• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXE Review and Video Overviews

DuckRacer

striKeVillain! said:
I seriously don't understand why people need to delete games from their game history. Who cares if you played Yaris..
I have 110 games in my history. 50 of them are terrible XBLA trials from before the Winter '07 update.

I'm psyched as hell, looking through my played games list won't be a chore.

chapel

Banned
Added to the OP:

Good video overview from GameVideos: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/22359

Some more info on the release with videos (I couldn't watch them unfortunately) and a chart with comparison times on disc vs hdd loads: http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogspot.com/2008/10/review-new-xbox-experience-everything.html
You all know the score by now – the game disc needs to be kept in the drive, but it’s only accessed once – everything else is accessed from the hard disk. The result is that the Xbox 360 is much, much quieter during gameplay. Play a demo from the Live Marketplace and that’s exactly the same level of noise you’ll be getting. The question is, what other benefits are there? Most Xbox 360 games are already optimised to cache to the hard disk – it’s the main reason why there’s only 12GB available on the original 20GB hard disk.
Although I’ll need to look at this a bit more scientifically (ie checking in stuff like pop-in on Gears of War or GTAIV), there’s no doubt that spooling to hard disk results in a welcome speed bump.
Here are a few games I checked out:

timings.gif

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So are the pop-up notifications (Who comes online, Achievements unlocking, messages being sent to you, etc.) the same as they are now?

Major's Twitter

"<notices that the rate of incoming email to major-at xbox.com has dropped of significantly in the past 30 minutes> 3 minutes ago
....and if you email me asking, and I see that you're on the list...I'll take you off. ;) 31 minutes ago
No...emails have NOT been sent. Stop checking your email and go play Fable 2 or Fallout 3. I'll make a post when they're going out. 35 minutes ago"

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Domino Theory said:
So are the pop-up notifications (Who comes online, Achievements unlocking, messages being sent to you, etc.) the same as they are now?

They are the same. There's a new pop-up when that let's you know when you and people on your friends list are playing the same game.

Flyguy said:
Has anyone commented about if the HDD install aids with texture pop-in in games like ME?

That would be AWESOME!

lybertyboy: Can you see if Messenger has been updated? Do they now allow you to be logged into both the 360 and PC at the same time using Messenger's latest release with MPOP (multiple points of presence), or is it still one or the other?

FrankT

Flyguy said:
Has anyone commented about if the HDD install aids with texture pop-in in games like ME?

Just this comment from Gizmondo that I know of:

But I did notice that Fable’s auto-guidance system reacted more quickly to my directional changes. Pop-ins may have been a little improved as well, though I was able to duplicate a few problems I experienced with the disc in.

It would be nice for someone to test out ME however,

Flyguy

lybertyboy said:
I'll test it out on Gears of War 2 tomorrow.

Is pop-in a problem with Gears 2? A before & after HDD install video of ME would be awesome. That game has more pop-in than any game I've played this gen.

burgerdog

lybertyboy said:
I'll test it out on Gears of War 2 tomorrow.

With Gears 2! Show off! :D You don't have to answer this, but now that you mention Gears 2 having that problem -- is it closer to Gears 1 or Mass Effect?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
burgerdog said:
With Gears 2! Show off! :D You don't have to answer this, but now that you mention Gears 2 having that problem -- is it closer to Gears 1 or Mass Effect?

That's what I get for making a joke. Now everyone's going to be posting that Gears 2 has problems with texture pop-in and it's teh fail. :lol

There's a little pop-in when loading multiplayer maps, but that's it.

zaidr

burgerdog said:

IMO much improved from Gears 1.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/10/29/new-xbox-experience-emails-going-out.aspx

Preview Program emails going out
Within the next few hours, we’ll be sending out the notification email for those accepted in to the New Xbox Experience Preview Program. The email will be coming from MsftConn@micrsoft.com and the common name for the account is Microsoft Connect. Only those who have been accepted into the program will be receiving an email. Everyone who was chosen will get the New Xbox Experience update later this week. It will be pretty obvious when you’re prompted to receive it…trust me. If you got chosen, congratulations. If you did not get in …don’t worry, November 19th is almost here.

Also, please don’t email me asking/begging/bribing to get on the list! Thanks.

pr0cs

Although I’ll need to look at this a bit more scientifically (ie checking in stuff like pop-in on Gears of War or GTAIV), there’s no doubt that spooling to hard disk results in a welcome speed bump. Here are a few games I checked out:
Wow, some of those speeds increases are huge, and even in some of the new games (I was worried that it would only really help with old games).

I'm so looking forward to this update.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
That 1up video was great - everything moves so fast and loads so quickly!

Now I'm really pissed that I missed that thread to get the NXE early...

From Nelson's Blog:

"Edit: Well that was quick…all of the emails have been sent. Check your junk mail folder just in case!"

Well fuck, I didn't get in. :/

zaidr

well fuck, that blows. didn't get in either. 6,000 people out of however many people signed up is still a pretty small number, i guess.

zaidr said:
well fuck, that blows. didn't get in either. 6,000 people out of however many people signed up is still a pretty small number, i guess.

This wasn't a well-publicized sign-up, however, and the window was short.

goldenpp72 said:
someone needs to test sonic 360 on the installing.

I would have taken the hit had I gotten in. What a shame. :lol

cjelly said:
Unfortunately the music player has been removed. Sorry.

Umm... no, it hasn't.

From within the My Xbox section you can access it. The interface looks basically the same as current music player, but with a different color palette. I'm not sure how the music player looks when you press the guide though, I'm sure it has different controls.

potentially a stupid question, but when you install a game on your HDD it keeps the saves separate, right? Say i install GTA4, finish it and delete the install, all my saves and shit should be fine?

Ninja Scooter said:
potentially a stupid question, but when you install a game on your HDD it keeps the saves separate, right? Say i install GTA4, finish it and delete the install, all my saves and shit should be fine?
Yeah, they're listed as different things under the game. Watch this video at the end to see it.

Sean

Banned
From the GiantBomb walkthrough, found this neat:

nxefriendsplaying088f0.png

Now alerts you if any friends are currently playing the same game as you. Doesn't really matter in Fallout 3 (a single player game) but that's cool for multiplayer stuff like Halo 3.

Haeleos said:
Can anyone tell me why there's an ugly grey bar taking up half the screen over top of your theme?
You know that white Xbox sphere that appears when you turn on your 360? It now zooms in and becomes the planet your avatars and shit take place.

Susurrus

Finally I will be able to get rid of those stupid arcade trials off my game list.

Also Netflix feature is awesome.

Now thanks to the install feature, hopefully I can play Lost Odyssey DLC without getting disc read errors...I want to finish the DLC dungeon but so far haven't been able to thanks to disc read errors when entering/during combat.

I do have a question, though: Is the HD-DVD player still supported? I don't know why it wouldn't be, but when it installs on the pre-NXE menu, it adds another part to the menu, and I'm wondering if this kills that. I still use the player from time to time.

PizzaFarmer

Susurrus said:
I do have a question, though: Is the HD-DVD player still supported? I don't know why it wouldn't be, but when it installs on the pre-NXE menu, it adds another part to the menu, and I'm wondering if this kills that. I still use the player from time to time.
Yes, the HD DVD player is still supported. It's on the My Xbox channel.

Top Bottom