• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times joins the mainstream Wii lovefest

dyls

link (might require registration)

choice quotes:

Judging by sheer silicon horsepower, the Nintendo Wii is the least powerful of the new generation of video game systems. But for many people it will be the most fun, and that’s what really matters.
...the Wii (pronounced “we,” not “why”) is about rescuing gaming from the clutches of the hard-core young male demographic that has dominated the industry’s thinking for years. It is about making video games accessible again by providing a simple, intuitive, relatively inexpensive entertainment experience that an entire family can actually enjoy together.

At that, the Wii succeeds admirably.
More important, I have already seen the Wii appeal to people who would never pick up an Xbox or PlayStation controller. At Thanksgiving at my aunt’s house in New Jersey, there was my 59-year-old stepfather, who hadn’t touched a video game since Pong, locked in a tight golf match with my 21-year-old cousin. There was my aunt clamoring for her turn. And most shocking, there was my mother, 61, whom I had been trying to get into video games for two decades, playing tennis so vigorously she bruised her finger.
Perhaps my biggest revelation came playing the Wii version of Madden NFL 07. The Madden franchise is one of the all-time great video game properties, and it has always frustrated me that I am so horrible at it. That is largely because I have not mastered the truly byzantine range of extremely complicated button sequences that have been needed to play the game effectively on traditional game systems like PlayStation and Xbox...

With Madden on the Wii, yes, I had to figure out some basic buttons to push, but the whole experience was refreshingly intuitive. To hike, jerk the hand up. To throw, make an overhead throwing motion. Do you want to plant a Heisman Trophy-like stiff-arm in that poor defender’s grill as you sprint toward the end zone? Just stick out your arm with authority. On the Wii, all of a sudden I was just playing football rather than trying to figure out whether I was supposed to hit the triangle button first or the square.
Over all, though, the one game that I thought best encapsulated what the Wii is all about was the delightfully madcap, over-the-top collection of mini-games called Rayman Raving Rabbids. As with the Wii itself, it can be hard to appreciate the emotive visual style of the game’s insane toilet-plunger-wielding rabbits and the joy of outrunning, outshooting, outjumping and, best of all, outdancing them until you get it in your hands. And as with the Wii itself, even my mother enjoyed it.

Same stuff as the others, basically, but the mainstream praise continues to grow, and an awful lot of people read the New York Times.

Barnolde

Banned
dyls said:
Same stuff as the others, basically, but the mainstream praise continues to grow, and an awful lot of people read the New York Times.

It Prints Money

coming soon to Nintendo Wii.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
On the Wii, all of a sudden I was just playing football rather than trying to figure out whether I was supposed to hit the triangle button first or the square.
Ouch. Poor Sony.
sad.gif

Terrell

Someone should just make one huge compilation thread with every article in mainstream press that has praised this machine. Seeing that kind of VOLUME of praise in mainstream media will cause apocalyptic GAFness and clean up the forum of all the per-incident threads that clutter the front page.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
In before Amir0x and other haters call non gamers the scourge of the gaming industry.

dyls

Terrell said:
Someone should just make one huge compilation thread with every article in mainstream press that has praised this machine. Seeing that kind of VOLUME of praise in mainstream media will cause apocalyptic GAFness and clean up the forum of all the per-incident threads that clutter the front page.

I almost just posted it in the Washington Post thread, but then I thought, "I'll be damned if I let an article from a great paper like the NY Times be a simple sub-topic in a thread about an article from a mediocre paper like the Washinton Post!" (I've lived in both cities so I'm allowed to make such a bold claim.)

Back on topic, I love that he obviously wrote this after a fun Thanksgiving night playing Wii with his family, just like an excitable Gaffer might do.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Hell nah let the hatas hear the mainstream press in general praise this system article by article just to get the grasp that Wii is definetly making it's mark on the industry. Eat crow ******* eat crow!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hatorade said:
Hell nah let the hatas hear the mainstream press in general praise this system article by article just to get the grasp that Wii is definetly making it's mark on the industry. Eat crow ******* eat crow!

:lol

I suspect soon we`ll have a Wii version of the DS crow eating thread.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
dyls said:
I almost just posted it in the Washington Post thread, but then I thought, "I'll be damned if I let an article from a great paper like the NY Times be a simple sub-topic in a thread about an article from a mediocre paper like the Washinton Post!" (I've lived in both cities so I'm allowed to make such a bold claim.)

It's not that bold. All hail the NYT.

thetrin

Battersea Power Station said:
Say, I'm bored tonight. What are some good links on this matter?

The DS crow eating thread?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cauliflower of Love said:
Wonder if the wii will go the way of every other "trend".

iPod says hello.

Trends only die if they lose their advantage. So we'll just have to see how this plays out, Wii's first year is crucial.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I told my Mom I was gonna try and get one this morning and briefly mentioned Wii Sports and she said she wanted to play. Amazing. She has never wanted to play one game with me in 20 years.

thetrin

Yeah, can you link it? It's 2:44am and I'm going to stay up a few more hours so I can try to get a sweet ass TV at 5am. I need some entertainment in the meantime.

I can`t seem to find it. If someone else could find the DS crow eating thread including some choice quotes from sonycowboy, drinky and drohne, it would be greatly appreciated.

ethelred

Yeah, can you link it? It's 2:44am and I'm going to stay up a few more hours so I can try to get a sweet ass TV at 5am. I need some entertainment in the meantime.

I kinda want to get a tv tomorrow, too.

mj1108

TheTrin said:
I can`t seem to find it. If someone else could find the DS crow eating thread including some choice quotes from sonycowboy, drinky and drohne, it would be greatly appreciated.

Go to the Sales Archive and pick out a Media Create thread around the PSP launch.

It's a goldmine.

Vieo

I've had Wii since Tuesday, but haven't had the time to really sink my teeth into it(gonna play Zelda all day tomorrow though!). From the hour I've spent with it I can tell there really is a heap of potential there for the cultivation of new ideas. Hopefully 3rd parties will jump aboard and experiment.

thetrin

Thanks Error! I couldn`t remember what the thread was called. :)

ethelred

I feel so cruel for laughing... yet I hope in a year or two's time, we can find similar quotes about the Wii. And I'm not even rooting for it; I just want to laugh some more.

I'm a horrible person.

I especially liked these two gems:

Square Enix already has a game for the PSP and word is that quite a few more are to follow. I fully expect SE to be completely behind PSP in short order. They were concerned about a number of things, but with the news over the past 6 months and Sony's backburning of UMD movies and music (for the most part) over the next year or so, I think those concerns have been addressed.

The funny thing is there are some people as yourself that actually believe in a year's time from now (I give until E3), that there wont be 10 Squeenix games announced for the PSP. :lol

cvxfreak

What the hell was I thinking when I said the DS "certainly wasn't the true successor of the GBA." :lol I guess it was because GBA was still selling, but still, I was way off on that one.

dyls

Deku said:
This thread too. Choice quotes from Mr. Value himself.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27843

The fearless thread starter, HyperionX, actually wasn't that far off with his predictions, which of course he got totally flamed for.

HyperionX said:
Look at this way, by the time the PSP will have 500k units the DS will have around 2.8M. By the time the PSP will have a million, the DS should be in the neighborhood of 5M (assume PSP sells 1M by March 2005 by which the DS will have 5M). This is the strongest launch for Nintendo of any console or handheld AFAIK. It seems to me that the DS is clearly on the path of being the GBA replacement, which if that is the case will mean that they'll sell a gazillion DSes, especially if they make a price cut to $100 sometimes next year. If that is the case then I predict that:

end of 2005:
DS: 10-15 million
PSP: 3-5 million

end of 2006:
DS: 35-45 million
PSP: 10-15 million

end of 2007:
DS: 65-75 million
PSP: 20-25 million
A little high for DS, a little low for PSP, but not that far off. Especially when you consider what most were predicting.

Hilariously, just yesterday the same HyperionX was arguing that the PSP is doing fine.

HyperionX said:
Actually it's about the same month to month in the US too. And this is without any pricecut or redesign to speak of. The "doom" of the PSP is the most exaggerated claim being spread in neoGAF. It's at what, 17 million to DS's 27 million? Compared to the PS2's 50 million versus the competition's 10 million each at this time in its life, it's ridiculous to call the PSP a flop when it's doing much better at second than just any console in a long while. Probably the Genesis to SNES would be a good example.

I guess he just likes an underdog.:lol

Holy crap. If there were no DS shortages, and if we had actual sold PSP numbers instead of shipped, he might've been right on the money. I just saw him in a Wii thread saying that the novelty of the controller will wear off quickly. I thought it silly, but now I must reconsider. He might be a prophet.

What makes me laugh in those threads is the amount of people who said, because of the PSP's far superior technology, that DS couldn't possibly compete.:lol

Terrell

ethelred said:
I especially liked these two gems:
Yeah, it's almost as funny as the people who said that "Revolution" would have equal or worse 3rd-party support to that of the GameCube. Where are some of those threads? The system just launched, and it's ALREADY funny.

sonycowboy said:
It's like putting Claudia Shiffer next to Kirstie Alley.

mashoutposse said:
Put the two side by side. I don't think that it's any stretch to predict that PSP will sell more (much more?) than DS.

mashoutposse said:
Are you honestly predicting that the DS will outsell the PSP 3:1 even AFTER they're on store shelves and available for comparison? Not realistic, IMO.

Bishman said:
It is only a matter of time until consumers see that the PSP slaps the NDS in the face.

Amir0x said:
Dear God, how many times must you be corrected? NO IT IS NOT. Square announced an action RPG for PSP called "FINAL FANTASY VII: CRISIS CORE" which is an all new Final Fantasy VII spin-off. Please. PLEASE. Get it right :p

Belfast said:
You know you're in trouble when the strongest title you can trot out for a system as a display of its capabilities is a collection of mini-games.

Wow. I made it a point to avoid these type of DS vs PSP threads back then; really interesting to see the views of some people back then which have come quite largely unstuck. Really puts what's said now into perspective.

thetrin

You know you're in trouble when the strongest title you can trot out for a system as a display of its capabilities is a collection of mini-games.

You have to really wonder: Is he really talking about the DS, or the Wii? :lol

xaosslug

i guess we're finally beginning to see a small portion of Nintendo's 200 million for Wii marketing at work. ;p

Amir0x said:
Dear God, how many times must you be corrected? NO IT IS NOT. Square announced an action RPG for PSP called "FINAL FANTASY VII: CRISIS CORE" which is an all new Final Fantasy VII spin-off. Please. PLEASE. Get it right :p

Perhaps this quote needs some context, but I don't see what's so laughable about it, considering it is true.

No, I wouldn't say it's laughable, but a lot of the DS naysayers appeared to be convinced that Square Enix support would inevitably switch to the PSP, and Crisis Core was the best example of this shift taking place to be had. Which is mildly ironic, as it still hasn't been released. But yes, maybe that post wasn't the best to use outside of the needed context.

...and it has always frustrated me that I am so horrible at it. That is largely because I have not mastered the truly byzantine range of extremely complicated button sequences that have been needed to play the game effectively on traditional game systems like PlayStation and Xbox...

....On the Wii, all of a sudden I was just playing football rather than trying to figure out whether I was supposed to hit the triangle button first or the square....

Gamers are happy with quotes like this?

Yeah it's just like real football, while holding two motion controllers in your hand and using an analogue stick, wow I'm a real football player!

It has some slightly intuitive actions due to motion that work well in a sports game, give me a virtual ball and VR helmet and we can talk about "just like playing football".

The best thing about those old threads are the people maintaining that the graphical differences in DS and PSP would be a major factor. How many DS games that have sold well were even 3D? I always thought the PSP would be closer to the DS in terms of sales, but I really don't think hand held consoles are the market where you need to worry about poly counts and ****ing texture filtering.

Top Bottom