• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Untitled_Artwork.png

It's the best I could do on my iPad.

ahahaha that was fast

Let's set all business reasons why this could be a catastrophe (production will not be cheap) aside:

- I'm OK with the shape
- I'm OK with the big screen
- I'm OK with the sticks and the mouse wheels
- I'm not OK with no buttons unless this is some kind of Harry Potter magic and they feel like real buttons (which again, business nightmare)

Just reveal it already Nintendo, you're losing control over the message AND TOU HAVEN'T EVEN REVEALED IT YET HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE

It's not going to be one for one with how real buttons feel, but haptics definitely provides possibilities that would allow for resistance on digital buttons and other things that would make it very similar. Whether those possibilities are mature and realized enough for this to be feasible is another matter entirely.

Mr Swine

Banned
What if Nintendo wants to bridge Smartphone games and console games with NX? We all know that playing games on a smartphone is not really that good compared to traditional consoles and handhelds. What if this is a way to get all smartphone games to be released on NX? You'd have both circle pads and touchscreen controllers instead of just the touch screen. I can see Nintendo having a large smartphone 3:red party support!

LuuKyK

3rd parties trying to adjust their games' HUDs and menus in that oval screen is going to be quite funny.

ps: if this turns out to be the so called "handheld version" of the NX as rumours mentioned.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Why is there and HDMI port coming out of the top though?

Is this thing the actual console itself? The leaker said its the controller for the console, but is the controller and the console itself one in the same?

It's dev hardware. That might not even be an HDMI, but some sort of umbilical cord to the development PC/debug console in place of unreliable wireless connection.

Drifters

I watched the first thread and now I'm trying to figure out what the hell Nintendo is doing... do they just not care anymore so they're throwing shit against the wall?

qko

I've used 3d touch on my iphone's home menu and it's neat, I just don't know if gamingwise its a good replacement. I can tell it's not just run-of-the-mill rumble/vibration

Tbh, I haven't found a game to try out "3d Touch" so any free recommendations from Mobile-GAF are welcome.

Cipherr

Christ fuck. Going to be great seeing people walk back from "Mobile gaming is trash due to no buttons/capacative is shit" to "Nintendo bringing fun out of the box innovation!!!!" like clockwork.

No way in hell. Touchscreen gaming is fucking atrocious. I have always hated it. No fucking way in hell would I ever dream of co-signing that shit for a console. It's a horrible fucking joke, the entire lot.

Nintendo lost the fucking plot here; some seriously huge self inflicted ether coming their way on this one.

PulseMC

Neo Member
I can't see playing a console game on that controller, via Off-Screen Play or otherwise being comfortable at all, but it looks like the perfect "Second Screen Experience" device that Nintendo wanted the Wii U Gamepad to be.

I really like the design though, the lack of buttons is weird, but looking at the market Nintendo wants to capitalize on, it makes sense.

Isn't the whole negative initial reaction to new Nintendo hardware thing sorta played? Maybe it's just because I remember the whole Wii era, where the boards were rife with "Nintendo DOOMED!" predictions.

I'm skeptical of no buttons too but... I also know that regardless of how wacky the console or handheld seemed to me (Gamecube, Wii, 3DS, etc.), there were always great games and memorable gameplay experiences that eventually came.

Man

This is like a litmus test.

They are throwing garbage out there.
And then they tally up who are their true followers on the various Internet forums.

_PsiFire_

What's the big deal? It's a prototype; who's to say they're won't be buttons on what comes to market? I also still think this is the handheld device, and while it will work as a controller for the home console it won't be the basic controller.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I swear to god: I saw an exactly the same shaped device in a shop a while ago.
even the size was kinda the same. It didn't feature those "analog sticks" afair
I dunno what it was though.

therefor still calling it fake

sidenote: In times of cheap 3D printers almost everyone could come up with a NX prototype(s)

Do people not really know the limitations of 3D printers? There isn't a 3D printer out there that could create something like this.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It was running the mobile demo. Which now I will gloat about for saying this will use mobile architecture. Will wait for how I am obviously wrong lol

I will be right there with you.

ARM, mobile cpu made the most sense for family of devices.

Its been that for for years in smartphones, tablets, laptops/netbooks.

If some of us are right, we tried to tell ppl cutting edge, industry leading chips doesnt only mean Intel or AMD. iDevices and Samsung devices use cutting edge chips.

I've used 3d touch on my iphone's home menu and it's neat, I just don't know if gamingwise its a good replacement. I can tell it's not just run-of-the-mill rumble/vibration

Tbh, I haven't found a game to try out "3d Touch" so any free recommendations from Mobile-GAF are welcome.

Yeah, this is the real question. Similar technology exists, the question is whether it's mature enough and viable for gaming, and whether Nintendo is using said tech and how

It's a dev kit and probably has a detachable grip so nintendo can test different handles without having to manufacture a different device every time.....

If that is true then, based on the fact that the Wii U game pad, wii u pro controller, and the n3ds all have the analogue sticks above the buttons, maybe the detachable grip on the dev kits have buttons on them, which would be under the screen? Just a random thought I had.

Clefargle

This could end up being great, but only if all three of the following are true:

1: This is the handheld

2: The haptics work very well across the entire surface and provide location feedback to help you "feel" their placement.

3: The screen is capacitive multitouch. (likely)

4: The ergonomics are not final. (may just be a dev unit)

5: The lack of physical buttons is supplemented by scroll triggers and regular triggers. (IT FUCKING BETTER HAVE FOUR TOTAL)

If all this works out and it has a great battery life with great resolution. IM DOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom