• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF Meetup Reboot 2016-2/27 @ West 3rd Common featurinf board games and fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

o.jpg
Recommended listening: Kiss-New York Groove

2015 came and went without a meet up but it's back by popular demand after a year in hiatus. Join us for a reboot featuring board games, drinks, new faces and old faces. No dry humping here. Only board games and beer.

It's back bigger, better, and more consistent. This year's round of meet ups will hopefully be a return to form starting kicking things off with this one. I'll be raffling off a few things so keep an eye on the OP for the picture once I've thought about what to give away.

Update: Here's what I'll be raffling away throughout the night. I might include a few bonus surprises including some art.

The Plan

Update 2:
GraveRobberX get well card project
I'll be touting around a piece of Bristol that everyone can contribute to throughout the night. The end result will be to give it to GraveRobberX in person at a later point.

Date: February 27th, 2016
Place:http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-3rd-common-new-york West 3rd Common
Time: 6:30pm (18:30) for early birds (place TBD), 8:00pm (20:00) for everyone else
-//Side Note 1: Name tags will be provided.
-//Side Note 2: Feel free to bring a tabletop game or two of your own!

Meetup FAQ
Thanks to Toronto GAF for part of the FAQ but with additions and amendments
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long have these things been around?
See the OP here for a documented list of all the NYC GAF meet ups to date: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170651251&postcount=1

But I’m not a social butterfly and prefer to stay home to x activity. Strangers are weird.
“Do not be too timid or too unsure about your actions. All life is an experiment.” Yeah, we don’t know you and have never met but if you want to get over that, the best way to do it is to go out and socialize. We were all strangers at some point before we met.

I’m banned and/or stopped posting. Can I still come out?
The more, the merrier so feel free to show up!

How many people typically come out?
Typically 10-25 people; it consists of regulars and new comers. We've had GAF members visiting the city from abroad come out and join us as well. If you’re not a fan of big groups, like GAF itself, those big groups split up into smaller groups of discussion so no worries.

How long do these meetups last? Do you peeps always meetup at one location or move around the city?
In a nutshell, they go as long as they want so long as there's still a party left long after many people bail. The first location is the jump off point to other places once a decent party shows up. We've usually ended up in White Castle or walking several blocks north through the city during the wee hours of the night.

Do I have to drink to be cool with you all?
Nobody will pressure you to drink so if it’s water or soda you want, more power to you. But if you drink, make sure you keep an eye on how much you consume because we preferably want you to get home safe. A couple of GAF members have been unfortunate victims of muggings after we parted ways from past meetups.

But I’m poor and I’m trying to be frugal! Rent isn't cheap you know!
We all have bills to pay and are willing to take some of our time to meet up; one night out isn’t going to kill your budget. If anything, someone will buy you a drink and/or share food.

Oh no! It's too cold/hot to be outside! You guys are crazy!
Dress accordingly then. While weather is something to keep an eye on, it's not a factor so the show must go on.

What if I want to play the latest hot video game that came out?
Turn off your console/PC, bring your portable gaming device, and let’s play something with multiplayer.

This is going to be really awkward isn’t it?
It’s only awkward if you make it awkward for yourself. You’re welcome to bring name tags or get creative.

Will there be Earth Cam shenanigans like from the famous EviLore meetup?
What happened in that meetup, stayed in that meetup so the Magic 8 Ball says no. However, we live in the age of Periscope and Meerkat so never say never to that.

Where I can go air out my grievances about how expensive NYC is when there isn’t a meetup?
The NYC GAF OT.

Bullet biters

Maki
Mully
B-Dubs
Union Carbine
JadedWriter
Penguin
number47
NYCmetsfan
Karka-Pau
suffah
Wellington
Avixph
jon bones
ginger ninja
GK86
Peltz
Pein
FiggyCal
BigRedOne

Fence sitters
Alcotholic
TheLastWizard
gamechanger87

Misc.

-Optional meet up: On Friday, February 26th, there's a Final Fantasy Piano concert at Mason Hall. I haven't bought tickets yet but I'm heavily leaning towards going with a friend and possibly my brother. If anyone would be interested in going, let me know so we can meet up (pun not intended).
-Again, I want to reiterate that the next meetup will not be organized by me since I wanted to kick things off and but maybe another one in the future. The next one up to take the meetup reigns is looking to be Pau.
-I want to thank you all for coming out in advance and for posting in the thread regardless of whether or not you go. It's always fun doing this and it's been a long time coming. People had asked what happened on Twitter and in person but suffice to say, I needed a break.

Jhoan

Awesome! Very happy to see this has been well received. It's a huge sigh of relief for me. I'll update the list now.

krae_man

GAH I'm working that weekend. I could get a return trip on Megabus for $40 too.

I'll have to pay attention to your community thread for the next one. If I can get a cheap Megabus, I'll come down.

Jhoan

I don't know any board games, will that be ok? but I'm down to show up
To be honest, I don't know a single thing about board games either other than the hugely popular ones like Monopoly and Scrabble and having designed one in a game design class a few years ago so don't worry about it. That's where people like Alcotholic and Pau come in with recommendations. I keep listening to podcasts that have some tabletop games discussion but they go in through one ear and out the other.
GAH I'm working that weekend. I could get a return trip on Megabus for $40 too.

I'll have to pay attention to your community thread for the next one. If I can get a cheap Megabus, I'll come down.
If you can bring a few more Toronto GAF peeps with you, it would be a mega meetup but I understand the CND is severely tanking. The only time that happens is during the PAX'es. Always love lurking in your meetup threads since they're great. I want to see if I finally visit Toronto this year since a friend told me it's a huge departure from NY.

Jhoan

I'm tempted by this. I might be that weird dude with dslr taking pictures.
I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally don't mind being photographed it's so fine by me. We haven't photographed and uploaded pics of meetups in ages.

Makai said:
I have Love Letter, which is the absolute best quick-learn card game.
[game]

Edit: Ahh was the old date Feb 20th? I won't be around the 27th so can't make it!
Sorry man, I went back and forth on the date and thought it best to give it an extra week to gather steam given the delay. Hope to see you at the next if not at PAX East in April if you go or at MoCCA Fest/IndieCade East.

I actually have a game called The Wisconsin Dance Hustle sitting around in a cupboard that my game design professor made and gave us on the last day of class. I have never played it before and it looks like a fun game to play with a couple of beers in the system because we'll be making fools of ourselves. I'll bring it with me.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm on crutches beyond that point but I will try to make it. I work right up the street from there lol.

BTW there is a Barcade walking distance from the bar listed above, it's on St Marks and I believe 3rd.

I recommend getting name tags so we all know who the eff we are lol. Let me know Jip, I can bring them and a sharpy if needed.

Edit: I am down for drinking, not down for board games. I am however down for drinking games.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally don't mind being photographed it's so fine by me. We haven't photographed and uploaded pics of meetups in ages.
I'm shocked by this with the amount of photographers on GAF, if I'm there I'll take some or a lot of pics.

Karkador

Banned
I have a very short attention span :(

No worries. Just don't get the impression that we're going to play Monopoly for 3 hours.

A game will typically take 30-45 minutes, and I think even if you don't play, you'll find the heated discussions and the finger-pointing to be amusing. You might be won over after watching a round.

The cool thing is that it's a fun game thing we can do while also keeping the meetup social and less fragmented.

Jhoan

Put me as a maybe
If you don't come, I'm going to hadouken your PS4 through my phone's screen! Besides, it's been too long. Street Fighter V can always wait since I know a bunch of you folks are going to be on it like the new hotness that it will be. I won't be one of those people.
I'm on crutches beyond that point but I will try to make it. I work right up the street from there lol.

BTW there is a Barcade walking distance from the bar listed above, it's on St Marks and I believe 3rd.

I recommend getting name tags so we all know who the eff we are lol. Let me know Jip, I can bring them and a sharpy if needed.

Edit: I am down for drinking, not down for board games. I am however down for drinking games.
Go figure! I can't picture your huge frame with crutches since it's comical. I thought about getting name tags since I noticed that one of the big dollar stores in my nabe sells name tags when I was there. Next time I'm at the dollar store, I'll buy a few packs. I have a crap ton of Sharpies as well because my bro used to work at Starbucks but more Sharpies is always a good thing for some quick drawings.

Barcade is probably my favorite one of the bunch even though Barcade fatigue sets in. I've hit up the yakitori place across the street with DoktorEvil and an ex-GAF member who still lurks but that place gets pretty crowded/claustrophobic.

I understand that there's a stigma that's associated with tabletop games---too much time spent reading the rules and not enough time playing----but to echo Karkador above, there's tabletop games that are really complicated and take several hours to play like this Shelock Holmes game I heard about on a recent podcast (DLC if anyone is curious), then there's simple ones that can be picked up quickly and go smoothly. But in the end of day it's a fun social thing so-----not to anyone in particular---best to keep an open mind and have fun.

@JadedWriter, I was the unofficial documenteur for the meetups and a have crap ton of pictures from past ones still on my memory card that I've never posted before mostly out of respect for people as well as because some events are best experienced. There's nothing to embarrassing to hide since I tend to be more than happy to share them with people in person.

If you don't come, I'm going to hadouken your PS4 through my phone's screen! Besides, it's been too long. Street Fighter V can always wait since I know a bunch of you folks are going to be on it like the new hotness that it will be. I won't be one of those people.
How did you know I have a ps4?>_>

Also I'm not playing SFV, fighters aren't my thing:p

Jhoan

How did you know I have a ps4?>_>

Also I'm not playing SFV, fighters aren't my thing:p
Nanomachines, son! Using the power of common sense and your post history memory, you went to the Sony E3 Playstation Experience in Times Square, then several months later went to the Playstation Fan Experience in December. You also bought The Witcher 3 and COD BLOPS III for your bro during a sale and sold Xenoblade for 40 bucks last week. I don't know everything but I try and keep up with regulars I haven't seen in a while. Just ask Mully. ;)

I could have sworn you were. I think I have you mixed up with number47. A sign I'm getting old perhaps.
I think botty should show up.

Kisaya playing GAF matchmaker and botty is a chick!? Go figure! I thought all the NYC GAF girls were taken/unicorns. The last time girls nearly showed up to a meetup was about 3 years ago when gibut offered to bring some female friends much to my chagrin. I wonder how meow has been doing adjusting to life in the city.

Ah yes, the dream of becoming the next Sai-Ki/Karka-Pau/other famous GAF couples. But then again, one shouldn't get their hopes up; there's plenty of dating apps these days available in addition to fine wingmen/women in this thread. If it happens, then it happens; can't stop love from blooming on GAF.

Satch

Banned
Kisaya playing GAF matchmaker and botty is a chick!? Go figure! I thought all the NYC GAF girls were taken/unicorns. The last time girls nearly showed up to a meetup was about 3 years ago when gibut offered to bring some female friends much to my chagrin. I wonder how meow has been doing adjusting to life in the city.

Ah yes, the dream of becoming the next Sai-Ki/Karka-Pau/other famous GAF couples. But then again, one shouldn't get their hopes up; there's plenty of dating apps these days available in addition to fine wingmen/women in this thread. If it happens, then it happens; can't stop love from blooming on GAF.

sorry, she's already taken :)

Peltz

I'll be there. I look forward to meeting you all.

Edit: this thread got off to a creepy start. Still going though.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

Go figure! I can't picture your huge frame with crutches since it's comical. I thought about getting name tags since I noticed that one of the big dollar stores in my nabe sells name tags when I was there. Next time I'm at the dollar store, I'll buy a few packs. I have a crap ton of Sharpies as well because my bro used to work at Starbucks but more Sharpies is always a good thing for some quick drawings.

Barcade is probably my favorite one of the bunch even though Barcade fatigue sets in. I've hit up the yakitori place across the street with DoktorEvil and an ex-GAF member who still lurks but that place gets pretty crowded/claustrophobic.

I understand that there's a stigma that's associated with tabletop games---too much time spent reading the rules and not enough time playing----but to echo Karkador above, there's tabletop games that are really complicated and take several hours to play like this Shelock Holmes game I heard about on a recent podcast (DLC if anyone is curious), then there's simple ones that can be picked up quickly and go smoothly. But in the end of day it's a fun social thing so-----not to anyone in particular---best to keep an open mind and have fun.

@JadedWriter, I was the unofficial documenteur for the meetups and a have crap ton of pictures from past ones still on my memory card that I've never posted before mostly out of respect for people as well as because some events are best experienced. There's nothing to embarrassing to hide since I tend to be more than happy to share them with people in person.

Really? Is it good? I work all kinds of hours and am always looking for new places to try out around here. I'll give it a go.

If you have any other recommendations for spots around here let me know.

Jhoan

Can we please not be weird about girl gaffers.
I apologize for unintentionally offending anyone with my comment. I want everyone to feel comfortable and respected. I understand how uncomfortable women tend to feel in social situations. I would more than happy have a discussion on how make everyone feel welcome regardless of gender and welcome ideas!

Pau

I apologize for unintentionally offending anyone with my comment. I want everyone to feel comfortable and respected. I understand how uncomfortable women tend to feel in social situations. I would more than happy have a discussion on how make everyone feel welcome regardless of gender and welcome ideas!
Not talking about us in terms of being taken or being unicorns (???) would be a good start. Or being so eager to jump to conclusions about gaffers being potentially female and there to find dates. :p

Jhoan

Really? Is it good? I work all kinds of hours and am always looking for new places to try out around here. I'll give it a go.

If you have any other recommendations for spots around here let me know.
Yeah, it's a pretty good spot. It's got a nice offering of of cheap things on a skewer e.g. chicken, beef, and veggies. I'm not around that area all that often but based on past experience, there's a ton of other great places there. Check out Mayahuel on a date or alone and get one of their cocktails. I've only been there once but I had the Indian Winter which was good.

Not talking about us in terms of being taken or being unicorns (???) would be a good start. Or being so eager to jump to conclusions about gaffers being potentially female and there to find dates. :p
Okay, that's a good start. I exaggerated with the unicorns comment that much is for sure since I'm admittedly rather ignorant to local GAF community as a whole. I do think that by having you organize a meetup is also a good step.

Here's what I'll be giving away throughout the night. I might include a few bonus little trinkets and a GAF themed art piece to do at some point. It's also in the OP now:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom