• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not even making a successful machine helped Nintendo.

Well yeah, that machine was a souped up GameCube that was not able to support cutting edge games, it was archaic tech even in 2006. NX is not going to be on the bleeding edge but it will be in the ballpark that means modern games can be scaled down to it.

mindy-god-i-want-a-donut.gif

joedick

Wow...the freak outs. I mean, all Nintendo have to do is make a 'Classic' type controller and pack it in or sell it on the cheap.

It's possible which is why I laugh at people losing their minds over touchscreen buttons.

I mean, based on the image with it on and a b button on the screen, combined with the fact that it explicitly talks about haptic feedback, touchscreen buttons that use haptic feedback are clearly a thing if this is real

This could end up being great, but only if all three of the following are true:

1: This is the handheld

2: The haptics work very well across the entire surface and provide location feedback to help you "feel" their placement.

3: The screen is capacitive multitouch. (likely)

4: The ergonomics are not final. (may just be a dev unit)

5: The lack of physical buttons is supplemented by scroll triggers and regular triggers. (IT FUCKING BETTER HAVE FOUR TOTAL)

If all this works out and it has a great battery life with great resolution. IM DOWN
Mostly likely all will be true. There is no way they made this and forgot about BC. They have to replicate the buttons somehow. I think you can scroll and use the analog as buttons such as up being Y and such. L/R will switch from analog to button modes for the nobs.
Potential more buttons since you can put some on the screen.

pmj

It's not the same tree, ffs. The tree in the reflection is, I'm pretty sure, a birch. It is in any case very light in color.

The tree outside Massive is a linden, a much darker tree. Google street view it to see yourself.

Seriously WTF? how can one use that tree and locate where it is? lol is there some website where you can upload tree pics and it pinpoints the location for you?

They probably looked up Swedish game developers with any chance of having a devkit. Massive is owned by Ubisoft, and Ubi loves putting out tons of games on a system at launch.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The haptic button idea isn't some farflung fantasy, it's literally built into this same rumor. Again, I can't say how well it'll work, but it's a real technology that could feasibly be an acceptable replacement, or even an improvement

Again, the OP says that it will work like Apple's tactic feature. Have you ever used an iPhone 6S? It's not a replacement for the reference point you get from physical buttons and that you need for blind use.

Seriously WTF? how can one use that tree and locate where it is? lol is there some website where you can upload tree pics and it pinpoints the location for you?

Dude lol. Its not that crazy. The computer gives away the country. There are but so many game companies that are big enough in that country that would get a prototype. There is a picture online of the front of the building.

PS: Please do not become a criminal or detective

So the sticker on it says Unit 2

Thats pretty interesting right? It could mean its simply the 2nd NX dev kit they have, or its the 2nd part of the kit itself, meaning there is more we haven't seen of it

Jackano

Swedish developers who can work on a new Nintendo hardware pretty soon aren't that many.

Then, Massive's HQ pic is on their wikipedia page.

It still doesn't mean this is 100% true. It could be 3D printed and made by a guy at Massive. But, we're getting closer it seems.

BlackJace

I mean, it looks interesting. But, no buttons would be a hard sell for me, and I imagine others.

Eh, it's not revealed yet, so I'm not gonna froth for now.

Subxero

Personally I think the controller looks good and I'm kinda excited to see more. I think having no face buttons is a hurdle but it could also be an advantage that would give developers the ability to lay out the controller how they think is best. It also adds immense customization if the user can drag and resize them.

As far as the shape and comfort of use I think there could be a shell this could snap into with playstation like nubs or handles. Like the steering wheel accessories for wii. It could actually be part of Nintendos new gimmick. They could provide various shells for the controller to snap into. By doing this the accessories could be shared between the console and handheld.

My biggest concern is power. The console needs to be more powerful than the X1/PS4. Even if they charge 399 for it. I think that is key to them getting and keeping 3Rd party ports. Especially with the speculation of Sony and MS developing upgraded hardware.

Cipherr

Isn't the whole negative initial reaction to new Nintendo hardware thing sorta played? Maybe it's just because I remember the whole Wii era, where the boards were rife with "Nintendo DOOMED!" predictions.

I'm skeptical of no buttons too but... I also know that regardless of how wacky the console or handheld seemed to me (Gamecube, Wii, 3DS, etc.), there were always great games and memorable gameplay experiences that eventually came.

Gamers are not going to want to play games without fucking buttons man. I understand you giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they went to far here. That shape is stupid, no real buttons is suicide.

They should be clawing backwards to reality where PSX and Xbox are, not going further down the rabbit hole of stupid 200$ controllers that led them to where they currently sit. Its a fucking joke and its okay to admit it.

They launch THAT shit and its Nintendo's last generation in hardware for sure. That crap is not salvageable, and third parties are waaaay past done trying to make 'special' versions of their games for Nintendo's fucking consoles. People want their maddens, CoD's, Assassins Creeds, GTAs and more. That shit we are looking at in that picture isn't going to get any of those without it costing a shit ton to port.

Game over if they launch that, and the failure will be well deserved. You get a mulligan for being stupid enough to try and capture lightning in a bottle twice in a row, but the third time you are just fucking asking for it.

Aaron D.

So has Detective Gaf figured out the dimensions of the controller yet?

Compare it to the Wii U pad sitting right there. How big is the major screen real-estate (say, between the two controller nubs), and how does that compare to something like the iPhone 6s Plus screen?

I think 6s Plus is 5.5" at 1080p.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
their target demographic are kids

kids prefer the feeling of a touch phone than of a controller with buttons

I agree. So why would a kid want this instead of just sticking with their iPhone? The design seems like a weird compromise for folks who prefer the simplicity of touchscreen only versus the concept of a traditional controller, seemingly making nobody happy in the process.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On these series of fundamental issues that have already been set in motion, progress quickly is being made to prevent and combat further harmful scenarios. This struggling desire some house to have this information emerge I am not in favor of. Experiencing an executive deficit should not warrant illicit actions under a veil of ignorance. The remedy patience and determination, not drawing premature exposure. Goals should be shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom