• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF Meetup Reboot 2016-2/27 @ West 3rd Common featurinf board games and fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

JYpI3b4.jpg

Pein

Banned
I feel so bad I can't come, but I've got a cold and don't wanna be the douche coughing and blowing his nose all night.

Someone pay for my plane ticket. Seriously though, sounds like a great place. You guys have fun. I hope I can joinyou guys next year or something.

Jhoan

Been a pretty damn good turn out. Board games has been fun. A couple of folks have bailed. Playing Cards Against Humanity currently.

Jhoan

The last of the party has split. Gonna get something to eat with Banned GAF Member, Makai, and Penguin. I think we're heading to Union Square but after food, we'll call it a night.

Pau

I don't think I got to say hello to Penguin. I wanted to talk about Batman. Next time! :(

In any case, nice to meet you all in person. It was a good turn out! Next time we gotta figure out a better way to deal with the bill so no one is overpaying. D:

Jhoan

^^Separate tabs! That's what a few people did.

I just left Penguin, Makai, and Banned GAF Member. Walking over to take the 1 train home. Nice to see the demand for meetups returning. It won't be the last one I organize and disappear for eleven months. This is only the first of several to come this year. There's a lot of ideas for the next one already so that will be fun to discuss. Escape The Room is looking like really candidate but TBD.

That being said, who knew playing board games would be a lot of fun? The Resistance was great. Thank you all for coming out, thanks to Pau/Karkador for the board games and helping organize it. It went a lot better than expected! I will see you all at the next one or at an event around the city if sooner.

Edit: No 1 trains on 14th st. Welp, time to walk to 23rd street.

Edit 2: Anecdote: 2 chicks and dude gave me a compliment on my hair on 19th and 7th. Called me over to say they love my afro. What do I do GAF?

Jhoan

Ooh man, i would have loved to go, just seeing this thread now though! :( oh well, maybe at the next one in another month or two.
Fixed. ;)

Didn't take any pics during the meetup aside from the lone Jenga block above but I think the owner of the place was taking pics that will be uploaded to the Yelp page in a few days so I'll keep an eye out for it. I guess it would be cool to have a designated photographer for the future.

Lingering question my mind: What became of Jesse Eisenberg Makai? I'm wondering if he ended up waking up in Greenwood Cemetery.

I think we'll shoot the next one for either April or May with plans for something smaller between then to be arranged through PM/the NYC GAF thread. Number47 dropped a Street Fighter V tournament hint and I heard talk of Smash Bros and another game that escapes my memory last night so a few ideas on the table in between the next one. Pau is spearheading that one so it's in good hands.

The next events folks can expect to run into me at next month will be at Big Apple Con on March 3rd and serving beer at the New York Craft Beer Festival the weekend of March 23rd.

Peltz

Fixed. ;)

Didn't take any pics during the meetup aside from the lone Jenga block above but I think the owner of the place was taking pics that will be uploaded to the Yelp page in a few days so I'll keep an eye out for it. I guess it would be cool to have a designated photographer for the future.

Lingering question my mind: What became of Jesse Eisenberg Makai? I'm wondering if he ended up waking up in Greenwood Cemetery.

I think we'll shoot the next one for either April or May with plans for something smaller between then to be arranged through PM/the NYC GAF thread. Number47 dropped a Street Fighter V tournament hint and I heard talk of Smash Bros and another game that escapes my memory last night so a few ideas on the table in between the next one. Pau is spearheading that one so it's in good hands.

The next events folks can expect to run into me at next month will be at Big Apple Con on March 3rd and serving beer at the New York Craft Beer Festival the weekend of March 23rd.

I'm down with some Smash and Street Fighter....

But as I mentioned last night, it may be cool if we figured out how to organize some sort of Towerfall event as well. This game is my favorite local multiplayer game at the moment. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgkzTwQdNAs

Jhoan

I'm down with some Smash and Street Fighter....

But as I mentioned last night, it may be cool if we figured out how to organize some sort of Towerfall event as well. This game is my favorite local multiplayer game at the moment. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgkzTwQdNAs
On mobile so I'll see the vid once I have Wi-Fibut sounds good. I think Mario Party wouldn't be a bad idea as well ala Giant Bomb's Mario Party Party. Only concern would be that some people would get too competitive and take it seriously.
But where would you host such a thing
There's several places around the city but a deposit would have to made to accomodate the rented out space. Reddit does this all the time with their meetups. Unless anyone knows someone in the city who can give a discount. It's the same logistics that we were briefly discussing about the Escape The Room idea. How much, how many people, and for how many hours is the million dollar question. Something to do homework on for sure.

On ananother note, I'm going to change my GAF name to something more suiting. Moving forward, I'll be posting using my real name as a turning personal point.

Peltz

Let's shoot to set up another meet up sometime this month. I had a great time and wouldn't mind organizing something and making this a regular thing. I also want to give another opportunity to hang out to those who missed out last time.

I'm thinking maybe we could do Fat Cat?

I'm sure most of you have been there before, but it's always a fun place with great music and games to play. Of course, all other suggestions are welcome!

And I'm thinking maybe the 26th? I'll create the thread if that's cool and people are interested. Of course, Jhoan, if you want to host this thing, you could create the thread (your OP is great after all, and you did a great job last time). Let me know.

P.S. One rule : no Connect Four this time (bully).

Jhoan

If the demand is there, then I'll consider doing it again this month so feel free to sound off folks! Otherwise, I'm going to be laying low throughout this month and April.

If anyone wants to shake things up and take up the organizing mantle, the door is wide open so I don't have a problem stepping aside. Organizing something is a fun, albeit slightly stressful affair but is incredibly rewarding.

That being said, I wouldn't mind doing something smaller and private this month. Fat Cat is a pretty solid place. I wouldn't be opposed to doing something on a Friday; thinking about MoMA, seeing Risk Live (storytelling show/podcast). The 26th is a bad weekend for me personally since as I mentioned before, I'm going to be volunteering at the New York Craft Beer Festival on Friday and Saturday.

Penguin

Probably not as much in this group, but would only be weary of that weekend because I know it's BvS opening and some may prefer that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom