• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
One thing I don't understand - even if this thing had physical buttons, why would Nintendo put a screen in the controller for their new console, given the lack of functionality the Wii U's controller provided for most of their top games?

Why replicate paradigms that failed in your last console?

Presumably they think they can better implement the idea this time.

The Wii U had a lot of design flaws but it died because it took years for quality games to come. If Mario Maker had been there on day one, I'm sure things would have gone very differently. There was potential in the second screen but Nintendo was in such a disheveled state post-Wii that is was not really used properly.

Woffls

Not been following NX super closely, but is there much consensus on this being the handheld portion an 'NX platform'?

Either way, those non-buttons had better feel good... real damn good Nintendo.

Gator86

96421-Wtf-Are-You-Doing-Cat.gif

Drawing one step closer to me not having to pay a 300 dollar tax on Mario games.

Skux

Sorry Nintendo, no one is going to buy this. On cost alone it's going to be restrictive, and then don't get me started on the wacky control scheme.

Neoxon

I wonder if Nintendo will try to get away with another sub-hd screen again.
They'll probably go 540p, much like what most of us are expecting for the native resolution for the NX Handheld.

Speaking of which, have we heard from Matt since then (in terms of leaks)?

Cipherr

Imagine Mario Kart and Smash with no buttons...

Imagine will be all I'll be doing. Sure as shit ain't buying them. Played plenty ripoffs on phones. Garbage without buttons.

I mean lord, imagine precision in platformers with this crap. A joke all around.

Man, this is a disaster. I cannot believe the next Nintendo console's main controller isn't going to have face buttons. This is my nightmare scenario for sure. I can't even imagine playing Smash, Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Zelda, or Virtual Console games on something like that.

Nintendo....what are you freakin' doing?

I think they are once again thinking only about 1st party. Thats an outdated view on the industry. This crap has to be designed without taking into consideration what any other independent studio thinks about this thing lol.

sammex

This is straight up nuts. It might turn out to be another mistake but I'm glad we have a company the size of Nintendo willing to take massive risks like this. I'm nervous at the lack of buttons but definitely intrigued to see what their solution to that is.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If anyone wants to try how the buttons would be like, they can put this picture on a phone and try

kUqAN8a.jpg

Does anyone have the proportions of the patent drawings? i would like to make a more precise mock up of how the buttons would be

That doesn't match the shape of the controller at all.

Jonboy

There is no haptic technology that can accurately simulate the true feel of pressing a button.

It works on something like a trackpad that's one giant surface, but just imagine if you needed to hit one specific area of the trackpad (or controller in the NX's case) without looking. There's no way you'd be able to input your actions like you can with physical buttons.

Just imagining pro Smash Bros players trying to play on this thing is cracking me up.

Feels so strange not being the least bit excited about Nintendo anymore. I bought the Wii U day 1, but I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach with this.

Simbabbad

One thing I don't understand - even if this thing had physical buttons, why would Nintendo put a screen in the controller for their new console, given the lack of functionality the Wii U's controller provided for most of their top games?

Why replicate paradigms that failed in your last console?
And yet everybody wants a sequel to Super Mario Maker.

No touchscreen, no Mario Maker.

Also, Splatoon wouldn't be the same at all without gyroscope aiming and the map on the controller.

Wind Waker HD proved how useful a touchscreen is for an adventure game.

Etc.

Also, if the home console and the handheld have to be twins, then it has to have a touchscreen. No touchscreen on a handheld is now a bit no-no.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Assuming that the inputs between this one and the final unit stay the same, why even include analog nubs at all? Might as well go all-in on the touch front at that point.

Banned
Rösti;199021806 said:
On these series of fundamental issues that have already been set in motion, progress quickly is being made to prevent and combat further harmful scenarios. This struggling desire some house to have this information emerge I am not in favor of. Experiencing an executive deficit should not warrant illicit actions under a veil of ignorance. The remedy patience and determination, not drawing premature exposure. Goals should be shared.
You mean Nintendo is going to bunker down even more? Haha.

Crazyorloco

lol this was the controller for awhile too. I wish they did go with something different. I want to see new stuff being done with controllers.

Let's wait till we see the final version and for their plans before RIPing Nintendo.

That doesn't match the shape of the controller at all.
But it's more ergonomic than the design we're seeing.

Although I do like the design actually. It's different.

If this is true, why even bother trying to get any third party on board? Sure, Ubisoft will be there at launch and then leave once those games bomb. But other than that there will be no one.

Also, what's the idea behind having a screen that is covered by your hands? It's beyond stupid.

LuuKyK

Maybe we should wait for Nintendo to present the platform before we doom say...

I'm as worried as you all, but come on. Saying that they're screwed due to this is horribly short sighted. People said the same of the Wii. If there's any company that can make crazy shit like this work, it's Nintendo.

If this was the console that came after the Wii I would be inclined to agree with you, but yeah, lets just say that the Wii U wasn't a prime example on how to succeed in the current gaming market. For how long will Nintendo innovations keep paying off? IMO they needed a more "common" generation of consoles to bring back fans and dev support so that they could confidentially turn back to innovating. But thats just me.

megasus

I don't get it.

The white controller had A/B buttons but the black one does not.
Does that confirm the first (white) controller to be fake, or both?
uZz6mCC.png

Feichaw

Well, that's interesting...

I think we all should have expected something weird. It's Nintendo, after all.

We should call it "The Stewie".

Sterok

Rösti;199021806 said:
On these series of fundamental issues that have already been set in motion, progress quickly is being made to prevent and combat further harmful scenarios. This struggling desire some house to have this information emerge I am not in favor of. Experiencing an executive deficit should not warrant illicit actions under a veil of ignorance. The remedy patience and determination, not drawing premature exposure. Goals should be shared.

You're just having fun now aren't you?

Assuming it's real, I'll keep an open mind and wait for further details. But I don't have a very positive first impression.

I think Nintendo should allow another 30 or so pictures of the controller to leak before finally releasing a short statement on how "We will reveal more information on NX at E3". That should work well for them.

KiraXD

Who needs buttons... we all know that mobile gaming has proven that Touch Screen > Physical Buttons.

Touch screens are more precise than physical, have you ever accidentally double tapped a screen? i havent, but i ALWAYS hit X like 8-9 times before it registers.

seriously though... if it has no buttons... im skipping it.

I would think nintendo has gone through extensive testing to cover the general concerns that would come up regarding response and intuitiveness in terms of the controller.
Say what you will about the game pad, but its not the real reason the Wii U was unsuccessful.

hwy_61

Banned
How close does haptic feedback feels to pressing a button?

According to some past posters, pretty damn close. We've had someone talk about the MacBook touch pad, and someone commented that the steam controller is the best controller they've ever owned, thanks to the haptic buttons.

AetherZX

Despite what the leaker says..I have a hard time believing this is just the controller for a new home console.

I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo would copy the exact "stream image to the controller" concept of the Wii U.

My gut says this is the handheld...but is also doubling up as a controller for their next home console at present....

...either that or it truly is a hybrid system after all.

Surprised not many people are entertaining this idea a bit more. Might be the portable.

killroy87

Even as a prototype design, they wouldn't ask developers to work with a stupid oval screen if what wasn't what they were sticking with. The structure may change, but I bet the oval stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom