• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: G.O.P. Urges Donald Trump to Broaden Outreach to Black Voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, all votes matter. That's how it works, right?

Not sure what appeal he has with the black community, honestly.

Zero. He's the racist boss who makes bad jokes, doesn't give raises and tells you to be grateful that you aren't in the streets.

Fuck him.

HylianTom

Banned
One big problem that the national GOP has is that the state-level GOP won't allow them to address their image problem. Take Alabama, for example: they tried to rig voter registration hours/offices/rules in order to disproportionately disenfranchise black voters. No amount of fluffy, feel-good, symbolic outreach undoes this. This kind of thing hits people at home, on a local level. The voters aren't dumb.. they know what the GOP base thinks of them.

This is duplicated for LGBT issues, women's issues, issues of science, etc. The successes that the GOP has seen at lower levels has enabled them to embrace their darker impulses.

They're fucked. And until they drop this kind of bullshit for good and start making amends - at all levels - they deserve every bit of the electoral pain that they get.

Slayven

Literally pointless. There's too much cultural and political inertia for that ever to be feasible. A more realistic strategy is trying to stop the chronic collapse in the Republican Latino vote, although another cycle of Trumps and that might go the way of the majority of the black vote.

They said the same thing in 2008, and 2012, but yet here we are

Crocodile

Republicans always do poorly with Black voters but Trump is extra repellent. It's part of the reasons states like the Carolinas, Georgia, etc. are in play this year - they have very high Black populations, far above the national average.

Honestly Trump's relationship with black voters was likely terminally damaged the moment he jumped on the birther bus.

I don't think there's a damn thing he could do at this point and he likely knows it.

He didn't just jump on, he basically became the driver!

Alright now NYT is making shit up.

David fucking Duke has more support with black voters than Trump does

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ters-in-his-race-than-donald-trump-is-in-his/

I imagine there are a number of young voters that don't know Duke's history whereas Trump is blasting his shit for the country to see.

To be honest I'm not sure what appeal the GOP has to the black community, but there are still quite a lot of black Republicans.

I mean obviously there is a non-zero amount but in the grand scheme of things, no, there aren't a lot of Black Republicans.

kirblar

Literally pointless. There's too much cultural and political inertia for that ever to be feasible. A more realistic strategy is trying to stop the chronic collapse in the Republican Latino vote, although another cycle of Trumps and that might go the way of the majority of the black vote.
Given what happened in California, it's very possible that it only takes one Trump to lose them for generations.

KingV

To be honest I'm not sure what appeal the GOP has to the black community, but there are still quite a lot of black Republicans.

I remember reading an article during the primaries talking about how Romney only needed like 25-30% of the black vote to win in 2012. I don't think Trump can do anywhere near that this year, but it's not crazy to think that some future Republican can still be terrible with PoC but not the utter disaster trump has been and potentially win.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's even more comical that this is something that is coming out now. Pretty sure y'all got bigger problems than the black vote now.

Wilsongt

Nah... This is GOP's decades of racism coming home to roost and led by an orange blob. It's going to take them years to build any support with black and latino voters again.

Nah... This is GOP's decades of racism coming home to roost and led by an orange blob. It's going to take them years to build any support with black and latino voters again.

If they cared to, but I think this election cycle has shown that they really don't. White voters aren't enough of a majority anymore for them to ignore minorities, yet they continue to do so.

Imm0rt4l

The GOP is seriously delusional if they think they can actively shit on black people while trying to get the black vote. That's so disrespectful. I think the only people who'd urge trump to reach out to black folks are the same ones who make that fallacious claim that republicans like to make "Martin Luther King Jr. Was a republican!". Fuck outta here.

VariantX

Outreach from a guy who doesn't want black guys counting his money? That's a fantasy and a dream they need to wake up from. Address the damn elephant in the room, the decades of policies and rhetoric that put him as the presidential candidate.

I mean...

If he goes around attempting to appeal to blacks and hispanics, he alienates his racist base of voters that secured him the very nomination he seeks to defend. If I were staking my candidacy on getting the exclusive support of white bigots yearning for the good old days when men were men, women were women, and negroes (and hispanics) knew their place, I wouldn't attend their events either.

mclem

Oh, yes. Please, Trump, please work on your outreach to black voters. I cannot wait to hear what you have to say.

Just noticed the OP's name and lol. Classic.

On topic... Good luck. Even if Trump was the most black-friendly Republican ever, he's competing against the wife of the "first black president." HRC has been courting this constituency for decades. He had little chance even before he started actively pushing blacks away.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Wonder how these jokers feel now.

trump-black-preachers-e1448504265256.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Measley

Trump really burned that bridge when he went all in on Obama in 2012. Some of that shit he was spewing was textbook racism.

