• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT - Top Russian Cybercrimes Agent Arrested on Charges of Treason

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/...ailov-russian-cybercrimes-agent-arrested.html

A senior official in the Russian cyberintelligence department that American officials say oversaw last year’s election hacking has been arrested in Moscow on charges of treason, a Russian newspaper reported Wednesday.

The arrest of Sergei Mikhailov, a senior officer of the Federal Security Service, or F.S.B., the main successor agency to the K.G.B., is a rare instance of turmoil in the country’s usually shadowy cybersecurity apparatus slipping into public view.

Mr. Mikhailov served in the F.S.B.’s Center for Information Security, the agency’s cyberintelligence branch, which has been implicated in the American election hacking. But it is not clear whether the arrest was related to those intrusions.

He was detained along with one of Russia’s leading private-sector cybersecurity experts, Ruslan Stoyanov, the head of computer incident response investigations at the Kaspersky Lab, which makes antivirus programs.

Alternatively, the detention of an official who would have been in a position to engage in the election hacking in America could indicate a good-will gesture to the United States, which has penalized Russia for the electoral meddling.

How convenient.

Ithil

Guess he annoyed someone high up, maybe beat them at poker or something, so they picked him as the fall guy.

gcubed

I think the opposite... Wasn't a fall guy, but a guy who leaked shit out or got caught by not being careful enough

>:)

jdqqXH1.gif

Trump: "Vlad, you gotta help me out buddy. CNN wont stop asking me questions about cyber. I dont know what to say!!"

Putin: "You tell them you dont know"

Trump: "They wont listen. You got no idea how lowlife these scum are. They will look for everything under the sun. They're all losers. I think they know what went down and I'm scared"

Putin: "There is nothing to worry. I will help you. But first the Seichin Oil pipeline..."

Trump: "Ok you got it whatever. I will talk to Rex. Just fix this mess!!"
BREAKING NEWS: A senior official in the Russian cyberintelligence department that American officials say oversaw last year’s election hacking has been arrested in Moscow on charges of treason, a Russian newspaper reported Wednesday.

Zynx

If he really did it, he should've been secretly given a damn medal. It's not like he betrayed HIS country.

Woorloog

Banned
Could this be cover up for hiding the agent? Basically retire the name but not really getting rid of him?

Though i guess covering trails is more likely

daveo42

Banned
Thank Putin, for wrapping that all up nicely. Now we'll never hear from him again and gain any info from his activities. How...convenient.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Timing is interesting.

Either people worked behind the scene against Putin's knowledge to influence the US election, and Putin had people dig to find who and they now found out and arrested him, or he had been involved at Putin's request and now Putin thinks things have backfired and he's trying to sort things out.

I see no gain from basically confirming that some were involved in the hacking. So I can only imagine that the dots-connecting that has been going on is causing investigations to be getting too hot.

If that's the case then I doubt it's the last we'll hear of it.

Sounds like standard Kremlin MO.

With all the scrutiny on Russian hacking and disinformation attacks, not just from the media but also from foreign services, Putin needs to send a strong message to involved FSB staff: no leaks, no whistleblowers, no turncoats - shut up or end up a traitor like your boss.

Pbae

This is getting more traction.

Rachael Maddow is just talking about this over all the other crazy stuff going on saying it's a huge smokescreen to cover up this.

Syncytia

Could just be some BS from Putin to give the media here something to run with - Look Russia arrested a guy for hacking the election! Result: further distrust and destabilization of the system.

Kenclops

Banned
Putin takes out the guys who could potentially expose the Russian hacking, those that were loyal to him. I expect this is how Trump will treat anyone who does his bidding when he doesn't want to be caught.

Sounds like Russia is cleaning house with people involved in the hacking to hide their trail.

That or they see things are starting to look grim for their Patsy-in-chief and are cutting bait while trying to spin it as not being directly connected to Putin. Expect to see a bunch of politically convenient to get rid of politicians and/or businessmen get rounded up by Putin in the coming weeks as co-conspirators while he distances himself from the Trumpster Fire, maybe even says some stuff negatively about him.

antonz

Kaspersky guy was likely a source of info to the west. It was discovered from where Hackers carried out the attacks.

It was typical Russian operation from another country. Problem is Intel community was able to track back to its source with assistance. Which immediately linked to people with power. So heads roll and Russia denies everything

When I read the spy PDF if I remember it suggested aspects of the DNC hacking were a bit of a rogue operation in Russia and the people involved in it were vulnerable to putin deciding to cut it, and string them up to cover up. Doesn't this fit in with that narrative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom