• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Guys, I need to lie down. I'm actually feeling a bit dazed by this news. Nintendo... Wow. I just can't even.

Who asked for a button-less Vita?

Schnozberry

Wow, much better pictures this time. Makes me wonder if this is the real deal or a very high quality 3D printed fake of the last "leak" that we figured out was most likely bogus.

Slayven

on screen buttons for touch devices suck ass, and I don't see Nintendo fixing that. 3rd parties didn't want to do shit with the gamepad, now you think they going to be coming up with their own controller setup?

chadboban

The reveal for this thing is gonna be interesting to say the least. Wonder what the cost of manufacturing a controller like that would be. They better not make the same mistake and let it drive up the cost of the console like the gamepad did for the Wii U.

pkfWmFK.jpg

latest

Goodnight, sweet prince.

I said this in the other thread, but I expect the sticks to be detachable.

Nintendo owns a patent for changeable controls in a handheld device.

They could easily let you replace the right stick with physical buttons or the left stick with a d-pad.

People are making a mountain out of a molehill....again.

Galafar

Neo Member
I'm fairly certain Iwata said that this is not going to be a hybrid...

He never really talked about the aspect even through denial. I'm not sure WHAT the NX is but it being a hybrid is pretty likely I'd say. I think for the Wii U successor to be announced before the 3DS successor is just weird when the 3DS has been out for almost 2 years longer so because of that them being intertwined makes the most sense and it's what people want I'd like to think. Personally, I would keep them separate but that's just me.

MK_768

This is exactly what I'm thinking. You can either place it in a shell with handles or use it without one.

That said.....I'm not liking the way this is looking

The thing is, why not have the handles on the controller as default? It's an odd decision but maybe the final design will have it.

Because using a smart phone app is different from controlling traditional video games.

There is a reason why touch screens have not replace keyboards on laptops and desktop PCs. You don't want to write a book on a virtual keyboard. You probably don't want to play Call of Duty on virtual buttons.

As others have pointed out, the biggest issue is the impossibility to blindly know where the buttons are. This would be a smaller issue if the photo shows the handheld, since in this case your eyes would be on the screen the entire time. If the image shows the home console controller—or a handheld that also works as a home console controller—then the problem of using it blindly would be a problem. The analog sticks might server as a haptic reference point, but I am skeptical.

I am open to this thing. As a handheld it probably makes sense. But I remain skeptical if the home console will use the same concept. I never liked how the GamePad on the Wii U forced you to change your focus between TV and the controller in your lap all the time. This thing—again, if it is a controller for the home console, and not a handheld—looks like it would make that issue even worse.
Do you understand what haptic feed back is? Because it can theoretically solve all the problems associated with traditional digital buttons, and is stated to be a part of this controller

daveo42

Banned
I genuinely don't understand how any of that is an improvement over regular buttons, which don't require you to cover the screen with your hands to use.

Buttons are great.

Yup. And we better all hope that Nintendo also uses a similar touch system as Apple to measure sensitivity of button presses so you can "feel" the button without actively engaging it at the same time. Nothing worse than having to look at what button you are actually pressing instead of focusing on what is on screen.

Putting all your eggs in targeting the gamers raised on mobile seems awfully risky. That is a market that seems super fickle and already has cheap alternatives for gaming falling out of every orifice.

Makonero

They were right.
The Wii Remote has never been the standard control of a platform outside the Wii.

It came fast and went away as fast.

Who gives a shit about it being a standard? It was a fun, new way to play. And it worked! People still play Wii Sports. Lots of games still use it on the Wii U. Why does it have to be some industry setting standard in order to be a success?

Asd202

Welcome to Neogaf... Also check the wiimote reactiion thread.. This is a good sign. Trust me.

You should also check Wii U pad thread. The Wii remote sucked IMO but it had fantastic functionality as a motion controller while Wii U gamepad functionality didn't resonate with anyone. This thing could have something amazing hidden just like the wii remote did but we have to wait for that.

Cidd

If this is real NX will be DOA. Who are they targeting with this, Nintendo fans?

That worked out so great for the Wii U...

Alpha_eX

I said this in the other thread, but I expect the sticks to be detachable.

Nintendo owns a patent for changeable controls in a handheld device.

They could easily let you replace the right stick with physical buttons or the left stick with a d-pad.

People are making a mountain out of a molehill....again.

I don't really want to keep a box of buttons, because they can get lost or broken. I don't really want to build a controller to play a game.

Coketruck

Between recent advances in haptic touch technology (and the possibility of Nintendo has come up with even better improvements in that area for this thing), I'm less concerned about the lack of buttons and more concerned about comfort. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it seems like something with that shape would be uncomfortable to hold for a long period of time.

Then again, kid me did just fine with a NES controller that dug its corners into my hands, so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom