• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF Meetup Reboot 2016-2/27 @ West 3rd Common featurinf board games and fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

I'm not a New Yorker but I am going to be in the area at this time (Jersey). I might be able to swing by and buy a round. Depends completely on what the GF plans as it's her family I'll be staying with.

Jhoan

Surprised there was no 2015 meetup.

Props to Jipan for putting it together.
Honestly man, I graduated from undergrad last January last year and realized that I needed some time off from organizing these things so gave it up to focus on paying of my debt to my alma mater (with the help of my mother), dabbling in writing, and volunteering among other things.

I missed doing it from time to time and there were times where I wanted to but I knew it was the right call for me make. College doesn't prepare you what it's like to wake up one day and ask yourself "What I am going today?" I thought I was going to get a bunch of art gigs but I realized it was soul crushing to look for them and not know my "style." I'm not happy where I'm currently at but comparing the point I was at last year to a year later, I'm more experienced and better equipped to able to step back out of the shadows; I came to terms with who I am and what defines me as a person outside of this forum.

So yeah, it was a bit of a spiritual/soul-searching journey that's still a work-in-progress to this day. Sorry for the rather serious post. A few GAF members I'd met at a few events had asked the same thing and more or less told them the above.
How long do these meetups last? Do you peeps always meetup at one location or move around the city?
Hahaha, I originally had these questions in the FAQ that I took from a past meetup. I'll throw these q's back into the above FAQ. But in a nutshell, they go as long as they want so long as there's still a party left long after many people bail. Latest I've gotten home is close to 7AM from one. The first location is the jump off point to other places once a decent party shows up. We've usually ended up in White Castle or walking several blocks north through the city during the wee hours of the night.
I feel like I could do this, but no one's gonna know who I am or that it's me
I plan on getting name tags so rest assured and I'm familar with your posts from The Walking Dead thread so I got your back.
I'm not a New Yorker but I am going to be in the area at this time (Jersey). I might be able to swing by and buy a round. Depends completely on what the GF plans as it's her family I'll be staying with.
You don't have to be from the city since Jersey and CT folks still count. We've had plenty of Jersey peeps turn out in the past as well as from Long Island.

I plan on getting name tags so rest assured and I'm familar with your posts from The Walking Dead thread so I got your back.
Alright. I also usually go home on the weekends but maybe I can make an exception for that weekend. It's still basically a month away anyway.

Avixph

Hahaha, I originally had these questions in the FAQ that I took from a past meetup. I'll throw these q's back into the above FAQ. But in a nutshell, they go as long as they want so long as there's still a party left long after many people bail. Latest I've gotten home is close to 7AM from one. The first location is the jump off point to other places once a decent party shows up. We've usually ended up in White Castle or walking several blocks north through the city during the wee hours of the night.
Thanks.

Jhoan

Oh yeah, that's right, El 27 de Febrero. I didn't think of that when deciding the date but go figure! That's food for thought. Many Dominincan businesses are going to be crowded that day. I've always wanted to see what DR is like during Carnaval season.

Oh yeah, that's right, El 27 de Febrero. I didn't think of that when deciding the date but go figure! That's food for thought. Many Dominincan businesses are going to be crowded that day. I've always wanted to see what DR is like during Carnaval season.
is there any possible way i could convince you move it to friday the 26th?

Jhoan

is there any possible way i could convince you move it to friday the 26th?

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Hmm...well now that I think about, you can write and illustrate a comic stating your reasons because it would be an entertaining post at the very least. :D

entremet

Honestly man, I graduated from undergrad last January last year and realized that I needed some time off from organizing these things so gave it up to focus on paying of my debt to my alma mater (with the help of my mother), dabbling in writing, and volunteering among other things.

I missed doing it from time to time and there were times where I wanted to but I knew it was the right call for me make. College doesn't prepare you what it's like to wake up one day and ask yourself "What I am going today?" I thought I was going to get a bunch of art gigs but I realized it was soul crushing to look for them and not know my "style." I'm not happy where I'm currently at but comparing the point I was at last year to a year later, I'm more experienced and better equipped to able to step back out of the shadows; I came to terms with who I am and what defines me as a person outside of this forum.

So yeah, it was a bit of a spiritual/soul-searching journey that's still a work-in-progress to this day. Sorry for the rather serious post. A few GAF members I'd met at a few events had asked the same thing and more or less told them the above.

You don't have to be from the city since Jersey and CT folks still count. We've had plenty of Jersey peeps turn out in the past as well as from Long Island.

Don't worry about it.

Life happens. Good on you for persisting, though.

Organizing events is always hard.

Jhoan

You can add me to fence sitter, but I think I'll just suck up on my introverted tendencies and show up

As a a fellow introvert who does a few extroverted things, I would say do it since I'm a firm believer in taking risks and doing stuff outside of your comfort zone. Trust me man, you'll thank yourself later since there's nothing worse than regret.

I brought this up in the NYC GAF thread and I'll bring it up in here. I'm planning on bring a sheet of Bristol paper with me (think: the GAF x Reddit Iwata get well card). It would be for Grave Robber X as a nice gesture of solidarity that I would either send or give to him in person by visiting him. Would you guys be down to add to it? I'll throw it into the OP as well.

For anyone who didn't see his thread, he's been recovering in the hospital for the last several months and has lost a considerable amount of weight. He came out to a meetup once a few years ago and was really appreciative of having been to bars for the first time.

As a a fellow introvert who does a few extroverted things, I would say do it since I'm a firm believer in taking risks and doing stuff outside of your comfort zone. Trust me man, you'll thank yourself later since there's nothing worse than regret.

Yeah your right, I'll be there

Jhoan

Giving this thread a much needed bump because it'll be in two weeks tomorrow. I don't have much else to add other than that I'm getting some packs of name tags next week. Until then, stay warm folks!

I'd have loved to attend this meetup, but man, board games bore me to sleep :/
Wish there still was arcades to meet up at. Ah well. Have fun, guys.

Jhoan

[Agent]ZeroNine;195953840 said:

Eh, you should still come out any way if you have nothing better to do. You don't have to play board games if you don't want to. Besides, we'll be near St. Marks Barcade any way so that might possibility be a place we'll end up hopping to afterwards. Not intending on staying at the same place all night.

I haven't updated the OP in two weeks. Wil do so now. The more, the merrier I always say! T-minus one week tomorrow!

Karkador

Banned
[Agent]ZeroNine;195953840 said:

We're going to be playing more modern, social games that are more engaging and quick, not some 3 hour monopoly slog.

would love to drop by though tolls are a killer from NJ and prob parking Sat evening as well.
i just drove into the city too... picked up a retro monitor the past week from Mega. i could've timed it for today=( it sounds like a lot of fun, anyways eitherway, have fun guys!

Jhoan

^^No worries! I want to go Fort Lee at some point since I've been craving Korean BBQ and never been to a Korean BBQ in Jersey. I heard they're even better than the ones in Flushing.

In an hour hour and 10 minutes, it'll be 7 days today that I'll be sitting around waiting for a party to gather. I think it's going to be a fun night and a decent turnout weather permitting. I'll be keeping close eye on the forecast. The weather is fantastic today so maybe I should've reconsidered but I'll live with it.

^^No worries! I want to go Fort Lee at some point since I've been craving Korean BBQ and never been to a Korean BBQ in Jersey. I heard they're even better than the ones in Flushing.

In an hour hour and 10 minutes, it'll be 7 days today that I'll be sitting around waiting for a party to gather. I think it's going to be a fun night and a decent turnout weather permitting. I'll be keeping close eye on the forecast. The weather is fantastic today so maybe I should've reconsidered but I'll live with it.

are you down at the place already setting up? man, i should've coordinated better and offered you a ride down in advance.

edit: yeah lots of good korean food around! i haven't taken it but i think there's a 1 dollar (maybe more now) shuttle/bus that goes across.

Jhoan

are you down at the place already setting up? man, i should've coordinated better and offered you a ride down in advance.

edit: yeah lots of good korean food around! i haven't taken it but i think there's a 1 dollar (maybe more now) shuttle/bus that goes across.
Nah man, my lazy ass is home so no worries. Everything is still set in stone for next Saturday.

I think I know the bus that you're talking about. On a good day, I may as well traverse the GWB by foot since it's because it's been close to two years since I last crossed it but taking a bus is a good idea. Funny enough, there's a meetup group called Shore Walkers that's meeting up by the GWB Bus Terminal next Saturday at 8AM I want to say. They're going to spend a full day crossing all the bridges in Manhattan.

Nah man, my lazy ass is home so no worries. Everything is still set in stone for next Saturday.

I think I know the bus that you're talking about. On a good day, I may as well traverse the GWB by foot since it's because it's been close to two years since I last crossed it but taking a bus is a good idea. Funny enough, there's a meetup group called Shore Walkers that's meeting up by the GWB Bus Terminal next Saturday at 8AM I want to say. They're going to spend a full day crossing all the bridges in Manhattan.

oh my bad i thought it was today. lol sorry! damn, i was telling Jaded it was today, i better pm him

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd love to go but it's my friend's surprise birthday party that evening. That FF piano concert mentioned in the OP sounds pretty cool though...

Jhoan

Oh man, my friend wants me to go with him to Nintendo World early in the day tomorrow since they're celebrating the Pokemon 20th anniversary and selling the 20th Anniversary New 3DS among other things: https://twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/702975151537672192

I'm dreading getting there early in the morning to line up for wristbands knowing how bad things went last Saturday. Pretty damn sure people will start queuing up tonight and camp out overnight. =/

I might decline his invitation depending on what he says but in the event that I do end up going, I'll walk down to the area early and chill around there. I will keep you all posted.

Pau

I don't mind hosting if you want to go to Nintendo World, Jipan.

I guess I should go buy name tags. That's also me in my avatar, and I will also be drinking coke in person, so I shouldn't be too hard to spot. :p

Please confirm (again) if you're coming to get an idea of what games to bring.

Jhoan

^^^ Name tags would be greatly appreciated since I did not get them. I will draw a GAF logo/banner by hand tonight on some Xerox paper. My friend is leaning towards backing out because of the lines so it looks like I won't have to stress myself out with that mess. I've been checking Twitter to see if there's any lines but so far, nothing.

If there's free Wi-Fi at the place, it's a good possibility that I'll Periscope some of the action. Not a bad idea to use a NeoGAF hashtag on social to filter out the content.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm still down. Finals just ended and I could use a drink/night old. Where are the early birds meeting up at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom