• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Excellent, now we're at "Yes, but what if HOLOGRAMS?!" bargaining.

I don't see Nintendo continuing their glassesless 3D stuff anymore, especially not on the proprietary oval screen tech which would be like some tripling effect on price.

When I ran a Nintendo fansite over a decade ago I accidentally sparked a hologram rumor that Prnny Arcade picked up. 😅

Who let you out of the junior detention box! Welcome back!

Haha, thanks man.

Who let you out of the junior detention box! Welcome back!

Also can I say how I want the "X" to still be a part of the console name? Cross is perfect to explain portable/console barriers crossing.

I was soooooo hype for Nintendo "Revolution" before they 180'd with "Wii". Greatest let down ever.

I wasn't trying to think up of every possibility on the spot, lol. Strong attack can be both triggers. Sheild can be a click-hold.

To me this sounds neat. /shrug

Still cant run though :")
What about attacks who needs both strong and weak attack at same time to be pressed :")

Really, that's the problem with this controller. Right now, we're all trying to make it work... But at no moment there's a benefit.

always-21.gif

1MVkDw2.png

How could the metal case be printed in 3d?

It seems allot of work to fool people, but you'll never know how far some people can go.

When has a game console EVER had a metal controller? This is made out of plastic just like every single other controller in history. And, being made out of plastic, and the availability of 3D printers, means that it would be relatively easy to just make one of these.

And looking at a patent, making a quick 3D model of an incredibly simple design, and 3D printing it is not a lot of work. If I had a 3D printer in the office and knew how to model something worth a damn I could easily make one of these myself.

OK but the glass and the separate parts look very professionally done.

Plus we've seen a device actually running.
We don't even know that that's glass, it's likely just glossy plastic if it's a fake. Also, we have not seen it running, that picture is a fake.

To be fair Rösti did that to himself with his hexadecimal posts and vague english statements. Comes off as trolling or teasing for attention. Either say it or don't. You're not making it fun by being vague, don't be an IdeaMan.

Eh, it was fine in the other thread when we were all just speculating and he did the same thing. These NDAs are serious and you have to be careful how you frame your words. This controller has got people here ANGRY and I think it's just silly. It's fekkin' Nintendo.
Takeda straight up said that they were including a novel control method a few months back and folks chose to ignore it, repeating over and over that the only hook would be a shared library. It's willful ignorance.

Ashodin

We don't even know that that's glass, it's likely just glossy plastic if it's a fake. Also, we have not seen it running, that picture is a fake.

I'd love to see where it was confirmed fake on the screen. Just because you can match it up doesn't exactly mean it was fake.

Also how the hell is there not a poll on this thread already?

Pachinko

We wont' know one way or another until Nintendo actually reveals the thing once and for all.

For the record , I think it's a real photo of a real device and it may even be the controller for the NX or at least prototype for one. Beyond that , what can really be said ?

I suppose if the final console/handheld/whatever actually does look just like this well... the lack of buttons on the face of the device is a major mistep if you ask me. BUT I can also see how adding too many physical buttons would probably defeat the point of even making a fancy screen based controller like this.

The pessimist in me says that it doesn't really matter what this is because I don't think there's a device idea that nintendo can convince audiences to buy given the existence of regular ass tablets.

Vena

Still cant run though :")
What about attacks who needs both strong and weak attack at same time to be pressed :")

Really, that's the problem with this controller. Right now, we're all trying to make it work... But at no moment there's a benefit.

Other stick for running. You have two clickable sticks, or the sticks can simply detect level of pitch for walk/run like Mario 64.

Honestly, scroll wheels (two of them with clicks no less) sounds like a huge plus to me. It streamlines item/stance/whatever shuffling which is very common in games and usually requires multiple buttons or presses to use.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Funny thing is that Liam might not lie this time, but it can be just damage control from Nintendo dropped via an "insider". Or Liam can lie for attention one more time.

Chiramii

I love these threads! The .gifs and speculation is comedy gold, and people in here never fail to amuse me with their imagination. With that said, I think all this is fake so please hook me up with some #teamNXfake goodness.

At this point I think it's hard to argue this is fake. Feels like wishful thinking -- I imagine most of us don't want Nintendo to go up in flames, because they make great games and we would like them to keep doing that.

But those flames don't look photoshopped to me!

They'll have the next handheld. If it's under the NX Platform or not remains to be seen. Plus there's mobile & Amiibo.
IMO, this is the next handheld.

Parapraxis

I'd love to see where it was confirmed fake on the screen. Just because you can match it up doesn't exactly mean it was fake.

Never was confirmed a fake. Also looking at the new images, that screen is amazing, I really doubt it's been printed, the reflections are just too crisp with no waviness

MogCakes

lmao people act like no one could ever build anything before a 3d printer. if you really think its faked its not necessary to have a 3d printer to build an object that doesnt do anything

It isn't necessary, no, but then cars aren't necessary to get around either. They just make it much more convenient, which is what 3D printers do for mock-ups.

If Nintendo is serious about this, then they need to be on their A game at launch. They need a launch title on par with Wii Sports and Twilight Princess that makes this look easy and fun to use.

That's the only way they could make this work, if this isn't a doctored hoax. If they can't make this enticing in 30 seconds, this is so sunk.

Other stick for running. You have two clickable sticks, or the sticks can simply detect level of pitch for walk/run like Mario 64.

Honestly, scroll wheels (two of them with clicks no less) sounds like a huge plus to me. It streamlines item/stance/whatever shuffling which is very common in games and usually requires multiple buttons or presses to use.

Scroll wheels actually are the innovation in here, as opposed to the gimmicky screen. I seriously love this idea. Say this controller have face buttons, dpad, triggers, screen and these wheels... It'd be freakin great. Now that would be Nintendo innovation.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
When has a game console EVER had a metal controller?

Not a controller but the backwards compatible PS3 models had a chrome faceplate with the exception of the 20 GB, which had none. This was changed to plastic for all non-BC models.

Not a console but the Vita-1000 had metal on its corners I believe.

Every modern console has metal in components, heatsinks, and RF shielding. It's not out of the realm of possibility, especially since Apple has done it before.

Ashodin

For those just catching up

• Leaks of the same device a different leaker gave out appeared, black model this time
  • Game Informer states "yep that looks similar to what I heard, not confirming it tho"
  • Treehouse staff retweets this thread
  • A new leaked image appears on the internet, at another angle
  • Treehouse staff deletes tweet mysteriously later
  • Still waiting for a bold back of the unit image
  • TEAMREAL AND TEAMFAKE EMERGE

Liam may say some stuff that's right on occasion, but the problem is that being reliable involves being able to separate credible rumours from those that are riskier in nature. He pretty much reports every single thing he hears which makes it very hard to distinguish between what should and shouldn't be taken more seriously. Boy who cried wolf and all that.

Threads regarding stuff he says aren't even allowed here anymore after Shikamaru Ninja (RIP) blew him TFO.

Aikidoka

that doesn't look very promising. Appears awkward to hold, and the screen shape is unappealing - not to mention your hands would be in the way. I do not think it's real, really just based on how Nintendo usually tries to go with an ergonomic design.

Peltz

• Leaks of the same device a different leaker gave out appeared, black model this time
  • Game Informer states "yep that looks similar to what I heard, not confirming it tho"

What did the Treehouse say?

tr00per

Well. It's certainly more convincing than the last shot. It does look nicer than I first thought but not ergonomic at all. I guess I'd have to reserve judgment until I try it myself though. Gonna be an interesting e3

Can we get some side and back shots though?

gafneo

Banned
Where are the buttons?

If it's some touch screen shit... lol.

Why would you need buttons? Seriously, the screen has replaced most of the functions of keyboards. There must have been questions when Nintendo made the plus dpads. People where like, lulz, no giant atari stick, epic fail.

I'm not gonna dig through the other thread but the smoking gun that it was fake was not just that the picture matched EXACTLY, but the fact that the controller was sitting at an angle in the photo, and the screen shot matched up exactly. Which is not actually possible. Let's say that it was a real controller really running that tech demo, then the screen shot and the photo would not match up because the controller is at an angel so the picture on its screen would be skewed. But they matched exactly. That isn't how... god I don't know, is it physics? Geometry? That isn't how real life works. The image on the controller, which is at an angle, should also be at an angle. It isn't. It matches the screenshot perfectly.

Not a controller but the backwards compatible PS3 models had a chrome faceplate with the exception of the 20 GB, which had none. This was changed to plastic for all non-BC models.

Not a console but the Vita-1000 had metal on its corners I believe.

Every modern console has metal in components, heatsinks, and RF shielding. It's not out of the realm of possibility, especially since Apple has done it before.

That's taking what I was saying extremely literally because of course a controller, with circuitry inside, is going to have metal in it. I was responding to a person saying the shell was made of metal. It isn't, it's made of plastic, and no controller has ever had a full metal body. That would be ridiculously expensive to make VS plastic.

Tanoooki

I'm all for innovation but gaming with just a touch screen is bad. I can see the supposed bonus of having a screen for a controller is the ability for devs to map whatever control scheme they want but I guarantee it will not be that good. Imagine having to relearn the placement of buttons for every single game you play and not having the physical nub to ensure you are clicking the right button.

I expect a GameCube or Wii Pro controller to be bundled with it.

Mariolee

They're sourcing Liam, who's 50/50.

It's Nintendo Life, via Liam Robertson, whose track record is spotty at best

Haha so it's still up in the air.

WAIT I MISSED THE TREEHOUSE TWEETING.

Is it possible it's all fake and they're just laughing at us like Retro, but then realized it probably wasn't worth his job to add fuel to the fire...

OR IS IT ALL REAL,

MogCakes

How could the metal case be printed in 3d?

It seems allot of work to fool people, but you'll never know how far some people can go.

It's extremely easy to create a mockup like this if you have some familiarity with modeling software and experience with 3D printing. That it's also spray-painted (and the paint job isn't half-bad if I do say so myself) should give it away. The key is the nub, wherein the area that the thumb would rest on has a fibrous look to it. That's because it's ABS plastic, it's just been primed and coated to reduce the visibility of the threads.

Somnid

I thought it was fairly common to disseminate slightly different or incomplete information for such things to catch who is leaking.

jmizzal

One of the patents did describe interchangeable physical face buttons. Interesting. I don't believe they''d make them sold separately though, that seems like something you'd want to pack in with the system.

If it is real and its this close looking to the patent, then 100% it will have interchangeable face buttons since everything else is based off the patent.

So i'm not to worried about not buttons right now

ugoo18

If it is real..... 4p Local multiplayer to possibly still need the plethora of Wii controllers then?

Because that certainly doesn't look cheap to make or possibly run.

bman94

Playing Devil's Advocate here: What if included in the package is the console, a upgraded Pro Controller with gyoscope and acceleramator, all the necessary TV plug ins AND this controller? The Patents said that the "supplemental computing device" (which I assume would be this controller) would have its own separate cpu and stuff. What if this controller is just a means to have the console experience on the go and when you play the NX at home it will serve as a second screen of sorts and the pro controller would be the main control scheme for home gaming. If Nintendo is trying to embrace the mobile market this hypothetical no buttons controller would be perfect for that since it would be the perfect size to emulate cell phone games and having its own CPU means it can produce its own power for said games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom