• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

(mat)

The only way I will be content with this is if it turns out this is some sort of Nintendo Smartphone. I would use a Nintendo Smartphone.

Henkka

Banned
Look at the reflection in the first image, then look at Massive's HQ in Sweden

Same tree

Same fucking tree man

Shit

The poster is almost certainly Finnish, unless his name is meant as a red herring. And that's a birch tree in the reflection.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The thing that worries me about this design is the lack of proper grips. Haptic feedback and stuff is cool, I'm not sure how well it'll work but I'd be willing to give it a shot, but for me proper grips are necessary for gaming. I used to game on PC and one of the main reasons I had to leave it behind was because gaming on a keyboard for longer than an hour caused me a lot of pain. Same thing happened with my Vita before I got grips for it. For some reason gaming puts a lot of stress on my wrists but that doesn't happen when I have a traditional controller in my hands with the proper grips. I assume there will at least be a third party shell for it but it's a big oversight for someone like me.

Apologize for quoting myself but I wanted to see if others had this same issue.

MrV4ltor

So one leaker is saying that the NX thing is just a controller, but we saw a mobile UE4 engine demo running on it in the last leak....
That doesn't really fit imo

I refuse to believe that in all of Nintendo no one said "hey maybe we should keep buttons?"

Conversely... think how many people this design had to go through. How many long time, industry vets this concept past through the hands of, how many skeptics had to be convinced for this concept to work.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt at this point, and as I've said before, I'm also a little excited to see what comes of it :)

Apologize for quoting myself but I wanted to see if others had this same issue.

This isn't the final design, the controller hasn't even been formally introduced yet. Expect the ergonomics to change between now and release.

DedValve

Banned
I really want to know the technology behind this. Like how would traditional games play? Zelda NX port is about to get interesting.

Goldrusher

1q5HkjO.gif

29jVR0s.gif

LordOfChaos

A significant difference is that showed the left and right sides after the sliders having the image on them, like the sticks were in holes in the screen. This one ends before the sticks and where your hands would be.

The screen is a haptic screen that will be used to to create digital buttons with physical feedback. It's actually really cool if it works well, because it means any part of the screen can become a button, and that you could possibly do stuff like customize the exact position of face buttons

I've never used a haptic feedback device before. Can you compare it to anything? Will it really feel like pressing a physical button? Seems like science fiction technology lol

MK_768

So how do we play Smash with this controller. That's something I'm extremely concerned about. Is the Gamecube controller gonna be the default because of the adapter?

So... if that is not fake - what about the battery on this thing?
WiiU gamepad doesn't last long, and its battery is supposedly larger (in size atleast).

I'm just counting on Nintendo to deliver on the games. There's no way they designed this controller to *NOT* play Mario or Zelda well. It'll feel good to play on, I'm sure of it.

On the other hand, other devs are going to be scratching their heads to know what to make of it (as they no doubt already are)

What makes me most curious is how they're going to pull off Virtual Console (if they do it again, which I don't see why they wouldn't) emulation of things like SNES or GBA games on smartphones really is terrible because it's practically impossible to hold B + A at the same time, so a game like Super Mario Bros. is unplayable. If they somehow found a way to do THAT with this haptic screen technology, then that's good enough for me.

Also they better let you pair more than one to a system -- that was the biggest failing of the Wii U Gamepad.

Strike

You know what? I'm going to reserve final judgment until we've seen this thing in action. You never really know what to expect from Nintendo. This could go either way. One thing for sure, this will be a fun thread to come back to in a year or so.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I need to hear opinions about the touch buttons. I mean, we're talking about Nintendo, and they surely wouldn't release a console where you can't even play a 2D / 3D main Mario game, but I need to know if the feedback is good enough.

Also, we need handles, but the original patent had the handles. And those were detachable.

BrikHog

Neo Member
Guys, I need to lie down. I'm actually feeling a bit dazed by this news. Nintendo... Wow. I just can't even.

Who asked for a button-less Vita?

It really is stunning (for all the wrong reasons). I was hoping for a "no gimmicks" Nintendo this go around, but NOPE. Nintendo just went straight "fuck it" on this one.

I would hope its a prototype.

I genuinely don't understand how any of that is an improvement over regular buttons, which don't require you to cover the screen with your hands to use.

Buttons are great.

Because it allows you to get more freedom with controlling button layouts and ergonomics? Because it allows a game to choose to have a completely different and nonstandard button setup if it wants to? Because most people keep their fingers on or hovering just over buttons anyways?

Baleoce

I really want to see the whole controller back to front. These sneak shots seem to very deliberately just show the front panel. Can't make out anything on the top either.

ekim

What if they offer attachable face buttons or a normal controller and this can be the controller for the console but also a handheld?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do you understand what haptic feed back is? Because it can theoretically solve all the problems associated with traditional digital buttons, and is stated to be a part of this controller

You apparently do not. It would not address the issue I pointed out at all.

Zero83

I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic and hope this is the portable console, which can be used as a controller for the stationary console. I mean, it looks like a handheld not a controller. There surely must be an alternative controller, the Wii and Wii U had lots of options in that regard?

Banned
Breaking News: Mario has told his agent to tell Nintendo management he's opting out of his contract.

Link and Samus are reportedly also doing the same thing.

The thing is, even if you imagine that Nintendo can and will make amazing games for this device, and even if lightening strikes twice and it is a wii like success, once again third party support will be token or small projects specfically for the console.

So the core market still either buy the console for nintendo IP or middling third party support.

Thats said, im confident that the NX will have more ports of mobile games than anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom