• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXE Review and Video Overviews

chapel

Banned
http://gizmodo.com/5070189/new-xbox-experience-nxe-review-its-pure-improvement

IMG_6534.jpg

"Are you really going to eat that all?"

But in spite of this success, Microsoft has chosen to make an aggressive, totally unprecedented step. They’re completely overhauling the Xbox 360 firmware with a free update called the New Xbox Experience (NXE) that hits consoles on November 19th. Functionally, it's hiding at least one killer app. Visually, it’s a bigger jump than Windows XP to Windows Vista. Given that NXE is a mandatory update for anyone on Xbox Live, it's a good thing we really, really liked it.

Navigation
The NXE Dashboard looks entirely different from the old sliding blade system. In fact, it looks a lot more Apple than Microsoft, with sharp image-based navigation and a subtle icon reflection on the Cover Flow-esque surface where 360 content sits.

And you’ll notice immediately, it’s fast. Animations are very smooth as you flick through content, with little to no noticeable caching. Those occasional hiccups from the old blade interface have been burped out.
You might not understand how to get around NXE at first glance, but after a moment the system sinks in. Despite all those pretty icons on the right, the primary folder navigation can be seen on the upper left. It's a simple vertical list. Up and down changes your folder. Right and left selects the content from that folder.

• My Xbox is your home base, leading to your games, profiles, media libraries and settings.
• Friends shows all of your friends and their avatars.
• Inside Xbox links you to Microsoft-sponsored 360 videos, games and previews, from gaming tips to movie trailers.
• Events houses all of the scheduled 360 online events, like family play nights, “Gamerchix” girl nights and game-specific marathon play fests.
• Welcome introduces you to the main features of NXE, and it can be removed when you’re done with it. It's the only folder that can be removed on NXE.
• Spotlight is sort of a mix of My Xbox and Inside Xbox. It’s actually completely superfluous given the other categories, as well as misleading because it looks so much like My Xbox with your avatar there. And yes, icon two is a Subway commercial—or any ad Team Xbox wants to serve up.
• Game Marketplace is all about new DLC and community games.
• Video Marketplace is like the Game Marketplace but for movies. This is where Microsoft tucked the one and only Netflix icon. Why isn't Netflix in My Xbox if you're a subscriber?

The categories do feel a bit heavy, and unfortunately, you can’t tweak folder contents in any way. So say you want to stick Netflix into My Xbox since you have a subscription…too bad. It can’t be done.

What's great is that when you are buying arcade titles, browsing movies or sorting through other long lists, the interface shifts from the large Cover Flow icons to a nifty three-sheet page layout, allowing you to access more information easily.

So that’s the pretty view. But there’s a whole other (faster) way you can navigate through your 360. In fact, you could operate the entire device by hitting the Xbox button and pulling up the Quick Launch Bar.
The QLB is gray and blue (and for some reason, the text is a bit soft—I wish it were sharper), and it brings back the blade interface of yore. Not only can you pull up the QLB from the main menu, but you can pull it up from anywhere at any time, even in games.
Why is that access so convenient? Well, say you are playing Fable II. You can pull up your QLB and find a list of your most recently played games. Select one and you’ll hop from one title to another without tediously returning to the main menu. The same rubric applies to music, downloads and pretty much everything else you want to do on the 360. Oh, and it’s the best way to circumvent Microsoft ads and promotions because it has none.

Yes, we get it, Microsoft totally stole their avatars from Nintendo. Whatever. Good consoles borrow. Great consoles steal. Moving on…
The NXE avatars reach a whole different level of sharpness and detail when compared to their Wii counterparts—though that’s a good and a bad thing. The clothing, hairstyles and facial features are far more, well, impressive. They look great in HD, like a Mii after it hits some sort of technological puberty. You don’t just slap on a generic red shirt, you dress realistically in a pair of cuffed jeans and felt blazer. There’s just a whole different level of detail going on here.
But that detail, mainly regarding hair, face and eyes, means that it’s far harder to make your avatar actually look like you. NXE’s avatar art package simply doesn’t promote the universality of Nintendo’s Mii. My Mii looks just like me. My wife’s Mii looks just like her. Our NXE selves look like siblings, cousins or just some weird people who dress like us.

Also, as you search through lists of noses and beauty marks for your character, you might catch one of Microsoft’s notorious streaming delays as you wait for all of your options to load. It's no deal breaker—really this was the only time during the review I actually noticed it—but it can be annoying.
And clothes…we need more. Lots more. There’s no doubt that Microsoft will microtransaction these to death—in fact they're bringing in a whole avatar store—and that’s fine. But there are 33 shirt options for men right now. That selection may sound like a lot until you realize that you cannot alter colors or designs in any way. Ever see that 90210 where Brenda and Kelly pick out the same dress to the dance? Well it’s going to be even worse for Halo fans.

Multiplayer Parties
One of the biggest updates in NXE was multiplayer matching—under-the-hood adjustments that allow groups of friends to travel together from game to game with extreme convenience. Sounds good, but we were unable to test the feature because none of our friends have the new firmware.

Themes
Yes, you can use your old themes on NXE. No, it’s not quite the same. One wallpaper is used for a majority of your navigation (pretty much the whole time that you’re within the main icon-based interface, which is why that Fable backdrop is in every photo of this review). Other wallpapers make their way into submenus, like the Games Library content, but those moments are few and far between.

Full Game Installs
I began installing Fable II at 10:14pm and it finished by 10:25pm. I'm not sure that the game loaded any faster—maybe you could catch it with a stopwatch, but I couldn’t with casual observation.

But I did notice that Fable’s auto-guidance system reacted more quickly to my directional changes. Pop-ins may have been a little improved as well, though I was able to duplicate a few problems I experienced with the disc in.

The biggest benefit was that the DVD didn’t spin nonstop. In fact, it didn’t spin at all. Since my test 360 has gone through two optical drives already, I was happy to have the option to lessen the wear and tear on my 360.

Netflix
Finally, we get to my favorite update of NXE. Gold subscribers with Netflix subscriptions can instantly stream movies and tv shows right to their consoles.
You download the Netflix app on your Xbox, which takes about a minute. Then you go online with a 5-digit activation code, which takes about another minute. Add movies to your queue on netflix.com, and they appear on your Xbox in 1 to 5 seconds presented in sharp and vivid box art. (Even though you build a playlist on a PC, you can still check out queued movie ratings and summaries on the 360.)
That’s, what, three minutes of setup time? To begin streaming any film in your queue, it's just another 10 seconds.

Testing clips, video automatically formatted to our widescreen television. Of course, the determined by your bandwidth—it should look just like the quality in the $100 Roku box that's been available for some time. But as long as you have 2Mbps or faster downstream, you should have a positive experience. The picture is softer than DVD but sharper than Amazon Unbox. The only thing that bothers me is the noticeably lower frame rate than either. Still...I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth. It's very watchable, and free (with subscription).
Fast forwarding brings you to a screen with 10 or so stills that you can cycle through to pick your spot of choice. You can quit watching a film and then resume it later with no problem.
All in all, it's a fantastic interface that makes for a trouble-free user experience. Microsoft nailed it. And we feel bad for Roku. They made a great product, and in one step, Microsoft made it pretty much obsolete.

At the End of the Day
Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether or not you like NXE, since we're all going to be forced to update the firmware to connect to Xbox Live. But luckily, NXE is an all-around upgrade from the old 360 OS—which really wasn't so bad in its own right.

NXE is faster, prettier and more functional than its predecessor. It brings us avatars and Netflix, full game installs and more robust multiplayer. Truth be told, we could have been shown NXE as the operating system behind the Xbox 720, and life wouldn't have been so bad. Instead, we get it a few years early. And we consider ourselves lucky.

Check out here for some videos on all the different areas: http://tinyurl.com/6l2ty2

Here are some direct links to the videos.

Overview: http://tinyurl.com/5l58uo
Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6jaqez
Marketplace: http://tinyurl.com/5pmqmp
Game Install: http://tinyurl.com/6rdynn
Avatars: http://tinyurl.com/5jeobk
My Xbox: http://tinyurl.com/6kumlq
Community Games: http://tinyurl.com/69llv5
Netflix: http://tinyurl.com/6o4f39
Parties: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3gBFgQhRio

Good video overview from GameVideos: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/22359

Some more info on the release with videos (I couldn't watch them unfortunately) and a chart with comparison times on disc vs hdd loads: http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogspot.com/2008/10/review-new-xbox-experience-everything.html
You all know the score by now – the game disc needs to be kept in the drive, but it’s only accessed once – everything else is accessed from the hard disk. The result is that the Xbox 360 is much, much quieter during gameplay. Play a demo from the Live Marketplace and that’s exactly the same level of noise you’ll be getting. The question is, what other benefits are there? Most Xbox 360 games are already optimised to cache to the hard disk – it’s the main reason why there’s only 12GB available on the original 20GB hard disk.
Although I’ll need to look at this a bit more scientifically (ie checking in stuff like pop-in on Gears of War or GTAIV), there’s no doubt that spooling to hard disk results in a welcome speed bump.
Here are a few games I checked out:

timings.gif

Lock if old, I searched and didn't find anything on these.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The videos provide a pretty thorough walkthrough. I was hoping you could turn off "x is online" notifications and keep invite/chat request/messages but from that video it doesn't look like you can. My most anticipated features are the party system and the ability to install games. The ability to chat with 8 people and no DVD noise will both be a godsend. Being able to delete all those 0 point Xbox Live trials from my achievements list is a bonus too.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Is that the first look at advertising on the NXE? I cant remember seeing anything before.

Hmmm... Now I feel like Subway. :(

Danielsan

The game install feature might get me to buy a 120gig hard drive. Playing Fable 2 on the 360 after playing Dead Space on the PS3 reminded how insanely loud the 360 (disk drive) is.
If only they'd drop the damn price to an acceptable level. The 120gig HDD is almost as expensive as a 360 arcade....

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Router said:
Is that the first look at advertising on the NXE? I cant remember seeing anything before.

Hmmm... Now I feel like Subway. :(

:lol the Fable kid looks horrified by the subway ad.

But that detail, mainly regarding hair, face and eyes, means that it’s far harder to make your avatar actually look like you. NXE’s avatar art package simply doesn’t promote the universality of Nintendo’s Mii. My Mii looks just like me. My wife’s Mii looks just like her. Our NXE selves look like siblings, cousins or just some weird people who dress like us.

Good thing they announced The Avatar Store so we can buy better face parts, right, guys?

Guys?

chapel

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
So I have to scroll past an ad in order to get to the other features of the dashboard? Ugh.
Don't take this as gospel but from what I read about NXE and advertising, I think Spotlight is the only place for ads. Though I could be wrong and they would place ads in other sections too. Though I didn't see any in the videos, I don't remember seeing any.

NekoFever

I love that new guide, especially how you can access the Marketplace and switch games without returning to the Dashboard. Just yesterday I saw that the TRU demo came out while I was playing Fable II because I had friends playing it, and I wished I could start it downloading without having to quit the game and come back in or risking forgetting it when I finished playing. That'll come in handy.

Bleh at the ad, though :(

chapel

Banned
NekoFever said:
I love that new guide, especially how you can access the Marketplace and switch games without returning to the Dashboard. Just yesterday I saw that the TRU demo came out while I was playing Fable II because I had friends playing it, and I wished I could start it downloading without having to quit the game and come back in or risking forgetting it when I finished playing. That'll come in handy.

Bleh at the ad, though :(
Unfortunately you can't access the marketplace without going to the dashboard and exiting the game you're in. But you can switch games on the fly easily.

zaidr

my most anticipated feature = 16:10 support.

just give me that and i'm golden.

Anyone get an email back from that NXE beta sign-up? Wasn't it today that they were going to pick?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
What is the point of having an official review for something that everyone has to get?

It's not like we can choose not to upgrade, right?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sp0rsk said:
What is the point of having an official review for something that everyone has to get?

It's not like we can choose not to upgrade, right?
To appease those worried.

Feeding the hungry.

CoG

The QLB is gray and blue (and for some reason, the text is a bit soft—I wish it were sharper), and it brings back the blade interface of yore.

Don't tell me NXE is 720p upscaled like the current interface.

Gowans

Xun said:
Looking slick, but does anyone know if we can have more friends? Since 100 to me isn't enough.

Nah dont think so, im in the same position, that god for friends of friends.

Also fingers crossed I get that preview NXE mail.

Banned
  1. Can you opt-out of these stupid avatars?
  2. Is it 1080p native now?
  3. Can you fast-forward/rewind/resume music now?
  4. Can I get a refund for my themes now that they're broken?
  5. Can you have cross-game group chat without multiplayer parties? (e.g. we can all play something different, online or off)
  6. Do we have 1080p24 output for NTSC DVD/HD DVD yet?
  7. Improved DVD playback?
  8. Is the photo viewer fixed?
  9. Can we play 50Hz games via VGA yet?
  10. Can we use standard USB devices to transfer saves?
  11. Can we copy music/photos/movies off USB/network devices onto the hard drive?
  12. Improved voice chat quality? (audio quality still sucks compared to the original Xbox)
  13. Can I now choose to only see achievement and invite pop-ups rather than every time someone signs in?
  14. FLAC support?
  15. Fixed the video reset code? (they broke it a few updates back)
  16. Option to disable auto-run with games?
  17. Auto sign-in offline option?
  18. Does it disable notifications when appearing offline, like you get with ‘busy’?

I'm sure there was more that needed sorted, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head…

Dunlop

BigBlackGamer said:
nothing yet. major nelson said they should be going out today.

When I went on the Microsoft connect site, I saw a "Invitation ID" but the link did not work when I clicked on it (i checked again this morning and I don't even see that now).

If it is tied to the console ID I provided I am going to weep. I had an issue with my 360 that it would keep losing the DNS (I have 2 PC's a Wii and PSP that were fine) since a powerfailure I had at my house. The store made an exception and let me exhange it but I had to do it yesterday.

Please be attached to the gamertag

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Danielsan said:
The game install feature might get me to buy a 120gig hard drive. Playing Fable 2 on the 360 after playing Dead Space on the PS3 reminded how insanely loud the 360 (disk drive) is.
If only they'd drop the damn price to an acceptable level. The 120gig HDD is almost as expensive as a 360 arcade....

The game install feature is the reason I bought a 120GB drive a bit back.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the way it handles ads looks ridiculous. THE SUBWAY SANDWICH PANEL! WEIGHTED EQUALLY WIHT THE GAME YOU'VE GOT IN THE DRIVE! installs should be awesome, though -- i've cleared up the space on my 20gig hd

65536 said:
  5. Can you have cross-game group chat without multiplayer parties? (e.g. we can all play something different, online or off)
  11. Can we copy music/photos/movies off USB/network devices onto the hard drive?
  12. Improved voice chat quality? (audio quality still sucks compared to the original Xbox)
  13. Can I now choose to only see achievement and invite pop-ups rather than every time someone signs in?
  14. FLAC support?
  18. Does it disable notifications when appearing offline, like you get with ‘busy’?

I'm sure there was more that needed sorted, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head…

1. No.
4. They're not broken. So no.
5. Yes, you don't have to play the same game to talk with everybody in the party.
10. No.
12. No.
15. Isn't it already in?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
65536 said:

1. No.

[*]Can I get a refund for my themes now that they're broken?

LOL.

[*]Can you have cross-game group chat without multiplayer parties? (e.g. we can all play something different, online or off)

Yes.

[*]Is the photo viewer fixed?

Is it broken?

[*]Option to disable auto-run with games?
    [*]Auto sign-in offline option?

Those have been these since the beginning?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
drohne said:
i've heard more than once that we can keep using gamerpics instead of avatars

Avatars were confirmed as being mandatory a few weeks back. You can keep your gamerpic, you will still have an avatar on your dashboard though.

h3ro

65536 said:
Is it 1080p native now?

He mentioned text looking soft, meaning it was probably scaled on his screen. :/
(I'm assuming he was on a 1920x1080 screen.)

This thing is already a nightmare for MS size-wise, I doubt they ever thought to take up even space by using 1080p assets downscaling them for 720p screens...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Router said:
Avatars were confirmed as being mandatory a few weeks back. You can keep your gamerpic, you will still have an avatar on your dashboard though.

well fuck mii :/

NeXuSDK

drohne said:
i've heard more than once that we can keep using gamerpics instead of avatars

I can't believe how hard this is for some people to understand. The gamerpic and the avatar is two very different things and you will have both. With the avatar though, you can chose to take a picture of your avatar and use that as a gamerpic, or chose any other gamerpic you like.

As you can see on the screens, you still have the gamerpic in the top-right corner, where other people in your party will also be shown with their gamerpics.

Proc

windows media center as a dashboard is something I never wanted. oh well. I'll probably just continue to boot from disc anyways.

drohne said:
the way it handles ads looks ridiculous. THE SUBWAY SANDWICH PANEL! WEIGHTED EQUALLY WIHT THE GAME YOU'VE GOT IN THE DRIVE! installs should be awesome, though -- i've cleared up the space on my 20gig hd

It looks like it's just in the "Spotlight" section, which appears to be optional, as the reviewer described it.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'd like to have the best of both worlds and simply have my avatar look like my gamerpic.

Probably be kind of disturbing though. =/

I don't understand why we can't put our gamerpic on our avatar's shirt.

Banned
Vinterbird said:
4. They're not broken. So no.
“One wallpaper is used for a majority of your navigation (pretty much the whole time that you’re within the main icon-based interface”

If I wanted a wallpaper (half a wallpaper from the look of things) I'd just use my own JPEG. I bought a theme.

(note how it is colour coordinated with the blades)

Vinterbird said:
15. Isn't it already in?
Last time I checked, the video reset code still isn't working, and hasn't done since the last big dashboard upgrade. I've had a couple of friends ask me how to reset their system recently (they've done it before but forgot how) and had to talk them through how to set it up blind as it wouldn't work. (tried it on my own 360 too)

Router said:
Is it broken?
Yes, the image viewer displays the images off-colour and screws up the resolution with aliasing showing up in pictures where there shouldn't be any.

Router said:
Those have been these since the beginning?
You can stop the 360 booting directly to the disc when you power it on (was introduced in either the first or second update if I remember correctly) but not when you insert a disc and it's already on.

You can sign in offline if your machine doesn't sign in automatically and you set your status to offline manually, but I never want to sign in online, I want it to default to appearing offline. (like you can do with Live Messenger)

h3ro said:
This thing is already a nightmare for MS size-wise, I doubt they ever thought to take up even space by using 1080p assets downscaling them for 720p screens...
They're already requiring storage now, so why not just load more things off the drive?

bumpkin

Damn you NXE, get in my Xbox 360! November 19th feels like it's so far away...

But on the bright side, November 7th is just over a week from now. :D OHHHH YEAH!

Manp

65536 said:
  1. Fixed the video reset code? (they broke it a few updates back)

that's not broken... of course unless you mean something else (when the console is set to a resolution not supported by the monitor?)

edit: ok... that's definitely not broken, used it on my elite one of the first days after i bought it in august and there hasn't been a dashboard update in ages

:)

Dunlop

65536 said:
  14. FLAC support?

Are these actual questions or are you just generally bitching about things you know are not in the update?

65536 said:
If I wanted a wallpaper (half a wallpaper from the look of things) I'd just use my own JPEG. I bought a theme.

Dude. You bought a theme.

You can stop the 360 booting directly to the disc when you power it on (was introduced in either the first or second update if I remember correctly) but not when you insert a disc and it's already on.

This has been a mild annoyance for me and I'm not sure why they haven't added the option to pop in a disc and keep it on the dashboard. However, since you can do more through the Guide button than you could before, this is much less of an issue.

You can sign in offline if your machine doesn't sign in automatically and you set your status to offline manually, but I never want to sign in online, I want it to default to appearing offline. (like you can do with Live Messenger)

This option should be in, but why do you care that much about this? Are you playing while you're supposed to be working and your boss is on your friends list or something?

They're already requiring storage now, so why not just load more things off the drive?

They can't take up the entire 512MB!

Top Bottom