His treatment of Muslims, Latinos, and his attacks on BLM pretty much sealed the deal. People tend to forget that 25% of Muslims in America are African American, and that many respected figures in the black community and history are Muslim.

TreIII

Look on the bright side, Don. At least you'll always have someone like Stacey Dash in your corner. You deserve each other.

*points and laughs*

Trump really burned that bridge when he went all in on Obama in 2012. Some of that shit he was spewing was textbook racism.

His treatment of Muslims, Latinos, and his attacks on BLM pretty much sealed the deal. People tend to forget that 25% of Muslims in America are African American, and that many respected figures in the black community and history are Muslim.

the thing is, even if he didn't earn a single extra black vote, perception is reality for many people. it would have made many more whites and other peoples of color feel like they can get behind someone who "cares" about everyone. he could have taken the approach where he goes to black-sponsored events and lectures african americans on cleaning up crime and whatnot like a Bill Cosby might do, which is base would eat up. Bootstraps, personal responsibility and all that. That would have had the effect of growing support from white voters if nothing else. Worth.

The fuck does the GOP know about black outreach?
This always cracks me up. The exasperated black conservative who thinks the party would do so much better if they just told blacks people about their policies. Lol.

Look at how GW Bush did. Now look at his policies. He actually tried more than just bringing a values message to people and ignoring economic issues. Obviously he didn't crush it with support, but did better than those who followed.

Obviously Trump is a different beast but I find it hilarious how the Republican party works in the US.

Most Conservatives would pride themselves on putting economic issues ahead of social issues. And yet, the Republican party constantly shoots itself in the foot on social and racial issues, meaning it can never get into power to implement its economic agenda (thank god for that).

Here in NZ the National party - the "center-right" party that is really quite similar to the Democratic party - has been in power in commanding fashion through the last three elections primarily because our Prime Minister has been liberal on social issues like Gay Marriage. As a result they have been able to get away with wildly unpopular legislation like selling off state assets and ignoring the housing crisis.

You guys are really lucky that your conservatives are so stupid with this kind of thing. What does Trump have to lose from working with African American communities. Obama leaving office combined with a good effort from him could have seen a huge swing, especially if he was smart enough (and scary enough) to unite African American and White conservatives against Muslims and Mexicans.

Futureman

Haha wow, good luck Dirty Don.

wasn't that one poll a few weeks back 1% support from African Americans? What a disaster of a candidate. Specifically avoiding black events that he's invited to.

And yet, the Republican party constantly shoots itself in the foot on social and racial issues, meaning it can never get into power to implement its economic agenda (thank god for that).

Republicans have been bad at presidential elections lately, but they still have power. They control Congress currently (largest Republican majority since 1931).

NeonBlack

Anyone whose platform promised to keep non whites out of America and calls a random black guy his African American has my vote.

Has he made a tweet about the trump tower soul food? He can't wait for Martin Luther King day or black history month, so it won't be as effective as the mexican one

m0dus

Banned
After the taco bowl "outreach," one can only imagine what foods trump will tweet a picture of himself with to appeal to black voters. I eagerly await.

Garlador

No, all votes matter.
This needs more love.

But, yeah, too little, too late. Even If Trump DOES say he "loves the blacks". (I still can't believe those were actual words spoken by an actual presidential candidate in an actual election cycle).

Measley

What does Trump have to lose from working with African American communities. Obama leaving office combined with a good effort from him could have seen a huge swing, especially if he was smart enough (and scary enough) to unite African American and White conservatives against Muslims and Mexicans.

A good chunk of the conservative base are closet (and occasionally open) racists.

That's what he would lose.

There's a good reason Obama lost the white vote in both 2008 and 2012 despite Bush being one of the worst presidents in US history.

Or Hogmaws

who are we kidding we know it will be fried chicken and watermelon

I could see a Trump fish fry at Hezekiah's church. Or maybe at Eddie Long's.

edit: no, no. This is perfect for Pastor Keith Butler. "Name it and claim it" would be the perfect audience type for Donald.

ezrarh

Trump's party would rather make their votes count for 2/3rds (not allow them to vote at all) than reach out to them.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Republicans need to get their own house in order on black issues before they go telling anyone else their house is messy. Trump didn't orchestrate the tone-deaf Pavlovian response of "All Lives Matter" to Black Lives Matter, Trump didn't start the use of 'thug' as a proxy for 'black man' and 'welfare queen' as a proxy for 'black woman', Trump doesn't circulate phony infographs on black-on-black crime among peoples' Facebook feeds.

Trump's treatment of minorities is perfectly in line with the Republican playbook. They're not mad at the contempt, they're just mad that he's not codifying his language about it enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom