• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Life and Combat for Republicans at Berkeley

I wish the times would have investigated some of these claims and see if anyone outside this group has witnessed all of this alleged abuse, because it just sounds like total horseshit

Dude Abides

Banned
GAF consensus is completely deluded on this issue. This kind of thing is increasingly leading universities to be held in open contempt by much of the population. Just read the comments on any major news site when these stories of campus absurdities arise. The consensus is always ten to one against in all but the most extreme left-wing circles.

The public supports many of the policies of the economic left, but absolutely despises the excesses of the modern cultural left.

But the girl in the article says she's a fiscal conservative and social moderate. That trumps yahoo news comments I think.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You can be an advocate of small government.

Bringing in Ann Coulter and Milo Y. Just means you're an asshole bringing in more assholes. Republican has nothing to do with it.

The Republican platform is one dependent on racism and bigotry. It's at odds with school charters of being included. Give zero fucks that they get 1/10th of the minority experience.

Buckle

GAF consensus is completely deluded on this issue. This kind of thing is increasingly leading universities to be held in open contempt by much of the population. Just read the comments on any major news site when these stories of campus absurdities arise. The consensus is always ten to one against in all but the most extreme left-wing circles.
Comment sections on major sites are always terrible with people just showing up to complain about the subject.

Its like Youtube at this point, never scroll down. It never ends well and is a bad idea to take a consensus from them.

Kusagari

Tahmas sounds like a real douche.

And it's funny, because based off his skin color alone, he'll never be truly accepted by the vast majority of the GOP base.

You can be an advocate of small government.

Bringing in Ann Coulter and Milo Y. Just means you're an asshole bringing in more assholes. Republican has nothing to do with it.

Milo and Ann aren't just assholes. They are scumbags who have advocated for violence and harassment.

Like I can understand inviting, for example, Condi Rice or David Frum. But Milo and Ann are the political equivalent to high school bullies.

Veitsev

You do realize that I can say "don't promote Milo" and also "don't spill drinks on people" right? Those two are not mutually exclusive.

In your mind do you think these poor Republicans are just calmly stating their views when people ask them? Like they are just sitting there eating lunch and someone comes up and spills drinks on them? We are talking about people that make and carry binders defending Trump's policies, join student political organizations, etc. They are out there actively engaging in political conflict in support of racists and fascists. When you express/support hate you are going to get what you deserve. Antagonizing liberals, playing the victim, claiming "intolerance", is a common tactic among the right.

When you have the President saying hateful shit and someone wearing a MAGA hat and openly identifying as a Trump supporter they can't just divorce themselves from his message. When Republicans are trying to take away healthcare from 24 million Americans and use it to fund tax cuts for the ultra wealthy and you are going around waiving the Republican flag you are going to get blowback.

That feeling when your free speech is so oppressed because you're a Republican at Berkeley but the New York Times is giving you interviews and photos in their paper.

I mean, I don't have much sympathy for Berkeley republicans but this logic doesn't really hold up for me. If someone being interviewed for a magazine or newspaper means they can't have legitimate issues with expressing themselves safely then we're delegitimizing a lot of people/groups throughout our history.

Obviously if the GOP weren't advocating for marginalizing minority groups and suggesting that those views should be respected then they wouldn't face so much backlash, but saying that this interview happening means there is no issue reminds me of the "How can there be racism if our president is black" argument which obviously doesn't hold up.

But the simple solution is to stop supporting discrimination and oppression as a political platform and then people will probably stop spitting on this guy.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What should you do if people promote Milo

image.php

JordanN

Banned
Trumpers are actually in a powerful position right now.
They have enough members in congress to impeach Trump.

Being left wing means you can only fight the ideology war on a university campus. If they're tired of being looked down upon at university, share some of those senate seats to the democrats to get Trump removed. Otherwise, quit complaining.

Plumbob

Happy to say as part of the Cal Democrats I schooled these fools twice in the Democrat-Republican debate on campus

boiled goose

good with gravy
Flat tax rate. Lol.

Simple ideas for simple minds.

Berkeley Republicans are not just disagreeing legitimately on policy. They have invited open racists and bigots to troll or because they agree.

Persian Republican? Lol. If it was up to Coulter you would be kicked out of the country. But Yeah. Keep being Republican.
People don't just disagree with you. You're legitimately irrational.

And I'm fine with both. They know what they were getting when stanning for Milo and Coulter. I'm expecting Steve Bannon as their next invite.

Your argument pretty much boils down to if someone does something that you dislike, you will turn a blind eye to them if they get attacked. Is that your general stance for all walks of life and different situations? Or just Republicans?

Erevador

Milo has 2 million+ followers on Facebook. Anecdotal experience suggests to me that he is massively popular with young men. They see him as a countercultural figure and their sole defender in some kind of strange culture war that isn't widely understood.

Obviously he's a massive cultural figure, and it is weird that he is a right-wing one. This is an anomaly. It suggests something has really shifted in the youth culture in the last few years. He's some mixture of shock comedian and political agitator.

He didn't become popular for no reason. A lot of people (mostly young, mostly male) feel extremely suffocated by the environment on campus and in the culture at large. That's why they saw him as a rockstar, not because he was particularly coherent (he wasn't) but because of the enormously outsized reaction he would provoke in the people they despise.

The right-wing has completely taken over Youtube. And 4Chan. And Reddit, before they clamped down on it. What happened? Something enormous shifted between 2012 and 2016.

If you haven't been on a campus in the last few years, you don't know how tense the environment is.

People would like to wish away these undercurrents in the culture, but they can't.

If the mainstream left in America follows the playbook of the Jeremy Corbyn types, they will hand the future to the right. I see this future as more possible than some on here do, and I don't think it is a good scenario for anyone.

It will give me no pleasure to see myself vindicated over the next few years, but I think it's likely.

Plumbob

Don't leave us hanging.

What was their core argument for being a Republican?

Debate 1 on the economy:
- Rep debater: we can't tax job creators or it will hurt the economy.
- Me: That's not an argument against an equitable tax system. In fact, Reagan (whom they had a cardboard cutout off sitting on stage) thought it was an outrage that a bus driver should pay a higher tax rate than an educated professional.
- them (no response)

Toxi

Banned
College republicans are the saddest kind of republicans.
The most disgusting kind. I honestly have met more reasonable old Republicans than I have college Republicans. Most college Republicans are hateful little shits. It's like they're compensating for the more liberal parts of their generation.

Milo has 2 million+ followers on Facebook. Anecdotal experience suggests to me that he is massively popular with young men. They see him as a countercultural figure and their sole defender in some kind of strange culture war that isn't widely understood.

Obviously he's a massive cultural figure, and it is weird that he is a right-wing one. This is an anomaly. It suggests something has really shifted in the youth culture in the last few years. He's some mixture of shock comedian and political agitator.

He didn't become popular for no reason. A lot of people (mostly young, mostly male) feel extremely suffocated by the environment on campus and in the culture at large. That's why they saw him as a rockstar, not because he was particularly coherent (he wasn't) but because of the enormously outsized reaction he would provoke in the people they despise.

The right-wing has completely taken over Youtube. And 4Chan. And Reddit, before they clamped down on it. What happened? Something enormous shifted between 2012 and 2016.

If you haven't been on a campus in the last few years, you don't know how tense the environment is.

People would like to wish away these undercurrents in the culture, but they can't.

If the mainstream left in America follows the playbook of the Jeremy Corbyn types, they will hand the future to the right. I see this future as more possible than some on here do, and I don't think it is a good scenario for anyone.

It will give me no pleasure to see myself vindicated over the next few years, but I think it's likely.

"tl;dr white guys are getting pissed society is telling them they aren't the most important people on earth anymore, we have to protect their feelings"

The public supports many of the policies of the economic left, but absolutely despises the excesses of the modern cultural left.

Did you just cite the comment sections on public news feeds?

I'm sure you can find far better sources than that.

ryseing

There’s this idea that speech is violent, that simply by espousing a view that you don’t like I am attacking you, I am oppressing you, I am assaulting you. That view is fundamentally incompatible with a Western, liberal democratic society.

"Guys, I just want to give my opinion about how all minorities should be expelled from the country. Stop overreacting."

FFS.

Dude you have not responded to anyone who has called you out yet. You just keep posting bullshit.

Stop arguing in bad faith.

As someone who currently IS in university I can tell you you're full of shit. Step into any business or economics department and see how "left-wing" it is.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Your argument pretty much boils down to if someone does something that you dislike, you will turn a blind eye to them if they get attacked. Is that your general stance for all walks of life and different situations? Or just Republicans?

Have I not made myself incredibly clear?

Linkura

Much of the population? Reading comments on major news sites? Are you for real?

Debate 1 on the economy:
- Me: That's not an argument against an equitable tax system. In fact, Reagan (whom they had a cardboard cutout off sitting on stage) thought it was an outrage that a bus driver should pay a higher tax rate than an educated professional.
- them (no response)

Lol, these college Republicans do not know their history on Reagan.

They would probably have an aneurysm when they find out how many times Reagan raised taxes.

Arkage

Banned
Still cracks me up that there's people in these threads that think liberals are incapable of being assholes. Assholes are fairly evenly distributed IMO.

Linkura

Debate 1 on the economy:
- them (no response)

This is some sitcom-level shit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I guess Avatar is the greatest movie ever made.

pigeon

Banned
Still cracks me up that there's people in these threads that think liberals are incapable of being assholes. Assholes are fairly evenly distributed IMO.

Liberals are definitely capable of being assholes but so far it seems like being Nazis is pretty well limited to the right

I'm not even denying racist/sexist/homophobic types have gotten a boost in popularity because yeah, a bunch of straight white people got pissed off when the country went a little more liberal and minorities felt like they could challenge their default superior status. Milo types directly benefited from their newfound open racism and etc.

So what's your answer to that? How does letting Milo and whoever have a large speaking platform solve that? Are should we just tell minorities that no actually they don't matter so just shut up? I'm not sure what the argument being made is.

Oh, yeah, we're the ones who are out of touch with normal human behavior.

Well, yes.

Most people don't flip their lids when parents refer to their children as their birth genders; wear certain clothes or hairstyles; object to class lessons being taught because of some arbitrary lens through which they view the world; claim discrimination because they're not being addressed by a gender that was made up on Tumblr; cry foul because the food being served in the cafeteria is stealing from another culture; try to normalize and celebrate mental illnesses like autism and aspergers; act like it's a grave and terrible injustice that some people were born more fortunate than others.
And those are just the ines off the top of my head.

So yes. Roads do go both ways, you know.

Plumbob

There's a difference between shoving someone out of traffic and shoving someone into traffic. But you're right, both are pretty rude

Damaniel

Banned
Universities are incredibly unbalanced ideologically in favor of the left. You don't have to be a right-winger to concede this and acknowledge that it is a problem. When the teachers are 9 to 1 on the left (many on the far left), and the country is narrowly split down the middle, that signals a real disconnect.

These college students are not wrong to feel that they are in a precarious position in the social and administrative environment on these campuses.

It would be in everyone's favor to have more ideological diversity on campus and a clear stance from administrators in favor of the free expression of a plurality of political views.

Absurd and dangerous sentiment.

In other words, more educated people tend to be liberal. Big surprise.

For the poor little Republican snowflakes that feel under-represented in these horribly liberal universities, there's always schools that are more ideologically aligned with their beliefs - Liberty University and BYU for starters.

Well, yes.

Most people don't flip their lids when parents refer to their children as their birth genders; wear certain clothes or hairstyles; object to class lessons being taught because of some arbitrary lens through which they view the world; claim discrimination because they're not being addressed by a gender that was made up in Tumblr; cry foul because the food being served in the cafeteria is stealing from another culture; try to normalize and celebrate mental illnesses like autism and aspergers; act like it's a grave and terrible injustice that some people were born more fortunate than others.

So yes. Roads do go both ways, you know.

Wait, are you saying that it's the fault of those things that right wing types exist? Most bizzarely, that "normalizing mental illness and autism" is somehow bad or wrong?

I *eagerly* await your response.

Top Bottom