• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit perturbed that Nintendo didn't learn that trying to emulate the tablet market doesn't work. It's like their takeaway was the Wii U wasn't tablet enough so the NX has to be more tablet-y to compete.

I can see a lot of Nintendo's 3D games working on such a setup, though. StarFox, Zelda, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Metroid, etc.

But a lot of the popular games on other consoles will be a weird fit. Not enough screen real estate to cover the button functionality for games like GTA or The Division without looking stupid. Fighting games are out. Multiplayer TV games are out. If VR catches on, they're out by default. Lots of exclusions, so I'll wait to hear more.

I disagree. Look at the overall negative reaction to this controller design. Look at it. Now imagine this is E3 and and we never saw anything like this until then. What do you think reactions would be about? Forget however "good" the system is and all the various functionality. Controller sucks. Nintendo sucks. Goodbye. If nothing else, this softens blow. Having a high possibility of this being what the controller is, that opens the door people having already terrible expectations and for Nintendo to be able to prove those expectations wrong and show exactly why this is somehow a good idea.

Basically, let folks write it off now with low expectations so they can be surprised. Otherwise, this only comes out during E3, no one will pay attention to how it functions. Just lots of "lulz oval nintendo"

Hmmmm you do make a good point... After now, it can only go up from here.
most likely down but who knows anymore

Bl@de

lRleegF.png

Different tree

Kyuur

Will reserve judgement for impressions / handling it myself. Nintendo's controllers have always been weird on first look (Wiimote, Gamepad, even DS). They started the motion controller trend, I can see them starting button-less if it works well enough.

For those who don't see the benefit, it's probably due to the fact you're really used to video game controllers. "Press X to swing sword" vs "Press the sword icon to swing sword" is a completely different level of abstraction that some people (particularly those with less experience in games) have trouble with. Nintendo already started to combat it with on-screen layouts for more complicated games like Zelda, this is more improvement in that direction.

Of course it could be complete ass if the touch screen + feedback isn't up to par!

Timeaisis

Maybe it'll have some insane haptic feedback. The reason I really hate touchscreens is because they hardly give any feedback and you have to constantly look down at them. There could be some technology here we are missing.

This is my bargaining phase, by the way.

I look at these photos, consider that they might be real, and I just feel depressed. Why, Nintendo? I never expected the NX to be a powerhouse. Sub-HD portable screen? Sure. Several years old hardware? Let's go. I'm fine. But please Nintendo, please, just nothing insane.

Ugh.

I hope to look back on this in a few months and laugh at the stupidity of this. But with Nintendo everything scares me before they show what they've been making.

Haines

Banned
I don't understand people freaking out about this at all.

When the wiiu controller was shown I knew it was a bad idea because it was shown and explained in its final form. I still like the controller though, it was just a bad idea.

Why would I ever freak out about this? I have no clue what the hell it really is or does.

hal9001

Banned
Are you guys being serious with proclamations of Nintendo's death from one picture of something we don't even know what it is? I know this is the internet and we're supposed to be hyperbolic, but come on man.

They were never going to buy Nintendo console anyway. Some of these guys look for any excuse they can.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, people need to calm down.

The final version will have buttons

boomerang-e1348517069798.jpg

Ok, what was different about the buttons on this and the final controller?

All they did was chop off the extra plastic and made the controller straighter. Lets see a prototype with hard buttons for the NX controller first.

Pretty bad example, as that prototype/thing HAD buttons, just like the final controller lol.

Exactly.

Kathian

Banned
I hope its real because whilst not excited I am intrigued and people don't seem to react without ridiculous emotions so I think it'll be more fun if its true.

CrazyHal

The final controller better have physical buttons. I mean, can you imagine playing a fighting game with this thing? I played a fighting game on my phone once.

I immediately requested a refund.

sublimit

Banned
No buttons No buy. Hopefully this piece of shit will be optional and they will release a traditional controller as well.

engineer87

Neo Member
I'm guessing Nintendo is going to be making all their money by charging to replace all those cracked screen when people accidentally drop their controllers.

I disliked the Gamepad... but came to love it, felt better than i expected it to. I dislike touch buttons though, this does not seem to well to me. But there will be other options hopefully.

empyrean

Think the console will be a disaster if they go with no buttons, why won't nintendo just make something normal that 3rd party devs can get behind?

z1ggy

Looks kinda expensive. I don´t like touch screens at all but i'm more worried about the final price of the product and the visual output. Looks like a Wii U scenario again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom