• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: G.O.P. Urges Donald Trump to Broaden Outreach to Black Voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Obviously Trump is a different beast but I find it hilarious how the Republican party works in the US.

Most Conservatives would pride themselves on putting economic issues ahead of social issues. And yet, the Republican party constantly shoots itself in the foot on social and racial issues, meaning it can never get into power to implement its economic agenda (thank god for that).

You guys are really lucky that your conservatives are so stupid with this kind of thing. What does Trump have to lose from working with African American communities. Obama leaving office combined with a good effort from him could have seen a huge swing, especially if he was smart enough (and scary enough) to unite African American and White conservatives against Muslims and Mexicans.

It would turn off many of his fiercest supporters for one.

After the taco bowl "outreach," one can only imagine what foods trump will tweet a picture of himself with to appeal to black voters. I eagerly await.

He's already started.

cinnamon-hitler-0-600.jpg

I remember reading an article during the primaries talking about how Romney only needed like 25-30% of the black vote to win in 2012. I don't think Trump can do anywhere near that this year, but it's not crazy to think that some future Republican can still be terrible with PoC but not the utter disaster trump has been and potentially win.

The last Republican to get that much of the vote was Richard Nixon in 1960 (32%, which as noted earlier in the thread, ran probably the most aggressive campaign of courting AA votes since the end of Reconstruction)

Since 1964, the black republican vote has varied between 4% (McCain) and 15% (Nixon 1968, Ford 1976).

Bush Jr. in 2000 and Republican Jesus in 1980 and 84 both hit double digits, but the trend currently is declining.

I can't see a candidate like Trump on the ticket reversing that (but then again, no Obama either)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
To Trump, Black voters are like the speed of light. He can use tremendous energy to get to a small fraction of it, but would literally require infinite energy to reach a whole black person.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is kind of the definition of lipstick on a pig.

You're asking a guy who has been publicly shitting and pissing on everyone for months to tuck in his shirt.

Empty

The last Republican to get that much of the vote was Richard Nixon in 1960 (32%, which as noted earlier in the thread, ran probably the most aggressive campaign of courting AA votes since the end of Reconstruction)

Since 1964, the black republican vote has varied between 4% (McCain) and 15% (Nixon 1968, Ford 1976).

Bush Jr. in 2000 and Republican Jesus in 1980 and 84 both hit double digits, but the trend currently is declining.

I can't see a candidate like Trump on the ticket reversing that (but then again, no Obama either)

mad that gw bush still seems like recent history yet his share of black and hispanic voters in 2000 feels like a distant political reference point just like reagan, nixon and ford.

First thing that struck we was how strategically the business papers are placed, to reinforce the mythology that he has the slightest idea what he's doing.

Never forget

marla6n-1-web.jpg

marla-maples-435.jpg

EDIT: Just for those who aren't aware, that's his second wife, Marla Maples.

In 1990, he was married to Ivana, his first wife (for 13 years at that point), mother of Donald Jr, Eric and Ivanka. Marla was their mutual friend, but secretly had been Donald's mistress for the past couple of years. They were all on vacation in Aspen at the same time when Ivana figured it out, and it all blew up. Ivana and Marla had a big fight on the slopes, (verbally at least, and by some accounts physically), and shortly thereafter it was a big public scandal and the Trumps divorced a couple years later.

Then Donald married Marla less than a year after that, and they stayed married until 1999.

So the question is, why the hell does he have a laminated placemat that is a picture of Marla in the 80's? Who the hell knows.

Apathy

I can't believe that Omarosa is his black outreach director. That's gotta be like one if the two black people he knows, the other one being that one lady that's friends with his kids and spoke at the rnc

KingV

Wow, I didn't know that black support for Republicans has been so bad for so long. I mean, I knew it was bad, but I figured it was more run of the mill bad than dumpster fire bad for at least most of the last 30 years or so.

I agree that there's now way Trumo can do it. Trump is basically a failed candidate though. I am hoping that he becomes the impetus for the Republican Party to do some soul-searching on what the heck they stand for and start nominating people that arent crazed lunatics.

I've been a Democratic voter for a long time, but I would prefer a world where neither candidate is a terrible person.

Maybe the GOP could have made the outreach somehow viable by not treating the first Black President like a foreign invader.

I've been waiting for a Republican politician to quote that Chris Rock shit for what seems like forever. I really felt Trump would be the person to do it but he hasn't.

“We didn’t get any reason. We just got an email declaration,” said Marc H. Morial, the National Urban League president. “My view is that candidates who run for public office should work to appeal to every segment of the electorate.”
Lol

Da irony

So, hypothetically, there is a black person who has decided not to vote for Trump. But, who might be convinced to change his/her mind if Trump does...something.

I'm struggling to come up with the "something", and imagining this person (or people) just makes me sad.

Falifax

That's hilarious.

Come to think of it, who even puts a big plate of food on top of a pile of newspapers like that?

Somebody who needed a quick picture for damage control.

Seriously. Some guy probably approached Donny and said "Hey man, we need the Hispanics to like you again, so pretend you're enjoying this" and threw the bowl straight to the trashcan immediately afterwards.

Furyous

#AllVotesMatter

Thats how it works right?

*begins sarcastic voice*

Don't forget "all votes matter not just the white right ones. People need to realize all votes matter not just their votes."

*ends sarcastic voice*

If Trump is a billionaire then he needs to literally buy the black vote. Give everyone of us eligible black voters $15,000. Otherwise he is headed for one of the, as of today noting that this can change to a win for him, worst political defeats in American history.

The GOP for decades have sated their base with boilerplate social issues and dog whistle racism to distract from their shitty economic policies.

If they value conservative economic policies above all else, yet still want to reach out to a broader base, they're going to have to seriously toy with the idea of place some of the low hanging fruit they've been picking off of for years on the chopping block. Which of them is it: the gun lobby, closet racists, religious nuts, or climate deniers? These are the base they've cultivated for so long that it's become ubiquitous and cliche.

If I were a republican PR consultant in charge of rehabilitation their public image, I would seriously ask myself, which of these groups are worth holding onto going forward. For the long term viability and survival of the party, is the southern strategy really the hill worth they want to die on?

norinrad

How exactly is he going to do that? Even the devil has a better chance getting sane people to vote for him, when compared to Donald.

Iksenpets

Banned
The last time Trump tried to appeal to an ethnic group he ate a taco bowl. Do not pressure him to do this. He will make things even worse. He will somehow lose you that sad little 1% of the black vote you're still holding onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom