• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times joins the mainstream Wii lovefest

ethelred

travisbickle said:
Gamers are happy with quotes like this?

Yeah it's just like real football, while holding two motion controllers in your hand and using an analogue stick, wow I'm a real football player!

It has some slightly intuitive actions due to motion that work well in a sports game, give me a virtual ball and VR helmet and we can talk about "just like playing football".

There's nothing to not be happy about -- or to be annoyed about, I'll put it that way -- with quotes like that.

For one thing, as a gamer, I don't like sports video games and don't particularly care about them one way or the other. But more importantly (and this is important because it applies to all genres of gaming, not just sports): something can be more approachable or intuitive without losing its depth of gameplay.

jko

travisbickle said:
Gamers are happy with quotes like this?

Yeah it's just like real football, while holding two motion controllers in your hand and using an analogue stick, wow I'm a real football player!

It has some slightly intuitive actions due to motion that work well in a sports game, give me a virtual ball and VR helmet and we can talk about "just like playing football".
yup, better believe it. i've always hated sports games, and now they're fun thanks to the Wiimote, i'm actually ENJOYING them on a gaming system.

ethelred said:
something can be more approachable or intuitive without losing its depth of gameplay.

I'm skeptical, I've played PES/ISS through the years and seen it grow and change, significantly through the transition from PS1 to PS2. People have commented on the improvements in AI over the years and this is only due to the extra power of the console it is on.

Now we are basically going to get the current version, which even though it has great AI and an in-depth league system has faults, and you can strap a wiimote to your leg.

It just seems like they'll dumb down certain aspects just to pander to a new audience, I'll play DDR or guitar hero and love it, but sports games specifically have to head towards realism, the sales of Pro Evo and Football Manager, that are massive, show that fans love the tactical realism of the game and I don't really give a shit about people that think it's too complicated.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Wii is gonna do well, but I do see some parallels with the PSP there. We'll see, I just hope not everyone forgets that the Wii is as much an extension of the DS strategy as the PSP was an extension of the PS2 strategy.

Ashodin

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2144529&postcount=43
Why isn't this guy banned or tag changed to "Your hat, mother****er, did you EAT IT?"

duckroll said:
This means that anything made during the Nintendo DS period will be rendered completely irrelevent. Nintendo cannot use any of the experience or software in this entire period in a future war. Anything made on the DS can only be played on the DS and because of the huge technological gap between the DS and the PSP, I just don't think the DS is going to be around or on the top of Nintendo's agenda for very long. That's pretty much a big waste isn't it? Sony has entered the market with the PSP with a very clear exit strategy.

This quote also reeks of ownage. oh duckroll :lol :lol

duckroll said:
So to sum it up, I think that in 2005, the DS will be king in terms of sales and in terms of actual quality software released. But in the long run, 2006 and beyond, unless something changes right now, Sony will win by default simply by outlasting and outsurviving Nintendo's aggressive "now" strategy.
:lol :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
would be pretty funny if, after all this positive press, the wii fails to do much better than GC

Zer0

Banned
karasu said:
I remember when the mainstream media was praising the Dreamcast.

i remember when nintendo fanboys dont give a shit about mainstream media,now mainstream media is ubber cool XD

nintendo fanboys never cease to amaze me on his hipocrital stance

D.Lo

Zer0 said:
i remember when nintendo fanboys dont give a shit about mainstream media,now mainstream media is ubber cool XD

It's noy hypocritical, Nintendo has done very well (with both GCN and DS in the US) despite the mainstream media being against them.

Now we'll finally get to see exactly how well they can do with hype on their side.

fresquito

Zer0 said:

Nintendo fans didn't give a shit about mainstream media because it never spent a minute on Nintendo consoles. Now they do, there it comes the interest.

Besides, none's here's said anything about how cool mainstream media is now. You know, when the console you're buying gets great support from media, that's good because it may translate in greater sales, which will hopefully translate in more support from third parties. It's not that dificult to understand, even for a troll like you.

Zer0

Banned
fresquito said:
Nintendo fans didn't give a shit about mainstream media because it never spent a minute on Nintendo consoles. Now they do, there it comes the interest.

panchito,its not my problem your country have a third word sque nintendo advertising.in more civilized parts of the world nintendo always got the attention of the press

MrSardonic

Zer0 said:
panchito,its not my problem your country have a third word sque nintendo advertising.in more civilized parts of the world nintendo always got the attention of the press

Zer0
IQ

Mrbob

His Madden example is pretty bad. The receivers are still linked to the dpad and A button, so you need to hit one of those buttons first before motioning a throw. If anything you take one extra step to throw in the Wii version of Madden. You still need to select the receiver you want and then do the throw motion. Versus on PS2 you just hit the button of the receiver you want to throw too. It is not hard to do, but it isnt any more intuitive than throwing with a PS2 pad. Hiking the ball on the wii is interesting too, because the sounds of the HUT HUT HUT come through the wiimote speaker rather than the TV.

He should have used juking and stiff arm examples. So easy to pull off with the nunchuck and wiimote, and I much prefer using this method than the shoulder buttons.

Madden on Wii is awesome, in the same league as the PS2 version. For hardcore and casual gamers. I would say that using the wiimote adds to a bit more immersive expereience though.

MrSardonic

Mrbob said:
He should have used juking and stiff arm examples.

he did

Mrbob said:
I would say that using the wiimote adds to a bit more immersive expereience though.

hopefully it only gets better as EA improve the wii-formula

jarosh

Zer0 said:
you truly are the dumbest **** on gaf

Grecco

bububuh Its obviously Nintendo money hats! bubububub its a Nintendo PR Blowjob! bububububub Liberal Media Bias obviously! bububububu its the NY Times and thats a crappy trashy newspaper, why couldnt it be time magazine or the Washington Post?

:lol :lol :lol

Anytime videogames get mainstream praise it's due to bribery. We all know this, stop denying it to yourselves. Videogames suck so nobody but losers like us could possibly like them.

Same goes for mountain dew. It sucks, but moneyhats and internet dweeps keep it around. Wake up already.

Branduil

Are you honestly predicting that the DS will outsell the PSP 3:1 even AFTER they're on store shelves and available for comparison? Not realistic, IMO.

This isn't the most outrageous quote, but I did find the ratio he named amusing.

Top Bottom