• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXE Review and Video Overviews

Banned
Manp said:
that's not broken... of course unless you mean something else (when the console is set to a resolution not supported by the monitor?)

:)
Holding down RT and Y when booting no longer works for me, or the two friends that have had to reset their video settings a few weeks back.

I'm pretty sure there was a post on GAF about it not working recently as well. It's at the point where I've now memorised that it's RB, RB, RB, A, A, A, hold Up, A.

Dunlop said:
Are these actual questions or are you just generally bitching about things you know are not in the update?
Questions.

Manp

65536 said:
You can stop the 360 booting directly to the disc when you power it on (was introduced in either the first or second update if I remember correctly) but not when you insert a disc and it's already on.

since you can now install games on the hdd and boot them from there it would be stupid if when you insert a disc the game would automatically start.

so i guess that's a yes but with Microsoft you never know

shuri

Banned
NOBODY WANTS THOSE AVATARS, MICROSOFT. What a fucking mistep from the microsoft departement. Whoever decided it would be a good idea to copy the miis (lets fucking admit it) should be fired. I can only imagine the execs meeting about this, people patting themselves about this.

-Normal games hates them
-The Wii demographic will be like 'oh just like the wii, ms copies something again lol'
- the medias will ALWAYS mention the link to the Miis. Always.

I have not seen a SINGLE positive comment about the avatars. Have a way to turn them off.

Manp

65536 said:
Holding down Y when booting no longer works for me, or the two friends that have had to reset their video settings a few weeks back.

holding down Y never worked afair. you have to hold down Y and the right trigger at the same time.

there's an article in Microsoft's knowledge base... here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911059/

and it definitely works btw

What's to prevent people from renting and installing games. Is there any kind of initial disc check when you start a game?

shuri said:
NOBODY WANTS THOSE AVATARS, MICROSOFT.

I do. Why does it bother you that much? You can completely ignore them if you want.

Dunlop

shuri said:
NOBODY WANTS THOSE AVATARS, MICROSOFT.

You are very wrong about that. I don't want them personally but my kids will freaking go apeshit about them.

With the big marketing push they are doing, the Avatars will be huge in selling the system to Joe six pack

Banned
Manp said:
holding down Y never worked afair. you have to hold down Y and the right trigger at the same time.

there's an article in Microsoft's knowledge base... here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911059/

and it definitely works btw

Slipped my mind when typing it—you must've caught me before my (quick) edit. Just tried it with my 360 there, still not working.

I am hooked up via HDMI, but I don't think that should make a difference—one of those two friends was using VGA, and I think the other still uses Component.

bumpkin

shuri said:
-The Wii demographic will be like 'oh just like the wii, ms copies something again lol
The Wii demographic generally don't own an Xbox 360 or a PS3... The Wii is the console of choice for the casual and non-gamer. And as for MS copying everything, well, I think Sony takes the cake this gen with the Sixaxis.

"Look, what a marvelous innovation!"

eshwaaz

NeXuSDK said:
I can't believe how hard this is for some people to understand. The gamerpic and the avatar is two very different things and you will have both. With the avatar though, you can chose to take a picture of your avatar and use that as a gamerpic, or chose any other gamerpic you like.

As you can see on the screens, you still have the gamerpic in the top-right corner, where other people in your party will also be shown with their gamerpics.

In the October issue of OXM in their full report on NXE, they stated that "You'll still be able to use a gamer pic as your main profile pic, rather than opting for your Avatar's 3D noggin." I can totally understand why people would be confused by that statement.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
dammitmattt said:
I do. Why does it bother you that much? You can completely ignore them if you want.

uh, not really, since they're standing around on the top layer of the interface for no clear reason? even nintendo doesn't go that far, and insufferable tweeness is nintendo's whole thing

NekoFever

I just watched the guide video on the-site-that-shall-not-be-named. Deleting 0-point games from your history = WIN.

Meier

I really do hope they provide a credit to those of us who have bought Themes... I know they won't, but I think they should.

I signed up for the chance to trial it or whatever... crossing my fingers. Major Nelson said they'd send out invites today.

ElyrionX

How much space does the typical game take to install anyway? Did they mention how much space Fable 2 take up?

I'm no fan of game installs but the fucking 360 DVD drive with its jet engine is annoying the shit out of me every time I play at night.

I wonder what happens with the new dash when you go offline for a period of time. I'm constantly moving the 360 from one TV to my monitor in another room, and I don't hook it up to the network there.

But I will download it when I am connected, so will that ad box go away or just have a default message like it does now?

gcubed

ElyrionX said:
How much space does the typical game take to install anyway? Did they mention how much space Fable 2 take up?

I'm no fan of game installs but the fucking 360 DVD drive with its jet engine is annoying the shit out of me every time I play at night.

the noise reduction will be worth it, and the fact that it only took 11 minutes to do the full install is freaking awesome.

Aeana

ElyrionX said:

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the maximum space allowed for a 360 game on a DVD is 6.8GB (other space is taken up by required stuff, or something). And there was a video of someone installing GTA4 a few months ago and that was 6.8GB, too, so I guess it checks out.

Kafel

Banned
Ramenman said:
Yeah, I want someone to tell me that it's still in and that it works.

14x1kxu.jpg

drohne said:
uh, not really, since they're standing around on the top layer of the interface for no clear reason? even nintendo doesn't go that far, and insufferable tweeness is nintendo's whole thing

Just focus on the left side of the screen? Also, they don't seem to always be there in every sub-menu, or you could just use the quick menus from the Guide button to minimize your avatar viewing time.

--------

And again...what's to prevent people from renting and installing games?

dammitmattt said:
Just focus on the left side of the screen? Also, they don't seem to always be there in every sub-menu, or you could just use the quick menus from the Guide button to minimize your avatar viewing time.

--------

And again...what's to prevent people from renting and installing games?

disc check

Dizzy-4U

I suppose that the game will exit as soon as you remove the disc. Though, It could have been great to have a lan with friends with only one copy of the game...

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dizzy-4U said:
I suppose that the game will exit as soon as you remove the disc. Though, It could have been great to have a lan with friends with only one copy of the game...

Warhawk has this. We did it a few times, but more recently we just play online.

As to size as someone above asked, its 7ish max per game, the question is whether any games will also use separate optional installs like they do now...

AndyD said:
the question is whether any games will also use separate optional installs like they do now...
They will probably still continue to.

How I see it: The whole "installation" of the games is basically just an big image dump (.iso, .img, .cue, whatever) on the hard drive, since it will work with almost all old games, devs probably won't be able to use the new optional installs for any "own benefits" like they do on the PS3.

drohne said:
i've heard more than once that we can keep using gamerpics instead of avatars

This is true.

Most people misread what Microsoft was saying. When you boot up with the NXE for the first time, there will be a mandatory creation of an avatar. This dude will be your representation on your dashboard as well as your representation on the party page.

You will still be able to use gamerpic as your online representation. So if you see me in Fable II or another online game you can see my gamerpic if I choose to use them.

But that detail, mainly regarding hair, face and eyes, means that it’s far harder to make your avatar actually look like you. NXE’s avatar art package simply doesn’t promote the universality of Nintendo’s Mii. My Mii looks just like me. My wife’s Mii looks just like her. Our NXE selves look like siblings, cousins or just some weird people who dress like us
So the reviewer wasn't able to get his avatars to look like either him or his wife due to the avatar art options? Pretty big EPIC FAIL right there Microsoft. Way to miss the whole reason why Miis are so successful. :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
DancingJesus said:
If I'm not mistaken, don't the preview codes go out today?

"If you have been selected for participation in this program, you will notified by email by Wednesday, October 29th, 2008."

dammitmattt said:
Does it do the disc check every time? If so, it kind of ruins the point, but it seems unavoidable.
Yes it does check every time, but I doesn't ruin the point: the disc won't spin, it just has to be in the drive. (no disc spin, no loud noise, gamer happy) ;)

DopeyFish said:
"If you have been selected for participation in this program, you will notified by email by Wednesday, October 29th, 2008."

Thought so, thanks. Well, considering I didn't recieve an email - I guess I didn't get in :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
dammitmattt said:
Does it do the disc check every time? If so, it kind of ruins the point, but it seems unavoidable.
Every time you start the game. The point is to not spin the disc during gameplay, not to play without a disc.

DancingJesus said:
Thought so, thanks. Well, considering I didn't recieve an email - I guess I didn't get in :(

The day isn't over. I'm sure they'll probably go out this afternoon or something.

I was never able to get registered.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
65536 said:
“

You can sign in offline if your machine doesn't sign in automatically and you set your status to offline manually, but I never want to sign in online, I want it to default to appearing offline. (like you can do with Live Messenger)

I know you can set that on xbox.com, and I am pretty sure there is a way to do it from the actual xbox, but I dont know it off the top of my head. I have done it myself when I wanted to avoid having someone know I was online.

homez99

DancingJesus said:

It's still pretty early in the US isn't it? I think it's around 8 or 9am there and I haven't seen anyone brag about getting it so I don't think the emails have been sent out yet. MN's twitter stated yesterday that the emails should be sent tomorrow (now today).

XShagrath

Seeing as how no one on several forums I'm on has heard back yet, and no one has said anything in the comments over on MajorNelson, or anything on Major Nelson's twitter, I'd assume that they haven't notified anyone yet.

AndyD said:
Every time you start the game. The point is to not spin the disc during gameplay, not to play without a disc.

It is fairly pointless for me since I'm far enough way and using a good enough sound system that I only hear the drive when the volume is low and I'm trying not to wake the wife. Oh well...

derder

Has anyone mentioned that the lack of clothing options is probably to boost sales of the store and to reduce the install of the update?

Top Bottom