Nothing there about "no buttons at all", two very different parallels.

Here is my reasoning:
1.) Its actually really small. Size comparison to the gamepad and apple computer are telling. Its like a very, very streamlined gamepad screen + twin sticks.
2.) Buttons/D-Pad on a handle-like attachment would line up near perfectly like a pro controller with a screen in the middle.
3.) By making the parts detach from one another, you do not run into portrait/landscape design issues in ergonomics or protruding handles.
4.) Sticks + haptic in the base unit works great for certain types of games/gaming design that are touch oriented. (And multi-touch enabled.) Also keeps Miiverse art community alive.

Never was confirmed a fake. Also looking at the new images, that screen is amazing, I really doubt it's been printed, the reflections are just too crisp with no waviness

That means nothing, other than if it is fake, they used different plastic for the screen. It could be real, it could be fake, but if it is fake the fact that it has a glossy "screen" means absolutely nothing. They could 3D print the shell and sticks, and then just cut a glossy sheet of plastic.

Ashodin

Haha so it's still up in the air.

WAIT I MISSED THE TREEHOUSE TWEETING.

Is it possible it's all fake and they're just laughing at us like Retro, but then realized it probably wasn't worth his job to add fuel to the fire...

OR IS IT ALL REAL,

?????????????

CONSPIRACY

Skux

Sign me up to Team Real. Nintendo are both crazy and clueless enough to think this is going to work. They did it with the Wii U and have apparently learned nothing since.

jblank83

Made this:

m0I0mfX.jpg

(thanks whoever made the handles pic)
Here's what I think they could do with this if it's real.
From what I gather, the patent says that the stick can be used a button so make that the main action button and build everything around it.
You can't move the camera and use the face buttons on a normal controller at the same time so you can always rest your thumbs on the analog sticks. Seems like a pretty decent solution.

That's a nice looking mockup, imo.

Parapraxis

Going back to this one more time, look how much of a gap there is between the "screen" and the casing. The edges of the screen even look punched/cut out, even ragged. Like it was punched out and just sort of stuck on a cheap plastic model.

Look at it in the original images, that's not a gap, that's a shadow due to a small bevel which goes around the edge.

cavefishes

Neo Member
Oh I can think of a great use for this in MH, for instance:

Camera+Movement, dual control sticks.
Dodge -> click stick 1 or 2.
Inventory cycling -> moved to scroll wheel 1.
Inventory use -> click 1.
Weapon stance swaps -> moved to scroll wheel 2.
Weapon use -> click 2.
Target or target select, touch (as on MH4U).
That doesn't really make sense. MH games are already struggling for buttons, with many commands mapped to button combinations (two attack buttons at once, shoulder + face button. IIRC some weapons have a function triggered by pressing a shoulder button and two face buttons at the same time). Face buttons sheathe weapons, perform light and heavy attacks, cycle through coatings and inventory, and dodge. Many of those buttons do different things depending on the weapon and if L or R is held. I don't see how you can replace such a complex control system on a platform with objectively less buttons. The only benefit is having two sticks, which is already possible with the CPP or the n3DS.

If anything it would make the current control scheme even more obtuse and hard to learn than it already is, which will make it much harder for new users to pick up.

Vena

That doesn't really make sense. MH games are already struggling for buttons, with many commands mapped to button combinations (two attack buttons at once, shoulder + face button. IIRC some weapons have a function triggered by pressing a shoulder button and two face buttons at the same time). Face buttons sheathe weapons, perform light and heavy attacks, cycle through coatings and inventory, and dodge. Many of those buttons do different things depending on the weapon and if L or R is held. I don't see how you can replace such a complex control system on a platform with objectively less buttons. The only benefit is having two sticks, which is already possible with the CPP or the n3DS.

If anything it would make the current control scheme even more obtuse and hard to learn than it already is, which will make it much harder for new users to pick up.

Hence removing all of these button prompts with scrolling wheels. I know how MH works, that was simply some on the spot remapping that seemed logical.

Sitting down and actually designing things would probably produce a more logical configuration even with what little we currently know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom