• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: British and Dutch intelligence report meetings between Russia and Trump team

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYT: Obama Administration Rushed to Preserve Intelligence of Russian Election Hacking

NYT said:
WASHINGTON — In the Obama administration's last days, some White House officials scrambled to spread information about Russian efforts to undermine the presidential election — and about possible contacts between associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump and Russians — across the government. Former American officials say they had two aims: to ensure that such meddling isn't duplicated in future American or European elections, and to leave a clear trail of intelligence for government investigators.

American allies, including the British and the Dutch, had provided information describing meetings in European cities between Russian officials — and others close to Russia's president, Vladimir V. Putin — and associates of President-elect Trump, according to three former American officials who requested anonymity in discussing classified intelligence. Separately, American intelligence agencies had intercepted communications of Russian officials, some of them within the Kremlin, discussing contacts with Mr. Trump's associates.

As Inauguration Day approached, Obama White House officials grew convinced that the intelligence was damning and that they needed to ensure that as many people as possible inside government could see it, even if people without security clearances could not. Some officials began asking specific questions at intelligence briefings, knowing the answers would be archived and could be easily unearthed by investigators — including the Senate Intelligence Committee, which in early January announced an inquiry into Russian efforts to influence the election.

At intelligence agencies, there was a push to process as much raw intelligence as possible into analyses, and to keep the reports at a relatively low level of classification to ensure as wide a readership as possible across the government — and, in some cases, among European allies. This allowed the upload of as much intelligence as possible to Intellipedia, a secret wiki used by American intelligence analysts to share information.

There was also an effort to pass reports and other sensitive materials to Congress. In one instance, the State Department sent a cache of documents marked ”secret" to Senator Benjamin Cardin of Maryland days before the Jan. 20 inauguration. The documents, detailing Russian efforts to intervene in elections worldwide, were sent in response to a request from Mr. Cardin, the top Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee.

Some Obama White House officials had little faith that a Trump administration would make good on such pledges, and the efforts to preserve the intelligence continued until the administration's final hours. This was partly because intelligence was still being collected and analyzed, but it also reflected the sentiment among many administration officials that they had not recognized the scale of the Russian campaign until it was too late.

The warning signs had been building throughout the summer, but were far from clear. As WikiLeaks was pushing out emails stolen from the Democratic National Committee through online publication, American intelligence began picking up conversations in which Russian officials were discussing contacts with Trump associates, and European allies were starting to pass along information about people close to Mr. Trump meeting with Russians in the Netherlands, Britain and other countries.

But what was going on in the meetings was unclear to the officials, and the intercepted communications did little to clarify matters — the Russians, it appeared, were arguing about how far to go in interfering in the presidential election. What intensified the alarm at the Obama White House was a campaign of cyberattacks on state electoral systems in September, which led the administration to deliver a public accusation against the Russians in October.

But it wasn't until after the election, and after more intelligence had come in, that the administration began to grasp the scope of the suspected tampering and concluded that one goal of the campaign was to help tip the election in Mr. Trump's favor. In early December, Mr. Obama ordered the intelligence community to conduct a full assessment of the Russian campaign.

Tick tock, Mr. Trump.

hO7u6fm.gif

Bugger Burr and Nunes and Sessions

independent investigator is needed with a wide remit not this poxy little 4 point plan they already announced that is designed to avoid looking in the right places.

Acorn

Et tu Theresea? We held hands in the moonlight and I told who how much I hate those Dalmatians.

I mean, with foreign intelligence jumping in on this, there comes a point where the GOP would consider it wise to take it seriously and not just continue to sweep it under the rug, right?

First GOP has to get past the after-glow of that stupid speech.

It might well turn out to be their finest hour before a year of finger pointing and embarrassing back-pedalling. ("Personally I always knew he was corrupt, it just wasn't quite the right time to shake our democracy blah blah").

Brewmont

Banned
Not sure where else to post this, but I tried making a thread regarding this Maddow video going around twitter. It details Trump and Russia ties through his Sec. of Commerce pick, which seems to be the clearest tie I've seen thus far.

New News, New Thread for this too?

https://youtu.be/WX8dgbr5EI8

royalan

Sooo...this shit was known by the Obama administration.

And he refused to appoint an independent commission to investigate this, because...?

And he refused to appoint an independent commission to investigate this, because...?

He overestimated hills chances. Whilst underestimating the effect of the hacks.

If Hill had indeed won it would be an effective issue to bully and also embarrass Russia with afterward.

It was a gamble and he lost.

This is more info that the Steele dossier was correct.

So far despite other experts dismissing it as just moscow scuttlebutt and disinformation it hasn't been proved incorrect in any detail.

The WSJ London Office outed his name on Jan 11th. When I asked the reporter there why they did that, they said explosive stories need provenance even if this may be "inconvenient" for some people involved.

Inconvenient? This guy had to flee, is in hiding, his business is done for, and he could still be killed. This is "Inconvenient"?

It was only known way too late in the game, or at least that's the story that the sources in the article are pushing. Obama creating an independent commision at the 23rd hour would have been disastrous politically. It would have provided more than enough partisan cover for the GOP.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Trump tweet in 3..2..

why even bother. It's another NYT story with three anonymous sources and very few actual details. This is like water off a duck's back. This is what he's built up his defence against.

if this Russia angle is ever going to become more than a bunch of hearsay it needs some real connections between real people that can be proven on paper.

edit: see below.

But what was going on in the meetings was unclear to the officials, and the intercepted communications did little to clarify matters — the Russians, it appeared, were arguing about how far to go in interfering in the presidential election

So they didn't know what was going on but the Russians were arguing how much to interfere???

Seems obvious what was going on there. Are they using Google Translate for Russian?

When it rains, it pours WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during Trump’s presidential campaign, Justice officials say

Then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) spoke twice last year with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Justice Department officials said, encounters he did not disclose when asked about possible contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign and representatives of Moscow during Sessions’s confirmation hearing to become attorney general.

One of the meetings was a private conversation between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak that took place in September in the senator’s office, at the height of what U.S. intelligence officials say was a Russian cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential race.

KHarvey16

I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if a sitting administration went after the opposition party's candidate. Even if 100% justified I just don't see that going well.

Got

Banned
I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if a sitting administration went after the opposition party's candidate. Even if 100% justified I just don't see that going well.

yeah seems to be damned if you damned if you don't

Is this not serious?

I can't believe that there is no outrage or the media doesn't just have outrage for 24/7 or something. If this was Clinton or Obama it would be non stop blasphemy.

When your AG lies under oath, it's an issue, when it's about him being compromised by a foreign power, it's a big fucking deal.

WaPo said:
At his Jan. 10 Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing, Sessions was asked by Sen. Al Franken, a Minnesota Democrat, what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign.

“I’m not aware of any of those activities,” he responded.

wandering

Banned
People were sounding the death knells of the major newspapers a few years ago, turns out they're one of the few institutions still doing real work.

I don't know the political process, but realistically what can happen if a smoking gun is revealed? Can congress and/or law enforcement choose not to do their job and leave Trump alone?

why even bother. It's another NYT story with three anonymous sources and very few actual details. This is like water off a duck's back. This is what he's built up his defence against.

if this Russia angle is ever going to become more than a bunch of hearsay it needs some real connections between real people that can be proven on paper.

edit: see below.

The whole point is that the people WITH the information are signalling they HAVE the information and are prepared to use it. But would prefer not to, for obvious reasons.

With this information in hand people are going to go back to Cohen Manafort Page Sessions Flynn and anyone else and re-ask tighter questions, and now we'll start to hear "no comment" or "i can't recall". And this will place more pressure on the investigations to be headed by non-partisan people and to have wider powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom